View Full Version : JAY GLAZER reports FAVRE is DONE

Pages : [1] 2

Bretsky
03-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Just got a phone call from a buddy listening to XM Radio with this

Bummer

LL2
03-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Did Glazer post anything on the Fox sports website? I'll have to check....

gbpackfan
03-04-2008, 08:27 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7870944/Favre-has-decided-to-call-it-a-career

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

I might start crying. Really, I might.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Scott Campbell
03-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the good times Brett. See you in Canton.

Tony Oday
03-04-2008, 08:30 AM
He Will be back...

Partial
03-04-2008, 08:33 AM
:cry:

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 08:33 AM
I just won't buy it until I hear it from Thompson or Favre. Why would either Favre or the team allow word to leak out before an announcement is made? Thompson clearly isn't trying to be active in FA, so who cares if people know Favre is retiring? If Favre is leaning one way, but still not sure, letting this get out only makes it harder on him.

St. Vince
03-04-2008, 08:34 AM
It is a very sad day if this is true. This is a team with youth and great potential that just needs leadership. Thank you for your years of service to the greatest franchise in sports.

gbpackfan
03-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Don't buy it then. But where there is smoke, there is fire. I had a BAD feeling when it went up on Packers.com. Now this. Come on guys. I don't want to believe it either, but let's be real. It's over. Ugh, I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Partial
03-04-2008, 08:37 AM
I am very surprised he didn't play in the pro-bowl and announce it right away.

fan4life
03-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Mortenson is talking now on Mike and Mike in the morning. Mort is saying that Brett told McCarthy in a phone conversation last night (Monday night) that he is done.

Obviously not "the last word", but it sure doesn't sound good.

KYPack
Oh F.

Not this again.

Brett, either announce that you will play, or take me hunting with you and shoot me.

I can't take this anymore.

privatepacker
Just heard it on Mike and Mike. Time for a new era.

Partial
03-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Oh F.

Not this again.

Brett, either announce that you will play, or take me hunting with you and shoot me.

I can't take this anymore.

2nded

Bretsky
03-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Maybe Green Bay should have drafted Brady Quinn last year :lol:

Zool
03-04-2008, 08:40 AM

Think the Browns would take a 2nd round pick for him?

KYPack
03-04-2008, 08:41 AM

You were saving that one, eh B?

LL2
03-04-2008, 08:43 AM
This is just a gut feeling, but if Favre was going to come back he would've said so by now.

Partial
03-04-2008, 08:44 AM
It seems that everyone is skeptical. It's not like Jay Glazer hasn't been wrong before.

FavreChild
03-04-2008, 08:44 AM
ESPN.com now reporting it too.

NOOOOOOO!!!! :(

footballfever
03-04-2008, 08:46 AM
It was a good run, time to look to the future...... Thanks for the memories Brett

MacCool606
03-04-2008, 08:47 AM
And - don't be a stranger

FavreChild
03-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Are there any bars open yet?

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Wow! :shock: My favorite player and why I become a pack fan those many years ago. If this is true, I wish he could have went out on top. :(

KYPack
03-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Are there any bars open yet?

ESPN, Mike & Mike, the "saner" posters, shit this looks bad.

I'm a lot more scared than I was by the "phntom web page"

Partial
03-04-2008, 08:53 AM
SI still isn't reporting it, I am holding onto hope!

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Yep he's done, sad sad day.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2008, 08:56 AM
nfl.com, espn, foxsports, all now reporting he's done.... :(

Partial
03-04-2008, 08:57 AM
SI has it now. Man, this is a depressing day.

Noodle
03-04-2008, 08:59 AM
HOLY CRAP!!!

Those frickers who hacked the retirement webpage must have known something after all.

The No Fun League just got a lot more no fun.

Farewell, great one. You've got nothing left to prove.

Merlin
03-04-2008, 09:00 AM
There isn't anything at the usual sources: Packers.com, PackersNews.com, Brett Favre's site and jsonline.com is re-iterating the Fox Sports story. Although I wouldn't expect Packers.com to post anything until an official announcement is made.

If Favre did in fact retire, it was very disrespectful of any news agency to break the story ahead of a formal announcement.

Right now jsonline.com is getting bombed so it isn't like we shouldn't know if it's true or not within the next few hours.

red
03-04-2008, 09:02 AM
yuck :(

well, thats that

i suppose we need a qb now in the draft to back up a-rod

this sucks

packinpatland
03-04-2008, 09:03 AM
There isn't anything at the usual sources: Packers.com, PackersNews.com, Brett Favre's site and jsonline.com is re-iterating the Fox Sports story. Although I wouldn't expect Packers.com to post anything until an official announcement is made.

If Favre did in fact retire, it was very disrespectful of any news agency to break the story ahead of a formal announcement.

Right now jsonline.com is getting bombed so it isn't like we shouldn't know if it's true or not within the next few hours.

Media :roll: Whores.

PackerTimer
03-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Yes, this is truly a crummy morning now. Thanks for the memories #4.

KYPack
03-04-2008, 09:04 AM
The Biloxi Sun Herald quotes Brett's brother Scott as confirming Brett has told M3 he's quitting.

No way Scott would say that if it wasn't true.

There is no way I can even post about how this impacts me, the fans and the Packer world. It's one sad day, I'll tell ya.

pittstang5
03-04-2008, 09:06 AM
I can't believe this...everybody is reporting this. Is there anyway the reports are wrong and he's going to play this year, then retire.

I can't believe it.....Why Brett, Why!

Merlin
03-04-2008, 09:06 AM
On a side note for all of you Aaron Rodgers lovers, you get your wish to "usher in" a new era. A quarterback who has never had any competition for his position in the NFL just got handed the reigns of the most storied franchise in the NFL. So here's to an era of a young team carrying a QB who should know the role inside and out but of course doesn't. If Ted Thompson comes out and says he has faith in Aaron Rodgers and doesn't pick up any competition for the QB position, I want his head on a platter.

I just spoke with someone who met Aaron Rodgers in Las Vegas recently and he had two things to say 1) Rodgers worships Favre, 2) Rodgers is a cocky son of a bitch.

packinpatland
03-04-2008, 09:07 AM
New T-shirts being printed:

GOT BRETT?......................WE DID.

Bossman641
03-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the memories Brett. You will be missed.

Merlin
03-04-2008, 09:08 AM
I can't believe this...everybody is reporting this. Is there anyway the reports are wrong and he's going to play this year, then retire.

I can't believe it.....Why Brett, Why!

Well there is a glimmer of hope: Remember last year everyone was reporting he was demanding a trade because we didn't get Moss.

They way the media hangs on every word though, you can't be sure of anything. I prepared for this once the website "leaked", hell actually after the playoff loss.

I do find it rather odd that he this story broke the morning after Moss signed a contract with New England.

gbgary
03-04-2008, 09:10 AM
it's being reported all over the place now...the Brett era is over. :(

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2008, 09:11 AM
To think Favre made his decision based on Moss is foolish IMO.

red
03-04-2008, 09:11 AM
well espn.com says that bus cook has confirmed that favre told MM last night that he's done

someone has to say it. brett called to say he was done right after moss resigned with the pats after we didn't try to get him at all. seems to me like he was pissed

Merlin
03-04-2008, 09:12 AM
I didn't say he made his decision based on that but you know that is coming in some argument.

Sun Herald Story:

http://www.sunherald.com/185/story/409715.html

cpk1994
03-04-2008, 09:15 AM
it's being reported all over the place now...the Brett era is over. :(With one notable exception: The Packers themselves.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2008, 09:17 AM
it's being reported all over the place now...the Brett era is over. :(With one notable exception: The Packers themselves.

I like how everyone still has hope. :) Deep down I still am hoping this is wrong, but it just doesn't seem to be BS.

Partial
03-04-2008, 09:17 AM
To think Favre made his decision based on Moss is foolish IMO.

Evidently he agreed to commit for another year if Moss would have signed in GB according to ESPN. That is shady.

pittstang5
03-04-2008, 09:18 AM

I like how everyone still has hope. :) Deep down I still am hoping this is wrong, but it just doesn't seem to be BS.

Here, Here!

I'm not ready for this.

cpk1994

I like how everyone still has hope. :) Deep down I still am hoping this is wrong, but it just doesn't seem to be BS.I wasn't really trying to hope, I was just pointing out that the Packers website is the only one not reporting it.

FavreChild
That raving moron Skip Bayless is arguing on ESPN First Take right now that Brett is being a big baby and retiring because we didn't get Randy Moss.

Fuck off, Skip Bayless!

I need to turn off the TV now.

Can anybody spot me a beer???

oregonpackfan
03-04-2008, 09:19 AM
This "Doubting Thomas" will not believe Favre has retired until he hears it from Favre's or Thomson's lips! I have grown weary of all the rumors, false reports, second hand sources...

Partial
03-04-2008, 09:19 AM
The story won't load on JSO, but they say Bus Cook said Favre wanted to play but the Packers didn't show him enough love for him to come back.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2008, 09:20 AM
The story won't load on JSO, but they say Bus Cook said Favre wanted to play but the Packers didn't show him enough love for him to come back.

Meaning what? What did they need to show him?

cpk1994
03-04-2008, 09:21 AM
The story won't load on JSO, but they say Bus Cook said Favre wanted to play but the Packers didn't show him enough love for him to come back.Then Favre is acting like a spoiled child.

Merlin
03-04-2008, 09:21 AM
I am hoping all of the Randy Moss thing is media spin. The Packers didn't have a problem at WR, they had a problem at guard and RB depth. Moss wouldn't have put this team over the top and Favre knows that. They were already there last year. It could be that once again Thompson had some opportunities to go after a big name, any big name, and didn't.

Bossman641
03-04-2008, 09:22 AM
"Mortensen reported that Favre, who wanted the Packers to obtain Randy Moss when he was a free agent last season, had once again pushed for Moss to join the Packers. Favre had spoken to Moss late last week and was willing to commit to more than just this season if Moss and the Packers could come to an agreement. But the Packers did not pursue Moss, who re-signed with the Patriots on Monday."

I really hope this is just Mort talking and not Brett. If so, it makes Brett look poor IMO.

Partial
The story won't load on JSO, but they say Bus Cook said Favre wanted to play but the Packers didn't show him enough love for him to come back.Then Favre is acting like a spoiled child.

I agree, and I think its BS. I went from very sad to somewhat mad. If he would have commit to another year over Moss is clearly a selfish act. Everyone publicizes him as the ultimate team player but his actions these past several years have not reflected that at all.

cpk1994
That raving moron Skip Bayless is arguing on ESPN First Take right now that Brett is being a big baby and retiring because we didn't get Randy Moss.

Fuck off, Skip Bayless!

Can anybody spot me a beer???I hate to say this but, if that report is true, Then Skip Bayless is 100% correct.

red
03-04-2008, 09:23 AM

Fuck off, Skip Bayless!

you know, i can't really blame brett if thats the case. he's been begging for TT to get him some help for 3 years now, and TT hasn't done much of anything despite having a ton of cap space

this is the second year that favre wanted us to get the ultimate weapon. if the espn article is right, then brett was going to commit for more then this year if we got moss. we apparently didn't even try to get him

thats about enough for someone to say F*CK IT

if that story is true, it shows me TT wanted brett to retire

TheRaven
03-04-2008, 09:25 AM
On a side note for all of you Aaron Rodgers lovers, you get your wish to "usher in" a new era. A quarterback who has never had any competition for his position in the NFL just got handed the reigns of the most storied franchise in the NFL. So here's to an era of a young team carrying a QB who should know the role inside and out but of course doesn't. If Ted Thompson comes out and says he has faith in Aaron Rodgers and doesn't pick up any competition for the QB position, I want his head on a platter.

Gimme a break. First of all, the greatest QB in the history of the game just retires from our team and this is the almost immediate response. Why use now to take cheap shots at Rodgers and TT? TT has brought this team back to respectability. It was much more than Favre, no matter how great he was. So TT deserves more respect than that.

I just spoke with someone who met Aaron Rodgers in Las Vegas recently and he had two things to say 1) Rodgers worships Favre, 2) Rodgers is a cocky son of a bitch.

How is this a surprise then? Favre is a cocky SOB. If Rodgers worships him and has been playing with him for three seasons, he probably has picked up on some of the same mannerisms.

GoPackGo
03-04-2008, 09:25 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:?

pittstang5
03-04-2008, 09:27 AM
"Mortensen reported that Favre, who wanted the Packers to obtain Randy Moss when he was a free agent last season, had once again pushed for Moss to join the Packers. Favre had spoken to Moss late last week and was willing to commit to more than just this season if Moss and the Packers could come to an agreement. But the Packers did not pursue Moss, who re-signed with the Patriots on Monday."

I really hope this is just Mort talking and not Brett. If so, it makes Brett look poor IMO.

I just watched Mortenson on espn talking via phone. He said that he received a message from Favre and the message stated that Favre's Main reason for retiring was not being mentally prepared to grow through another season. Mortenson did day that Favre was dissappointed that Moss wasn't signed, but that wasn't the main reason.

- take that for what it's worth. But I can't believe Favre, after all these years, would quit because the Packers couldn't get a player that Favre may have wanted. It just doesn't fit Favre's MO.

Merlin
03-04-2008, 09:28 AM

Gimme a break. First of all, the greatest QB in the history of the game just retires from our team and this is the almost immediate response. Why use now to take cheap shots at Rodgers and TT? TT has brought this team back to respectability. It was much more than Favre, no matter how great he was. So TT deserves more respect than that.

How is this a surprise then? Favre is a cocky SOB. If Rodgers worships him and has been playing with him for three seasons, he probably has picked up on some of the same mannerisms.

This is nothing new about Rodgers. And since when is stating facts about our new starting GB "taking shots". Thompson has not brought in any competition since he was his very first draft choice for the Packers. You do not start someone who has never had any competition at the NFL level. Don't even start to turn this thread into a Thompson argument. There is no argument, Favre retired, this is our reality, deal with it or leave.

gureski
I'm still not sure this is happening. The comment from his agent about wanting to play another year leads me to believe that he may. That or he may leave and come back after a year. Either way, until I hear it from Favre in some official manner.....I'm not 100% believing. I believe he said he's retiring. I just don't know if he will really do it. I have a feeling he may change his mind. It wouldn't be the first time.

AtlPackFan

I don't get this. What would make him think Thompson would all of a sudden say "what the hell" and go after Moss? And if he was so adamant about wanting to play, why not ask for his release or a trade to a team that needed a WCO QB?

I don't want to see him in another uniform but if still wants to play and doesn't think the Packers are doing what it takes to make a run to Super Bowl, why not ask the Packers to trade hiim or release him so he can look for another team?

And before you ask, no...I don't know what other team. Tampa Bay with Gruden?

KYPack
I am hoping all of the Randy Moss thing is media spin. The Packers didn't have a problem at WR, they had a problem at guard and RB depth. Moss wouldn't have put this team over the top and Favre knows that. They were already there last year. It could be that once again Thompson had some opportunities to go after a big name, any big name, and didn't.

Hey Merlin,

Do me and everybody else a big, fat favor.

Don't use this very sad occasion to bitch about Thompson and how he should have done this, that or the other thing.

This is a sad day for all Packer fans, the greatest Packer of 'em all has has retired.

So we don't wanna listen to your weak bullshit about Thompson, OK?

Pacopete4
I'm not one to say they should listen to their players in what to do but if Brett Favre says he'l play for a few years longer if they help him out... then why the fuck wouldnt u?... stubborn TT ran Favre out finally

MTPackerfan
03-04-2008, 09:29 AM
ANyway you slice it, it is sad to see him retire, especially when it looked like he still had some quality football left in him and with the Packers being so close to going to the SB this season, why expect less next season?

cpk1994
03-04-2008, 09:30 AM

Fuck off, Skip Bayless!

you know, i can't really blame brett if thats the case. he's been begging for TT to get him some help for 3 years now, and TT hasn't done much of anything despite having a ton of cap space

this is the second year that favre wanted us to get the ultimate weapon. if the espn article is right, then brett was going to commit for more then this year if we got moss. we apparently didn't even try to get him

thats about enough for someone to say F*CK IT

if that story is true, it shows me TT wanted brett to retireTT has given him nothing? My god Brett had one of the top 5 recieving corps. last year. Give me a break with this BS.

Zool
03-04-2008, 09:30 AM

Dont bother Raven...its what he wants you to do.

Merlin
03-04-2008, 09:31 AM

Hey Merlin,

Do me and everybody else a big, fat favor.

Don't use this very sad occasion to bitch about Thompson and how he should have done this, that or the other thing.

This is a sad day for all Packer fans, the greatest Packer of 'em all has has retired.

So we don't wanna listen to your weak bullshit about Thompson, OK?

Letsee, am I bitching? No. But because of your hatred for me you have to spin it into something it isn't. Statement of FACT is not bitching, it is what it is, if you don't like it don't read it.

FavreChild
03-04-2008, 09:32 AM
This is really pissing me off. Brett is no dumb hillbilly. He knows TT better than any of us, and no doubt knew the chances of TT signing Moss were slim to none. This is made-up media garbage, IMO.

This is not about Randy Moss. It is about a legend who has already long outlived the dream NFL career. Who else even considers coming back for an 18th season??

I am grateful for the 17 years he gave us. Can we please just honor his legacy today?

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 09:32 AM

Are you serious? Favre has known for the last 3 years how Thompson has conducted his business and if he really walked away because Thompson wouldn't sign Moss then I am sad to say, but don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

I honestly think that Favre has burned out on the game, and realizes what he has to put in to play at such an exceptional level and he just doesn' have the energy to do it in the off season and in season with breaking down film at all hours of the night, running practices, and game planning. He is burned out, done with the game.

Like I said if it becomes known that he retired because he couldn't play catch with Randy Moss then I say fuck him. Let the Aaron Rodgers era begin. If Favre was just rumoring about Randy Moss so he could help Randy and Bus make a few extra dollars then so be it, I think it is wrong, but so be it.

Merlin
03-04-2008, 09:33 AM

Dont bother Raven...its what he wants you to do.

You haven't figured it out have you? You think you have but you haven't. I state this often but yet no one get's it. READ what is written. Take your personal emotions, your mind reading abilities, and whatever spin you think you can put on it out of it. READ VERBATIM.

Someday even you will be able to do it. I am a very logical and literal person. I do not write in emotion or use hidden meanings. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. How you interpret that or spin it is your problem, not mine. I use the words and their meaning to say what I mean, you use the words and some other meaning to twist them to what you think they say.

Zool
03-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Aaron
Rodgers

clap
clap
clap clap clap

lod01
03-04-2008, 09:34 AM

I agree, and I think its BS. I went from very sad to somewhat mad. If he would have commit to another year over Moss is clearly a selfish act. Everyone publicizes him as the ultimate team player but his actions these past several years have not reflected that at all.

Grow a brain. Do you beleive everything you hear before it comes from the horse's mouth? See link below for the way Favre is.
http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=11513

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 09:35 AM
This is really pissing me off. Brett is no dumb hillbilly. He knows TT better than any of us, and no doubt knew the chances of TT signing Moss were slim to none. This is made-up media garbage, IMO.

This is not about Randy Moss. It is about a legend who has already long outlived the dream NFL career. Who else even considers coming back for an 18th season??

I am grateful for the 17 years he gave us. Can we please just honor his legacy today?

Sorry but this is a "what have you done for me lately" league. Favre is no longer a Packer, and I respect him for walking away, but he left this team when they counted on him the most, to get to the Super Bowl in 2008.

Merlin

Are you serious? Favre has known for the last 3 years how Thompson has conducted his business and if he really walked away because Thompson wouldn't sign Moss then I am sad to say, but don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

I honestly think that Favre has burned out on the game, and realizes what he has to put in to play at such an exceptional level and he just doesn' have the energy to do it in the off season and in season with breaking down film at all hours of the night, running practices, and game planning. He is burned out, done with the game.

Like I said if it becomes known that he retired because he couldn't play catch with Randy Moss then I say fuck him. Let the Aaron Rodgers era begin. If Favre was just rumoring about Randy Moss so he could help Randy and Bus make a few extra dollars then so be it, I think it is wrong, but so be it.

OMFG

Am I serious? Please READ everything I have said from the point this issues was raised INCLUDING THE PART WHERE IT WAS INEVITABLE THAT SOMEONE WOULD BRING THIS UP AS AN ARGUMENT. Did I say I believed it? NO

SO ARE YOU SERIOUS?

BF4MVP
Thanks for the good times Brett. See you in Canton.
Seconded.

Yeah it sucks, but it was going to happen sometime..Time for the Aaron Rodgers era to begin.

Happy retirement, Brett. You've earned it. You were the best I've ever seen play.

BF4MVP
03-04-2008, 09:37 AM

I agree with everything you said here. Nice post! 8-)

packinpatland

I just watched Mortenson on espn talking via phone. He said that he received a message from Favre and the message stated that Favre's Main reason for retiring was not being mentally prepared to grow through another season. Mortenson did day that Favre was dissappointed that Moss wasn't signed, but that wasn't the main reason.

- take that for what it's worth. But I can't believe Favre, after all these years, would quit because the Packers couldn't get a player that Favre may have wanted. It just doesn't fit Favre's MO.

I haven't put much credence in anthing Mortenson says for some time now. Brett may indeed going to retire........but this 'message' sounds made up.....

GBRulz
Tears are certainly flowing right now. My phone has been ringing/texting off the hook for the past 30 minutes. I HATE being in MN, they don't show anything on the news here about it. Back home, programming would be interrupted!!

I am in complete shock, I never saw this coming. I still can't believe it.

Well, for those that claimed they were waiting for Rodgers and how Favre wouldn't quit without a rah rah farewell tour - kiss my ass and I hope you're happy.

Zool
03-04-2008, 09:38 AM
You haven't figured it out have you? You think you have but you haven't. I state this often but yet no one get's it. READ what is written. Take your personal emotions, your mind reading abilities, and whatever spin you think you can put on it out of it. READ VERBATIM.

Someday even you will be able to do it. I am a very logical and literal person. I do not write in emotion or use hidden meanings. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. How you interpret that or spin it is your problem, not mine. I use the words and their meaning to say what I mean, you use the words and some other meaning to twist them to what you think they say.

You're an asshole who talks down to people every possible chance you can. I have 0 respect for you and your pot stirring ways. You're scarcely here in good times and all over this place in bad times. You will never convince me otherwise so save your holier than thou diatribes for JSO.

You call for Thompson's head on a platter then 2 posts later say you dont write with emotion? Do you even realize what you're saying?

As I've said previously you only come to argue. You take the opposing viewpoint and see who will bite. I did this time in hopes that others will ignore you.

Sparkey
03-04-2008, 09:38 AM
I think Favre realized it would be damn near impossible for him to have a better season in 2008 than he did last year.

I mean, look at his numbers from 07 and then remember he was a 17 year veteran. He really was in a lose lose situation. It is unlikely he would duplicate his 2007 season. Anything less and he gets lambasted for playing too long and being one of those players that doesn't know when to hang it up.

Divisional Championship
NFC Championship game
SI Sportsman of the Year
28 TD's to 15 INT's
4,000+ yeards

What a great note to leave on.

MadtownPacker
03-04-2008, 09:39 AM
1 word - FUCK!!!!!!

Badgerinmaine
03-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Wow...Hard to absorb...I think it'll be good for me and everyone to take a deep breath and let things sort out a bit before deciding what everything means--it's too hard to think rationally when such an emotional jolt hits.

cpk1994
03-04-2008, 09:41 AM

I haven't put much credence in anthing Mortenson says for some time now. Brett may indeed going to retire........but this 'message' sounds made up.....Mort is the only one who reported the Moss thing and he has been flogging it for weeks. Now that Favre has apparently retired, he is trying to legitimize his BS story.

Merlin
03-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Anyone know if the Packers have announced a press conference yet? It would seem to me that they would have jumped on this to get the right words out to the public about the retirement before all of these rumors started to fly. Unless of course the Packers are trying to sway Favre into not retiring.

Packnut
03-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Thank You Brett for making football fun again. You will be missed. :cry:

Deputy Nutz
1 word - FUCK!!!!!!

Well, I said it more than once, but yeah sums it up pretty nice.

PaCkFan_n_MD
Am still in shock. This will not sink in and really hit me until week one in september.

cpk1994
As of right now, they have nothing on their website. THey are the only ones not reporting Favre's retirement.

Badgerinmaine
03-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Anyone know if the Packers have announced a press conference yet? It would seem to me that they would have jumped on this to get the right words out to the public about the retirement before all of these rumors started to fly. Unless of course the Packers are trying to sway Favre into not retiring.

I just went to the Packers website and there does not appear to be anything there whatsoever about the Favre situation or a press conference.

KYPack
03-04-2008, 09:43 AM

You're an asshole who talks down to people every possible chance you can. I have 0 respect for you and your pot stirring ways. You're scarcely here in good times and all over this place in bad times. You will never convince me otherwise so save your holier than thou diatribes for JSO.

You call for Thompson's head on a platter then 2 posts later say you dont write with emotion? Do you even realize what you're saying?

As I've said previously you only come to argue. You take the opposing viewpoint and see who will bite. I did this time in hopes that others will ignore you.

QFT, Zool, QFT.

You can chip that in granite and sign my name to it.

Merlin, take your weak ass Anti-TT diatribes and move 'em to another thread or stay in here and babble.

Nobody really gives a shit anyway.

Sparkey
03-04-2008, 09:44 AM
As of right now, they have nothing on their website. THey are the only ones not reporting Favre's retirement.

They can't report it until they receive the paper work from the NFL that he has officially retired. At that point, his salary comes off the books as well. How much more does that put them under the CAP ?

Looks like a solid vet backup is now needed at QB ? Who is available ?

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
I am going out to get an Aaron Rodgers jersey. I think he can start at least 100 games in a row.

red
i bet this is the best brett has felt in a long time

the pressures gone, the excitment is gone, he has nothing to worry about right now

the weight of the packer world is off his shoulders for the first time in 16 years

i bet he's breathing a big sigh of relief

Packnut

They can't report it until they receive the paper work from the NFL that he has officially retired. At that point, his salary comes off the books as well. How much more does that put them under the CAP ?

I think Collins is still out there.

Deputy Nutz

Crazy talk, the have Craig Nall.

The Leaper

Everyone is burned out with the game in March.

The problem is that when July rolls around, Favre is going to get itchy. The guy still has the skills to be a Pro Bowl caliber QB. You don't sit on that kind of skill when your team is a SB contender and say "I'm burned out" unless you want to live with being labeled as a pussy the rest of your life...especially after all Favre has accomplished so far that is DIRECTLY OPPOSED to the decision he just made.

If the team was crappy, or Favre's play was starting to decline, it would make perfect sense. This, however, makes no real sense.

cpk1994

Looks like a solid vet backup is now needed at QB ? Who is available ?Why wuould their website have to wait? NFL.com didn't.

dissident94
03-04-2008, 09:46 AM
To me it doesn't seem a coicidence that Favre retires right after Moss was signed. IT was a clear message to the team how he felt. To me it is bush league. The team should have gotten MOss last year yes. But I would not break the bank for him this year when we are solid at Wr. Bus cook has said Favre didn't think the team wanted him back. That may be true as well if Favre was backing the team into a corner every year with demands. I have been a huge fan, wanted him back. But if these reports are true I am glad he is gone.

Zool
03-04-2008, 09:46 AM
How about Chris Simms? Sure he's missing a spleen, but he played OK when he had one.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 09:47 AM

the pressures gone, the excitment is gone, he has nothing to worry about right now

the weight of the packer world is off his shoulders for the first time in 16 years

i bet he's breathing a big sigh of relief

Wait till July, when he should be reporting to camp. He will get depressed. Even more depressed in September.

red
03-04-2008, 09:48 AM
to answer the question, i think we're in the 35 million dollar ballpart right now with the retirement

we have a lot of spending we have to do to get above the cap floor, and not a lot of guys that have to be resigned

The Leaper

Let's see if he is feeling that way in August, when he realizes he still has the talent and ability...but has given up that roller coaster thrill ride that he will never get back again.

All legends face this point...and nearly all say they had regret about hanging it up even when it made sense to do so. The fact this makes little sense means Favre's regret is likely to be even greater once the leaves start to change.

Deputy Nutz
To me it doesn't seem a coicidence that Favre retires right after Moss was signed. IT was a clear message to the team how he felt. To me it is bush league. The team should have gotten MOss last year yes. But I would not break the bank for him this year when we are solid at Wr. Bus cook has said Favre didn't think the team wanted him back. That may be true as well if Favre was backing the team into a corner every year with demands. I have been a huge fan, wanted him back. But if these reports are true I am glad he is gone.

I am not a fan of Bus Cook at this point. It seems he didn't mind using Favre to get a better deal for Randy regardless how it made the Packers look as an organization.

GBRulz
03-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Who's house will I stalk now?

God, this absolutely sucks. I am grateful for seeing the "snow" game at Lambeau though as my last time seeing Brett play in person.

gureski
03-04-2008, 09:50 AM
I am listening to ESPN 540 and Mort is now reporting that Favre personally contacted him to say that his decision had nothing to do with R.Moss and his not signing.

I'm believing it now. Farewell to #4.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 09:51 AM
to answer the question, i think we're in the 35 million dollar ballpart right now with the retirement

we have a lot of spending we have to do to get above the cap floor, and not a lot of guys that have to be resigned

A couple of guards wouldn't hurt at this point. A back up QB, maybe some depth at tight end. Oh maybe a safety.

35 million, shit, hand out some doe to Greg Jennings, maybe a little to Ryan Pickett, shit I don't know how about give it all to Brett Favre so he would come back.

cpk1994
03-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Who's house will I stalk now?

God, this absolutely sucks. I am grateful for seeing the "snow" game at Lambeau though as my last time seeing Brett play in person.

Ryan Pickett's? :)

Merlin
03-04-2008, 09:52 AM

Yup, I sure did call for it. And will continue to call for it until he does what every other GM does in the NFL, bring in competition for the QB position. I don't think I have ever swayed from that position.

You have ZERO respect because you THINK you know everything. Sad really because afterall your shit stinks as much as anyone else's, including mine. The difference? I am man enough to admit it and you hide behind rhetoric and mob mentaility.

I don't talk "down" to people, I just remind them that their shit stinks too and that includes your sorry ass. Please re-read the previous statement a few times so it sinks in.

I am here in good times and bad, you just pick and choose what you want to jump all over. And somehow you make a blanket statement that is untrue but for whatever you believe it and that is YOUR reality, that doesn't make it true.

As for "stirring the pot" as you call it, any time someone in here doesn't go with the status quo the mob mentality kicks in. Just because someone disagrees doesn't mean they are trying to cause anything. It's small minds like yours that don't read what is written but take out of it some hidden meaning that never existed to further their agenda.

Sad really, all this bullshit over someone reading into something that was clearly not written.,

This is about Favre and here is your selfish ass making up shit as you go. NICE for someone that is supposed to be a role model for posters here. That explains a lot about the general mentality of mob rule here.

Chester Marcol
03-04-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm still not sure this is happening. The comment from his agent about wanting to play another year leads me to believe that he may. That or he may leave and come back after a year. Either way, until I hear it from Favre in some official manner.....I'm not 100% believing. I believe he said he's retiring. I just don't know if he will really do it. I have a feeling he may change his mind. It wouldn't be the first time.

I agree. Until they pry the football from Favre's "cold dead hands" and he actually comes out and says he's done, well, I'll still not believe it until week 1 and Rodgers lines up under center. His statement of wanting to play another year, if in fact he said that, leaves the door open.

NewsBruin
03-04-2008, 09:53 AM
<<I am listening to ESPN 540 and Mort is now reporting that Favre personally contacted him to say that his decision had nothing to do with R.Moss and his not signing. >>

So I can't bash the liberal east-coast journalist now? Dammit, Favre, take all the fun away from me.

Seriously, I'm glad I saw him play, I wish he would stick around until he has to be wheeled out onto the field, but I'm fine with him leaving on his own terms.

Thank you, Brett, for how you've changed this organization.

I hope Peyton Manning trips down a flight of stairs.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Wait till July, when he should be reporting to camp. He will get depressed. Even more depressed in September.

I agree completely.

I don't think Favre has really thought this through at all. He's an emotional guy, and he's once again letting his emotions get the better of him.

He's going to be a wreck come September if he isn't playing...when he knows full well he still has the ability to do so. Aging QBs that don't have the ability to still play all talk about how much they miss it...so knowing you still CAN play has to make it even worse.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Who ever said Zool is a role model to other posters? I am the role model around here motherfucker!!!!

GBRulz
03-04-2008, 09:55 AM
I hope Peyton Manning trips down a flight of stairs.

ty, I needed a good laugh.

Merlin
Packers.com is reporting that Favre let the team know he retired.

arcilite

Too bad all the reports say he told TT and Mccarthy days ago. Days before Moss was signed.

So take ur bullshit somewhere else.

Zool
03-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Yup, I sure did call for it. And will continue to call for it until he does what every other GM does in the NFL, bring in competition for the QB position. I don't think I have ever swayed from that position.

You have ZERO respect because you THINK you know everything. Sad really because afterall your shit stinks as much as anyone else's, including mine. The difference? I am man enough to admit it and you hide behind rhetoric and mob mentaility.

I don't talk "down" to people, I just remind them that their shit stinks too and that includes your sorry ass. Please re-read the previous statement a few times so it sinks in.

I am here in good times and bad, you just pick and choose what you want to jump all over. And somehow you make a blanket statement that is untrue but for whatever you believe it and that is YOUR reality, that doesn't make it true.

As for "stirring the pot" as you call it, any time someone in here doesn't go with the status quo the mob mentality kicks in. Just because someone disagrees doesn't mean they are trying to cause anything. It's small minds like yours that don't read what is written but take out of it some hidden meaning that never existed to further their agenda.

Sad really, all this bullshit over someone reading into something that was clearly not written.,

This is about Favre and here is your selfish ass making up shit as you go. NICE for someone that is supposed to be a role model for posters here. That explains a lot about the general mentality of mob rule here.

In my final reply to you ever, you couldnt be any more wrong if you tried. My shit stinks more than most and I could really give a fuck less what anyone thinks of me. Only reason you think there's a mob rule here is that everyone hates you. Its not just me. You know what you do and you know who you are.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Packers.com is reporting that Favre let the team know he retired.

That should erase any doubt. I hope he coaches the team ten years down the road. :)

gureski
03-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Packers official site has confirmation of the story now but the funny thing is that it's not front and center. It's part of their rotating stories. I guess Favre retiring isn't big enough to stop the rolling story lines. I know they will eventually drop the rotating story links but I still wanted to say it because it's funny. You look at the headline about Favre retiring and then it's flashing over to the top 5 defensive plays.

GBRulz
03-04-2008, 09:58 AM
packers.com won't even load for me.

well, they can just reload that page they used the other day.

cpk1994
03-04-2008, 09:59 AM
packers.com won't even load for me.

well, they can just reload that page they used the other day.Which is exactly what they did.

Badgerinmaine

Here's a list from CBS:
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/freeagents/position/QB

Brohm
GAME OVER MAN!! GAME OVER! :(

The Leaper
Favre is retiring because he doesn't think the team wanted him???

What a crock of shit, Brett. A huge, steaming crock of shit.

Deputy Nutz
Thinking about it, I would much rather see Favre go out with the game started streak in tact, his body in tact, and being voted as the starting QB in the NFC Pro Bowl.

cheesner
03-04-2008, 10:00 AM

This is nothing new about Rodgers. And since when is stating facts about our new starting GB "taking shots". Thompson has not brought in any competition since he was his very first draft choice for the Packers. You do not start someone who has never had any competition at the NFL level. Don't even start to turn this thread into a Thompson argument. There is no argument, Favre retired, this is our reality, deal with it or leave.
Listen you fucking dumb ass. I have bolded the opinions in your post. Are you blinded by your hatred of TT and your continual attacks on him that you lost the reality of yourself? Opinion and fact sort of blend in the muddled brain of yours?

Pull your fucking head out of your ass already you condescending bastard.

Badgerinmaine
03-04-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm still going to wait to hear from Favre himself and not his agent about why he's retiring before I rip him.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 10:01 AM
How long do you think it will take Brett Favre to actually hand in his walking papers to the League? He may have announced his retirement, but it is whole different turkey when you have to actually sign the papers and seal your retirement.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Thinking about it, I would much rather see Favre go out with the game started streak in tact, his body in tact, and being voted as the starting QB in the NFC Pro Bowl.

I'd rather see Favre retire with the belief that his team wanted him. I get the bad feeling this franchise is heading for disaster the way this has gone down. If Favre doesn't feel the team wants him, who would?

Zool
03-04-2008, 10:03 AM

I'd rather see Favre retire with the belief that his team wanted him. I get the bad feeling this franchise is heading for disaster the way this has gone down. If Favre doesn't feel the team wants him, who would?

I missed where he felt unwanted. Which site has that?

sepporepi
Merlin you have reached a point where I even do not read your post anymore, since I know without reading it what you will say.

It is getting lame to rip TT at any (un)fitting moment, it is not an argument anymore just blind and unreasenable hate. I don't expect any reasonable point of view or something I might think about in your post anymore, so I just skip them and read the next one without having problems to follow the thread.

I have a feeling I am not the only one...

You just state the same over and over again. If you are really interested in discussions and not just in offending as many as possible you might think about...

P.S.
I felt the same about woody about a year ago and just stopped reading his post.

swede
I've always said that Brett makes his decisions emotionally.

One day he wakes up and hear the news that Randy Moss signed with the Pats and he no longer had an excuse, a good exciting this'll be fun excuse, to work his 40 year old ass off one more time to play one more year in a career in which he has nothing left to prove.

During the last five years or so Brett has worked with personal trainers and committed to staving off the effects of age with grueling workouts. I think he's just not feeling it. Not the workouts, not the mini-camps, not the meetings, and certainly not training camp.

God bless him, he is a great guy, and he is the only athlete-hero I've ever had.

Enjoy the view from the tractor.

Merlin
03-04-2008, 10:04 AM

In my final reply to you ever, you couldnt be any more wrong if you tried. My shit stinks more than most and I could really give a fuck less what anyone thinks of me. Only reason you think there's a mob rule here is that everyone hates you. Its not just me. You know what you do and you know who you are.

Everyone "hates" me? As I have always said about people, whenever their argument can't be sustained, when they have no facts, they resort to name calling and hate speech. Sound familiar? And if you "could really give a fuck less what anyone thinks of me" then I am afraid you wouldn't have responded at all. You have it so backwards my friend. I don't argue for the sake of argument. In fact, I try not to argue. You forget I am married with children so an argument is not something I enjoy or seek. When I disagree, I disagree. And because I have the courage of my convictions and am NOT someone who follows the crowd for the sake of fitting in, and because I am truly someone who couldn't give a rats ass whether or not anyone "likes" me, it pisses you off. So you make shit up as you go and follow the crowd because your identity is defined by those you are around, not by who you are. Someday you will see that your "analysis" of me that you formed a long time ago is not even close to reality. Then again, maybe not. Crowd followers usually never have a thought that is their own.

Badgerinmaine
03-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Packers.com has this statement from Ted Thompson:
STATEMENT FROM PACKERS GENERAL MANAGER TED THOMPSON:

Brett Favre has informed us of his intention to retire from the Green Bay Packers and the NFL. He has had one of the greatest careers in the history of the National Football League, and he is able to walk away from the game on his own terms - not many players are able to do that.

The Packers owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude. He has given Packers fans 16 years of wonderful memories, a Super Bowl championship among them, that will live on forever. Brett's many accomplishments on the field are legendary. He leaves the game holding virtually every career passing record, plus his consecutive starts streak, which may never be duplicated.

The uniqueness of Brett Favre - his personality, charisma and love of the game - undoubtedly will leave him as one of the enduring figures in NFL history.

Amen.

cheesner
03-04-2008, 10:05 AM
bye Brett

Chester Marcol
For you hangers on and conspiracy theory buffs, Thompson does say "intention to retire" in his statement.

GBRulz
Where are you guys hearing that the Packers didn't want Brett?

Merlin
03-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Merlin you have reached a point where I even do not read your post anymore, since I know without reading it what you will say.

It is getting lame to rip TT at any (un)fitting moment, it is not an argument anymore just blind and unreasenable hate. I don't expect any reasonable point of view or something I might think about in your post anymore, so I just skip them and read the next one without having problems to follow the thread.

I have a feeling I am not the only one...

You just state the same over and over again. If you are really interested in discussions and not just in offending as many as possible you might think about...

P.S.
I felt the same about woody about a year ago and just stopped reading his post.

You and Zool keep thinking what you do. You are never wrong.

cpk1994
03-04-2008, 10:06 AM

I missed where he felt unwanted. Which site has that?His agent, Bus Cook said it, which is why it is wise to let Favre explain himself instead of automatically assuming Bus is 100% right. He is an agent afterall. Its his job to sitr up shit.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 10:07 AM

This just doesn't jive with me. Bus Cook is talking out of his ass because of his representation of Randy Moss. Cook is pissed that the Packers didn't push the price for Moss up by showing interest. I think that is the bottom line. I really don't believe shit that comes out of Cook's mouth, he was saying it last year. The bottom line is that the Packers were comfortable for the first time in 5 years of the Favre retirement talk because of the progress that Aaron Rodgers has made. I am sure the attitude in the front offices and with McCarthy was that they would be happy, thrilled if Favre came back, but if he retired they are now solid with Rodgers, unlike the previous 3 years with Rodgers as the heir apparent. If Bus Cook took this as a slight, then maybe he should have adviced his client to make his decisions early, or even ahead of time.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 10:09 AM

Favre's agent maintains that Favre was willing to continue playing, but decided to retire because he felt the team did not really want him.

Granted, I can't believe anything an agent says verbatim...but Cook also should know the most of anyone right now in regard to what Favre's thoughts are. He might not be completely accurate in his assessment in terms of wording, but I think the notion that Favre did not feel entirely appreciated has been building for several years now. As such, I think there is truth in what Cook says...even if Favre might not say it himself in that exact form.

GBRulz
03-04-2008, 10:10 AM
This stupid jackass on KARE 11, an NBC station in Minneapolis just said "Favre will probably be best remembered for his last throw that cost his team a trip to the SB". Yeah, dumbass, that's what he will be remembered by :roll:

Then again, I'm sure Queen fans are jumping for joy right now.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 10:11 AM
This stupid jackass on KARE 11, an NBC station in Minneapolis just said "Favre will probably be best remembered for his last throw that cost his team a trip to the SB". Yeah, dumbass, that's what he will be remembered by :roll:

I can tell you they are dancing in the streets of downtown Chicago right now.

Zool
03-04-2008, 10:11 AM
So for the second time in 2 years Moss and Buss use a Packers rumor to get where they really wanted to go? I hate Moss more now than I did in 1998. Moss was no more leaving NE than pigs will fly. He knows they only lost Stallworth on O. If this is true, then goodnight Brett. Was nice knowing ya.

Rastak
03-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Well, first off condolences to all Rats.

I was a little surprised Favre had his agent call the Packers. I know that's the sort of thing an agent does but after this many years I would have thought he'd personally call them. Not a big deal, just something I found interesting.

Fritz
03-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Oh man oh man oh man. It's sad enough news that Favre says he's going to retire. (I do say deliberately "says he is going to"0. That's tough news - and I don't recall many if any posters on this site, anyway, who suggested they wanted Favre to walk away because they liked Rodgers better.

But the way this is coming down really, really sucks. The stuff about his agent saying Favre wanted to come back but didn't feel wanted - how lousy is that? What a rotten way for all this to go down.

It sucks any way you cut it. If it's not true that Favre felt "unwanted" then shame on Bus Cook. If it is true that Favre felt unwanted, shame on TT for not having the awareness to know that Favre needs his ego stroked a little. And if it is true Favre felt unwanted, shame on him too for being so freaking fragile that he could actually believe that TT and MM didn't want him back. In my opinion - yes, opinion, but a strong one - TT and MM want a Super Bowl and are not so stupid as to think the route to get their next year is straighter and better with Rodgers than Favre. I absolutely do not believe that. They're not idiots.

Now I kinda dread all the posters who might come out of the walls and start that whole TT conspiracy thing. You know, the one where he wants all the credit so his secret desire is to rid the team of Favre so TT can take all the credit?

Sigh. A sad day, made miserable by the way in which this is going down. If only Favre had simply said he was happy to go out in the manner he is, that he's thrilled to be able to spend more time with family, etc. This soap opera exit is really depressing me.

GBRulz
03-04-2008, 10:14 AM

Favre's agent maintains that Favre was willing to continue playing, but decided to retire because he felt the team did not really want him.

Granted, I can't believe anything an agent says verbatim...but Cook also should know the most of anyone right now in regard to what Favre's thoughts are. He might not be completely accurate in his assessment in terms of wording, but I think the notion that Favre did not feel entirely appreciated has been building for several years now. As such, I think there is truth in what Cook says...even if Favre might not say it himself in that exact form.

I guess I'm not going to read too much into it. I mean if Favre really, truly wanted to keep playing football and a team didn't want him - he could have demanded a trade. I also don't believe he is retiring because of the lack of signings by TT. NO GM has ever gone out and got a big name WR for Favre, so it's not like this is anything new for him.

FavreChild

Oh no, I hadn't even thought of that yet. They better remember who their QB is before those dame FIBs dare celebrate.

cpk1994

Then again, I'm sure Queen fans are jumping for joy right now.If you go to vikingsmessageboard, they aren't jumjping up and down at all.

cpk1994
03-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Oh and ESPNEWS has now become FAVRENEWS.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 10:16 AM
This just doesn't jive with me. Bus Cook is talking out of his ass because of his representation of Randy Moss.

Fine.

However, if Favre is half a man, he comes out and tells his agent to shut the hell up. As an NFL legend and face of a franchise, you don't retire quietly and let your agent do the talking for you.

I'm very disappointed in how Favre has handled this...for several years now. Slinking out quietly and hoping it all goes away is wishful thinking. Be a man and explain yourself to the fans who have supported you for 17 years.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 10:16 AM

Oh no, I hadn't even thought of that yet. They better remember who their QB is before those dame FIBs dare celebrate.

I would be celebrating if I was them. This is like Christmas for those fuckers.

GBRulz
03-04-2008, 10:17 AM
well, let's think positive here. Ticket prices won't be as high this year!

FavreChild
03-04-2008, 10:18 AM
But the way this is coming down really, really sucks.

I totally agree with your whole post, Fritz.

But I'm going to look at it this way. The way it goes down is up to us. I am still not a TT fan per se, but this all has nothing to do with TT or Moss or anything else than a 17-year veteran -- one of the best the league has ever known -- earning his right to call it quits.

This saga is doing nothing to change Favre's legacy for me. Today's BS only matters if you let it.

Deputy Nutz
This just doesn't jive with me. Bus Cook is talking out of his ass because of his representation of Randy Moss.

Fine.

However, if Favre is half a man, he comes out and tells his agent to shut the hell up. As an NFL legend and face of a franchise, you don't retire quietly and let your agent do the talking for you.

I'm very disappointed in how Favre has handled this...for several years now. Slinking out quietly and hoping it all goes away is wishful thinking. Be a man and explain yourself to the fans who have supported you for 17 years.

I agree, I have not like how Favre has handled this retirement business for the last 4 or 5 years. I don't really care how he retires though, the fact is even if he came out and cried infront of the camera and got all emotional it doesn't change the fact that he is gone.

Badgerinmaine

That's the dumbest thing I've heard all morning. I hope that reporter wasn't a history major in college. :roll:

packinpatland
03-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Vinnie says it very nicely:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/sn/20080304/sp_sn/favreretirementthesaddestdayforpackersfans

KYPack
03-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Actually, I'd like to thank Merlin.

Screaming at him for posting something stupid was the best therapy I've had all morning.

I, and my dog, thank you.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Actuaslly, I'd like to thank Merlin.

Screaming at him for posting something stupid was the best therapy I've had all morning.

I, and my dog, thank you.

Shit, I gave my kids a time out because I was pissed. My kids now hate Brett Favre.

sepporepi
I am pretty sute TT would be more than happy to have Brett back, but it is also pretty he clear he did not change his approach to (re)build the team in order to please him.

I am not a believer in babysitting your 37year old superstar. TT stayed true to his beliefs, maybe he could have be "nicer" to Brett, talk to him more often in the offseason, I dont know, most likely no one does.

The buttom line is Brett has to have the fire to go through one more (off)season, if he doesn't think he want to, nobody should try to talk him into it or change decisions just to please him.

I have not the feeling MM and/or TT tried to push him out, they both are no idiots. He can still offer so much and they both know.

packinpatland

Fine.

I agree, I have not like how Favre has handled this retirement business for the last 4 or 5 years. I don't really care how he retires though, the fact is even if he came out and cried infront of the camera and got all emotional it doesn't change the fact that he is gone.

What are you talking about???? Reports say he called MM and TT.

Chubbyhubby
I'm watching First Take on ESPN right now and they are talking about Favre retiring. They are going to interview Doug Peterson about it.

cpk1994
Doug Petersen is up next on Bret Favre: First Take, I mean ESPN FIrst Take.

Packnut
03-04-2008, 10:21 AM

But I'm going to look at it this way. The way it goes down is up to us. I am still not a TT fan per se, but this all has nothing to do with TT or Moss or anything else than a 17-year veteran -- one of the best the league has ever known -- earning his right to call it quits.

This saga is doing nothing to change Favre's legacy for me. Today's BS only matters if you let it.

Well put. It's a non-factor. This was/is to important a choice by Brett for me to believe anything so trivial would matter.

mngolf19
03-04-2008, 10:24 AM

I can only tell you from my perspective that I will miss competing against Favre. I want the Vikes to beat the best, not just win because they are playing against inferior talent. And I believe Rodgers is inferior talent to Favre. No jumping from here, just alot of good memories.

Packgator
From the following article......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276034

"This is not about the Packers and who they got or who they didn't get. I get along fine with [Thompson] and I get along great with [McCarthy]. Do I agree with them all the time? No. But the bottom line is, none of that stuff affected my decision," Favre said.

Rastak

Fine.

What are you talking about???? Reports say he called MM and TT.

Hey, I think you are right, I misread that. I thought it said Cook called. Ok, that makes more sense.

oregonpackfan
03-04-2008, 10:25 AM
I am grateful for the 17 years he gave us. Can we please just honor his legacy today?[/quote]

Amen to that sentiment, sister!

Chubbyhubby
03-04-2008, 10:25 AM
On ESPN NEWS they are talking about Favre.

Merlin
03-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Just "stirring the pot" here but has anyone found out if there is an official press conference yet?

That part of it just seems WEIRD. An announcement this big should come from the Packers. Is this decision FINAL?

From the Official Brett Favre Site:

http://www.officialbrettfavre.com/news/story_01330467aab8/

Fritz
03-04-2008, 10:27 AM

Well put. It's a non-factor. This was/is to important a choice by Brett for me to believe anything so trivial would matter.

Yeah, I know, I know. But I do think the media - which in a sense includes us, I suppose - really "spins" stories, and this is good media - ratings are better if a controversy over such a seemingly simple story about retirement can be generated.

I very much like Brett Favre, and that's partly why I'm bummed about how this is happening. I think he had it in his power to make this happen in a way that could (nearly) assure everyone that he's ready to retire, that all are on good terms, that it's been great, and so on. And if that's not in fact the case, he also has the power to come out and say so himself, if he so desires. But to have Bus Cook speaking for him and intimating what he has - ugh. Makes me almost sick.

But I'll try to buck up, FavreChild. I will.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Just "stirring the pot" here but has anyone found out if there is an official press conference yet?

That part of it just seems WEIRD. An announcement this big should come from the Packers. Is this decision FINAL?

From the Official Brett Favre Site:

http://www.officialbrettfavre.com/news/story_01330467aab8/

Favre has to hand in his walking papers to the NFL before an offical news conference can be called by the team.

Thompson has stated that he was made aware of Favre's decision by Brett himself

Fritz
03-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Okay, let me just speak what might be the "secret fantasy" for a number of us:

Brett realizes he's made the decision prematurely - this kinda happened suddenly, emotionally, and really, he realizes he wants to play next year and that TT and MM want him back. So he calls off his retirement, says he's sorry, says he's been slightly misunderstood, and he's coming back.

Wow. I feel like sending that in to Penthouse Letters.

oregonpackfan
03-04-2008, 10:30 AM

I would still take Aaron Rodgers over Rex Grossman any day.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 10:31 AM

Brett realizes he's made the decision prematurely - this kinda happened suddenly, emotionally, and really, he realizes he wants to play next year and that TT and MM want him back. So he calls off his retirement, says he's sorry, says he's been slightly misunderstood, and he's coming back.

I sent something into penthouse letters once.

red
03-04-2008, 10:31 AM
i think i read somewhere where brett doesn't have a press conference set up

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I was just listening to ESPN raido and they read the message favre sent to Mort. It said that he retired because the mental part became to much, and he said that bus cooks comments were not all the way true. Favre said cook's comments were like a father, and while it may have some truth, it is not the whole truth.......or something like that.

Zool
03-04-2008, 10:33 AM

I would still take Aaron Rodgers over Rex Grossman any day.

Of any week of any month of any year. I'd take an injured Rodgers over a healthy Grossman. He still hurts the team less.

Deputy Nutz
I was just listening to ESPN raido and they read the message favre sent to Mort. It said that he retired because the mental part became to much, and he said that bus cooks comments were not all the way true. Favre said cook's comments were like a father, and while it may have some truth, it is not the whole truth.......or something like that.

I am no dummy, I told ya Cook was talking out of his ass.

Brohm
Article posted above mentioned a possible 4PM news conference from TT.

Fritz
This just gets weirder and weirder...like some of my fantasies, I guess.

What does that mean? That it's kinda true but kinda not?

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 10:34 AM

Not really.

Favre said there was truth in what Cook said.

KYPack

I know. I've thought the same stuff.

Brett gets the "retirement package" from the NFL.

He has to sign something. He doesn't feel like doing shit. It sits on his desk at his messy home office for 5 weeks. Everyone yells at him to sign it and send it in. Breet comes out of his funk and say' "screw it, mini's are over I'm playing"!

Then I wake up.

Merlin
PEachy, so basically this is a pre-retirement retirement? Meaning that fans will still hold out hope????????

That doesn't sound right, other players retire and have press conferences right away from a lot of team sources without papers filed.

Packers4Ever
03-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Come on, you guys who feel sure Brett felt unloved and that's why he's leaving, does that really sound like a Brett Favre comment? Of course not, even if he FELT it he would never say it, so let's get real.
It was reported on ESPN this morning that he'd said he knew he could still
play, physically, but it was the mental aspect of it that gets to him. Somebody on here said that just last week, that was much more likely.
The practices, the training, the constant getting ready when it was the game itself that he loved.

He's going to be on ESPN sometime over or right after the noonhour today so might do us well to catch that and hear him.

Funny, I was so sure weeks, months ago that when this day came I'd be
bawling my eyes out worrying over missing Brett and what do we do now? But it hasn't happened - yet. Maybe it needs to sink in more. One thing keeps being mentioned on TV right now is that everyone - including Brett himself - will remember his last play in the Giants game, the interception. It can't be helped, it is what it is.

bbbffl66
03-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Sad. Very sad. At least Rodgers is wearing dickeys old number. :D

oregonpackfan
03-04-2008, 10:36 AM
[quote="GBRulz"]This stupid jackass on KARE 11, an NBC station in Minneapolis just said "Favre will probably be best remembered for his last throw that cost his team a trip to the SB". Yeah, dumbass, that's what he will be remembered by :roll:

Count me at least one fan who will NOT remember him for the last throw resulting in an interception!

I will remember him for:

--his love of the game
--his many come-from-behind wins
--taking the Packers to the Super Bowl twice
--his incredible records for consecutive games played, wins, touchdowns, completions, yardage gained
--his team attitude
--his overcoming challenges in his personal life.

THESE are the things I will remember about Brett Favre.

Merlin
03-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Now you have to wonder if fan, media, friends, and teammates will weigh in an affect this decision. Something about it doesn't seem final too me. Although I was prepared for this after his last snap ending the season, like the web page thing a week ago, something smells!

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 10:37 AM

Not really

Favre said there was truth in what Cook said.

If you read it, Favre didn't want to blast Cook for saying the things he did, so he said there was some truth, not speaking for brett, but more for himself in regards to Brett.

MadtownPacker
03-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Even though the Pack lost I am grateful to have got to see him play at Lambeau last season. He always won when I saw him in SF.

Merlin
03-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Hope pulls a Reggie White, although in the same season with the same team.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Even though the Pack lost I am grateful to have got to see him play at Lambeau last season. He always won when I saw him in SF.

There is something magical seeing him at Lambeau.

packinpatland
I had planned on working today while listening to CNN with the primary results as 'background' noise. Instead I find myself flicking from one sports channel to another.
We were fortunate fans. We got to 'know' our QB, in a personal way. For me, maybe that's a part to why this hurts . He made the game fun, he made the press conferences fun, his golf tournaments, his baseball games......goes on and on. As fans of the Packers, of Favre, he made US special. The likes of someone like him won't come around again for a very long time, if ever.

Freak Out
I know its true now......I just heard it on NPR.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 10:40 AM
The mental part of the game became too difficult?

Again...crock of shit, Brett.

Don't tell me you can't handle film study and a little extra mental prep a couple months out of the year. It makes you look like a pussy. You aren't a nuclear scientist...you are a football player.

I would think the aches and pains physically would affect you far more than having to actually WORK a little with the grey matter between your ears for that $10M paycheck.

Rastak

You are hoping he signs with Carolina this season?

Deputy Nutz
I had planned on working today while listening to CNN with the primary results as 'background' noise. Instead I find myself flicking from one sports channel to another.
We were fortunate fans. We got to 'know' our QB, in a personal way. For me, maybe that's a part to why this hurts . He made the game fun, he made the press conferences fun, his golf tournaments, his baseball games......goes on and on. As fans of the Packers, of Favre, he made US special. The likes of someone like him won't come around again for a very long time, if ever.

What do you mean? Aaron Rodgers will be the next big thing! Favre who?

sepporepi
I think this puts things in perpective: (packers,com)

Where Were They Then?: Sept. 1992 Was A Long Time Ago

Aaron Rodgers - The heir apparent was an 8-year-old growing up in Chico, Calif.

HarveyWallbangers

He said in the same season with the same team.

Merlin
03-04-2008, 10:41 AM

Listen you fucking dumb ass. I have bolded the opinions in your post. Are you blinded by your hatred of TT and your continual attacks on him that you lost the reality of yourself? Opinion and fact sort of blend in the muddled brain of yours?

Pull your fucking head out of your ass already you condescending bastard.

Once again, someone who can't back up their argument with anything, not even a lie, making things up, name calling and hate speech. Zool, this is the shit I live for, you morons proving the point.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 10:41 AM
I think this puts things in perpective: (packers,com)

Where Were They Then?: Sept. 1992 Was A Long Time Ago

Aaron Rodgers - The heir apparent was an 8-year-old growing up in Chico, Calif.

Damn I am older than the Packers starting Quarterback for the first time in my life.

Fritz
03-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Come on, you guys who feel sure Brett felt unloved and that's why he's leaving, does that really sound like a Brett Favre comment? Of course not, even if he FELT it he would never say it, so let's get real.
It was reported on ESPN this morning that he'd said he knew he could still
play, physically, but it was the mental aspect of it that gets to him. Somebody on here said that just last week, that was much more likely.
The practices, the training, the constant getting ready when it was the game itself that he loved.

He's going to be on ESPN sometime over or right after the noonhour today so might do us well to catch that and hear him.

Funny, I was so sure weeks, months ago that when this day came I'd be
bawling my eyes out worrying over missing Brett and what do we do now? But it hasn't happened - yet. Maybe it needs to sink in more. One thing keeps being mentioned on TV right now is that everyone - including Brett himself - will remember his last play in the Giants game, the interception. It can't be helped, it is what it is.

What? What last play?

cpk1994
03-04-2008, 10:42 AM

Yeah, I know, I know. But I do think the media - which in a sense includes us, I suppose - really "spins" stories, and this is good media - ratings are better if a controversy over such a seemingly simple story about retirement can be generated.

I very much like Brett Favre, and that's partly why I'm bummed about how this is happening. I think he had it in his power to make this happen in a way that could (nearly) assure everyone that he's ready to retire, that all are on good terms, that it's been great, and so on. And if that's not in fact the case, he also has the power to come out and say so himself, if he so desires. But to have Bus Cook speaking for him and intimating what he has - ugh. Makes me almost sick.

But I'll try to buck up, FavreChild. I will.The thing is though, MOrt is the only one harping on the Moss aspect. Everybgody else who has talked on ESPN isn't buying Mort's report.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Basically it was the studying that became to much according to Favre. He said every week it became to much as the season went on and he said he found himself trying to always top the previous weeks preformance.

Rastak

I read it as the same team Reggie signed with......

(I should know better than to make a joke).

Merlin
For you hangers on and conspiracy theory buffs, Thompson does say "intention to retire" in his statement.

I saw that too but you know all I do is "stir the pot" so I thought I would wait until someone else noticed it wasn't a definitive statement.

Merlin
03-04-2008, 10:44 AM

(I should know better than to make a joke).

Meh, doesn't matter to me. Isn't what I meant but oh well, at least Favre would be playing somewhere and give us another team to watch besides the PAckers!

GrnBay007
03-04-2008, 10:45 AM
I just feel sick!

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Basically it was the studying that became to much according to Favre. He said every week it became to much as the season went on and he said he found himself trying to always top the previous weeks preformance.

I'm guessing hunting won't be as fun for him this year when that is ALL that he has to do with himself.

He's going to find that the mental work he put in was what made everything else in life enjoyable...both on and off the field.

Sitting on your ass in mental checkout mode 24-7 is not very enjoyable for anyone long term.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 10:46 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go

I use music as a way to grieve.

KYPack
03-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Jaworski did a nice bit on ESPN radio.

He spoke of Brett's consecutive game streak, 253, 275 total starts including playoffs.

Brett set the record by breaking Jaworski's record of 116 consecutive games. Jaworski was at the game andpresented Brett the ball with his son who was starting grade school. His son graduated from college last year and is 23 years old. Brett has spanned a lot of football generations.

Fritz
03-04-2008, 10:47 AM
The Mort crap doesn't bother me. It's not that. It's the thing about his agent saying that Brett Favre really does want to play, but he feels unloved.

Ted's not a lovey/huggy guy. He's also not stupid. Would Brett Favre really believe that he wasn't wanted back, after the way he played this season? I find that hard to believe - he'd have to have a more fragile ego than just about anyone in the NFL to believe that. And Thompson, no matter how much some people detest the guy, is not stupid. He makes mistakes, for sure, but not of the variety this would be: "Gee, I kinda want Brett to retire because I think this team will be better with Aaron Rodgers at QB."

Not even Matt Millen is that stupid.

oregonpackfan
03-04-2008, 10:48 AM

Seeing Favre play live at Lambeau is a Huge check-off on my "Bucket List." :)

cpk1994
03-04-2008, 10:49 AM

(I should know better than to make a joke).You could also refer to 1998 when Reggie retired one day and took it back one day later.

KYPack
03-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Chris Mortenson has to weasel around and find a stupid angle in the middle of this story?

That's fucking stupid.

Fritz
03-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Many of these NFL guys make a paycheck by reporting and sometimes even provoking rumors.

Favre was golden for many, many years. Damn. I screamed at him when he threw those idiotic interceptions, and I screamed for him when he whistled TD passes between three defenders.

I feel like a part of my life is over.

cpk1994
03-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Chris Mortenson has to weasel around and find a stupid angle in the middle of this story?

That's fucking stupid.He's weaseling even more now that Favre called him and told him the Moss stuff wasn't true.

Merlin
03-04-2008, 10:52 AM
ESPN has already added a poll asking of Favre will stay retired. AS I said before, there is enough to be skeptical about here. When do OTA's start? Maybe he is just trying to get out of those :).

Harlan Huckleby
03-04-2008, 10:54 AM
still plenty of time for him to unretire. :lol:

Now's as good a time as any to retire, it has to end sometime.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 10:55 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jEOkxRLzBf0&feature=related

Can you imagine if there was no Favre?

Merlin
03-04-2008, 10:56 AM
From what I read in the ESPN article, it sounds more like he is questioning whether or not this team can WIN the Super Bowl, not if they can get there. Everyone would love to go out like Elway. Favre remembers the early years and the playoff losses and that it took a few years to get to the dance. Maybe he isn't looking at this season but subsequent seasons. Maybe he feels this year won't be the year but the next will and he can't commit to that?

Sparkey
03-04-2008, 10:57 AM
If there is any ONE THING that would make you decide to retire, the comment below is it:

''I'm not getting any younger,'' said Favre, 38. ''I wake up some days and think I can't even touch my toes. I think about that. I think, well, next year is not going to be like some refreshing, awakening season where all of a sudden you're going to feel great. That's not going to happen.

''I carry some of these things with me that maybe you wouldn't see. I tend to dwell on them, at least internally, more than I used to. I don't write them off as quickly as I used to.''

packinpatland
03-04-2008, 10:57 AM

Seeing Favre play live at Lambeau is a Huge check-off on my "Bucket List." :)

I'm right there with you on that one!

packinpatland
03-04-2008, 10:58 AM
The mental part of the game became too difficult?

Again...crock of shit, Brett.

Don't tell me you can't handle film study and a little extra mental prep a couple months out of the year. It makes you look like a pussy. You aren't a nuclear scientist...you are a football player.

I would think the aches and pains physically would affect you far more than having to actually WORK a little with the grey matter between your ears for that $10M paycheck.

Perhaps you should post later when you can be kinder. :wink:

imscott72
03-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Sad day for the state of Wisconsin. I knew this day would come, but never thought it would be this year with the state of the team. I'm thankful I got to see many of his games in person. It's been a helluva ride and he'll be greatly missed. I've always been a Rodgers supporter and now it's his time. I think we'll be fine, in fact I think we're still sitting with the best QB in the division. Go Pack and good luck in retirement Brett. :cry:

Fritz
03-04-2008, 10:59 AM
From what I read in the ESPN article, it sounds more like he is questioning whether or not this team can WIN the Super Bowl, not if they can get there. Everyone would love to go out like Elway. Favre remembers the early years and the playoff losses and that it took a few years to get to the dance. Maybe he isn't looking at this season but subsequent seasons. Maybe he feels this year won't be the year but the next will and he can't commit to that?

Interesting notion. But it would be weird, because the Giants made this really bizarre leap in one year, and the Packers seem closer than the Giants did. I dunno.

Lurker64
03-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Somehow, having the news broken to me last week (though it really wasn't news) makes this pill a little easier to swallow.

Thanks for the memories Brett, you were the greatest QB to ever play the game. I would have loved to have you for another year, but I understand why you'd walk away now, while you can still play and while you're still having fun. It seems kind of like a waste on one hand, but I understand why you wouldn't want to wait until you stop being able to play and you stop having fun.

You're always welcome back if say, in July, you decide you made the wrong choice though.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 11:02 AM

I'm guessing hunting won't be as fun for him this year when that is ALL that he has to do with himself.

He's going to find that the mental work he put in was what made everything else in life enjoyable...both on and off the field.

Sitting on your ass in mental checkout mode 24-7 is not very enjoyable for anyone long term.

Leaper,

Get off it. Being QB for the pack and any team is a 24/7 job for months on end.

Burnout is burnout. Let the man enjoy is free time with his wife and kids. You, nor i, nor anyone else knows what he is going to do with his time.

But, i'm pretty sure it just won't be sitting around the house, watching springer, and eating mallomars.

The Leaper

I agree it has to end sometime.

Claiming he is mentally wore out is a little wimpy IMO though. While I'm sure there are huge mental demands on an NFL QB, it isn't like he's a brain surgeon. He's playing a FUCKING GAME.

He has every right to walk whenever he wants to. However, I don't have to accept his decision as being logical or one to admire. To me, he wimped out...because the mental aspect of the game would be the LEAST of my worries as a 38 year old QB.

I have yet to hear of a QB who retired because the mental strain became too difficult for him...well, not counting Ryan Leaf that is.

I guess I have heard of one now though...and I'm rather disappointed in who it is.

Cheesehead Craig
I need a hug, 007 and MJ?

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2008, 11:05 AM

Claiming he is mentally wore out is a little wimpy IMO though. While I'm sure there are huge mental demands on an NFL QB, it isn't like he's a brain surgeon. He's playing a FUCKING GAME.

He has every right to walk whenever he wants to. However, I don't have to accept his decision as being logical or one to admire. To me, he wimped out...because the mental aspect of the game would be the LEAST of my worries as a 38 year old QB.

I have yet to hear of a QB who retired because the mental strain became too difficult for him...well, not counting Ryan Leaf that is.

I guess I have heard of one now though...and I'm rather disappointed in who it is.

I think you are being a bit shallow in regards.

Packgator
03-04-2008, 11:06 AM

That's fucking stupid.

Next thing we might be hearing from Mort .........

Favre chooses to go into the Hall Of Fame as a Atlanta Falcon

The Leaper

Physically, yes. Mentally, no.

I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to quit for whatever reason. he could quit because the uniforms weren't changed to pink for all I care.

I just think claiming the MENTAL aspect as a reason for leaving is very odd. If you think otherwise, give me examples of other aging QBs who cited it as the reason they hung it up.

Fritz

Leaper,

Burnout is burnout. Let the man enjoy is free time with his wife and kids. You, nor i, nor anyone else knows what he is going to do with his time.

But, i'm pretty sure it just won't be sitting around the house, watching springer, and eating mallomars.

Tyrone, your comments got me thinking - what does a crack addict actually do in retirment? Do you take on a new hobby, like staying sober? Or do you move on to other drugs? Do you travel, visiting crack neighborhoods in far away lands, like English teachers visiting London?

packinpatland
03-04-2008, 11:08 AM

Stop it! 16 years at the level he played? :shock: Just stop it.

Fritz
03-04-2008, 11:08 AM
still plenty of time for him to unretire. :lol:

Harlan, I do not like your avatar. You are not a handsome man. You are a blue dog.

BTW, old friend, your new avatar may have provoked this whole retirement thing. Your new avatar surfaced right about when supposedly Favre was deciding...could this all be your fault?

Change it back, Harlan! Change it back, quick!

Lurker64
03-04-2008, 11:09 AM
For all that he's given us over the past decade and change, Brett Favre doesn't owe us anything. No matter how silly his reasons for retiring sound to us, you pretty much have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

If Brett Favre wanted to retire because he thinks yellow pants make him look fat, well than I'd say "thanks for the memories Brett", same as I do now. I mean we knew that this was going to happen eventually, at least in the rational parts of us. This doesn't make it any less sad, but it does make a certain amount of sense.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Leaper's gone off the deep end.
:D

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 11:10 AM
I think you are being a bit shallow in regards.

No, I think I'm being practical.

Football is a fucking game. If the mental challenges are so difficult that you can't bear to continue with it, then your priorities are screwed up.

I'm fine with 9-1-1 dispatchers burning out due to mental fatigue. I can understand.

I'm fine with brain surgeons burning out due to mental fatigue. I can understand.

I can't understand how a football player burns out due to mental fatigue. Favre can basically take 6 months off from ANY mental preparation whatsoever. Sure, he has to PHYSICALLY prepare for football continually, but he has no mental demands on him relating to football whatsoever right now.

If anything, he is mentally burned out from the RETIREMENT QUESTION...God knows we ALL are. That is his own damn fault as well.

GBRulz
03-04-2008, 11:10 AM

I have yet to hear of a QB who has played 270 straight games over the span of 17 years without missing a start, who retired because of mental strain, myself.

:roll:

Fritz
03-04-2008, 11:11 AM
I agree - and i think mental strain is real. Very real. It would be very difficult to put in the time and the preparation that Favre did. The dude was well known to be much more the studier than most people originally thought. Hell, MM let him audible the crap out of the game last year, and you have to be prepared to be able to do that.

He was probably the best quarterback the Green Bay Packers have ever had.

packers11
03-04-2008, 11:11 AM
4-12 team... he comes back...

13-3 team... he leaves...

I still don't get it...

Lurker64
03-04-2008, 11:12 AM
He was probably the best quarterback the Green Bay Packers have ever had.

Understated with classical midwestern flair.

GBRulz
Football is more mental than physical, no matter how it looks from the stands.
--Ray Nitschke

Fritz
Yeah. Weird.

Say it ain't so, Brett. Say it ain't so!

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 11:13 AM

You are talking out of your ass.

Try being the boss and knowing your job never ends. That is what it like to be brett. He is tired of the grind. He can't get up for it. The media attention, the weight of the job, the never ending film session, etc.

Brett doesn't just leave the practice field and go home. It takes that job home with him every night...it is running thru his head. After all awhile that just becomes burdensome.

I'm glad you've never burned out on something. But, that doesn't make it not real. Or perhaps vermeil was just making it up.

Try and imagine that college lasted for 17 years. Every week you had a test. No down time. Remember this isn't the nfl of the 70s..more practice, more OTAs, more film reading, etc.

And, just because you've never heard of a QB..well, that is a specious argument. I can recall many athletes that had burnout...usually young kids in sports like tennis that just got tired of the grind.

Go google "athlete" "burnout" and see 105,000 results.

Here is an excerpt from a sports psychologist..talking about tennis..but, he reads eerily as something written about Favre.

Description of Burnout
Burnout in sport is often defined as physical, emotional and mental exhaustion, but it is also described as the distress resulting from such exhaustion. It's a condition in which the athlete experiences stress over an extended period of time resulting in reduced motivation and interest in the activity. In short, you're worn out, tired of the sport, and don't ever want to see another racket, bat, or helmet again!

How could burnout possibly occur to individuals so committed to their sport, so excited by the thrill of victory, and so focused on continual achievement? Well, these positive traits of commitment and desire are often the very cause of the problem. Individuals who take their sport less seriously rarely experience burnout, but they never maximize their performance either. If you have experienced burnout, start by giving yourself credit that you care.

Causes and Solutions to Reverse the Onset of Burnout
There are many causes of burnout and it usually develops slowly over time rather than suddenly. Let's briefly examine three of the most common causes of burnout with solutions to reverse the onset of burnout. You may need to combine these solutions to meet your specific needs. If you are completely exhausted mentally and physically, and have already reached burnout, the only real solution is to take time off from your sport. Return to sport when you are ready again, with greater knowledge to avoid becoming another victim of burnout.

Cause: Pressure to Win
Whether you're struggling to break top 10 in the tennis world or just fighting to remain on your high school rugby team, too much pressure to win (from others or self-imposed) can be extremely frustrating when the results are not coming as fast as you expect. It's a vicious circle in that your ambition and drive to succeed actually causes your performance to decline. You eventually throw in the towel rather than patiently discovering the key to improvement.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2008, 11:14 AM
4-12 team... he comes back...

13-3 team... he leaves...

I still don't get it...

I think it makes perfect sense.