PDA

View Full Version : Oh Boy, Packers & the Police

Pack0514
05-26-2006, 01:30 PM
From KFFL.com:

Packers | Police and courts: C. Rodgers
Fri, 26 May 2006 10:50:15 -0700

www.nbc5i.com and the Associated Press are reporting Fort Worth police say officers had to use Taser guns to break up a brawl between Texas Christian University athletes and suspected gang members at a nightclub Thursday evening, May 25. Police say one of the three TCU athletes arrested was Green Bay Packers rookie WR Cory Rodgers. It is not clear if Rodgers will be charged in the incident.

Tarlam!
05-26-2006, 01:34 PM
A Brawl. End of discussion.

BlueBrewer
05-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Brawling with gang members is stupid but I would give him a medal.

Pack0514
05-26-2006, 02:04 PM
I am not trying to blow this out of proportion because we do not know specifics but when there is a brawl and only three people are arrested...... those 3 people must have been either a major part of the problem or refused to cooperate once the authorities arrived.

MJZiggy
05-26-2006, 02:09 PM
BB Is that you in your avatar?

I will withhold all judgment until I find out more about what happened and how pissed M3 is about it. It would be kinda hard to learn your playbook in jail...

pbmax
05-26-2006, 02:10 PM
I am not trying to blow this out of proportion because we do not know specifics but when there is a brawl and only three people are arrested...... those 3 people must have been either a major part of the problem or refused to cooperate once the authorities arrived.
He was one of three of the athletes, but not necessarily one of three total.

He might have been taking on 25 gang members in an attempt to recreate a scene from his favorite kung-fu movie. Possible, no?

We need more Jermoe Browns in the NFL, remember Reggie's linemate with the Eagles? He was said to break up encounters like this by driving into the middle of it in whatever huge, NFL money ride he had, and blasting music from the car until he could talk down the combatants.

And you thought the loud, throbbing, pulsating car in front of you just meant trouble.

BlueBrewer
05-26-2006, 02:11 PM

I will withhold all judgment until I find out more about what happened and how pissed M3 is about it. It would be kinda hard to learn your playbook in jail...

Thats me at work.

Pack0514
05-26-2006, 02:22 PM
He was one of three of the athletes, but not necessarily one of three total.......

Thanks pbmax, Good call, I cant believe I missed that.... I retract my statement. Thanks for pointing that out..... seriously, I totally overlooked it.

No Mo Moss
05-26-2006, 02:49 PM

Thats me at work.

Whoa buddy, I don't want to have to use tasers to restrain you.

Harlan Huckleby
05-26-2006, 04:23 PM
I think tazers might be a useful teaching tool for minicamp. A receiver cuts out when he's supposed to curl in - instant correction and reenforcement.

MJZiggy
05-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Sounds like shock collar training.

gbpackfan
05-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Hey, at least he wasn't beating his woman or something like that. I will wait for more details to come out but right now, I could care less about this. In fact, good from him, standing up to those shit bags!!!

hurleyfan
05-26-2006, 05:55 PM
From KFFL.com:

Packers | Police and courts: C. Rodgers
Fri, 26 May 2006 10:50:15 -0700

www.nbc5i.com and the Associated Press are reporting Fort Worth police say officers had to use Taser guns to break up a brawl between Texas Christian University athletes and suspected gang members at a nightclub Thursday evening, May 25. Police say one of the three TCU athletes arrested was Green Bay Packers rookie WR Cory Rodgers. It is not clear if Rodgers will be charged in the incident.
Yikes .. whenever the words Athletes & gang memebrs are used in the same sentence, there is usually trouble.
Hopefully this in not the norm and Rogers in not another Tyrone-I-wasn't-in-the-car-drive by-shooting-in-Lincoln Nebraska-with-my-homies-protecting-my turf-Williams!

MadtownPacker
05-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Hey, at least we now know he can handle triple coverage. :razz:

hurleyfan
05-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Hey, at least we now know he can handle triple coverage. :razz: Triple coverage! That's a good one!

gbpackfan
05-26-2006, 08:18 PM
I guess more details have come out that Rodgers may have shot a gun off into the air. DUMB! DUMB! DUMB!

Guiness
05-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Hey, at least he wasn't beating his woman or something like that. I will wait for more details to come out but right now, I could care less about this. In fact, good from him, standing up to those shit bags!!!

No, stupid standing up to them if indeed that what he was doing.

He shouldn't put himself in that position. He's now an NFL draftee, with potential earning in the millions over the next couple of years. Even being in the same room as a couple of nothing to lose crack dealing gang members is just plain stupid. He has a lot to lose - they have nothing to lose. Who do you think loses that encouter?

Even if Rodgers wins, he loses, because if he spooks the Pack, they cut his ass, and never look back.

Joemailman
05-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Packers Rookie WR Cory Rodgers Arrested in Bar Fight

5/26/2006

Green Bay Packers fourth-round draft choice Cory Rodgers has some explaining to do after his arrest in Fort Worth, Texas, early Friday morning.

Rodgers was arrested along with two former college teammates after they were allegedly involved in a brawl with gang members in a bar. Three others were also arrested after being subdued with Tasers.

Police say the fight began when Rodgers refused to sign autographs and buy drinks for people in the bar.

Nearly two dozen police officer were called in to handle the situation. When they arrived, they heard gunshots. Police say they found Rodgers in the back seat of a car with an empty handgun.

According to the police, Rodgers fired two shots into the air during the melee. He faces charges of carrying a concealed weapon and discharging a weapon within city limits.

Rodgers is due to be in Green Bay next week for organized team activities. The team says it's aware of the incident and will let the legal process run its course.
http://www.wbay.com

Are these charges misdemeanors? If so, this is a bad start for him, but not likely to cause him to miss playing time.

Harlan Huckleby
05-26-2006, 09:40 PM
I don't condemn Rodgers too much for this incident. But it does raise red flags.

swede
05-26-2006, 10:48 PM
I was all right with a Friday night punch-out. But the firearm surprised me.

Well, as Candace Bergen once said, "This is Texas. Even my florist carries a gun."

Kiwon
05-26-2006, 11:00 PM
I, for one, would like to think that all the Packers are "high character" guys but that's not being realistic.

I don't know anything about Cory Rodgers. He's probably okay, but what about his friends? What about the other guys in the bar or the drunks that come his way. They know that he signed his rookie contract and has some money now. He makes himself a target by placing himself in that environment.

These incidents are not trival matters. Ray Lewis was charged with murder through one of these several years ago. Ken Lucas had his skull cracked last year and missed a lot of Seattle's Super Bowl season. Rodgers use of a handgun escalated this to a whole different level.

The only bright lining might be that this will scare other Packer rookies into flying straight and avoiding similiar circumstances.

swede
05-26-2006, 11:14 PM
The only bright lining might be that this will scare other Packer rookies into flying straight and avoiding similiar circumstances.

I know I'm swearing off packing a heater when I go clubbing. Cory's misadventure has scared me straight. Besides, I'm too tall to stay out of jail.

Kiwon
05-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Swede wrote, "Attention: You must be five feet two inches tall to enter this prison! No exceptions!"

Swede, did you read this somewhere or are you just guessing? :D

swede
05-26-2006, 11:26 PM
Swede wrote, "Attention: You must be five feet two inches tall to enter this prison! No exceptions!"

Swede, did you read this somewhere or are you just guessing? :D

I'm all pissed off about the child molester in Nebraska that was put on 10 years probation because the judge felt that at 5 feet one inch tall the man was too short to go to prison. She was afraid he would be picked on by the other inmates.

I imagine that Nebraska's prisons will now need one of those signs you see in front of scary rides. "You must be this tall to enter!"

Kiwon
05-26-2006, 11:34 PM
I know the story. I predict that the judge's decision will be overturned and the short pedophile will begin his new existence as the prison "football."

pbmax
05-27-2006, 12:00 AM
I don't know anything about Cory Rodgers. He's probably okay, but what about his friends? What about the other guys in the bar or the drunks that come his way. They know that he signed his rookie contract and has some money now. He makes himself a target by placing himself in that environment.
Did he really sign a contract already? I hadn't read that. Doesn't make this any better, but if he hasn't signed, I can understand not buying everyone a drink just yet.

Kiwon
05-27-2006, 05:54 AM
pbmax, you're right. I don't know for sure if he has signed his contract or not. I assumed that he did since he already participated in minicamp.

Guiness
05-27-2006, 09:02 AM
AFAIK, not a single rookie has signed yet. Usually you start by seeing a couple of 'Team A's 6th round choice, xxx, signed.' on one of the big sites.

He (or the team) would've bought insurance for the minicamp.

BlueBrewer
05-27-2006, 11:11 AM
This dipshit may have just found his way to the practice squad for a year so Lucas or Bookman can make the team. I was alright with the brawl, but shooting a gun in the air, I guess if he felt he was in danger and shot to maybe get himself out in one piece, he could have just pulled a Marcus Vik and flashed a piece like Walter Solcheck on THE BIG LEBOWSKI. This isn't fucking nam Smokey there are rules.

MadtownPacker
05-27-2006, 11:59 AM
After letting this story sink in I have to believe that CRodgers is also banging with the homies. Just cuz he and his pals are "athletes" doesnt mean squat. It was likely some of the old homies wanting a share of the wealth with a few drinks. CRodger refused, they called him on it, fight started, true nature of CRodgers took over.

Why else would he be carrying a gun around? Either someone is after you or you know you run in circles where you might need it.

CRodgers = gang member

Tarlam!
05-27-2006, 12:32 PM
TT and M3 will be seriously pissed about this. I hope it all turns out to be a big misunderstanding.

I guess we're all allowed one mistake......unless you're an NFL player.....

MadtownPacker
05-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Sorry Tarlam, but shooting a gun and then getting caught with it is not a misunderstanding. CRodgers messed up. Considering the chance he has been given to make mega-cash you would hope he would be smarter.

Tarlam!
05-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Yah, he messed up, but so did our scouts. We were high on character, but I guess we missed the mark....

Still, innocent till proven guilty. Some new truth might shed a different light on it.

Bretsky
05-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Sorry Tarlam, but shooting a gun and then getting caught with it is not a misunderstanding. CRodgers messed up. Considering the chance he has been given to make mega-cash you would hope he would be smarter.

When I read all this crap, I still wonder WTF Teddy didn't just draft Demetrius Williams, who was a better college player anyways.

Harlan Huckleby
05-27-2006, 06:04 PM
i don't see what Rodgers did as that huge of a deal, shooting a gun in the air to ward-off trouble. I mean, it's not nothing, it's an illegal gun, but he wasn't holding-up a liqueor store. I can imagine myself using a gun in a similar manner if I felt threatened.

But the whole situation raises distrubing questions about who Rodgers is hanging out with.

GrnBay007
05-27-2006, 06:12 PM
i don't see what Rodgers did as that huge of a deal, shooting a gun in the air to ward-off trouble. I mean, it's not nothing, it's an illegal gun, but he wasn't holding-up a liqueor store. I can imagine myself using a gun in a similar manner if I felt threatened.

But the whole situation raises distrubing questions about who Rodgers is hanging out with.

Has it been reported anywhere that he was shooting the gun in the air to ward off trouble? I didn't see that anywhere.

After reading this:

"Nearly two dozen police officer were called in to handle the situation. When they arrived, they heard gunshots. Police say they found Rodgers in the back seat of a car with an empty handgun.

According to the police, Rodgers fired two shots into the air during the melee. He faces charges of carrying a concealed weapon and discharging a weapon within city limits."

He's already in the back of a car. Why not get away from the situation? Doesn't really matter when he fired the shots. The fact that this guy is carrying around a gun (...or using one) means trouble. Dump his ass.

MadtownPacker
05-27-2006, 06:18 PM
People would be disturbed if they knew we talk to you.

Harlan Huckleby
05-27-2006, 06:19 PM
According to the police, Rodgers fired two shots into the air during the melee.

It is not clear what happened.

I remember a few years back Tyrone Williams unloaded a gun into a car door. That was an even more troubling scenario.

It is definitely a red flag. I wouldn't dump Rodgers yet. Youthful indescretion.

GrnBay007
05-27-2006, 06:23 PM
[quote=GrnBay007] Youthful indescretion.

Yeah, not sure yet..........but it's sure looking like "Youthrul indescretion" = Gang Banger in this case.

Joemailman
05-27-2006, 06:26 PM

All the more reason to get him out of there and into Green Bay. Feed him a few brats, wash it down with some Leinie's, take him out for a night of Polkas, and he'll be a changed person. :mrgreen:

Harlan Huckleby
05-27-2006, 06:31 PM
All the more reason to get him out of there and into Green Bay. Feed him a few brats, wash it down with some Leinie's, take him out for a night of Polkas, and he'll be a changed person. :mrgreen:

Madison is having a brat fest this weekend, brat & soda for a buck. I pigged out on sometin else today, can't go. Saur Kraut & relish, hot mustard. Christ, I love those brats. Last year I was virtuous and had veggie brats. But then I had to drive back and get some real ones because I felt deprived.

Tarlam!
05-28-2006, 01:39 AM
..... because I felt deprived.

Must go nicely with being depraved, I'd imagine....

Patler
05-28-2006, 06:46 AM
Madison is having a brat fest this weekend, brat & soda for a buck. I pigged out on sometin else today, can't go. Saur Kraut & relish, hot mustard. Christ, I love those brats. Last year I was virtuous and had veggie brats. But then I had to drive back and get some real ones because I felt deprived.

Harlan; I was in Madison on Friday and saw a sign on the beltline for this. What's it all about? Manufacturers serving samples, or various groups together as a giant fundraiser?

Fritz
05-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Maybe I'm too liberal, too out of touch with reality, but I'm the only one who seems bothered by the fact that this young guy felt the need to tote a handgun - illegally owned, I believe - around with him on his night out.

Don't most people keep their guns at home? Then, when an incident occurs they run home and get the gun, and then they start shooting. Must be different in Texas.

Patler
05-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Lets not jump to conclusions. I'm not condoning anything that happened in any way shape or form. However, we don't know that it was his gun, or that he was carrying it that night. He was in the backseat of a car, which might be where the gun was before he fired it (assuming he did fire it, and not just have it afterward when the police found him).

Again, I'm not excusing anything he may have done, but there are still a lot of questions.

BTW, I predict his contract will have a lot of extra provisions about character and behavior that otherwise wouldn't have been there! He brought it on himself just by being involved.

GrnBay007
05-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Maybe I'm too liberal, too out of touch with reality, but I'm the only one who seems bothered by the fact that this young guy felt the need to tote a handgun - illegally owned, I believe - around with him on his night out.

I agree. This looks really bad it if was his gun. And even if he just "found" it in the back seat of the car he was in, how many of you would just pick up a gun you find and send some shots up in the air?

Granted we don't have ALL the facts.....and in a case like this with gang members involved, and from the sound of it they are familiar with this guy.....neither we OR the police will ever have all the facts.

Packers need to proceed very cautiously with this guy.

Tarlam!
05-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Innocent until proven guilty. But, we are allowed to worry like mothers, or muthas, whichever one is you.

Guiness
05-28-2006, 01:26 PM

That's what I was getting at. Why was he there? He should've known better.

GrnBay007
05-28-2006, 01:48 PM
That's what I was getting at. Why was he there? He should've known better.

He's a gang banger and was hangin with his homies. They wanted him to spend some money on them that he'd didn't have yet....he objected, fight broke out. :razz:

RashanGary
05-28-2006, 01:52 PM
I don't like the whole thing either. There are thugs who have good careers though. I hope it's not a wasted 4th round pick. Those are pretty valuable guys.

Patler
05-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Some excerpts from a couple articles inthe Star-Telegram in Fort Worth:

"They told police that the gun was fired "to scare off a group of males who had thrown beer bottles at Rodgers and the other two individuals after he refused to give them some type of autograph," Sullivan said."

"Initial reports said a fight broke out between TCU players and gang members, but police say they haven't found any connection between the two.

"After police broke up the fight, a man told them that he and his friends had been assaulted by gang members. Two of those men were taken to the hospital but no arrests connected to their report were made, police said.

"These are seemingly two isolated, but coincidental incidents," Sullivan said."

"Patrick Banks, who owns the Cowtown Fudge and Creamery Shoppe across the alley from the bar, said he was surprised to hear about Friday's trouble. He lets club patrons park in the lot behind his store and said the owners don't run a rowdy place.

"They're really good neighbors," he said."

Patler
05-28-2006, 02:15 PM
The recent article from the FW paper quotes the cops as saying they have found no connection between the gang situation and the one Rodgers was involved in. Called them "isolated, but coincidental situations."

A neighboring business said it was a good place.

This is a bar in "The Stockyards". I've been to the Stockyards in Fort Worth. As I recall, if I am thinking of the right area, its kind of a tourist area with shops, souvenir counters, restaurants and bars. I had dinner at a barbecue place and shopped along one of the streets. I did not perceive it to be a bad area, if I'm thinking of the right place.

GrnBay007
05-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Shamrock, I see you are looking for facts. With all due respect, I don't think you will ever find them in this situation. You have an NFL player involved, gang members involved and apparently a decent establishment involved. Something I've always believed and found to be true, where there's smoke, there's fire.

I agree with your post earlier in this thread. If they keep him, his contract needs to have a lot of extra provisions about character and behavior.

......oh, and NO use of handguns. :razz:

Patler
05-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Shamrock, I see you are looking for facts. With all due respect, I don't think you will ever find them in this situation. You have an NFL player involved, gang members involved and apparently a decent establishment involved. Something I've always believed and found to be true, where there's smoke, there's fire.

I agree with your post earlier in this thread. If they keep him, his contract needs to have a lot of extra provisions about character and behavior.

......oh, and NO use of handguns. :razz:

Your right, lets ignore what facts we can find, and go on instinct! :wink: :D

I posted the quotes because I had the feeling some people believed he was at a seedy establishment, a place he shouldn't have been, a gang hangout. I don't think that is the case. I think the bar is a place that any of us might go to.

MJZiggy
05-28-2006, 02:47 PM
This is what he gets for not being in GB doing Coach Mac's offseason training program like he was supposed to be...

GrnBay007
05-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Your right, lets ignore what facts we can find, and go on instinct! :wink: :D

I posted the quotes because I had the feeling some people believed he was at a seedy establishment, a place he shouldn't have been, a gang hangout. I don't think that is the case. I think the bar is a place that any of us might go to.

Well instinct is a wonderful thing when you are familiar with that cast of characters. Anyway....my point was simply that I don't think we will get all the facts in this case. You have a drafted NFL player and the mention of gang involvement. The NFL doesn't want that press, the particular establishment doesn't want that kind of press and the local police involved probably don't want it either .......especially if it took place in a respectable part of town. My only point is that it's very unlikely the public will ever receive the true facts in this case. .......and therefore......proceed with caution on this particular player. That's all. :D

Harlan Huckleby
05-28-2006, 03:05 PM
He's a gang banger and was hangin with his homies.

007, you repeated a couple times that a gang was involved. What was the name of the gang? Is this a fact or guess?

Hell, this forum is a gang. A black man and his friends aren't necessarily a gang. (But I'm crossing the street just in case! :razz: )

Harlan Huckleby
05-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Harlan; I was in Madison on Friday and saw a sign on the beltline for this. What's it all about? Manufacturers serving samples, or various groups together as a giant fundraiser?

It's a charity event best described as a mass feeding frenzy. The brats are excellent, some people come with shopping bags and fill their freezes.

It's estimated that at the end of the long weekend, 28 tons of partially digested bratwurst will have accumulated in colons across Southern Wisconsin.

GrnBay007
05-28-2006, 03:17 PM
007, you repeated a couple times that a gang was involved. What was the name of the gang? Is this a fact or guess?

The original article mentioned there was a brawl between players and gang members.

Harlan Huckleby
05-28-2006, 03:17 PM
I see. well, sounds like Rodgers just found himself in the wrong gang.

GrnBay007
05-28-2006, 03:19 PM
I see. well, sounds like Rodgers just found himself in the wrong gang.

lol yep! garsh darn it........wrong place at the wrong time. Funny how that happens.

Patler
05-28-2006, 03:28 PM
It's a charity event best described as a mass feeding frenzy. The brats are excellent, some people come with shopping bags and fill their freezes.

It's estimated that at the end of the long weekend, 28 tons of partially digested bratwurst will have accumulated in colons across Southern Wisconsin.

... and the average cholesterol level of a Wisconsinite creeps steadily higher!

GBRulz
05-28-2006, 11:25 PM
This is what he gets for not being in GB doing Coach Mac's offseason training program like he was supposed to be...

i'm not sure if he was done with school or what not?

He was at the minicamps, so I'm assuming that all his school stuff is done.

Tarlam!
05-29-2006, 03:09 AM
It's not just the Packers:

Steelers rookie WR Holmes arrested

NFL.com wire reports

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (May 27, 2006) -- Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes was arrested for disorderly conduct at a hotel in South Beach, police said.

Holmes was arrested Friday night. He was released from jail after he signed a promissory note to appear in court to be arraigned, Miami Beach police spokesman Bobby Hernandez said.

The events leading to Holmes' arrest weren't released by police.

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said he didn't know about the arrest and couldn't immediately comment on it. Holmes was the Steelers' first-round pick in April out of Ohio State.

Badgepack
05-30-2006, 11:20 AM
What really burns my hide about the Rodgers incident, is that we did not take my buddy Hank Baskett with the pick. Hank was rated higher, was bigger, and would not have gotten into any shit. Plus now I have to like a player on the Eagles for crying out loud.

the_idle_threat
05-31-2006, 09:08 AM
A young black man fires a gun in the air when attacked by gang members. He must be a gang-banger and a thug. Couldn't be self-defense, could it?

The assumptions being made here say a lot more about the posters than about Cory Rodgers.[/i]

The Leaper
05-31-2006, 09:13 AM
An NFL draft pick who is carrying a loaded gun with him to late night parties is showing very little common sense or intelligence. I don't care what happened or who's fault it was. The kid has a lot to lose...and needs to wise up. I don't see how his actions are defensible.

MadtownPacker
05-31-2006, 09:15 AM
A young black man fires a gun in the air when attacked by gang members. He must be a gang-banger and a thug. Couldn't be self-defense, could it?

The assumptions being made here say a lot more about the posters than about Cory Rodgers.
Welcome Idle.

Why pull a gun? Did the "gang members" he was bumping heads with pull a gun? Why was he carrying a hot pistol? I know a lil something about gangs and while I have no proof I have a bad feeling about this one. Had it been legally owned was one thing but the pistol he had could have been used in a murder. Why carrying it?

Rastak
05-31-2006, 09:19 AM

The assumptions being made here say a lot more about the posters than about Cory Rodgers.
Welcome Idle.

Why pull a gun? Did the "gang members" he was bumping heads with pull a gun? Why was he carrying a hot pistol? I know a lil something about gangs and while I have no proof I have a bad feeling about this one. Had it been legally owned was one thing but the pistol he had could have been used in a murder. Why carrying it?

Plus when I was young I was always told, you bring a weapon to a fight you better be ready to use it. Wouldn't you agree if you're doing battle with some gang bangers and you pull out a piece you are just asking for someone to get killed? Good damn thing that didn't happen. Ask Ray Lewis how cool it is for his hommies to carry knives. Fight erupts, guys die.

MadtownPacker
05-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Plus when I was young I was always told, you bring a weapon to a fight you better be ready to use it. Wouldn't you agree if you're doing battle with some gang bangers and you pull out a piece you are just asking for someone to get killed? Good damn thing that didn't happen. Ask Ray Lewis how cool it is for his hommies to carry knives. Fight erupts, guys die.
Thats what Im saying. Anytime you pull out a weapon or jump someone you know it aint gonna be the last time you deal with that person. So my question is why did he have the gun? Cuz he was ready to smoke somebody. Not good, not good at all.

Guiness
05-31-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm sure the outcome is similar to statistics about how many homeowners get shot with their own gun during robberies.

red
05-31-2006, 10:13 AM
the guy was about to get the sh't beat out of him by a whole group of people for not buying them drinks. he had a gun on him for self defence and shot in into the air to stop what was about to happen. thats what hand guns are for i'm told by the NRA and the likes.

i do have a problem with him not having a permitt for it, but i can see how someone would want to protect themselves. i heard TCU has a gang problem on campus, maybe he had trouble with these guys before and needed to protect himself?

i can't help but think, if this was a white woman in texas that pulled a gun on a bunch of gang members that were threatening her, would this even be an issue? i don't think so

MadtownPacker
05-31-2006, 10:31 AM
i do have a problem with him not having a permitt for it, but i can see how someone would want to protect themselves. i heard TCU has a gang problem on campus, maybe he had trouble with these guys before and needed to protect himself?
Welcome Red. Nice to see you here. Let me know if you need help setting up a avatar. Anyone else needing one too, PM or email me.

Now you make me think even worse by saying TCU has a campus gang problem.

He had a group of friends, they had a group of friends. SO far the report dont mention any other weapons involved. Why didnt he just fight? i wouldn't even trip if he had traded punches. Maybe even if the gun was legal. But the one he had wasnt and that sets off the warning light. What did he do to these guys if he felt he needed a gat to protect himself from them? Usually stolen guns are bought with the idea that your gonna blast someone and throw it away.

Patler
05-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Maybe even if the gun was legal. But the one he had wasnt and that sets off the warning light. What did he do to these guys if he felt he needed a gat to protect himself from them? Usually stolen guns are bought with the idea that your gonna blast someone and throw it away.

Where do you get the idea the gun wasn't legal? From what I read in the papers down there, it seemed that he was charged with a misdemeanor for unlawful discharge of a weapon (shooting into the air in the city), and there is a possible charge for it being concealed. Apparently in Texas, a permit is not needed as long as the weapon is in the open and visible. Since it may have been in the seat pocket of the car it may have violated that law. Sitting on the seat, it would be legal.

I haven't heard anything about it being stolen, or anything like that at all.

red
05-31-2006, 11:02 AM
thanks mad, nice job with the site

i don't know about other weapons, but i did hear pool cues where invloved

i'm not sure how much you guys have heard about this.

heres a quick run down of what i've read

him and his friends were at a night club on or near campus. half of the campus and surrounding area has a problem with gangs, including this area. from what i've heard its actually kind of a nice hang out part of the city for everyone, not just college kids and gang members. the gang members came up to him and dememded autographs and for him to buy them drinks, and i think give them money. he refused, and they threatened to kick his ass and grabbed some pool cues. at some point he got a gun and fired it into the air, maybe while he was trying to leave, i don't know. the cops then showed up and had to taze the gang members because they would not cooperate. rodgers was found by the cops in the back of a car, and did do what the cops asked of him

thats pretty much all i've pieced together from other sites from what people have read and from people that know TCU

red
05-31-2006, 11:04 AM
Maybe even if the gun was legal. But the one he had wasnt and that sets off the warning light. What did he do to these guys if he felt he needed a gat to protect himself from them? Usually stolen guns are bought with the idea that your gonna blast someone and throw it away.

Where do you get the idea the gun wasn't legal? From what I read in the papers down there, it seemed that he was charged with a misdemeanor for unlawful discharge of a weapon (shooting into the air in the city), and there is a possible charge for it being concealed. Apparently in Texas, a permit is not needed as long as the weapon is in the open and visible. Since it may have been in the seat pocket of the car it may have violated that law. Sitting on the seat, it would be legal.

I haven't heard anything about it being stolen, or anything like that at all.

from what i saw, i looked up texas gun laws. the only laws are that you need a permit to carry a concealed weapon, like you said. and you have to be 18. and thats pretty much it

i lived down just off the boarder of texas 15 years ago, and everyone had a gun, it was nuts

check this site out, i'm not sure how credible it is. but it talks about the gun laws in texas and explains them

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=tx

MadtownPacker
05-31-2006, 11:13 AM

I haven't heard anything about it being stolen, or anything like that at all.Maybe I read it wrong then. Here in CA, Rodgers could have been charged with the 10-20-life law. 10 years if you use a gun during a crime. 20 years if you shoot it during a crime, and life if you hit someone with a bullet. Thats even if the gun was yours, if not there are enhancements that will add even more time. Them Tex laws are pretty nice to gun lovers! :mrgreen: Maybe I should move.

GrnBay007
05-31-2006, 11:16 AM
I think Y'all better start agreeing with TexasPackerBacker's views!! :D

Wheww....wonder how many guns he owns?

Patler
05-31-2006, 11:26 AM
Maybe I read it wrong then. Here in CA, Rodgers could have been charged with the 10-20-life law. 10 years if you use a gun during a crime. 20 years if you shoot it during a crime, and life if you hit someone with a bullet. Thats even if the gun was yours, if not there are enhancements that will add even more time. Them Tex laws are pretty nice to gun lovers! :mrgreen: Maybe I should move.

But Rodgers wasn't committing a crime. Your 10-20-life law presupposes that the individual is committing another crime, a crime he could be charged with even if he hadn't had a gun. Rodgers committed no such crime that I have heard of.

MadtownPacker
05-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Maybe I read it wrong then. Here in CA, Rodgers could have been charged with the 10-20-life law. 10 years if you use a gun during a crime. 20 years if you shoot it during a crime, and life if you hit someone with a bullet. Thats even if the gun was yours, if not there are enhancements that will add even more time. Them Tex laws are pretty nice to gun lovers! :mrgreen: Maybe I should move.

But Rodgers wasn't committing a crime. Your 10-20-life law presupposes that the individual is committing another crime, a crime he could be charged with even if he hadn't had a gun. Rodgers committed no such crime that I have heard of.
Last I heard shooting a gun in public was illegal. But in his case it wouldnt make the law take effect. I just mentioned the law to reflect how serious gun laws are getting not cuz I think it applies to Rodgers situation.

red
05-31-2006, 11:32 AM
I think Y'all better start agreeing with TexasPackerBacker's views!! :D

Wheww....wonder how many guns he owns?

them fightin words :evil:

Rastak
05-31-2006, 11:48 AM

Last I heard shooting a gun in public was illegal. But in his case it wouldnt make the law take effect. I just mentioned the law to reflect how serious gun laws are getting not cuz I think it applies to Rodgers situation.

yea, I read the gun was illegal also. Not sure if this was 100% reported properly. Also, if the boyz grab some pool cues, you grab one too, you don't pull out your piece. Because one of them might retaliate with one in your chest instead of in the air. I live near a bar that is frequented by gang members. There's been about 10 murders in the area over 15 years or so...hasn't been as bad the last couple. I NEVER go there but am savy enough to know when you pull weapons MOST of the time BAD BAD things happen. Good thing that wasn't the case here.

MadtownPacker
05-31-2006, 11:53 AM
yea, I read the gun was illegal also. Not sure if this was 100% reported properly. Also, if the boyz grab some pool cues, you grab one too, you don't pull out your piece. Because one of them might retaliate with one in your chest instead of in the air. I live near a bar that is frequented by gang members. There's been about 10 murders in the area over 15 years or so...hasn't been as bad the last couple. I NEVER go there but am savy enough to know when you pull weapons MOST of the time BAD BAD things happen. Good thing that wasn't the case here.
10 in 15 years? Man that aint bad at all. Especially if most where viking fans! :razz: But your right, no need to unleash the steel unless you are really in a jam.

Now if I was strapped at this viking bar you mention......

Rastak
05-31-2006, 11:59 AM
10 in 15 years? Man that aint bad at all. Especially if most where viking fans! :razz: But your right, no need to unleash the steel unless you are really in a jam.

Now if I was strapped at this viking bar you mention......

Yea, I know, it ain't exactly LA or Chicago.....

the_idle_threat
05-31-2006, 09:23 PM

Welcome Idle.

Thanks for the welcome, Mad. Most of your response has been addressed by other posters by now, but I would add these points to address issues raised by you and/or by others:

- I have seen no indication in any medium that the gun was illegal. It may have been used illegally (carried concealed w/o a permit and discharged within city limits), but it was not a "hot" weapon.

- Both violations were minor. The first was simply the lack of a concealed carry permit, which in Texas is like lacking a fishing license. The second was a violation of a municipal ordinance, just like discharging certain fireworks or having a campfire at the park where it is prohibited. Most cities have an ordinance prohibiting discharge of a weapon within city limits, and they are invoked on a case-by-case basis depending upon whether or not the shots were found to be fired for self defense.
If the police cannot determine whether or not the gun was being carried illegally (concealed w/o permit ... as opposed to retreived from a vehicle where it may haver been kept legally even w/o a permit) and if they determine that the shots in the air were fired for self-defense, then there may be no charges brought at all.

- I don't buy the arguments some are making that he is a thug because he had a gun. I think a thug would have shot at the gangbangers---this guy simply fired a couple rounds into the air to scare away assailants. Sounds like the kind of thing I would have done if faced with gang members making aggressive demands on my time and money, wielding pool cues and who knows what else, and following me outside.

the_idle_threat
05-31-2006, 09:40 PM
check this site out, i'm not sure how credible it is. but it talks about the gun laws in texas and explains them

The brady campaign is rabidly anti-gun. The majority of these "common (non)sense" laws don't exist in Texas, just as they say, but also don't exist in most other states, aside from CA and MA.

red
05-31-2006, 09:46 PM

The brady campaign is rabidly anti-gun. The majority of these "common (non)sense" laws don't exist in Texas, just as they say, but also don't exist in most other states, aside from CA and MA.

thats what i figured, i just punched in texas gun laws and that was the first site. and it helped prove that point that it doesn't take much to legally have a gun in texas

Guiness
05-31-2006, 10:04 PM
- I don't buy the arguments some are making that he is a thug because he had a gun. I think a thug would have shot at the gangbangers---this guy simply fired a couple rounds into the air to scare away assailants. Sounds like the kind of thing I would have done if faced with gang members making aggressive demands on my time and money, wielding pool cues and who knows what else, and following me outside.

I hear ya, but I think he's damn lucky things went down as they did. If they were gang members, he's lucky someone (or someones!) didn't pull a piece to match his. Then things would've gotten fugly.

As mentioned above, there could've been returned fire, with one ending up in his chest. By pulling the gun, he raised the stakes tremendously.

Having said all that, with a bit of liquid courage, and some adrenaline, who knows how any of us would react. I guess this is why pro athletes and movie stars travel with a 'posse'. They need that shield to keep things like this from happening.

Rastak
05-31-2006, 10:14 PM

Welcome Idle.

Thanks for the welcome, Mad. Most of your response has been addressed by other posters by now, but I would add these points to address issues raised by you and/or by others:

- I have seen no indication in any medium that the gun was illegal. It may have been used illegally (carried concealed w/o a permit and discharged within city limits), but it was not a "hot" weapon.

- Both violations were minor. The first was simply the lack of a concealed carry permit, which in Texas is like lacking a fishing license. The second was a violation of a municipal ordinance, just like discharging certain fireworks or having a campfire at the park where it is prohibited. Most cities have an ordinance prohibiting discharge of a weapon within city limits, and they are invoked on a case-by-case basis depending upon whether or not the shots were found to be fired for self defense.
If the police cannot determine whether or not the gun was being carried illegally (concealed w/o permit ... as opposed to retreived from a vehicle where it may haver been kept legally even w/o a permit) and if they determine that the shots in the air were fired for self-defense, then there may be no charges brought at all.

Idle, welcome....what I get from your comments are as follows...
1) Pulling out a loaded pistol and cranking shots into the cieling is like not have a fishing license in Texas....or was it in self defense you can attack the cieiling....

2) When you head down to the corner saloon you pack heat and at sign of trouble are fully prepared to draw like Val Kilmer in Tombstone?

the_idle_threat
05-31-2006, 10:37 PM

I hear ya, but I think he's damn lucky things went down as they did. If they were gang members, he's lucky someone (or someones!) didn't pull a piece to match his. Then things would've gotten fugly.

As mentioned above, there could've been returned fire, with one ending up in his chest. By pulling the gun, he raised the stakes tremendously.

Having said all that, with a bit of liquid courage, and some adrenaline, who knows how any of us would react. I guess this is why pro athletes and movie stars travel with a 'posse'. They need that shield to keep things like this from happening.

I agree that things could have been worse and he was lucky it did not turn out that way.

the_idle_threat
05-31-2006, 10:52 PM

Welcome Idle.

Idle, welcome....what I get from your comments are as follows...
1) Pulling out a loaded pistol and cranking shots into the cieling is like not have a fishing license in Texas....or was it in self defense you can attack the cieiling....

2) When you head down to the corner saloon you pack heat and at sign of trouble are fully prepared to draw like Val Kimer in Tombstone?

Rastak, thanks for the welcome. If that is what you get out of my comments, then I think Rodgers should pistol whip you for being so stupid.

MadtownPacker
05-31-2006, 11:21 PM
Rastak, thanks for the welcome. If that is what you get out of my comments, then I think Rodgers should pistol whip you for being so stupid.

Hahaha, I like your style man.

Though I gotta admit that Val Kimler line left me rolling.

the_idle_threat
05-31-2006, 11:24 PM

Hahaha, I like your style man.

Though I gotta admit that Val Kimler line left me rolling.

Actually, he might have me pegged with the Val Kilmer line. :mrgreen: