PDA

View Full Version : Why is there so much speculation?

packers11
03-04-2008, 12:27 PM
That he is not retiring and he is coming back...

I've been watching ESPN and NFLN and half of the alnalyst think that Favre will come back in June/July...

I think its a 95/5% chance that he does not come back...

packinpatland
03-04-2008, 12:28 PM
because that's what the media does............speculate.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 12:30 PM
I doubt he is coming back.

However, I do think there will be some additional soul searching for Brett Favre as the year goes on.

It is easy to cite mental fatigue now...you aren't that far removed from a strenuous season, and have spent much of the time off since that time dealing with the retirement question.

When the football season approaches, a guy who knows nothing but football is going to start getting cranky...and Deanna might just kick him out of the house and send him to training camp.

Lurker64
03-04-2008, 12:30 PM
I think its a 95/5% chance that he does not come back...

http://thenastyboys.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/lloydchristmas.jpg

So you're saying there's a chance...

Merlin
03-04-2008, 12:40 PM
That's the problem with this whole thing. Speculation. As fans we hang on every word that gives us hope when the best thing we can do is just take it for what it is. Personally, I see hope that he may return but I know that we need to move on at the same time. Until Favre signs the papers, he is not officially retired. Who knows when that will be. It's Favre and he has had a change of heart in the past, he may have one again.

It's a testament to a player that so many people don't want him to leave the game. Not because we have a better chance to be competitive, because he was truly a joy to watch, even when he stunk up the place.

Favre knows that "love" is out there. I just don't know what his teammates, friends, etc. are going to say to him. He seems easily swayed when it comes to this type of stuff.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 12:43 PM
You know damn well that one DONALD DRIVER has probably already destroyed 3 or 4 phones while trying to contact Favre today.

If anyone can bring Favre back in 2008, it will be Donald Driver.

packers11
03-04-2008, 12:56 PM
pft.com

OSTED 1:47 p.m. EST, March 4, 2008

SKEPTICISM SWIRLS ABOUT FAVRE RETIREMENT

Several league insiders with whom we've communicated regarding the stunning decision of quarterback Brett Favre to retire from the Packers aren't convinced that Brett's days in green and gold are over.

"I believe you should be skeptical about this," one league source expressed to us a little while ago.

We're not officially skeptical yet, but the comments of agent Bus Cook make us think that, once Favre appreciates the outpouring of affection and support from Cheeseheads everywhere, he could change his mind.

And to the extent that there's an impression on Brett's part that the organization didn't want him, we suspect that a behind-the-scenes butt-smooching session of epic proportions already is unfolding.

MadtownPacker
03-04-2008, 12:59 PM
You know damn well that one DONALD DRIVER has probably already destroyed 3 or 4 phones while trying to contact Favre today.

If anyone can bring Favre back in 2008, it will be Donald Driver.Hahah aint that the truth.

I feel bad for DD.

Guiness
03-04-2008, 04:29 PM
wow - I just logged on, and I'm shocked. Honestly, absolutely flat out shocked. Not much NFL news where I am right now...so I wasn't getting trickles of rumours all day. But it looks like this is it, eh?

On topic here, personally, I think once Brett announces his retirement, he won't be back. He angonized over this decision for a long time, and now that he's made it, I just don't see him changing his mind.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2008, 04:34 PM
I hope there is truth to this.....

Freak Out
03-04-2008, 04:42 PM
You could see it in his eyes that he was done after the Championship game. I saw nothing in that game that was fun...it was all work and Favre has said before when it's not fun anymore he was done.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 04:45 PM
You could see it in his eyes that he was done after the Championship game. I saw nothing in that game that was fun...it was all work and Favre has said before when it's not fun anymore he was done.

Yeah, I could agree with that.

However, the exact opposite was true the week before. Favre was having as much fun as he had EVER had...tossing snowballs and the like.

Was it the pressure that got to him? What caused him to crack in the course of a week?

GrnBay007
03-04-2008, 04:54 PM
There is probably this much speculation because everyone is still in shock. I don't think anyone expected this. He always said he'd keep playing as long as he could play well (he more than proved that last season) and as long as he was having fun. Looked to me like he was having fun. It's just hard to believe.

Freak Out
03-04-2008, 04:57 PM

Yeah, I could agree with that.

However, the exact opposite was true the week before. Favre was having as much fun as he had EVER had...tossing snowballs and the like.

Was it the pressure that got to him? What caused him to crack in the course of a week?

When I saw the look on his face BEFORE the game even started I was a little surprised. He had that "WTF am I doing here?" look.
Everyone suffered in the cold that day but as much as it pains me to say it old #4 looked tired....and even though they almost won the damn game he said today if they don't win the SB it's not worth it coming back.

fan4life
03-04-2008, 05:35 PM
You could see it in his eyes that he was done after the Championship game. I saw nothing in that game that was fun...it was all work and Favre has said before when it's not fun anymore he was done. What I saw was a guy who, after a lifetime of playing football, realized that he had done all that was humanly possible to help his team and organization get back to the SB.... but that it wasn't going to happen. Mort made a good point today when he said, "I think the stress of being Brett Favre weighed heavy on him."

GrnBay007
03-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Mort made a good point today when he said, "I think the stress of being Brett Favre weighed heavy on him."

I believe that's probably true but at the same time after all these years how is he going to know how to be Brett Favre without football? I know it eventually had to happen, it just seems like an odd time for it to happen.