PDA

View Full Version : I'll bet Dr. Z is dancing naked in the streets

PlantPage55
03-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Fucking jackass

cpk1994
03-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Fucking jackassThat depends, can he dnace while using his walker?

packinpatland
03-04-2008, 11:11 AM
No, he's in mourning............he's got to go looking for someone else to bash.

Fritz
03-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Damn gruesome image.

NewsBruin
03-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Since I post on Baylor's messageboard, I read all sorts of hooey about how the media rips on the Cowboys. I think all the comments about how they hate the Packers are silly, as when I worked in papers, we never talked about teams that were stupid or dumb or worshipped, or whatever.

I like Dr. Z because he's not a rah-rah "storyline" kinda guy. He's been in the armed forces, he's played rugby and college and semi-pro football, he's covered the NFL for his reporting career, and he also has interests outside of football. He says and thinks his own thing, he's got decades of perspective, and if I don't agree with him, I certainly respect him. Hell, he got kicked off his first draft telecast for saying he thought most of the players were on the juice. I don't think I've ever heard any Talking Head ever address that, unless someone gets arrested.

Like Favre, Z's a throwback and an original. Like Favre, I'll miss Z when he hangs it up.

So for the rest of the media, I don't give too much of a care about, because that's their ego's job, But for Z's sake, I'll post this (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/09/27/mailbag/index.html).

With a landmark record about to fall this weekend, and I'm talking about Dan Marino's mark for career touchdown passes, we'll designate our leadoff hitter as Steve of Germantown, Md., who says, "It seems an appropriate time to ask if you would rank Brett Favre among the 10-best quarterbacks of all time."

I want to be fair about this. I've been repeatedly accused of being anti-Favre, and I think the reason for my grumpiness is the announcers and fans have fallen so much in love with him during his career that they've been blind to his failings, such as the careless interceptions. How many times have I heard, "Well, at least he's having fun out there," as the offense trudges off the field, following still another pick?

But placing him in the pantheon of the all-timers, well, I'm going to have to think it through; and why not right now? To me, his most remarkable record is never having missed a contest since he became a starter in the fourth game of the 1992 season. That's 16 years worth! Strictly on a skill level, I can't think of any other Hall of Fame quarterback who had a stronger arm, with the possible exception of Terry Bradshaw, who was a national schoolboy record holder in the javelin. Emotionally, Favre is a wild stallion who, at best, in the Super Bowl seasons, inspired all those around him ... at worst, drove his coaches crazy.

He's the kind of player who needed a periodic restraining order ... hey, why am I past-tensing him? Who needs -- present -- a periodic restraining order, and let's face it, coaches have been afraid of him. Mike Holmgren wasn't. Maybe Mike McCarthy, the current edition, isn't, since I keep reading how he's telling him to choke it off and play it safe. Now, how does he compare with the all-timers?

John Unitas and Joe Montana, my twin No. 1s? Both better than him. Otto Graham, my No. 3? Ditto. How about the moderns, Steve Young, John Elway, Troy Aikman, Marino? Hmmm, more careful from an interception standpoint, Aikman and Young, higher-percentage passers, all except Aikman higher in yards per completion -- which is a very telling stat in my book. Victories? Super Bowls? Uh uh, I don't count those in. They're team stats, not QB stats.

How about the old timers, Luckman and Sammy Baugh, for instance? No, I can't do it ... Sid Luckman, who played a full game on defense vs. Brett Favre? No, forget it. I forgot Norm Van Brocklin and Bradshaw and Y.A. Tittle, and the ultra moderns, such as Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, and ... OK, I'm cutting it off right here. That record of 16 years without missing a game does it for me ... Favre goes into my top 10, all time, probably around eight or nine, when I get it all worked out. OK?

packinpatland
03-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Since I post on Baylor's messageboard, I read all sorts of hooey about how the media rips on the Cowboys. I think all the comments about how they hate the Packers are silly, as when I worked in papers, we never talked about teams that were stupid or dumb or worshipped, or whatever.

I like Dr. Z because he's not a rah-rah "storyline" kinda guy. He's been in the service, he's played rugby and college and semi-pro football, he's covered the NFL for his reporting career, and he also has interests outside of football. He says and thinks his own thing, he's got decades of perspective, and if I don't agree with him, I certainly respect him. Hell, he got kicked off his first draft telecast for saying he thought most of the players were on the juice. I don't think I've ever heard any Talking Head ever address that, unless someone gets arrested.

Like Favre, Z's a throwback and an original. Like Favre, I'll miss Z when he hangs it up.

So for the rest of the media, I don't give to much of a care about, because that's their ego's job, But for Z's sake, I'll post this (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/09/27/mailbag/index.html).

With a landmark record about to fall this weekend, and I'm talking about Dan Marino's mark for career touchdown passes, we'll designate our leadoff hitter as Steve of Germantown, Md., who says, "It seems an appropriate time to ask if you would rank Brett Favre among the 10-best quarterbacks of all time."

I want to be fair about this. I've been repeatedly accused of being anti-Favre, and I think the reason for my grumpiness is the announcers and fans have fallen so much in love with him during his career that they've been blind to his failings, such as the careless interceptions. How many times have I heard, "Well, at least he's having fun out there," as the offense trudges off the field, following still another pick?

But placing him in the pantheon of the all-timers, well, I'm going to have to think it through; and why not right now? To me, his most remarkable record is never having missed a contest since he became a starter in the fourth game of the 1992 season. That's 16 years worth! Strictly on a skill level, I can't think of any other Hall of Fame quarterback who had a stronger arm, with the possible exception of Terry Bradshaw, who was a national schoolboy record holder in the javelin. Emotionally, Favre is a wild stallion who, at best, in the Super Bowl seasons, inspired all those around him ... at worst, drove his coaches crazy.

He's the kind of player who needed a periodic restraining order ... hey, why am I past-tensing him? Who needs -- present -- a periodic restraining order, and let's face it, coaches have been afraid of him. Mike Holmgren wasn't. Maybe Mike McCarthy, the current edition, isn't, since I keep reading how he's telling him to choke it off and play it safe. Now, how does he compare with the all-timers?

John Unitas and Joe Montana, my twin No. 1s? Both better than him. Otto Graham, my No. 3? Ditto. How about the moderns, Steve Young, John Elway, Troy Aikman, Marino? Hmmm, more careful from an interception standpoint, Aikman and Young, higher-percentage passers, all except Aikman higher in yards per completion -- which is a very telling stat in my book. Victories? Super Bowls? Uh uh, I don't count those in. They're team stats, not QB stats.

How about the old timers, Luckman and Sammy Baugh, for instance? No, I can't do it ... Sid Luckman, who played a full game on defense vs. Brett Favre? No, forget it. I forgot Norm Van Brocklin and Bradshaw and Y.A. Tittle, and the ultra moderns, such as Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, and ... OK, I'm cutting it off right here. That record of 16 years without missing a game does it for me ... Favre goes into my top 10, all time, probably around eight or nine, when I get it all worked out. OK?

Not enough to convince me..........he's an ass.

NewsBruin
03-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Probably so. I'm just not convinced he's a cheap-shot artist with a boner for Favre, and I never see his positive Packer/Favre comments posted after they're published.

packinpatland
03-04-2008, 03:58 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/dr_z/03/04/favre/index.html?eref=T1

Yeah, Z's a real standup guy. Especially like this little gem.."and woe to the Hall of Fame selector who someday would dare neglect the Packers' greatest quarterback in history."

That selector would be Z. He's argued the point in the past.

The last lines of his piece say it all:

"How will history evaluate him? Capable of almost anything on the field. Heroic. Indestructible. Maddening at times, but great to root for. With only this low key aftermath.

Could have been greater."

What an ass......

BallHawk
03-04-2008, 04:15 PM
I had to read the article twice to understand what the hell he was trying to say.

What a jackass....

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Probably so. I'm just not convinced he's a cheap-shot artist with a boner for Favre, and I never see his positive Packer/Favre comments posted after they're published.

Tyrone is with you NB.

Dr. Z. is all good with me.

Some posters have no objectivity.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 04:22 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/dr_z/03/04/favre/index.html?eref=T1

Yeah, Z's a real standup guy. Especially like this little gem.."and woe to the Hall of Fame selector who someday would dare neglect the Packers' greatest quarterback in history."

That selector would be Z. He's argued the point in the past.

The last lines of his piece say it all:

"How will history evaluate him? Capable of almost anything on the field. Heroic. Indestructible. Maddening at times, but great to root for. With only this low key aftermath.

Could have been greater."

What an ass......

Get off the sauce. Dr. Z has never said Favre wasn't an HOF. He may have argued which ballot.

And, i agree with him. With better coaching/firmer rein on him..he woulda even been greater.

But, why are you looking at the hole and not the donut? He even said.."low key aftermath."

Are you implying that brett was perfect. Gimme a break.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 04:25 PM
I could not care less what a dumbass like Z has to say.

packinpatland
03-04-2008, 04:27 PM
I stand by my 'analysis'.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 04:32 PM
I stand by my 'analysis'.

Of course you do.

Notice how you chopped the quote from Dr. Z as if to make it seem like he was saying not into the HOF. Sorry, that wasn't what he was writing about...he was saying woe to the writer who thought brett wasn't the greatest packer QB. Nothing wrong with that. We have a poster here, I believe either Swede or The Shadow who believes as much.

I'm sure you also feel the websites and papers are using favre right now to sell papers. :roll:

Well, at least we won't have to go thru anymore of that.

packinpatland
03-04-2008, 04:51 PM
That's hardly fair. In the past Z has argued the fact that he didn't think Favre was a shoo-in as a first year HOFer. It was very obvious that he was referring to himself now. Who else has ever argued the point?

Favre and the Packers will continue to sell. Just on example... Look at the MSMBC Sports NFL homepage...........two references to the Packers and Favre.......and they've been there all season. One, 'Fabulous Favre' a slideshow and the other one NFL fan moments.......a photo of a baby with a cheesehead on.

PlantPage55
03-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Who cares if he's talking about making the Hall 1st ballot or making it at all.

Brett Favre is a 1st ballot hall of famer and there is NO discussion. How can someone who is "in the discussion" for the greatest of all time - NOT be a 1st balloter?

WRONG. Dr. Z is a punk!

b bulldog
03-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Anyone who would say he is not a first ballot HOfer is crazy. The NFL just lost it's coverboy today.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
That's hardly fair. In the past Z has argued the fact that he didn't think Favre was a shoo-in as a first year HOFer. It was very obvious that he was referring to himself now. Who else has ever argued the point?

Favre and the Packers will continue to sell. Just on example... Look at the MSMBC Sports NFL homepage...........two references to the Packers and Favre.......and they've been there all season. One, 'Fabulous Favre' a slideshow and the other one NFL fan moments.......a photo of a baby with a cheesehead on.

HOF: Proof please. You word isn't good enough as I found the whole sentence and it had nothing to do with the HOF..it had to do with who was the greatest packer QB.

sell: yeah, like it isn't the top story today.