PDA

View Full Version : Back up QB

wpony
03-04-2008, 01:20 PM
I believe arod will be our qb of the future but who knows for sure but he deserves the chance I do beeive we should draft a QB like wolf always did in the lower rounds to see if he could find a diamond in the ruff .
What we need now is a back up QB is there any one still out there that would make a good veteran back up role to arod like Jim McMahon did to Brett I still say he helped brett alot with his side line coaching I remeber watching those games everytime brett ran off the feild he ran over to him and talked about the last drive with that in mind any ideas ?
In am still in shock with all the offensive weapons he has around him right now and the young deffense that is as good as it is I thought for sure he would try for 1 more SB run. :cry:

LOL edited because pain pills are stronger than brain cells

ND72
03-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Wolf drafted QB's at the bottom of the draft.

SkinBasket
03-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Yeah. He wudnit reely be a dimund in the ruff if he wus takn in the top of da draff.

wpony
03-04-2008, 01:35 PM
I corrected it and I meant lower, :oops: pain pills kicking brain cells LOL sorry but like I was asking any ideas on any back up veteran QBs that we could bring in for a back up that could also help mentor Arod?

Badgerinmaine
03-04-2008, 08:46 PM
How about Todd Collins? He's a free agent.

Freak Out
03-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Fucking Vinnie baby!

MJZiggy
03-04-2008, 08:49 PM
There's always Craig Nall. I don't think he's retiring yet.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2008, 08:50 PM

He resigned with Washington. Sad to say, but none of the UFAs out there excite me much. Might need to trade for one--if the price is right. Otherwise, we'll have to draft somebody and hope ARod doesn't get injured.

Maybe if ARod got hurt, we could talk Brett into coming out of retirement.
:D

ND72
03-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Dante Culpepper :lol:

Jimx29
03-04-2008, 08:52 PM
maybe we could learn to do "the roll" with fumblina.....erm....cullpepper

Rastak
03-04-2008, 08:56 PM

The best part would be listening to Mad explain how he is now a fan....... :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2008, 09:07 PM
I say bring him in. I know he probably doesn't fit the system, but it would be fun to have him, and he'd probably be better than the likes Craig Nall.

I guess Culpepper and David Carr would excite me the most, and neither excite me much.

Tony Oday
03-04-2008, 09:24 PM
I would like to see JP Losman

falco
03-04-2008, 09:31 PM
quinn gray baby

falco
03-04-2008, 09:50 PM
quinn gray baby

not only could gray back up rodgers, but he could also push him for the starting job. gray wouldn't be that expensive either.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2008, 09:52 PM
I forgot Gray was out there. Not sure if he's a West Coast type receiver, but I was impressed with him last year. Bring him in.

There's always Aaron Brooks.

falco
03-04-2008, 09:56 PM
I forgot Gray was out there. Not sure if he's a West Coast type receiver, but I was impressed with him last year. Bring him in.

There's always Aaron Brooks.

Aaron won't take us anywhere, but he would definitely fit the mold of the veteran backup, stopgap player. Plus MM had some success with him in NO. I don't know what kind of shape he's in, but he could play that role.

the_idle_threat
03-04-2008, 10:04 PM
LOL @ "fumblina" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hadn't heard that one before ...

Badgerinmaine
03-05-2008, 12:10 PM

He resigned with Washington. Sad to say, but none of the UFAs out there excite me much.

(snip)

I missed that--I looked it up, and sure enough, he re-signed with Washington less than a week ago.

I think one of the questions one has to ask here is "Are we looking for a long-time vet to help be a mentor to Rodgers"? That was part of why I thought of Collins. Unlike a lot of people here, I wouldn't object to Culpeper. Judging him negatively because he didn't win for hideous teams in Oakland and Miami doesn't seem fair, and hating on him because he used to play for the Vikings doesn't seem smart.

David Carr intrigues me--he's another guy who has experience and who also never lived up to his potential because his teams were awful (the Texans had a dreadful o-line when he played there, and Carolina was not exactly a worldbeater last year).

wpony
03-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Is David Car available if he is I think he would fit the mold of a back up QB and mentor ok he has been around awhile and seen alot and I think he could help Arod in game situations

The Leaper
03-05-2008, 07:52 PM
I would like to see JP Losman

I agree. Losman has incredible raw talent, and I'd like to see how he could progress under the fundamental coaching of McCarthy.

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Losman has incredible raw talent

Hyperbole. I've never watched Losman and thought what incredible talent. His arm isn't that strong. He's not that accurate. He's a decent scrambler, but he's not Vince Young.

MJZiggy
03-05-2008, 08:36 PM
And he is kinda cute.

Badgerinmaine
03-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Is David Car available if he is I think he would fit the mold of a back up QB
Yes, Carr is available. The Panthers let him go.

Merlin
03-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Craig Nall didn't play all that bad for us in one game where he was no where near ready to. he played much better for us when he was with us before. The issue with Nall is that he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. He "may" compete to be the backup but once again will not be given the opportunity for the second time in his career to compete with Rodgers. I think that scenario pretty much relegated him to 3rd string for the rest of his career. Would you give it your all if you knew it wouldn't matter?

Chubbyhubby
03-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Does anyone think we might nab a QB in the second round where we got Cleveland's pick #54 overall? We have our own pick at 60. If we pick a QB in the second (#54) who would it be? Any thoughts?

Carolina_Packer
03-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Heck, while we're at it, why not pick up Joey Harrington, who just got let go by Atlanta, and get David Carr. Then we'll have an all-Jeff Tedford stable of QB's!!!

Tyrone Bigguns
03-06-2008, 01:05 AM
And he is kinda cute.

Ty is VERY jealous.

Ty does have the initials JP though...will that suffice?

MadtownPacker
03-06-2008, 02:28 AM

The best part would be listening to Mad explain how he is now a fan....... :lol:Shut your vile trap!

The only reason I wanted moss was cuz I thought Favre could take him back to 1998. Based on moss' play last season I would say I was right.

culpepper has nothing left and even when he did he wasn't that good. I would rather see Carr or Losman or anyone that actually is salvagable.

MadtownPacker
03-06-2008, 02:28 AM
Heck, while we're at it, why not pick up Joey Harrington, who just got let go by Atlanta, and get David Carr. Then we'll have an all-Jeff Tedford stable of QB's!!!Haha! I thought that too.

packrulz
03-06-2008, 05:22 AM
Posted March 6, 2008

Search for critical backup to Rodgers begins

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

The Green Bay Packers' search for a backup quarterback started Monday night when they learned Brett Favre was retiring and could lead in any number of directions for what's a key position with the ironman Favre no longer playing.

The Packers are taking the next couple of days to solidify their plan and begin exploring options in free agency and the trade market to find a backup for Favre's successor, Aaron Rodgers.

The Packers need a No. 2 quarterback with some starting experience, but could go for several types of players available.

They could go for a mentor-type veteran with extensive starting experience who's near the end of his career. That could include Mark Brunell, with whom they've made preliminary contact.

They could go for a younger, less accomplished player with relatively limited starting experience, such as Tim Rattay.

They could go for a young prospect who might have some promise, such as Quinn Gray, a fourth-year pro who had four starts for Jacksonville last season and was released this offseason.

"First, you have to be able to play the game," General Manager Ted Thompson said of the qualities he's looking for in Rodgers' backup. "But if you have some experience, that's good. If you have some ability to be a mentor, that's probably good. I don't know if any of them are absolute requirements. The main thing is you find a good player."

Brunell (age 37) is one of several older, mentor-type quarterbacks available who have extensive starting experience, along with Trent Green (37), Kelly Holcomb (34) and Gus Frerotte (36).

The Packers this week talked to Brunell's agent, Bruce Tollner, and expressed at least some interest in a player the Packers brought into the NFL in the fifth round of the 1993 draft. Brunell has 150 starts in his career with Jacksonville and Washington, including nine starts as recently as 2006. But his skills have diminished to where he's strictly a backup after spending last season as the Redskins' No. 3 quarterback. They voided his contract in February to get under the 2008 salary cap.

Tollner said Brunell wants to play this year and has three other teams that have called and, like the Packers, are sorting out their priorities for their backup spots.

"The ideal role (for Brunell) is to mentor or be there supporting the No. 1 guy and having the ability to step in and win games," Tollner said. "That fits with a few different teams right now that I'm communicating with, and I think it makes a lot of sense at (the Packers)."

Among the other free agents the Packers might consider is Aaron Brooks, who was a starter for coach Mike McCarthy when both were with New Orleans from 2000 to 2004. The erratic Brooks, who had his best seasons playing for McCarthy, was out of football after his play became undisciplined in recent years. However, his history with McCarthy makes him at least a possibility.

Other free-agent possibilities include two former high first-round picks who were busts. Joey Harrington, 29, was the third pick overall in the 2003 draft and has started for Detroit, Miami and Atlanta. He has a career passer rating of only 69.4 points but has the reputation of being a solid locker-room presence. David Carr, who was a bust with Houston as the first pick overall in the 2002 draft and was cut by Carolina this year, is available, though his struggles handling the pass rush have been particularly bad and could eliminate him.

Thompson, who also could look to trade for a backup, wouldn't discuss any free agents he might be considering. He suggested he'll likely be patient in his search, but there's always a chance he'll move much more quickly because the position has become a priority.

"It's more important to try to find the right guy and the right fit for the locker room and for the team," Thompson said.

In the meantime, one of the Packers' free agents, special-teams standout Tracy White, visited the Pittsburgh Steelers on Wednesday. The Steelers and Broncos have shown strong interest in White, who also plays linebacker, though if Denver signs former Detroit linebacker Boss Bailey, its interest in White could decline.

Also, Detroit defensive end Corey Smith had a free-agent visit with the Packers on Wednesday, and St. Louis linebacker Brandon Chillar is expected to visit today.

Brainerd
03-06-2008, 05:48 AM
Someone might as well sticky this thread. Packers fans haven't worried about who the backup QB was for 16 years. Its going to lead the list of topics from now on.

packrulz
03-06-2008, 06:05 AM
The Packers also have Dalton Bell from Texas A & M and Jerry Babb from Louisiana-Lafayette on the practice squad. I'm thinking I'd almost rather draft a QB, let them fight for a roster spot in training camp, and go with Nall as the back up. It would be a faster transition, cheaper too. They're going to sink or swim with Arod this year anyway.

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Hyperbole. I've never watched Losman and thought what incredible talent. His arm isn't that strong. He's not that accurate. He's a decent scrambler, but he's not Vince Young.

The guy has won on a regular basis in Buffalo...under a relatively suspect coaching staff and without much talent around him.

Claiming he's not accurate is ridiculous. The guy has posted a well over 60% completion rate for 2 years now. That is pretty accurate for a young QB. I guess Favre wasn't accurate either when he was tossing roughly the same completion percentage in his first 3-4 years in the league.

I thought Losman played well in 2006 for his first full season as a starter...similar to Favre in his first season in 1992. Last year, there was certainly a dropoff...but he got injured and then never felt like he had the confidence of the coaching staff. Favre also dropped off in his second year, and many QBs do. Teams have time to figure you out and adjust to your strengths, and the QB has to take his game up a notch.

I don't think Losman will be an option though...Buffalo probably isn't willing to give him up for cheap, and Losman probably would rather go somewhere where he has a realistic chance at being the starter. ARod has the job in Green Bay right now. However, Losman may be an option after the season if Rodgers struggles.

Zool
03-06-2008, 08:33 AM
My ex worked with Losmans mom for a couple years while he was still at Tulane. I met him a couple times. He tells his mom "I need you to rub my golden arm" and she did pretty much daily in the off season.

Creepy family life aside, I've watched him quite a bit over the last 5 years. I was happy as hell when I heard the Pack was interested in him coming out. Thought he could be good.

Harv is about dead on with my feelings about Losman. He's jittery in the pocket and checks down to RB's a lot. He's had good recievers. He looks lost quite often. Granted he's young still(27), but he got benched for a rookie this season. That rook came in and moved the O the way Losman couldn't so I'm not buying that its all about the talent around the QB.

packrat
03-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Nall got his shot to be a starter with the Bills and ended up not being able to be even a third string quarterback. I'm sure he "gave it his all" then and just didn't have what it takes. If we are stuck with nothing better than Nall, I'll be disappointed. About the only good things about him are that he's cheap and he knows the system, but it takes more than that to win games.

Merlin
03-06-2008, 08:53 AM
The job in Buffalo was Losman's to lose and he was after all the odd's on favorite. Nall I believe got injured during that limited "tryout" as well. I look back to the game he came in and played when Favre and Peterson went down. He played awesome for us and showed he could play. That was the last time he ever got to see the number one offense in Green Bay. He didn't play "horrible" in his one appearance for us this last season. He looked as expected, like someone who hadn't played for us and was rusty.

Unfortunately, we will never know if what we saw years ago is still there. He won't be given that opportunity. It's funny when you think about the opportunities that Rodgers has had and how horrible he looks after being an understudy for three years. Finally this season he showed he can throw the ball farther than the 5 yard out accurately. He has a very long way to go for someone who is supposed to be "starting QB caliber". Without the guard situation addressed, Rodgers will get injured, guaranteed.

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Harv is about dead on with my feelings about Losman. He's jittery in the pocket and checks down to RB's a lot. He's had good recievers. He looks lost quite often. Granted he's young still(27), but he got benched for a rookie this season. That rook came in and moved the O the way Losman couldn't so I'm not buying that its all about the talent around the QB.

I would agree with that assessment to some extent. However, coaching could be key as well, and Dick Jauron is not someone I would have confidence in developing an NFL QB.

Losman is a TALENT, and needs coaching. Favre looked downright horrible at times early in his career, and would never have reached his full potential without the great coaching he received under Holmgren and his staff.

I don't agree that Edwards looked significantly better than Losman. Edwards threw more INTs than TDs, only had 1630 yards passing and had a 70.4 QB rating while leading the Bills to a 5-5 record.

I'll agree that Losman did not look any better than Edwards in 2007...but Losman looked pretty good (better than Edwards in 2007) during his first full-season of action in 2006.

Losman clearly has lost the confidence of the Bills coaching staff for some reason. If the Bills are willing to give him up for a mid-round pick, I'd be happy to take a chance on Losman. I have more confidence in McCarthy coaching Losman than I would in Dick Jauron. When the hell has Dick Jauron coached any meaningful QB talent?

Tyrone Bigguns
03-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Who ever said he had good receivers was higher than Tyrone.

I follow the Bills quite closely as Ty's dad was an alcoholic from there, and Ty has several meth head relative's still living there. BTW, Ty loved the "french connection" growing up, Morangi, Ernie No D, and Cribs.

JP's first "starting" season he had Lee Evans and a decling Moulds. Third receiver was the disappointing Josh Reed..and his TE Campbell was a stiff..less than 20 receptions. Even Magahee wasn't the Magahee they hoped for..sub 4 average. And, JP only started 8 games.

05: Magahee rushed for less than a 1000. He was throwing to Evans who is good, the craptacular trio of Price, Parrish, and Reed. Slight upgrade in TE to Robert Royal..23 catches.

Last year. Let's not discount the effect of having your TE get paralyzed/hurt. The team was righting itself when Losman got hurt. And, Lynch was starting to come on and really started to play well the second half. But, as for his receivers..Evans, Parrish and Reed. Only one of those strikes fear in anybody. Their TEs suck.

As far as Edwards is concerned..his numbers and wins don't back up the assertion.

But, the biggest issue tween the two is that Losman is kinda cocky which can rub people the wrong way. It is then very easy to see why an underdog QB without the same attitude gains his teammates trust and respect.

A change of scenery would do Losman good. However, just as those who dont' want to see brady Quinn or any other QB that could challenge Arod that would be the same here. Do we really want a QB controversy. It has been a long time, but from what I do remember, they do seem to tear up a team.

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 10:29 AM
A change of scenery would do Losman good. However, just as those who dont' want to see brady Quinn or any other QB that could challenge Arod that would be the same here. Do we really want a QB controversy. It has been a long time, but from what I do remember, they do seem to tear up a team.

I agree. I don't see Thompson bringing in another young QB who was drafted in the first 3 rounds. He'll bring in a veteran who can fill in for a couple games if needed and he'll bring in either a young kid with potential or draft someone after the first 3 rounds.

My thoughts about Losman more relate to next year...if Rodgers doesn't pan out. I'm not sure Buffalo is going to let Losman go just yet...not cheaply anyway...so he might have to finish out his current deal and go elsewhere for 2009.

We don't have a QB controversy for 2008 IMO. Rodgers has been groomed for this moment, and Thompson/McCarthy will give him every opportunity to sink or swim this season without having to look over his shoulder.

KYPack
03-06-2008, 10:37 AM
I'd think Losman had more upside. Edwards is more of a smart kid. A hunt and peck guy who knows how to take care of the football.

Once Losman learns to settle down and not scatter the ball, he can be an effective guy.

If he learns, some of 'em never do.

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2008, 10:48 AM
The guy has won on a regular basis in Buffalo...under a relatively suspect coaching staff and without much talent around him.

Won on a regular basis? The Bills are something like 11-20 when he starts in his career.

Lurker64
03-06-2008, 11:04 AM
In the meantime, one of the Packers' free agents, special-teams standout Tracy White, visited the Pittsburgh Steelers on Wednesday. The Steelers and Broncos have shown strong interest in White, who also plays linebacker, though if Denver signs former Detroit linebacker Boss Bailey, its interest in White could decline.

Now, I'm not one to panic over lack of FA activity, but why aren't we resigning Tracy White?

sepporepi
03-06-2008, 11:28 AM
...but why aren't we resigning Tracy White?

Too old for us :lol:

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Won on a regular basis? The Bills are something like 11-20 when he starts in his career.

2005 was a disaster...Losman was given the job too early and the team was in disarray, as seen by the resignation of Mike Mularkey after the season due to personal reasons and disagreement with the team on its future direction. Hard to judge him at all on that season, which is where a majority of his losses piled up.

They were 7-9 when he was the full-time QB in 2006...and he put up relatively strong stats. IMO, that is the best indication of his ability to win on a regular basis despite so-so supporting talent.

Losman did not play well in in 2007...but he also faced a much more difficult schedule than Edwards did. He filled in for an injured Edwards and rallied the Bills to a win against the Jets, then beat the Bengals and Dolphins. He got pounded by the Pats twice...so did everyone else. Losman also had to face JAX, PIT and DEN. Personally, I think Losman's stats are clearly better than Edwards' when you factor in the level of the competition he faced.

However, Dick Jauron is a miserable excuse for a head coach...and wants to have a QB that gives a low talent team no real chance to go anywhere unless you get lucky, just as he did in Chicago.