PDA

View Full Version : Gary Gygax dies

Rastak
03-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Who the bloody hell is Gary Gygax one might ask. He was co-inventor of Dungeons and Dragons. I was first introduced to the game when I found an original ruleset lying on the ground on my way to school in 1978. I was completely facinated with the whole idea. I quickly got the three main books and spent the next 5 years playing. It was a helluva lota fun both as a game and as a social event. My last campaign was in the early 90's and I would say I'm retired for good. But I have to say, this guy was responsible for an incredible amout of fun being had by many people over the years.

RIP.

Freak Out
03-04-2008, 08:46 PM
I was never a big tabletop multi sided die gamer but I do appreciate what he started. My brother was a big D & D guy and both of us enjoyed all the PC games that were spawned because of the rules he helped develop.

Beware the eye of the beholder!

RIP

Rastak
03-04-2008, 08:48 PM
To reply to my own topic, I didn't relalize the guy was a Wisconsinite.

Gygax died the morning of March 4, 2008, at his home in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.[8] He was in semi-retirement,[2] having almost suffered a heart attack after receiving incorrect medication[4] to prevent further strokes after those on April 1 and May 4, 2004. He was diagnosed with an inoperable abdominal aortic aneurysm. Even while his health failed, gaming remained very much a part of his life.[4] Gygax was still active in the gaming community and had active Q & A forums on gaming websites such as Dragonsfoot and EN World.

"I would like the world to remember me as the guy who really enjoyed playing games and sharing his knowledge and his fun pastimes with everybody else."[2]

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 11:33 PM
It was a helluva lota fun both as a game and as a social event.
RIP.

If by "social event" you mean a bunch of pimply faced nerds swigging cokes on a friday night then it was great. :roll:

MadtownPacker
03-05-2008, 01:57 AM
To reply to my own topic, I didn't relalize the guy was a Wisconsinite.Guess he took the Favre news pretty hard.

Lurker64
03-05-2008, 02:53 AM
March 4th, 2008 sucked.

Rastak
03-05-2008, 04:10 AM
RIP.

If by "social event" you mean a bunch of pimply faced nerds swigging cokes on a friday night then it was great. :roll:

We drank beer actually. Back under your rock now Ty.

Harlan Huckleby
03-05-2008, 08:11 AM
March 4th, 2008 sucked.

probably this is gonna sting all over again every time a 3-4 defense in mentioned.

Deputy Nutz
03-05-2008, 08:40 AM
A little D&D. The devils work according to some crazy priest guy that came in to talk to my confirmation class.

Harlan Huckleby
03-05-2008, 08:44 AM
did he touch you, nutz? point to where he touched you.

the_idle_threat
03-05-2008, 10:06 AM
I found a copy of Penthouse lying on the ground on the way to school, and accordingly, my interests took a different turn.

Deputy Nutz
03-05-2008, 11:38 AM
did he touch you, nutz? point to where he touched you.

Priest like to go for those that lack self esteem. I am too cocky. I make tough prey.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-05-2008, 11:51 AM
RIP.

We drank beer actually. Back under your rock now Ty.

Ok. beer drinking pimply faced nerds.

the girls just didn't appreciate you guys. :wink: