PDA

View Full Version : JAY GLAZER reports FAVRE is DONE

Pages : 1 [2]

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Favre had spoken to Moss late last week and was willing to commit to more than just this season if Moss and the Packers could come to an agreement. But the Packers did not pursue Moss, who re-signed with the Patriots on Monday.

In his voice mail message to Mortensen on Tuesday, Favre said the Packers' lack of pursuit of Moss was not the driving reason why he retired.

"This is not about the Packers and who they got or who they didn't get. I get along fine with [Thompson] and I get along great with [McCarthy]. Do I agree with them all the time? No. But the bottom line is, none of that stuff affected my decision," Favre said.

McCarthy said he and Favre had never discussed bringing in Moss.

"But I can tell you one thing, never once in all my converstaions with Brett this offseason has he ever asked or told me that we had to have Randy Moss for him to come back and play," McCarthy told Mortensen. "Randy Moss' name never came up once. And it bothers me that [Favre's agent] has made this an issue."

BallHawk
03-04-2008, 11:14 AM
For some reason I have a weird "well that's that" feeling.

I'm sure it'll sink in later down the road.

Thanks for everything Brett. You've been an inspiration and a joy to watch for some many people.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 11:15 AM
4-12 team... he comes back...

13-3 team... he leaves...

I still don't get it...

I know. That's precisely where I'm at. The decision is entirely devoid of logic in terms of viewing Favre's competitive past and hunger to win. Just as he reaches the point where his team is championship caliber again...he quits.

However, you have to accept it and move on I guess.

packers11
03-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Maybe Donald Driver will convince him to stay :?

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Get off it. Being QB for the pack and any team is a 24/7 job for months on end.

Physically, yes. Mentally, no.

I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to quit for whatever reason. he could quit because the uniforms weren't changed to pink for all I care.

I just think claiming the MENTAL aspect as a reason for leaving is very odd. If you think otherwise, give me examples of other aging QBs who cited it as the reason they hung it up.

You are just flat out wrong.

It is the mental and EMOTIONAL part that sticks around.

As for QB..it is a poor attempt on your part. Most QBs don't get to his spot. So, how can we even compare. Most lose it physically.

gureski
How easy it must be for the armchair QB's to talk about Favre being a wimp for not wanting to go for an 18th year. Do you guys realize you sit on your back side while he plays on Sunday? He's known as the Iron Man. He's started how many consecutive games and nailed almost every record around and you guys are calling him wimpy and weak?

If it's so damn easy to keep playing then why aren't all star players around for 17 years or more? Maybe it's tougher than you think?

You guys may want to rethink your stance. You're making a rather shallow accusation. You go ahead and leave home for 7 months a year and push yourself physically and mentally ....day in and day out....and then talk about how wimpy it is to not want to push it to an 18th year. It's easy to forget that Favre's home is in the South. His family is in the South. After a certain period of time any human being is going to want to just stay home. He's not a wimp for saying he is tired or worn out. Look at the big picture and realize he's gone farther than anyone this side of Vinny Testeverde and Favre did it playing every game.

Fritz
No, Harvey. It makes no sense. Favre is not allowed to retire until after next season, when he has led the Packers to a Super Bowl victory.

That's it. All of this stuff is a bad dream.

Lurker64
4-12 team... he comes back...

13-3 team... he leaves...

I still don't get it...

Here's how it makes sense: Favre knows he can still play, and he doesn't want the world thinking he can't play anymore. A 4-12 season where he doesn't play very well doesn't really show this, but a 14 win season where he only has a couple of bad games is as good an argument for "still got it" as you're going to find.

What Favre doesn't want to do is continue to keep playing after he can no longer play the game at a high level.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2008, 11:17 AM
I think you are being a bit shallow in regards.

No, I think I'm being practical.

Football is a fucking game. If the mental challenges are so difficult that you can't bear to continue with it, then your priorities are screwed up.

I'm fine with 9-1-1 dispatchers burning out due to mental fatigue. I can understand.

I'm fine with brain surgeons burning out due to mental fatigue. I can understand.

I can't understand how a football player burns out due to mental fatigue. Favre can basically take 6 months off from ANY mental preparation whatsoever. Sure, he has to PHYSICALLY prepare for football continually, but he has no mental demands on him relating to football whatsoever right now.

If anything, he is mentally burned out from the RETIREMENT QUESTION...God knows we ALL are. That is his own damn fault as well.

Actually I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. If his reason was just that he didn't enjoy playing anymore or that his body can't handle it anyone more that would make more sense. But the reason he gave is not good enough for me to believe he will not regret his decision later.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Basically it was the studying that became to much according to Favre. He said every week it became to much as the season went on and he said he found himself trying to always top the previous weeks preformance.

I'm guessing hunting won't be as fun for him this year when that is ALL that he has to do with himself.

He's going to find that the mental work he put in was what made everything else in life enjoyable...both on and off the field.

Sitting on your ass in mental checkout mode 24-7 is not very enjoyable for anyone long term.

Leaper,

Get off it. Being QB for the pack and any team is a 24/7 job for months on end.

Burnout is burnout. Let the man enjoy is free time with his wife and kids. You, nor i, nor anyone else knows what he is going to do with his time.

But, i'm pretty sure it just won't be sitting around the house, watching springer, and eating mallomars.

Tyrone, your comments got me thinking - what does a crack addict actually do in retirment? Do you take on a new hobby, like staying sober? Or do you move on to other drugs? Do you travel, visiting crack neighborhoods in far away lands, like English teachers visiting London?

Well, like most good, normal americans..we crackheads like to buy an RV and travel the beatiful U.S. of A.

We love to drop in on friends and relatives and then overstay our welcome.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I think you are being a bit shallow in regards.

No, I think I'm being practical.

Football is a fucking game. If the mental challenges are so difficult that you can't bear to continue with it, then your priorities are screwed up.

I'm fine with 9-1-1 dispatchers burning out due to mental fatigue. I can understand.

I'm fine with brain surgeons burning out due to mental fatigue. I can understand.

I can't understand how a football player burns out due to mental fatigue. Favre can basically take 6 months off from ANY mental preparation whatsoever. Sure, he has to PHYSICALLY prepare for football continually, but he has no mental demands on him relating to football whatsoever right now.

If anything, he is mentally burned out from the RETIREMENT QUESTION...God knows we ALL are. That is his own damn fault as well.

Football is a game? WTF are you talking about. It is a job. There are millions of dollars at risk. It long stopped being a game when they were in hgh school and they realized it was CAREER.

Leaper, because YOU can't understand the mental and EMOTIONAL demands doesn't mean it is there.

You are descending into Partial like stupidity. Stop it now, before I lose respect for you.

Fritz
03-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Cool.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 11:21 AM
You are talking out of your ass.

No I'm not.

Favre has brought the burnout ON HIMSELF by using the entire off-seasons the last few years debating whether or not he was coming back rather than taking the time to mentally recharge.

ANYONE can be mentally burned out if they let themselves, regardless of profession. Successfully managing your time and stress levels are key for any human being. Burnout only occurs when you do not successfully manage those aspects of life. For some, there is no way to manage it...when you face life-and-death everyday in a hospital or in military service, burnout is a real factor each and every day. Granted, you know that going into those professions, but that is why those professions deserve our respect. I don't view football in the same context...although certainly the ability for burnout is still there if you allow it to consume you without allowing for time to recharge.

Favre clearly does not possess the capacity to successfully manage the mental aspects of his career at this point. Billions of people take their jobs home every night on this planet...and most aren't as fortunate as Favre to be able to walk away from their career with a fortune intact. He's very blessed in that regard to be able to walk away now and not be worse off for it.

Lurker64
03-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Isn't the better reaction to "Favre retiring" more of a group hug than whatever sort of acrimony is going on now?

We're all already upset by this, there's really no reason to take it out on each other.

GBRulz
03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Favre has brought the burnout ON HIMSELF by using the entire off-seasons the last few years debating whether or not he was coming back rather than taking the time to mentally recharge.

I didn't realize the off-season ended Feb 2 (when he made the announcement last year).

Perhaps you need to just take a breather. I think everyone is a little emotional right now.

Freak Out
03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Come on folks and get over it already. Were back to the good old days of wondering what kind of a QB were going to have on the team! :lol:

Fritz
03-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Can't we all just get along?

Kumbaya, man.

Harlan Huckleby
03-04-2008, 11:27 AM
We're all already upset by this, there's really no reason to take it out on each other.

I'm not upset, I think its cool that he left after a strong season. I thought he might play until he had a lousy year, this is better.

KYPack
03-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Jay Glazer from FOX just had a great interview on Rome.

He says the "Packers didn't get Moss so I'll quit" angle has no credence.

He basically broke the story and has found Brett quit because of the "mental fatigue" factor. he just couldn't go anymore and informed the team of that when he arrived at that conclusion.

I believe the guy

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm not upset, I think its cool that he left after a strong season. I thought he might play until he had a lousy year, this is better.

I have to think this is part of his reasoning. He didn't want to go out on a bad note...and although he isn't going on top, he's pretty close.

That is why I discount the "mental burnout" reasoning. I think Favre just feels he's gone as far as he needs to and wants to walk away before something bad happens. He knows he could still play. He knows he could still handle the mental strain. He just doesn't really want to roll the dice anymore.

I'm fine with that...just don't tell me you left because you can't handle it. You've earned the right to say "I want to retire before my leg gets crushed like Theisman." We'll understand if you THINK you don't want to try to handle it anymore.

Fritz
03-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Again: he is not allowed to retire until after next season, when he has led them to the Super Bowl and victory.

LA LA LA LA LA LA. I CAN'T HEAR WHAT BRETT IS SAYING CUZ MY HANDS ARE OVER MY EARS. LA LA LA LA LA...

Packers4Glory
03-04-2008, 11:37 AM
this is a really sad time. When I was a wee lil lad, I barely remember Dickey. tho i had a little football uniform w/ his name on it complete w/ the pads and helmet. its my first packer memory.

When I was old enough to know things, the Majik man was my fav player. I was crushed when he got hurt and in came this Favre dude who I couldn't pronounce his name.

Then this guy instantly turned me into a fan. He's been the guy running the pack most of my life and I have tons of memories thanks to him.

Now we got to start all over after experiencing one of the best to EVER play this game. Thats is a monumental fact that should start to sink in for some.

sometimes...change sucks my balls just a little too hard.

sepporepi
03-04-2008, 11:37 AM
It is typical Favre:

Expect the unexpected :lol:

He retired the way he played.

I was pretty sure 2 Years ago, he would retire and pretty confident he would come back this time.

Partial
03-04-2008, 11:38 AM
This is really pissing me off. Brett is no dumb hillbilly. He knows TT better than any of us, and no doubt knew the chances of TT signing Moss were slim to none. This is made-up media garbage, IMO.

This is not about Randy Moss. It is about a legend who has already long outlived the dream NFL career. Who else even considers coming back for an 18th season??

I am grateful for the 17 years he gave us. Can we please just honor his legacy today?

Sorry but this is a "what have you done for me lately" league. Favre is no longer a Packer, and I respect him for walking away, but he left this team when they counted on him the most, to get to the Super Bowl in 2008.

Agreed 100%

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Things Change
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vZAEt4W6rsc

Partial
03-04-2008, 11:39 AM
How about Chris Simms? Sure he's missing a spleen, but he played OK when he had one.

:lol:

Partial
03-04-2008, 11:41 AM
I've always said that Brett makes his decisions emotionally.

One day he wakes up and hear the news that Randy Moss signed with the Pats and he no longer had an excuse, a good exciting this'll be fun excuse, to work his 40 year old ass off one more time to play one more year in a career in which he has nothing left to prove.

During the last five years or so Brett has worked with personal trainers and committed to staving off the effects of age with grueling workouts. I think he's just not feeling it. Not the workouts, not the mini-camps, not the meetings, and certainly not training camp.

God bless him, he is a great guy, and he is the only athlete-hero I've ever had.

Enjoy the view from the tractor.

QFT

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 11:41 AM
If it helps anyone...he is why I am confused.

Favre near the end of last season...after/during most of the mental prep that he put in which he now points to as to why he is quiting...claimed that he felt like he WOULD return in 2008.

If he was so burdened by the mental toll of the game at that point, why would he claim that he was welcoming a return in 2008? I would figure that if it was such a toll that you would be saying the exact opposite.

I'm not upset Favre is retiring...he has earned the right to walk away whenever he wants. I'm just confused as to why because things don't add up.

Fritz
03-04-2008, 11:43 AM
This is really pissing me off. Brett is no dumb hillbilly. He knows TT better than any of us, and no doubt knew the chances of TT signing Moss were slim to none. This is made-up media garbage, IMO.

This is not about Randy Moss. It is about a legend who has already long outlived the dream NFL career. Who else even considers coming back for an 18th season??

I am grateful for the 17 years he gave us. Can we please just honor his legacy today?

Sorry but this is a "what have you done for me lately" league. Favre is no longer a Packer, and I respect him for walking away, but he left this team when they counted on him the most, to get to the Super Bowl in 2008.

Agreed 100%

Brett Favre? Didn't he used to be the Packers' QB?

Howz about Aaron Rodgers, huh? Is he gonna be the man, or what?

Noodle
03-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Favre left while he was on top. I couldn't be happier for him the way he shut everyone up, including me, with a friggin' lights out final run. Now, my memories of his final year will be him getting hoisted by DD after setting yet another record and of the Snow Game. Sweet.

Those who are pissing about Favre saying the mental part wore down don't know dick about competing at Favre's level. And it's silly to say no other QB wore out mentally -- really Poindexter, well tell me how many QBs played 200 straight games.

He's in the undiscovered country. And he's tired. Not to be.

PackerBlues
03-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Apologies to all, I am getting this new a little late, I have read all 14 pages in this thread, and now I need to vent a little too.............................

Well, Packers.com went all out and busted out the same exact web page they accidentally leaked last week. How classy. It shows about as much class as all you knuckleheads going on about how the rest of us should not use this occasion as an opportunity to bash Thompson..............While saying such priceless shit as "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out Brett."

Add to that all the bitching about the reasons for his retirement that have come out in the media. Not being able to commit himself mentally. Not knowing if he could commit himself 100%. Unreal to me that people would choose to harp about the excuse for retirement. Yet people right here in these forums are doing just that.

Personally, I am going with the Bus Cook excuse, in that Brett did not feel like Thompson was showing him enough "love".

I do not even have to try to bash Thompson. I am sure many of you will see it that way. But all I have to do, is point out what Thompson has done in Free Agency this year, and the "no love" theory suddenly has merit.

What does Thompson do to fix an O-line that anyone with half a brain could see was still in shambles after the 2005 dismantling.......................
He signs Joe Toledo. :roll:

Moss would have more than likely have stayed in NE no matter what, and was going to use other teams to drive up his salary offer from NE. That being said, even if Moss would have been serious about entertaining offers from other teams, I do not believe for one second that Thompson would have went after him, and more importantly, I do not think for one second that Thompson has the ability to attract any players that are worth chasing after.

The one final bit of irony in all of this, by retiring, Brett Favre has just forced Thompson to do something that he would not have done otherwise.............................. spend money. :whaa: :roll:

Zool
03-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Took ya long enough Tank.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=11517

Harlan Huckleby
03-04-2008, 11:49 AM

Agreed 100%

QFI (quoted for idiocy)

Every year there are about 12 teams with a realistic shot of making it to the Super Bowl. You can't expect Favre to wait until the Packers fall into the bottom half of the league before he retires.

I'm not sure that Rodgers in 2008 won't be as good as the 2008 version of Favre would be. Their skills are going in opposite directions.

sepporepi
03-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Enjoy the view from the tractor.

That brings up another question:

What should he do the rest of his life?

I can not image he ends up on TV.

I can not image he starts coaching (on a serious level)

I can not image he starts a front office job.

I think working the yard becomes pretty boring (even it is a BIG yard) after some years.

I fact to me the lack of alternatives was one reason I believed he will come back.

Fritz
03-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Apologies to all, I am getting this new a little late, I have read all 14 pages in this thread, and now I need to vent a little too.............................

Well, Packers.com went all out and busted out the same exact web page they accidentally leaked last week. How classy. It shows about as much class as all you knuckleheads going on about how the rest of us should not use this occasion as an opportunity to bash Thompson..............While saying such priceless shit as "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out Brett."

Add to that all the bitching about the reasons for his retirement that have come out in the media. Not being able to commit himself mentally. Not knowing if he could commit himself 100%. Unreal to me that people would choose to harp about the excuse for retirement. Yet people right here in these forums are doing just that.

Personally, I am going with the Bus Cook excuse, in that Brett did not feel like Thompson was showing him enough "love".

I do not even have to try to bash Thompson. I am sure many of you will see it that way. But all I have to do, is point out what Thompson has done in Free Agency this year, and the "no love" theory suddenly has merit.

What does Thompson do to fix an O-line that anyone with half a brain could see was still in shambles after the 2005 dismantling.......................

Moss would have more than likely have stayed in NE no matter what, and was going to use other teams to drive up his salary offer from NE. That being said, even if Moss would have been serious about entertaining offers from other teams, I do not believe for one second that Thompson would have went after him, and more importantly, I do not think for one second that Thompson has the ability to attract any players that are worth chasing after.

The one final bit of irony in all of this, by retiring, Brett Favre has just forced Thompson to do something that he would not have done otherwise.............................. spend money. :whaa: :roll:

I think your take on this is more disrespectful of Favre than Thompson. If you really believe Favre left because he didn't feel loved - "But all I have to do, is point out what Thompson has done in Free Agency this year, and the "no love" theory suddenly has merit" - than you are suggesting that a HOF QB actually believed he was not wanted, after having had a nearly career year for a coach who let him audible the game and a GM who put together a team that went 13-3. Do you really think Favre believed TT somehow thought the Packers would be better without Favre? I'd like to give Favre more credit than that.

I think the dude was, as he said, just tired out. All that practicing, all the studying, all the work that he had to do to get his body and mind ready.

To think of him as a petulant man-child who quite cuz Daddy didn't love him enough - nah, that's not Brett Favre, I don't think.

Brohm
03-04-2008, 12:01 PM
13-3 not sure what you want TT to do, especilly since what he has been doing has worked. I'll go with what Brett said and that he is just "tired." I remember about a month ago when the talk was how TT and MM had a sit-down with Farve and told him they want him back, without question.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 12:03 PM

Why don't you go and repost your spew from las off season instead of taking the time to compose another? I guess Favre just wasn't happy with his 13-3 regular season. I suppose it was everyone elses fault that things fell apart on him in the second half and overtime in the Giants game. I am sure Randy Moss and his one touchdown in the post season really would have helped.

Anyone think that Thompson's job would be a little easier if Favre didn't wait until the first week of free agency to announce his retirement? Don't you think that impacted some of Thompson's options?

Fritz
03-04-2008, 12:03 PM

Agreed 100%

QFI (quoted for idiocy)

Every year there are about 12 teams with a realistic shot of making it to the Super Bowl. You can't expect Favre to wait until the Packers fall into the bottom half of the league before he retires.

I'm not sure that Rodgers in 2008 won't be as good as the 2008 version of Favre would be. Their skills are going in opposite directions.

I luv ya, you old blue dog, but I strongly disagree with you here.

Lurker64
03-04-2008, 12:06 PM
To think of him as a petulant man-child who quite cuz Daddy didn't love him enough - nah, that's not Brett Favre, I don't think.

Agreed 100%. To think that Favre was honestly going to retire because his GM didn't give him the tools he needed to succeed is to greatly, greatly underestimate the man. Honestly, if Favre was going to throw a tantrum and quit because of lack of free agent signings after the first weekend, he probably wouldn't have made it 17 years in this league in the first place and he probably would have retired last year (unless he knew something about Frank Walker that we didn't.)

To be honest, I think that Favre's retirement has a lot more to do with how good a job that Thompson has done overall than how poor a job he had done. Favre realizes that the team now has the talent to succeed without Favre carrying it alone on his shoulders, and so he feels comfortable walking away since he's not abandoning people that depend on him and need him.

Harlan Huckleby
03-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Favre realizes that the team now has the talent to succeed without Favre carrying it alone on his shoulders, and so he feels comfortable walking away since he's not abandoning people that depend on him and need him.

Favre is Christ-like! :lol: Sorry Lurker, I really don't think Favre is worried about the team after he leaves, beyond wishing them well. He's leaving because he doesn't want to play anymore, nothing more or less.

Lurker64
03-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Sorry Lurker, I really don't think Favre is worried about the team after he leaves, beyond wishing them well. He's leaving because he doesn't want to play anymore, nothing more or less.

You're probably right, but I think that it's vastly more likely that "Favre feels okay walking away because he feels as though he doesn't need to carry the team anymore" than "Favre feels okay leaving because he's mad at Ted Thompson's inaction in the first weekend of Free Agency."

packinpatland
03-04-2008, 12:11 PM
I just heard a comment from a newscaster out of Milwaukee...........

'There will be a void, not just for the Packers, but for the entire NFL."

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 12:16 PM
I can not image he starts coaching (on a serious level)

I'm guessing he becomes a coach at the high school level...with no aspirations to go any further than that.

PackerBlues
03-04-2008, 12:17 PM
I think your take on this is more disrespectful of Favre than Thompson. If you really believe Favre left because he didn't feel loved - "But all I have to do, is point out what Thompson has done in Free Agency this year, and the "no love" theory suddenly has merit" - than you are suggesting that a HOF QB actually believed he was not wanted, after having had a nearly career year for a coach who let him audible the game and a GM who put together a team that went 13-3. Do you really think Favre believed TT somehow thought the Packers would be better without Favre? I'd like to give Favre more credit than that.

I think the dude was, as he said, just tired out. All that practicing, all the studying, all the work that he had to do to get his body and mind ready.

I do not think for one second that Favre is being petulant. I am sure that this was a hard decision for him to make, and a lot of different things factored into his decision. But anyone who says that Thompson's lack of activity in free agency had nothing to do with this, or that it could not have had anything to do with Favre's decision to retire...... is just plain full of shit. Was it the deciding factor, maybe, maybe not. I guess until Brett decides to write a book 20 years from now, all that any of us can do is speculate. Unless you are a complete jag off like zool or nutz, in wich case, you could speculate, posture, and bash everyone whose opinions you do not agree with. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheesehead Craig
03-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Just venting here:

I live in the Twin Cities and these Viking fans just couldn't be happier or more gloating if they tried. The vast majority now feel that the Vikes are the team to beat in the NFC North and that the Packers are back to below .500. This isn't just a couple of guys, it's going into the 30's now. Not such a good day to be in MN.

Partial
03-04-2008, 12:22 PM
March 4th fools!

Fosco33
03-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for everything, Brett!

Classic - your first completed pass is to yourself and your last pass was to an opponent.

Please, please -- just don't pull an MJ and come in/out of retirement. Enjoy your time away from the game - and get ready for what lies ahead.

SkinBasket
03-04-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm sure someone's already said this, but we're fucked.

That being said, I think next season will be that much more exciting.

Lurker64
But anyone who says that Thompson's lack of activity in free agency had nothing to do with this, or that it could not have had anything to do with Favre's decision to retire...... is just plain full of shit.

This is quite possibly the most idiotic thing anybody other than Tank has ever said on this message board. Other than making Faneca (who's on the wrong side of 30) the highest paid lineman in history of the game as a Packer, there's really not much we could have done in the first weekend that would have legitimately upgraded the team. The first wave of FA guys are the guys looking to be starters, and we're fine at pretty much all of the starting positions. Brett knows this, and in fact he's repeatedly pointed out how talented this team is. I'm sure Brett's the last guy likely to say "we've got to go out and get some guys more talented than the guys we have."

You're just looking for a way to spin this against Thompson, which is despicable.

Harlan Huckleby
I just heard a comment from a newscaster out of Milwaukee...........

'There will be a void, not just for the Packers, but for the entire NFL."

The biggest void is all the packer fans currently voiding their bowels. :lol: :lol:

I was impressed with ARod's Dallas performance. Anxious to see what he can do.

Guess I'm filled with the audacity of hope - yes we can!

Harlan Huckleby
03-04-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm sure someone's already said this, but we're fucked.

That being said, I think next season will be that much more exciting.

:lol: maybe both of these are true.

Partial
03-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I am now even more appreciative to the three rats I watched the posters game with. I will never forget that trip and the one time I ever saw a legend.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 12:27 PM
But anyone who says that Thompson's lack of activity in free agency had nothing to do with this, or that it could not have had anything to do with Favre's decision to retire...... is just plain full of shit.

I have to agree with PackerBlues on this.

Favre didn't blow up last year openly in the media for no reason. Favre was certainly in disagreement with the careful, measured approach to building the team.

If he was that disappointed last year, you have to think he is also disappointed this year when Friday, Saturday and Sunday roll around and there isn't one story of Green Bay making a play for ANY key free agent...despite being on the cusp of a trip to the Super Bowl.

I don't think it is just coincidence that Favre hangs them up after 3 days of complete inactivity in free agency...and in a confusing manner that suggests this was more of a hasty emotional decision, as Bus Cook is telling us more about what Favre thinks than the man himself.

MadtownPacker
03-04-2008, 12:33 PM
I am now even more appreciative to the three rats I watched the posters game with. I will never forget that trip and the one time I ever saw a legend.My too P. I will always remember you as the white boy I went with to see Favre at Lambeau. :five:

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 12:33 PM

I have to agree with PackerBlues on this.

Favre didn't blow up last year openly in the media for no reason. Favre was certainly in disagreement with the careful, measured approach to building the team.

If he was that disappointed last year, you have to think he is also disappointed this year when Friday, Saturday and Sunday roll around and there isn't one story of Green Bay making a play for ANY key free agent...despite being on the cusp of a trip to the Super Bowl.

I don't think it is just coincidence that Favre hangs them up after 3 days of complete inactivity in free agency.

And if this is fact than Favre is being a baby. He didn't need anymore weapons to beat the Giants except maybe a better situation at offensive guard, but he was the one that threw the last pick in over time. He is as much responsible as the next guy in the locker room. signing free agents isn't going to change that.

Lurker64
03-04-2008, 12:34 PM
And if this is fact than Favre is being a baby. He didn't need anymore weapons to beat the Giants except maybe a better situation at offensive guard, but he was the one that threw the last pick in over time. He is as much responsible as the next guy in the locker room. signing free agents isn't going to change that.

QFT

cpk1994
03-04-2008, 12:36 PM

This is quite possibly the most idiotic thing anybody other than Tank has ever said on this message board. Other than making Faneca (who's on the wrong side of 30) the highest paid lineman in history of the game as a Packer, there's really not much we could have done in the first weekend that would have legitimately upgraded the team. The first wave of FA guys are the guys looking to be starters, and we're fine at pretty much all of the starting positions. Brett knows this, and in fact he's repeatedly pointed out how talented this team is. I'm sure Brett's the last guy likely to say "we've got to go out and get some guys more talented than the guys we have."

You're just looking for a way to spin this against Thompson, which is despicable.I don't know about that, Merlin has made some vey solid efforts today! :lol:

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 12:40 PM
And if this is fact than Favre is being a baby.

Well, I'm not suggesting that was the MAIN reason Favre hung them up. He may have been strongly leaning that way for a couple weeks...and when Green Bay did nothing to improve the roster on the first weekend of free agency, it was the final straw.

Based on his outburst last year, I could certainly see that as a likely scenario.

As such, to say that lack of activity in FA had NOTHING to do with Favre's decision seems to ignore some glaring pieces to the puzzle that suggest otherwise. That is why I agree partly with PackerBlues.

Merlin
03-04-2008, 12:41 PM

You're just looking for a way to spin this against Thompson, which is despicable.I don't know about that, Merlin has made some vey solid efforts today! :lol:

Just keep proving the reality my friend, it never gets old.

Chester Marcol
03-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Is it just a coincidence that the Falmer's Almanac just came out and it forecasts a January colder than this last one?

In Brett's expressions, body language, and obvious dismal second half performance of the playoff loss I really felt Brett wanted to be anywhere else warmer than Green Bay that night. Shit. I didn't want to run out to pick up food and munchies for the game let alone stay out in it for 3 hours.

Lurker64
03-04-2008, 12:46 PM
when Green Bay did nothing to improve the roster on the first weekend of free agency, it was the final straw.

Favre should know well enough that the guys who would honestly improve our roster are not the guys who are signed on the first weekend of free agency. The first weekend of free agency is primarily reserved for players who are looking to be starters on their new teams. We didn't need any new starters (though we need one at QB now), so there was nobody out there that would have really been much of an upgrade available during the first week of free agency.

The guys who honestly would improve this team are depth guys and guys who are looking to compete for spots, instead of being anointed into them. Those are the guys that sign in the second wave of free agency.

If Favre got upset because we didn't improve the game during the first weekend of free agency, then honestly Favre is either an idiot or has really unrealistic expectations. It would have been practically impossible (or misguided) to improve this team during the first weekend of free agency.

I'm honestly perplexed that everybody here seems to think Favre is lying when he says that the reason he's walking away from the game is that he's mentally exhausted. If he was really mad at the front office folks, he's perfectly capable of saying something to that effect, which he did not. In fact, he specifically made phone calls to quash rumors that he wasn't returning because of lack of Moss or because he didn't feel wanted.

Merlin
03-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Those who are looking to blame is just human nature. The reality is that the Packers FA inactivity had a little to do with it, but so did his age, his family, etc. With of course the later having more to do than the former.

Thompson hasn't done a lot in FA with the Packers since his arrival. That is a fact. Favre expressed his displeasure with that the previous two seasons. That is a fact. To say that it didn't play a small part and to call that statement idiotic is just a plain emotional reaction, not a well thought out or logical response. In fact it is Thompson supporters don't want to hear so they lash out against any implication no matter how small it is.

Is Thompson to blame totally? Probably not. Is he part of the decision to retire, probably so. It's to the extent it was part of that decision that we do not know.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 12:49 PM
And if this is fact than Favre is being a baby.

Well, I'm not suggesting that was the MAIN reason Favre hung them up. He may have been strongly leaning that way for a couple weeks...and when Green Bay did nothing to improve the roster on the first weekend of free agency, it was the final straw.

Based on his outburst last year, I could certainly see that as a likely scenario.

As such, to say that lack of activity in FA had NOTHING to do with Favre's decision seems to ignore some glaring pieces to the puzzle that suggest otherwise. That is why I agree partly with PackerBlues.

Still, it is a lack of patience on the behalf of Brett. Thompson didn't do anything in the off season last year but still landed James Jones, and Donald Lee became a significant weapon, and Ryan Grant came out of no where to lead the team in rushing. Favre's lack of trust and patience in Thompson is then ridiculous.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm honestly perplexed that everybody here seems to think Favre is lying when he says that the reason he's walking away from the game is that he's mentally exhausted.

Only because he intimated toward the very end of last season that he felt like there was a good chance he would return...after he had already put in a considerable mental investment into 2007.

So what changed in the last few games of the year to convince him otherwise?

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Favre's lack of trust and patience in Thompson is then ridiculous.

No one is confusing Favre with being a future GM candidate.

Tom Brady, despite numerous rings, was still whining for a guy like Moss last season. NFL QBs like shiny new toys to play with.

swede
03-04-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm honestly perplexed that everybody here seems to think Favre is lying when he says that the reason he's walking away from the game is that he's mentally exhausted.

Only because he intimated toward the very end of last season that he felt like there was a good chance he would return...after he had already put in a considerable mental investment into 2007.

So what changed in the last few games of the year to convince him otherwise?

Again, the Brett that I think I know is comfortable making his decisions based on how he feels, and he didn't feel up to another season of getting his old body ready for another run at it.

Any one here under the age of 30 may not understand how depressing it is to go out and play flag football with the 20-year-olds from the office, see a sweet pass heading to the corner of the end-zone just for you, and then have your legs simply not get you there the way they once would have.

Willing your body to perform at a level it is slowly telling you it can no longer achieve creates a tremendous amount of mental pressure.

I think, as it was, Green Bay had about a one in eight shot at the Super Bowl this coming year. Randy Moss may have pushed us up toward one in four.

I cannot subscribe to any theory that holds Brett Favre retired because of something the Green Bay Packers organization did or didn't do.

He retired because he's 38 going on 39 and he felt for the first time that the amount of fun he was about to have, and the amount of success he was likely to achieve were not worth the pain, pounding, and mental strain he'd be sure to feel.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Any one here under the age of 30 may not understand how depressing it is to go out and play flag football with the 20-year-olds from the office, see a sweet pass heading to the corner of the end-zone just for you, and then have your legs simply not get you there the way they once would have.

I know this feeling, and I walked away at 33.
:D

cpk1994
03-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Favre's lack of trust and patience in Thompson is then ridiculous.

No one is confusing Favre with being a future GM candidate.

Tom Brady, despite numerous rings, was still whining for a guy like Moss last season. NFL QBs like shiny new toys to play with.WEll, he got that WR, and still din't get a ring with it.

BallHawk
03-04-2008, 01:50 PM
My biggest regret is that I never got to see him play.

Partial
03-04-2008, 01:57 PM

Fair enough, but how does that apply? The old dog had his best season in years and proved he was still one of the best in the business if not THE best.

BallHawk
03-04-2008, 02:09 PM
And now it begins to sink in that he's gone.

And it is so frustrating that this guy was a goddamn legend, nothing like him, and of the 15 years I've been alive I never saw him play in person. That's what is really upsetting to me. And there's nothing that can change that.

Cheesehead Craig
03-04-2008, 02:25 PM

Fair enough, but how does that apply? The old dog had his best season in years and proved he was still one of the best in the business if not THE best.
Recovery takes longer and longer as you get older. At 37, my football injuries I have received over the last year just won't get better it seems, plus it seems a new injury keeps popping up. The mental frustration with it wears on you.

Sure Favre had a great season, but he had to work far harder these last 2 offseasons to get to where he is now. At some point one just gets tired of trying to maintain that level of physicality. At age 25-26 it wasn't as hard to stay in shape. Now, it takes a lot longer and more out of you.

That's what I think the mental fatigue Favre is referring to. It's not the film study so much as the mental mindset to get an aging body up to NFL calibur level. The discipline to work out hours and hours a day and getting beat up week after week.

Cheesehead Craig
03-04-2008, 02:26 PM
And now it begins to sink in that he's gone.

And it is so frustrating that this guy was a goddamn legend, nothing like him, and of the 15 years I've been alive I never saw him play in person. That's what is really upsetting to me. And there's nothing that can change that.
Sorry to hear that man, I was lucky to see him 3 times. Twice at Lambeau and once at the Metrodome.

Bossman641
03-04-2008, 02:45 PM

Recovery takes longer and longer as you get older. At 37, my football injuries I have received over the last year just won't get better it seems, plus it seems a new injury keeps popping up. The mental frustration with it wears on you.

Sure Favre had a great season, but he had to work far harder these last 2 offseasons to get to where he is now. At some point one just gets tired of trying to maintain that level of physicality. At age 25-26 it wasn't as hard to stay in shape. Now, it takes a lot longer and more out of you.

That's what I think the mental fatigue Favre is referring to. It's not the film study so much as the mental mindset to get an aging body up to NFL calibur level. The discipline to work out hours and hours a day and getting beat up week after week.

I agree 100%. I think the mental fatigue is convincing himself to put in the physical work in order to be where he needs to be to succeed. Last year there were numerous quotes about Favre talking about how much more serious he had become and the amount of film study he put in. If anything, he was energized by the freedom given to him and leading all the young guys.

I don't think this is what has caused him to walk away. I just don't think he wants to put in the work; working with a personal trainer multiple times a week, the minicamps, but I think he will miss the competition come September.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 02:51 PM

Then the decision was based on a lack of desire to go through the PHYSICAL rigors...it has nothing to do with the mental mindset.

What you are saying is that Favre's body told Favre's mind to stop...it wasn't worth it anymore.

I agree that is the most likely scenario to occur for someone like Favre. However, I'm still confused over how anyone believes this has something to do with a mental mindset. It's 100% physical...Favre's mind would still be willing to run through a wall if his body let him.

Lurker64
03-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Then the decision was based on a lack of desire to go through the PHYSICAL rigors...it has nothing to do with the mental mindset.

What you are saying is that Favre's body told Favre's mind to stop...it wasn't worth it anymore.

At the risk of getting too much in to metaphysics, desire is a mental state. Favre's body tells Favre's mind what he's going to need to do to keep playing, and Favre's mind decided that it was more than he wanted.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 03:00 PM

I agree 100%. I think the mental fatigue is convincing himself to put in the physical work in order to be where he needs to be to succeed. Last year there were numerous quotes about Favre talking about how much more serious he had become and the amount of film study he put in. If anything, he was energized by the freedom given to him and leading all the young guys.

I don't think this is what has caused him to walk away. I just don't think he wants to put in the work; working with a personal trainer multiple times a week, the minicamps, but I think he will miss the competition come September.

Exactly. People here think it is just physical that stops you. Wrong it is the emotional and mental that stops you.

Early in Brett's career he didn't need to put in the physical work, now he does. Are the workouts strenuous..of course, but nothing he can't handle.

It is the mental and emotional that is stopping him. Knowing he has to go to the gym, knowing he has to eat right, knowing he can't slack off. For him, right now, it is all about his head and heart. He just, most likely, just can't fathom doing it again.

Anyone who works out..lifts hard, knows that going to the gym and eating right is a GRIND. The lifting is actually the easiest part of it. It is a LIFESTYLE. And, anyone who is serious knows you gotta take a break for a week every 2 months or so..and you don't work out 7 days a week. You just can't sustain it.

Football isn't what it use to be..back in the 70s and 80s when players showed up for training camp and got in shape. They were able drink beers and basically recharge for the season.

Nowadays they gotta work out all the time, they have more offseason meetings and whatnot. We all have read about how injuries are potentially caused by this increase.

Brett has been doing this for so many years. He is just mentally fatigued and his heart just won't allow him to face the grind that he knows he must start right now.

He prolly looks at his wife and kids and thinks...go workout, punish myself..or enjoy spending time with them and my family. You only have so many years with them.

I agree that once training camp starts he'll get that itch.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 03:04 PM

I agree completely.

Right now, Favre recognizes he doesn't think the work is worth it...but as reality sets in and Favre realizes he no longer will have that adrenaline rush that only being an NFL QB can bring, things are going to be grumpy at the Favre compound.

Favre has LIVED football for his entire life. Walking away is not going to be as easy as he thinks it will be...when he KNOWS he can still compete at a high level. If you know you are done...it is easier, but even then most retired QBs still say it is incredibly tough to quit. From what I've seen, Favre more or less is saying he just doesn't want to go through the grind...but I'm not sure he realizes just how much he will give up at this point by doing so. Does Superman really want to get in that crystal case to become Clark Kent for eternity?

Come August, he will start to realize that like a punch to the face. In March, it is easy to see the sit-ups and sprints as a pain in the ass. When the summer starts to wind down and football is in the air...THAT is when Favre is going to have to make his real decision.

People criticize Barry Sanders...but he did it right. He put in the effort...then right at the cusp of the season said no mas. Barry KNEW it was his time to go because the love wasn't there even when the payoff for all that work he did was at hand.

I saw Favre last year...we all did. There is plenty of love there. The payoff for that work is a long way away right now...it only makes sense he is physically and mentally wore down from a long season. As that payoff gets closer, the blood in Favre's veins will only boil more intensely. That is why many older, veteran NFL observers are stating that they aren't writing Favre off just yet.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Exactly. People here think it is just physical that stops you. Wrong it is the emotional and mental that stops you.

The mental decision relating to Favre revolved around WHY he should come back. He doesn't feel the risk (or grind) will outweigh the reward.

In terms of doing the physical aspects of preparation...Favre could still do it.

In terms of meeting the mental hurdles...Favre could still do it IF he felt there was a compelling reason to return.

In 2007, there was a compelling reason...records and a validation of a career to those who doubted him.

In 2008, there apparently isn't much of a reason to come back...other than winning a Super Bowl, which Favre clearly views as a long shot by his comments.

packinpatland
03-04-2008, 03:19 PM
"The Packers are like The Pips, and their Gladys Knight is gone."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/nfl_experts/post/I-can-t-even-picture-the-Packers-without-Brett-F?urn=nfl,69910

I just laughed when I read this.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

billy_oliver880
03-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Thank you Brett for making me the packer fan I am today.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 03:23 PM

The mental decision relating to Favre revolved around WHY he should come back. He doesn't feel the risk (or grind) will outweigh the reward.

In terms of doing the physical aspects of preparation...Favre could still do it.

In terms of meeting the mental hurdles...Favre could still do it IF he felt there was a compelling reason to return.

In 2007, there was a compelling reason...records and a validation of a career to those who doubted him.

In 2008, there apparently isn't much of a reason to come back...other than winning a Super Bowl, which Favre clearly views as a long shot by his comments.

You are making a HUGE leap.

At this stage he isn't even thinking about the season. It is then mental of facing the hurdle of preparation, of being disciplined, etc.

You just don't seem to get it that it isn't work hard vs. reward situation.

He is coming off a 13-3 season..everything points to a good/great season..yet, he cant face it...because it HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ACTUAL RESULT. It is the journey he doesn't want to face.

It is more like depression. No matter how much someone tells you life is good...all you can do is see the darkness..lie in bed. It wouldn't matter if Scarlett Jo wanted you and you had a great job...that doesn't change the peprception.

He is burned out. Top athletes burn out all the time..and when they are at the top of their game.

Tarlam!
03-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Big Cry. Cheers Mate. I am glad I saw you play. Chers, Mate. Sob.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 03:29 PM

Favre basically said as much. Have you read his comments.

Apparently YOU don't get it.

Brando19
03-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Wow...this is a sad, sad, sad day. I wanted him to announce that he was returning! Not retiring! This sucks. Now I want for him to announce he's returning to the Packers!
I wonder if TT would take Favre back a month from now if he wanted to return?

This is a sad day.

FritzDontBlitz
03-04-2008, 03:42 PM
I am waiting for the Reggie White "I changed my mind" moment myself.

Sparkey
03-04-2008, 04:21 PM

None of us can know how much work, both physically and mentally, that it took to get himself prepared to play at that level. Like Favre said, if he comes back and does not win a SB, then it was not worth it and what are the odds of him duplicating or improving on his 2007 numbers.

Plus, I still remember that look in the NFC Championshio game. I know the cold hits me like a ton of bricks now at the age of 41 instead of back in my twenties when I played pickup basketball games outside in shorts and a T in February when it was 10 degrees outside and was warm.

Partial
03-04-2008, 04:22 PM
WSSP is having all day coverage.

http://www.sportsradio1250.com/

go there and listen live. They have had Levens, Freeman, Wolf, Big Gilbert, etc on today. They will certainly have more to come as well.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 04:30 PM

Favre basically said as much. Have you read his comments.

Apparently YOU don't get it.

Really?

"I know I can still play, but it's like I told my wife, I'm just tired mentally. I'm just tired,"

What part of that voicemail don't YOU understand.

The part where you are confusing is the word succesfull. Success is the criteria where he measures himself, but that doesn't mean it is the reason he is retiring.

But, if you had read my post about burnout then you would realize everything he is saying is part of burnout. He is displaying the classic version..his standards are so high, blah, blah blah...which means he can't enjoy the game.

Go back to page 13 or 14 and read the stuff from the Doctor i posted.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 04:41 PM
"If I felt like coming back -- and Deanna (his wife) and I talked about this -- the only way for me to be successful would be to win a Super Bowl. To go to the Super Bowl and lose, would almost be worse than anything else. Anything less than a Super Bowl win would be unsuccessful."

Bottom line...that has NOTHING to do with being mentally burned out, and everything to do with recognizing there is nothing left to prove and no reason to put in the risk (or grind).

He is unwilling to prep if he isn't guaranteed success...and success to him at this point is winning the Super Bowl. He has no more records to break. He has no more things to prove.

That isn't mental burnout where you are depressed and don't want to get out of bed...as YOU suggest. He's clearly saying that he would come back if he thought it would be worth it...thus the "knowing he can still play" comment, but that in his opinion right now, it isn't worth it.

Thus...risk vs. reward.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 04:49 PM
"If I felt like coming back -- and Deanna (his wife) and I talked about this -- the only way for me to be successful would be to win a Super Bowl. To go to the Super Bowl and lose, would almost be worse than anything else. Anything less than a Super Bowl win would be unsuccessful."

Bottom line...that has NOTHING to do with being mentally burned out, and everything to do with recognizing there is nothing left to prove and no reason to put in the risk (or grind).

He is unwilling to prep if he isn't guaranteed success...and success to him at this point is winning the Super Bowl. He has no more records to break. He has no more things to prove.

That isn't mental burnout where you are depressed and don't want to get out of bed...as YOU suggest. He's clearly saying that he would come back if he thought it would be worth it...thus the "knowing he can still play" comment, but that in his opinion right now, it isn't worth it.

Thus...risk vs. reward.

Oh, so you ignore the quote that says he is mentally tired.

Again, you are wrong. the whole point of his "success" proves his burnout.

Here is from a doctor:

Description of Burnout
Burnout in sport is often defined as physical, emotional and mental exhaustion, but it is also described as the distress resulting from such exhaustion. It's a condition in which the athlete experiences stress over an extended period of time resulting in reduced motivation and interest in the activity. In short, you're worn out, tired of the sport, and don't ever want to see another racket, bat, or helmet again!

How could burnout possibly occur to individuals so committed to their sport, so excited by the thrill of victory, and so focused on continual achievement? Well, these positive traits of commitment and desire are often the very cause of the problem. Individuals who take their sport less seriously rarely experience burnout, but they never maximize their performance either. If you have experienced burnout, start by giving yourself credit that you care.

Causes and Solutions to Reverse the Onset of Burnout
There are many causes of burnout and it usually develops slowly over time rather than suddenly. Let's briefly examine three of the most common causes of burnout with solutions to reverse the onset of burnout. You may need to combine these solutions to meet your specific needs. If you are completely exhausted mentally and physically, and have already reached burnout, the only real solution is to take time off from your sport. Return to sport when you are ready again, with greater knowledge to avoid becoming another victim of burnout.

Cause: Pressure to Win
Whether you're struggling to break top 10 in the tennis world or just fighting to remain on your high school rugby team, too much pressure to win (from others or self-imposed) can be extremely frustrating when the results are not coming as fast as you expect. It's a vicious circle in that your ambition and drive to succeed actually causes your performance to decline. You eventually throw in the towel rather than patiently discovering the key to improvement.

Cause: Overworked and Lacking Fun
Whenever the fun of sport vanishes for an extended period of time, you're announcing your candidacy for burnout. You may become too serious or too intense about performing well and the whole point of the activity is lost. You spend all your time working on your sport and no time is left to live. Sport at any level should be fun, or performance will decline and burnout becomes more likely.

GrnBay007
03-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Still can't believe it....just doesn't seem real. :cry:

Partial
03-04-2008, 05:05 PM
There is some really good content on WSSP today. Lots of good interviews.

Partial
03-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Harlan gives a great interview and makes a great point.

All 5 big guys responsible for the resurgence of the Packers are gone now. Harlan, Wolfe, Holmgren, Favre, White

GrnBay007
03-04-2008, 05:17 PM
All 5 big guys responsible for the resurgence of the Packers are gone now. Harlan, Wolfe, Holmgren, Favre, White

:cry:

Bretsky
03-04-2008, 05:22 PM
This thread sucks and so does the asshole who started it :!:

oregonpackfan
03-04-2008, 05:27 PM

Aw, don't be so hard on yourself, Bretsky!

To honor Brett Favre, go outside and buy yourself a pair of Wrangler Jeans! :)

KYPack
03-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Now I got two women over here, crying their eyes out and drinking Bourbon.

It's like having FC and GBM on a crying jag!

Help me, Packer brothers and sisters!

Bretsky
03-04-2008, 05:54 PM

It's like having FC and GBM on a crying jag!

Help me, Packer brothers and sisters!

You got two chicks :knll:

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2008, 06:16 PM

You beat me to it by a couple seconds......

But really thought, this thread does suck and so does this whole fucking day. During class I was thinking about this crap and even now I don't feel like studying for all this shit I have to do. :pc: :pc: :pc: :pc: :pc: :pc: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Partial
03-04-2008, 06:23 PM

You beat me to it by a couple seconds......

But really thought, this thread does suck and so does this whole fucking day. During class I was thinking about this crap and even now I don't feel like studying for all this shit I have to do. :pc: :pc: :pc: :pc: :pc: :pc: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Yeah dude, same here. I have a book cracked right in front of me but I have no desire to use it.

Badgerinmaine
03-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Yeah dude, same here. I have a book cracked right in front of me but I have no desire to use it.

Maybe, but if you had crack, Tyrone would book over to you :smk:

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 07:00 PM

Maybe, but if you had crack, Tyrone would book over to you :smk:

Little is known about tyrone and brett. Often ty and brett would roll together, jockin the bitches, slappin the hoes...Ty favored crack..brett loved the vikes.

I saize to brett..that shit will kill you..brett said to me, "ty that shit will kill you."

I saize to brett, i ain't the qb of the greatest football team in amerikkka. Right then and there, brett breaks down and said, "ty, I tried to kick... but that shit just be callin' me man, it be callin' me, man... I just got to go to it!"

I saize, brett you gotsta quit it...I'll quit if you quit.

Brett went to rehab the next day.

Ty hit the rock the next day. Sometimes lyin is cool

vince
03-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Thank You Brett for making football fun again. You will be missed.

For all that he's given us over the past decade and change, Brett Favre doesn't owe us anything. No matter how silly his reasons for retiring sound to us, you pretty much have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

If Brett Favre wanted to retire because he thinks yellow pants make him look fat, well than I'd say "thanks for the memories Brett", same as I do now. I mean we knew that this was going to happen eventually, at least in the rational parts of us. This doesn't make it any less sad, but it does make a certain amount of sense.

QFT

Congratulations to Brett Favre for completing what, in my opinion, was the single greatest career in the history of football. Never before - and never again - will anyone grace the field with the same combination of passion, toughness, competitiveness, leadership, skill and performance.

We have been the luckiest fans on the planet to have enjoyed rooting for such an incredible player, and we should feel very fortunate to have experienced such incredible moments that he provided us all.

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES BRETT!

Freak Out
03-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Thank You Brett for making football fun again. You will be missed.

For all that he's given us over the past decade and change, Brett Favre doesn't owe us anything. No matter how silly his reasons for retiring sound to us, you pretty much have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

If Brett Favre wanted to retire because he thinks yellow pants make him look fat, well than I'd say "thanks for the memories Brett", same as I do now. I mean we knew that this was going to happen eventually, at least in the rational parts of us. This doesn't make it any less sad, but it does make a certain amount of sense.

QFT

Congratulations to Brett Favre for completing what, in my opinion, was the single greatest career in the history of football. Never before - and never again - will anyone grace the field with the same combination of passion, toughness, competitiveness, leadership, skill and performance.

We have been the luckiest fans on the planet to have enjoyed rooting for such an incredible player, and we should feel very fortunate to have experienced such incredible moments that he provided us all.

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES BRETT!

:glug:

I drink to that and second it. We will miss him of that there is no doubt...but we will never forget him.

Fosco33
03-04-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure why - but I'm not really sad, disappointed, upset, etc.

I've lived every second/snap of this era and enjoyed almost every minute of it.

In reality, this day has been coming for awhile. After the Giants game I was driving back with my brother and honestly felt there wasn't any reason for Favre to come back again and was OK with whatever decision he came to.

Now that it's happened, I'm happy for him. He got nearly every stat/record/highlight reel complete and millions of fans that want him back. He didn't leave 'on top' - but he left with people wanting more. It's a better end to a career than everyone (including die hard fans) asking him to call it quits.

Rastak
03-04-2008, 07:26 PM
I'd like to see if he really files his retirement papers with the NFL in a timely manner. If he doesn't, I'd say, and this is pure rastak speculation, that there is a 85% chance he tries to come back right before camp with Green Bay and a 15% chance he tries the same thing with another team.

If he files his papers right away, then I take him for his word, he's done.

FavreChild
03-04-2008, 07:28 PM

It's not bourbon, but it is going down smooth tonight.

Despite everyone's consolations, I still feel damn lucky to be a Packer fan, and forever proud of my man Brett Favre.

:alc:

Fosco33
03-04-2008, 07:28 PM
I'd like to see if he really files his retirement papers with the NFL in a timely manner. If he doesn't, I'd say, and this is pure rastak speculation, that there is a 85% chance he tries to come back right before camp with Green Bay and a 15% chance he tries the same thing with another team.

I've never been pissed at Favre - but I would be if he pulls the MJ and goes in/out of 'retirement'. If it's over - it better be over. Not fair to the team any other way.

MJZiggy
03-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Even though the Pack lost I am grateful to have got to see him play at Lambeau last season. He always won when I saw him in SF.

Seeing Favre play live at Lambeau is a Huge check-off on my "Bucket List." :)

I'm also so glad we went. It was the only time I saw him at Lambeau. Good thing we didn't put it off.

Rastak
03-04-2008, 07:31 PM

I've never been pissed at Favre - but I would be if he pulls the MJ and goes in/out of 'retirement'. If it's over - it better be over. Not fair to the team any other way.

Yea, Rodgers would be pissed too. TT might be if he made some deal for a vet QB. Honestly, after seeing part of the press conference I have to take the guy at his word. MM, who I do have a great deal of respect for, said they discussed all the scenarios and he decided to quit so that should be that I would think.

FavreChild
03-04-2008, 07:33 PM
He didn't leave 'on top' - but he left with people wanting more. It's a better end to a career than everyone (including die hard fans) asking him to call it quits.

He left on a high note, a la Costanza. You're right, Fosco, what better ending could we ask for?

I repeat - we are so lucky.

b bulldog
03-04-2008, 07:35 PM
My son and I got to see him play his last game. Thanks for the memories Brett and God bless you and your family. I think there is a chance he does come back.

Fosco33
03-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Even though the Pack lost I am grateful to have got to see him play at Lambeau last season. He always won when I saw him in SF.

I'm also so glad we went. It was the only time I saw him at Lambeau. Good thing we didn't put it off.

Last TD....
http://www.hostpic.biz/uploads/3fb0fc5dce.jpg (http://www.hostpic.biz)

Last play and time he walked off the field....
http://www.hostpic.biz/uploads/ceea095a40.jpg (http://www.hostpic.biz)

http://www.hostpic.biz/uploads/0aab4ed364.jpg (http://www.hostpic.biz)

:shock: :(

MJZiggy
03-04-2008, 07:39 PM
I need a hug, 007 and MJ?

:hug: (Sad hug)

I knew it would be a sad day when Brett retired. Funny I thought it had been a pretty good day until I got home...

b bulldog
03-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Ziggy, thank you for prodding me to keep my word to my son to take him to the NFC Championship game.

MadtownPacker
03-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Ziggy, thank you for prodding me to keep my word to my son to take him to the NFC Championship game.What? I dont get any credit for all the shit I talked to you about not going? YOu did the right then Bulldog. Your boy will never forget it.

BooHoo
03-04-2008, 08:02 PM
I never was able to watch Brett play at Lambeau but was able to see him play in Detroit a few times when I lived outside of Flint.
At my last Detroit game a fight broke out about 7 people down from me. Boy, they have weird fans.

MJZiggy
03-04-2008, 08:07 PM

Fair enough, but how does that apply? The old dog had his best season in years and proved he was still one of the best in the business if not THE best.Cause the old dog paid a price for that success...We only see him on Sunday. Does anyone remember what he said Super Bowl week? He said that within an hour after the end of a game, win or loss, he was already in the film room studying.

MJZiggy
03-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Ziggy, thank you for prodding me to keep my word to my son to take him to the NFC Championship game.

You're quite welcome. I'm glad you got the priceless memories.

GrnBay007
03-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I need a hug, 007 and MJ?

:hug: :hug: we need one of those group hug thingys

Harlan Huckleby
03-04-2008, 08:34 PM
I want to be between 007 & Ziggy in the group hugs. they have soft parts.

Brando19
03-04-2008, 08:37 PM
OH MY GOSH IT DOESN'T SEEM REAL! This is so freakin' hard to take in! I want to come home from work tomorrow and read, "Favre informs Thompson he made a bad decision. Ted welcomes him back!"
Come on, gunslinger! Give us another!

packers11
03-04-2008, 08:42 PM
OH MY GOSH IT DOESN'T SEEM REAL! This is so freakin' hard to take in! I want to come home from work tomorrow and read, "Favre informs Thompson he made a bad decision. Ted welcomes him back!"
Come on, gunslinger! Give us another!

I will still think that too until I see A-Rod starting under center in 2008 in the first season opener...

Until then... There is still a chance...

Scott Campbell
03-04-2008, 09:23 PM
I feel like a part of my life is over.

Overall, I'd say people are taking the news pretty well.

MJZiggy
03-04-2008, 09:54 PM
I want to be between 007 & Ziggy in the group hugs. they have soft parts.

You had your chance for hugs, pal, and you blew it.

falco
03-04-2008, 09:58 PM
its definitely a sad day for football fans and packer fans especially. I've been a packer fan all my life, since before Favre even (go figure eh). but life goes on - I'm excited to see what Rodgers brings.

Partial
03-04-2008, 10:03 PM

Agreed. And to think I wasn't going to go because I was broke at the time. I owe Madtown a huge amount of gratitude and will take care of him this year for helping me out. Without that crazy Mexi I wouldn't have ever seen a legend!

Partial
03-04-2008, 10:04 PM

I actually agree with you, and tons and tons of people in the media do as well. I wouldn't say 85%, but I could certainly see it happening. Competitors have to compete in everything that they do. You know he will be itchin for some competition come Sept

Iron Mike
03-04-2008, 10:05 PM
I need a hug, 007 and MJ? :hug: :hug: we need one of those group hug thingys

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/images/smilies/group000.gif

Partial
03-04-2008, 10:05 PM
The NFL assholes pulled my favorite brett favre tribute video from Youtube.

DannoMac21
03-04-2008, 10:07 PM
The whole day, I've sort of been brushing off this retirement and saying "Let the Aaron Rodgers era begin". Tonight, at 10:05, I suddenly feel it. It's starting to sink in. I'm 18 years old, and Favre was the only quarterback I've ever seen for the Green Bay Packers. I just watched a tribute on my local news station in Milwaukee, and I can honestly say I started to tear up greatly.

Thank you for everything you have given us, Brett. You were truly the best player ever to step on the gridiron.

Partial
03-04-2008, 10:14 PM
This one will have to do. The one with Nothingman by Pearl Jam got removed. Bastards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8kQpP1YdmI

Bossman641
03-04-2008, 10:20 PM
I feel like a part of my life is over.

Overall, I'd say people are taking the news pretty well.

Hahaha

packers11
03-04-2008, 10:20 PM
"welcome to the legends club"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWrcYxfwOVc

Bretsky
03-05-2008, 09:54 PM
JUST THOUGHT OF THIS: THERE IS ONLY ONE TO BLAME

PATLER !!!!!!!!!