PDA

View Full Version : zone blocking article

ND72
05-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Here's a great article i got on espn insider on the University of Minnesota zone blocking scheme...just some good reading for what we could possibly be seeing. Pretty similar to all the other zone idea's i know and have read...

ESPN.COM
Over the past several years, Minnesota has done a better job of consistently running the football than any other team in the country. Most college football coaches would agree that even though the Gophers have had some talented players, no staff has done more with less than Minnesota's -- particularly in the running game.

Glenn Mason, who has been named Coach of the Year in the MAC, Big Eight and Big Ten, is committed totally to the running game. Much like with the Denver Broncos, it doesn't seem to really matter who lines up at tailback for the Gophers. They all have success.

Every team in the country has some kind of zone blocking scheme, but Minnesota's looks different because of its efficiency. This is a credit to the offensive staff led by coordinator Mitch Browning. No one does it better, which is why coaches from all over the country study Minnesota every spring to see what it does differently.

When you watch the tape, though, it is not what the Gophers do that makes them unique, it is how they do it. Minnesota has made a total commitment to the running game and zone blocking. Commitment is an easy word to say, but the tape clearly proves that the Gophers' identity is formed by their ability to run the football.

What is zone blocking?
Zone blocking in the running game is when two offensive linemen work in tandem to block an area as opposed to each having a predetermined specific man to block. The concept calls for two adjacent linemen to come off in unison and hip-to-hip to attack a down defensive lineman or area. Depending on the charge of that defensive lineman, one offensive lineman will stay engaged on the defender, while the other will come off for the linebacker. The initial double-team at the point of attack provides movement and allows the offensive linemen to be aggressive because they have help if the defender pinches inside.
It appears that the linemen have double-teamed the down linemen and allowed the linebackers to go free. However, all four eyes of the offensive guard and tackle are on the linebacker while they are engaged in the initial double-team on the down lineman.

If the down lineman stays outside, the offensive tackle will stay engaged and the offensive guard will come off the initial double-team and block the linebacker.

If the down lineman pinches inside, the offensive tackle will go to the linebacker and the offensive guard will stay engaged and take over the down lineman.

Inside zone blocking

Launch play breakdown

Keys to Minnesota's zone blocking technique

1. The linemen stay hip-to-hip as they attack.

2. The linemen keep their shoulders square.

3. Most importantly, all four eyes of the two offensive linemen are on the linebacker as they double-team the down lineman.

4. The linemen must know who and when to take over the defensive lineman and who leaves to block the linebacker.

What separates Minnesota?
When watching Minnesota on tape, you see there are two things the Gophers do better than anyone in college football. The first is their ability to pull linemen on their outside stretch play. The second is their great technique in cutting defenders with legal cut blocks.

Pulling linemen on outside stretch
Minnesota does a great job pulling linemen on their outside stretch plays. Which lineman pulls is based on the alignment of the defense. This is actually a man-blocking scheme with the tight end blocking down on the defensive end and the guard blocking down on the defensive tackle. The offensive tackle pulls around for the outside linebacker and the center pulls around for the middle linebacker.

Outside stretch with man blocking

Launch play breakdown

Cut blocks

Minnesota linemen do an outstanding job of utilitizing legal cut blocks to chop linebackers to the ground. The reason they are good at it is they practice the block at full speed. Many teams in the country don't like to chop block in practice because of injury concerns. As a result, they never get good at it. Again, we mention the word commitment. The Gophers are committed to chop blocks and obviously practice them.

Cut blocks are illegal if two linemen are engaged on one defender at the same time or if an offensive blocker is blocking from the outside back in toward the line of scrimmage and blindsides a defender. As long as the defender sees the chop block coming, it is legal.

Summary
Minnesota is obviously well-coached and totally committed to running the football. Every college football team uses zone blocking, but no one does it as well as the Gophers.

Deputy Nutz
05-26-2006, 10:13 AM
This was a fantastic article on the zone blocking scheme and it should answer every question anyone has on the scheme or technique.

Noodle
05-26-2006, 11:29 AM
I have to agree with Nutz, and it pains me to say that -- very good article from ND72, the guru of line play

One thing to note is the article applauds the Gophers for practicing cut blocks at full speed. I've seen other articles saying, like this one does, that most teams don't practice cuts at speed due to injury, and I think Atlanta was one of those half-speed teams.

I think if you're going to do this, you better do it right, so full speed ahead. But I'd be interested in ND's views or of others who've actually done a lot of zone blocking -- did you guys practice at full speed? Would it have helped if you didn't?

Tarlam!
05-26-2006, 01:00 PM
This was a fantastic article on the zone blocking scheme and it should answer every question anyone has on the scheme or technique.

Yeah, well, I am a friggin dickhead, cause it was all X's and O#s to me.

ND72
05-26-2006, 02:13 PM
we never practiced full speed with cuts...our coach always called it NO CUT THUD...which meant we couldn't cut anyone on defense, but the defense could do what they wanted...real fair. Our OL coach designed a cutting "dummy" for us to cut full speed when just doing individual work.

Harlan Huckleby
05-26-2006, 04:18 PM

Tarlam, if you are going to be the NFLE commissioner, or whatever you got nominated for, you're going to have to maintain a little dignity & respectability.

Tarlam!
05-27-2006, 02:13 AM

Tarlam, if you are going to be the NFLE commissioner, or whatever you got nominated for, you're going to have to maintain a little dignity & respectability.

:shock: :shock: :shock: