PDA

View Full Version : FBI investigated Max McGee for gambling

oregonpackfan
03-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Records through the Freedom of Information Act recently revealed that Packer Great Max McGee was investigated by the FBI for gambling.

The investigation period was late '72 through '73. The FBI had a tip that McGee might have been a bookmaker.

The investigation was finally stopped due to lack of evidence. McGee was never charged with any form of gambling crime.

http://www6.comcast.net/sports/articles/nfl/2008/03/02/Max.McGee-FBI/

Patler
03-02-2008, 07:01 PM
I heard this on the radio today. "Releases" like this kind of bother me. He was investigated, so what? They found nothing to charge him on. He may have done absolutely nothing wrong, but now there is an implication.

I wonder if he was even aware of the investigation? Could one of us or those we know have been investigated at one time or another for something, and not even known it?

packinpatland
03-02-2008, 07:06 PM
I heard this on the radio today. "Releases" like this kind of bother me. He was investigated, so what? They found nothing to charge him on. He may have done absolutely nothing wrong, but now there is an implication.

I wonder if he was even aware of the investigation? Could one of us or those we know have been investigated at one time or another for something, and not even known it?

In this case I say.........let the sleeping dog lie.

Patler
03-02-2008, 07:16 PM

Exactly. The investigated him 25 years ago. Why does something like that have to be made public now?

Harlan Huckleby
03-02-2008, 07:17 PM
luckily the statute of limitations has run out.

MJZiggy
03-02-2008, 07:20 PM

Exactly. The investigated him 25 years ago. Why does something like that have to be made public now?

Because he can no longer defend himself? It was probably made public because some reporter just stumbled across it, but it didn't need to be reported.

Patler
03-02-2008, 07:20 PM
luckily the statute of limitations has run out.

Ya, all that evidence they didn't find would really put him at risk otherwise! :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
03-02-2008, 07:22 PM
It was probably made public because some reporter just stumbled across it, but it didn't need to be reported.

Are you busting oregon's balls?

Ahh, heck, it needs to be reported. I want to read about, there's the need. Celebrities get to live in fancy houses and drink fancy beers, a few embarassing news reports is not such a high price to pay.

Patler
03-02-2008, 07:24 PM

Because he can no longer defend himself? It was probably made public because some reporter just stumbled across it, but it didn't need to be reported.

It surely did not need to be reported, as you said. After all, they found no evidence sufficient for charges. I wonder if the original source for this article is one that doesn't name names of subjects of current investigations unless charges are filed? If that is their policy, why name one 35 years old?

oregonpackfan
03-02-2008, 08:01 PM
At least the FBI did not charge McGee or fabricate evidence against him. Part of my reason for posting this tidbit is that we Americans have to be very careful that our intelligence agencies do not abuse their investigative powers.

A prime example of FBI misuse of power happened to Brandon Mayfield in 2004. When the bombing of a Madrid, Spain subway occurred, the FBI arrested Brandon Mayfield, a 37 year old lawyer from Portland, OR. The entire Portland Metro area was shocked.

The FBI alleged that fingerprints belonging to Mayfield were found on a detonation bag. Using elements of The Patriot Act, Mayfield was arrested, his office and home were searched and bugged. He was kept in prison for two weeks.

It turns out that the Spanish enforcement officials had warned the FBI before Mayfield's arrest that the prints were similar to Mayfield's but were not a match.

It turns out that the major "Crimes" Mayfield committed was that he had married an Egyptian Muslim woman and converted to the Muslim faith. Mayfield had never even traveled to Spain and had no connection to any form of terrorists group.

Mayfield later sued the FBI and the Federal government winning an apology and a $2 million settlement. For more info read on:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/29/AR2006112901179.html

falco
03-02-2008, 08:02 PM
At least the FBI did not charge McGee or fabricate evidence against him. Part of my reason for posting this tidbit is that we Americans have to be very careful that our intelligence agencies do not abuse their investigative powers.

A prime example of FBI misuse of power happened to Brandon Mayfield in 2004. When the bombing of a Madrid, Spain subway occurred, the FBI arrested Brandon Mayfield, a 37 year old lawyer from Portland, OR. The entire Portland Metro area was shocked.

The FBI alleged that fingerprints belonging to Mayfield were found on a detonation bag. Using elements of The Patriot Act, Mayfield was arrested, his office and home were searched and bugged. He was kept in prison for two weeks.

It turns out that the Spanish enforcement officials had warned the FBI before Mayfield's arrest that the prints were similar to Mayfield's but were not a match.

It turns out that the major "Crimes" Mayfield committed was that he had married an Egyptian Muslim woman and converted to the Muslim faith. Mayfield had never even traveled to Spain and had no connection to any form of terrorists group.

Mayfield later sued the FBI and the Federal government winning an apology and a $2 million settlement. For more info read on:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/29/AR2006112901179.html

well put OPF. at least in this particular case it was nice to see the government was held at least partially responsible.

Scott Campbell
03-03-2008, 06:48 AM
Some might be bothered by this sort of accusation, but I have a hunch old Max would get a kick out of it.

Badgerinmaine
03-03-2008, 05:40 PM
I agree with OPF--and yes, of course one could be under investigation without knowing it. I don't think the FBI always calls members of organized crime families to say "Hey, just a heads-up here, but we're checking you out, so watch yourself for a while".