PDA

View Full Version : 5 stages of grieving. Where are you?

hawaii50
03-04-2008, 10:14 PM
It is said that there are five stages of grieving.

1. Denial - "this can't be happening"
2. Anger - "why now?"
3. Bargaining - "give me one more season, and you can leave"
4. Depression - "i can't turn the tv on"
5. Acceptance - "i'm okay"

I'm still at stages 1 and 2, and a little of stage 4.

Denial:
I still don't believe that favre is retired. Not until I see our first game of the season and no #4 walking out the tunnel. Not until I see favre on a podium with tears in his eyes. Not until I see that he's turned in his retirement papers with the nfl.

Anger:
There's a part of me that's angry. Maybe it's because it was so unexpected. Maybe because we are so close and I thought there was no way he was going to "bail out" THIS season. Two seasons ago I could understand. Last season I was ready. But this season? Now?

I'm also angry with this explanation: "the only way to come back and make that be the right decision would be to come back and win a Super Bowl and honestly the odds of that, they're tough. Those are big shoes for me to fill, and I guess it was a challenge I wasn't up for." A challenge he wasn't up for? Since when does favre talk like that? One of the reasons I love favre so much is that he's such a great competitor, but while i "understand" his explanation i guess i don't truly get it. Isn't this what every qb wants...a chance to actually be super bowl contenders? He finally has that team, and he wants to leave?

I'm the hugest favre fan and maybe that's why i'm taking it so hard, but I understand that much of what i'm feeling is selfishness for myself. favre doesn't owe me anything. He's given me more as a football fan and a packers fan than i could ever ask for, and that's the bottom line. He deserves to be happy and content, and if this is what he truly wants then I can only be happy for him.

Where is everybody else in their stage of "grieving"?

MadtownPacker
03-04-2008, 10:17 PM
I think Im getting ready to bargain. :lol:

packers11
03-04-2008, 10:17 PM
this sums it up for me until september...

Denial:
I still don't believe that favre is retired. Not until I see our first game of the season and no #4 walking out the tunnel. Not until I see favre on a podium with tears in his eyes. Not until I see that he's turned in his retirement papers with the nfl.

:(

oregonpackfan
03-04-2008, 10:24 PM
I truly believe I am already at stage 5: acceptance. When you have the same quarterback consecutively start every game for 16 years, you realize it has to come to an end sometime.

George Harrison of the Beatles produced an album entitled All Things Must Pass. That phrase alone suggests that all things and/or relationships have a finite ending.

I am just thankful for all the great memories he has left for all of us.

Brohm
03-04-2008, 10:27 PM
I am at 5 as well. Though I could easily drop back to 3 if the situation presented itself :shock:

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 10:33 PM
You skipped a step.

Smoking so much crack that you are numb and your brain can't function.

falco
03-04-2008, 10:35 PM
You skipped a step.

how long have you been "grieving" tyrone?

KYPack
03-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Where's "half shot"?

Put me down for that one.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-04-2008, 10:45 PM
You skipped a step.

how long have you been "grieving" tyrone?

I think i started with the first Bengal game. I knew right then he was special, so I started to grieve for the loss i knew would come.

I expect this stupor to last several more years. Grieving is a long process for Tyrone..

Kiwon
03-05-2008, 08:21 AM
I'm not at grief stages yet.....just shock.

I'm in the Philippines and just saw the news.

packinpatland
03-05-2008, 08:23 AM
I truly believe I am already at stage 5: acceptance. When you have the same quarterback consecutively start every game for 16 years, you realize it has to come to an end sometime.

George Harrison of the Beatles produced an album entitled All Things Must Pass. That phrase alone suggests that all things and/or relationships have a finite ending.

I am just thankful for all the great memories he has left for all of us.

Yesterday, I'm not sure where I was. Today, I'm in perfect agreement with you, OPF.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-05-2008, 08:23 AM

Chester Marcol
03-05-2008, 08:45 AM

Favre is merely a chapter in an ongoing story for Packer fans. One of the greatest QB's all time for the game, unfortunately not one of the greatest in big games or playoffs. Time to move on to the next chapter.

Bretsky
03-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Definitely 1

GBRulz
03-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Still in shock, but today am able to laugh at one of the jokes that was on a MN radio station. They were saying if Brett is worried about money, not to worry because his social security will kick in next year.

I guess that means I'm also accepting it....although it doesn't mean I have to like it.

Cheesehead Craig
03-05-2008, 09:07 AM
I am also at the acceptance part already. However, I expect a major regression when the first game is played and Favre isn't out there.

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2008, 09:27 AM
I didn't go through 1-3. I felt 4 yesterday. I've moved onto 5 today.

denverYooper
03-05-2008, 09:39 AM
6. Curious

There's a lot of talk from everyone but Brett himself... It'll be interesting to see what develops over the next 6 months.

packinpatland
03-05-2008, 09:57 AM
'Curious' is one I hadn't thought of.......a word from Brett right now would be appropriate........not just a message on Mortenson's cell.
I am alittle peeved at the so called experts, Aikman is the first to come to mind, who don't believe Brett will stay retired.........

Feelings would be better placed and more aligned if this whole thing had a tighter 'close' to it. I mean, Sapp retires and that's the story....no speculations, theories, guessing..............

the_idle_threat
03-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Stage five.

I respect his decision.

I had already considered the fact that stopping now---after the season he had in 2007---was pretty close to going out on top. Many things that could have gone either way went right in 2007. The odds were very unfavorable that he would do better in 2008---in terms of stats, wins, or playoff accomplishments.

Just about everything---in terms of young player development, injuries (to himself or to teammates), competition in the NFC and NFC North, etc.---would have to go right again in 2008 for Favre to match or improve upon the career-bests or career near-bests in numbers and team wins that he had in 2007. The odds don't favor that, especially when he's a year older.

I think the sour ending in January hit Favre so hard that he did not want to come back with the knowledge that the odds strongly favor another ending like that, or even worse, in 2008. Not because the team is bad or anything like that, but because even with the pieces in place, there is still only one team out of 32 that stays helathy enough all season long and catches the right breaks at the right time to claim the trophy. There is no inevitibility in winning it all---just ask the Pats. (:jig:)

Also, the forearm nerve injury he suffered in Dallas was very similar to the one he suffered in the Pats game in 2006. He has a chronic dislocation problem in his left shoulder, the ankles, the forearm, and also the concussion in '06. I think he believed he was playing on borrowed time in terms of injuries. He had nothing left to prove, so he walked away while he still could.

We've heard it before from retiring coaches who say that after a while the losses hurt much more than the wins bring joy, and then it's time to stop. Favre felt this way, and decided to stop while he still had his health.

Now it's time for the Aaron Rodgers era to begin. Love ya Brett, but I'm ready.

The Leaper
03-05-2008, 10:06 AM
6. Curious

There's a lot of talk from everyone but Brett himself... It'll be interesting to see what develops over the next 6 months.

This is where I'm at. I'm fine with his decision to retire...I just wish Favre had put a lot more effort into explaining his decision to the legion of fans who have supported him for 16 years, rather than just leaving more unanswered questions.

Badgepack
03-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Grieving over what?

packinpatland
03-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Grieving over what?

You just crawled out of hole, cave or from under a rock, right?

PackerBlues
03-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Maybe Thompson has been grieving the entire time he has been in GB.

1. Denial - "I do not need to sign any talent, I have Brett Favre to take the blame whenever the team plays badly."

2. Anger - "How dare anyone suggest that I should sign more and better quality Free Agents. ARRRRG that pisses me off!!!"

3. Bargaining - Something Thompson has no skillz at, hence the fact that he has not tried signing a Free Agent that any other team really wanted.

4. Depression - "Oh shit this sucks. Brett is gone now. All eyes are on me and how I build this team. Who will take the blame for my short-comings now?"

5. Acceptance - "I'm OK, It will take at least a couple more years for people to discover that I have no bargaining skillz."

:shtf: :satan:

Chester Marcol
03-05-2008, 11:03 AM
6. Curious

This is where I'm at. I'm fine with his decision to retire...I just wish Favre had put a lot more effort into explaining his decision to the legion of fans who have supported him for 16 years, rather than just leaving more unanswered questions.

I heard audio this morning of Brett talking, and I paraphrase from memory, about only coming back for a chance to WIN a super bowl and that it, although not to others, would not be a succesful season for anything less. He doesn't feel the Packers are legitimate contenders to WIN the super bowl.

I just heard the clip without any setup. Was that from his message to Mort or did he come out and make a statement?

If this is his sentiment, to walk away and state that he could play but he doesn't feel his 13-3 team who got to the NFC Championship game has a shot at winning the super bowl, well that just doesn't set well with me as a fan. If a troll came on the forum yesterday and stated we don't have a team that can win the super bowl, they would have gotten ripped to shreds. Not sure if it comes off any better coming from Brett who has just taken his ball and went home.

LL2
03-05-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm at stage 5, and was even before the announcement. You had to know it was going to either happen this year or next. In the past I thought I was going to shed a tear....I'm actually looking forward to next year!

packinpatland
03-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Listened to Steve Sabol talk on Favre...........he sums up how I feel pretty darn well.

http://www.nfl.com/videos;jsessionid=4AEA6E911DA3A1CF581CF3B9960521EE ?videoId=09000d5d807060c0

Badgepack
03-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Grieving over what?

You just crawled out of hole, cave or from under a rock, right?

I am in denial.

Bossman641
03-05-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm strangely at peace.

He finished on his own terms. He gets to walk away from the game he loved, he didn't get forced out or embarass himself the way others have stuck around too long. After the past couple of offseasons when all the media have been bashing him and say he SHOULD retire, it is great to see him walk away saying he is leaving too EARLY.

Of course the selfish side of me wants to see him one more time, to see him pump-faking in the pocket, escaping from 300 pound linemen and drilling a missile into DD's gut. I respect his decision. He has given his all for 16 seasons, if that is enough for him it is enough for me as well. I just hope that there are plenty of highlight DVD's on the way soon, because I will be all over those.

I am actually excited to see Rodgers out there. I don't expect him to be Brett, I don't expect him to be as good as Brett, but it will be fun to watch Rodgers, Jennings, JJ, and Grant together in the next couple of years.

Thanks for everything Brett, it's been a hell of a ride.

RashanGary
03-05-2008, 12:22 PM
I started out in tho "Wow, it's over" stage and quicky progressed into the "excitement for what's next stage". I don't get very attached to these guys. Favre is no different than Ahman Green to me.

packinpatland
03-05-2008, 12:28 PM
I started out in tho "Wow, it's over" stage and quicky progressed into the "excitement for what's next stage". I don't get very attached to these guys. Favre is no different than Ahman Green to me.

That's tantamount to saying 'I'm really weird'. :eyes:

:lol:

PackerBlues
03-05-2008, 12:35 PM

You go all goo goo :eyes: with your love for Thompson, but Brett is just another guy to you. That is weird! :crazy:

RashanGary
03-05-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm glad I got to watch a legend and that I'll alwyas have the expereince to draw off when I look at football in the future because I really enjoy following it and anylizing it. Emotionally, I really don't have one iota of care for Favre playing another year or not. I didn't have one iota of care when they lost in the playoffs either. I just sort of went on to what was next. Huh, maybe I'm not a Packer fan as you guys define it.

RashanGary
03-05-2008, 12:42 PM
I guess I see the qualities of building a team on a higher level than the qualities it takes to play QB. Favre's big arm is great and all, I just don't really judge people on their ablity to throw a ball.

I relate to Thompson though. I admit that I do have a little personal bias there. I woudldn't care if Thompson left, but I"d have a bad feeling about the future of the franchise if he left. Favre was at the end, so I look at him as very short term anyway.

GBRulz
03-05-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm glad I got to watch a legend and that I'll alwyas have the expereince to draw off when I look at football in the future because I really enjoy following it and anylizing it. Emotionally, I really don't have one iota of care for Favre playing another year or not. I didn't have one iota of care when they lost in the playoffs either. I just sort of went on to what was next. Huh, maybe I'm not a Packer fan as you guys define it.

If you don't care whether or not we win a playoff game, you're right.... You're not a Packer fan.

The Leaper
03-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Favre's big arm is great and all, I just don't really judge people on their ablity to throw a ball.

So I guess you view Jon Ryan as Favre's heir apparent then.

GBRulz
03-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Favre's big arm is great and all, I just don't really judge people on their ablity to throw a ball.

So I guess you view Jon Ryan as Favre's heir apparent then.

Double bonus, because Ryan can tackle, too !

Scott Campbell
03-05-2008, 04:53 PM
We were lucky to have him at all. Lions fans should be grieving. Bear fans should be grieving. Vikings fans should be grieving.

Fritz
03-05-2008, 05:10 PM
6. Curious

I heard audio this morning of Brett talking, and I paraphrase from memory, about only coming back for a chance to WIN a super bowl and that it, although not to others, would not be a succesful season for anything less. He doesn't feel the Packers are legitimate contenders to WIN the super bowl.

I just heard the clip without any setup. Was that from his message to Mort or did he come out and make a statement?

If this is his sentiment, to walk away and state that he could play but he doesn't feel his 13-3 team who got to the NFC Championship game has a shot at winning the super bowl, well that just doesn't set well with me as a fan. If a troll came on the forum yesterday and stated we don't have a team that can win the super bowl, they would have gotten ripped to shreds. Not sure if it comes off any better coming from Brett who has just taken his ball and went home.

I am in denial, myself.

Hey, Chet, I listened to that clip, and I took something different from that. My sense is that what Favre was trying to say is that anything less than a Super Bowl win would feel like a failure to him if he came back - and since that's not something anyone can guarantee (even with the incredible Mr. Moss the Pats couldn't win it), Favre would rather not risk the heartbreak of falling short.

The dude just seems tired. And so he says, too.

I also like very much what TT said - Favre is a 38 year old man. He's a grown up. He knows damn well that he would have been "the man" (as TT kinda put it) had he returned. So what business does TT or anyone have trying to finagle Favre into returning? The man is an adult - he doesn't need, nor does he deserve, someone assuming he needs his ego stroked to try to talk him into something. It was Favre's call. He needed the room to make it, and he did.

Packer Blues, I have to say I totally do not understand how you can rip TT so badly - no, the guy is not perfect. He has mishandled, in my estimation, a couple of situations. But to knock him around like he's had three losing seasons in a row borders on the ridiculous to me. It almost seems like you'd be happier to see the Pack fail this year, so you can say "I told you TT sucks," than to see them be successful.

KYPack
03-05-2008, 06:00 PM
6. Curious

I am in denial, myself.

Hey, Chet, I listened to that clip, and I took something different from that. My sense is that what Favre was trying to say is that anything less than a Super Bowl win would feel like a failure to him if he came back - and since that's not something anyone can guarantee (even with the incredible Mr. Moss the Pats couldn't win it), Favre would rather not risk the heartbreak of falling short.

The dude just seems tired. And so he says, too.

I also like very much what TT said - Favre is a 38 year old man. He's a grown up. He knows damn well that he would have been "the man" (as TT kinda put it) had he returned. So what business does TT or anyone have trying to finagle Favre into returning? The man is an adult - he doesn't need, nor does he deserve, someone assuming he needs his ego stroked to try to talk him into something. It was Favre's call. He needed the room to make it, and he did.

Packer Blues, I have to say I totally do not understand how you can rip TT so badly - no, the guy is not perfect. He has mishandled, in my estimation, a couple of situations. But to knock him around like he's had three losing seasons in a row borders on the ridiculous to me. It almost seems like you'd be happier to see the Pack fail this year, so you can say "I told you TT sucks," than to see them be successful.

That was my interpretation of the Favre clip, too, Fritz. From that audio take, I also got a sense of his burnout. The way he said anything less than a Super Bowl win would feel like a failure to him if he came back, he just sounded like the weight of the world was on him and he wanted it off.

The guy needs some breathing room.

PackerBlues
03-05-2008, 06:08 PM

1. Denial - "this can't be happening"
2. Anger - "why now?"
3. Bargaining - "give me one more season, and you can leave"
4. Depression - "i can't turn the tv on"
5. Acceptance - "i'm okay"

I am stuck at anger Fritz. You know I am not going to be pissed at Favre, Thompson just happens to be my outlet. A lot of other people seem to be at the bargaining stage, trying to convince themselves that Favre may be back. It is going to take some time for me to "accept" this with out the bitterness I am feeling right now. :(

Like I have said before, these forums are a great place to vent. Don't take it personal.

Fritz
03-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Agreed. And I am offering up my lawn for him to cut. He can bring his tractor to Michigan. I'm willing to help out.

RIPackerFan
03-05-2008, 07:03 PM
I was on the way to Canada when I heard (my wife called me after my sister (in WI) called her) - I was on the tarmac when I heard.

I was expecting this. I really thought that he came back last year as a big FU to all his critics - to show he could still play the game better than most other QBs and he proved that.

Now all that was left was a SB - and frankly, the odds aren't that great - even if we got Moss and Samual and Fonseca and traded for Taylor - we probably would only have a 35% chance to win it all - too many variables (such as a team getting hot at the right time, i.e. the Giants).

Anyway, even though I was expecting it - I am still pretty depressed. I understand the reasoning, appreciate all that he's done, but I can't believe he won't be there to start. Also, I am around his age - and while my sports heros start to retire (Favre, soon - Shaq) - I start to realize I am getting older. While they were out there, I could always convince myself that hey - if they can do it, so can I. Now that the retirements have started, I am starting to subconsciensely feel my age.

I guess I will eventually get to acceptance, but for a while, I will stay depressed.

Lurker64
03-05-2008, 07:09 PM
I got to stage 4 pretty quickly. I can't listen to Sports radio or read any sports websites other than this one. At least I'm rediscovering a lot of my old albums.

MJZiggy
03-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm at stage 5. I had some quiet time last night to sit and, well, just sit. I loved watching Brett play, but after the joy he gave us, retiring by any means, for whatever reason is his right. He paid his dues and doesn't owe us anything.

That said, there's been something on my mind and this is more directed at the MSM who should know better:

BRETT FAVRE IS NOT DEAD!!! STOP TALKING ABOUT HIM IN THE PAST TENSE!!!

I just watched that NFL films piece (thanks PIPL for posting it) and it drove me nuts. He still loves to laugh and joke and can still throw the ball. He just doesn't do it professionally any more. Drive me freakin' nuts!!!

wpony
03-06-2008, 05:28 AM
hi i am 1 and 4 together denial and wont watch tv to confim it till I am ready just putting it on DVR to watch it when I am ready. :pc:

Bretsky
04-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Bumping what was a pretty good thread when we all heard the announcement

I've finally reached stage 5

gbgary
04-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Brett who?

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/images/smilies/stop.gif stop! stop!

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/images/smilies/bye.gif just kidding!!

packinpatland
04-05-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm at stage 6.......my first thought when I read the initial announcement was 'Oh sh*t......please tell me this isn't happening'......getting to #5 was a big hurdle....I didn't want to have to do any back pedaling.

The Shadow
04-05-2008, 06:48 PM
I am looking forward to the future.

Brando19
04-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm ok right now. All these stupid rumors about Brett returning w/a different team make my stomach feel weird. I'm sure come September when the Packers play Minnesota, I'll be sad again. That being said...I'm glad when the Packers season is over I won't have to worry about whether our QB is coming back or not.

Kiwon
04-06-2008, 03:48 AM
Bumping what was a pretty good thread when we all heard the announcement

I've finally reached stage 5

I was thinking of doing this a couple of days ago.

I think there will be several people who are at stage 5 right now who will go through the cycle again once the pre-season and season starts.

Fans might revisit stage 1 if A-rod gets knocked out early via injury or takes a sack when Brett would have escaped or thrown the ball away.

Life without #4 as a leader will be tough for the players as well.

Farve was the face, heart, and soul of the Packers for so long. It will be just plain strange to see him missing from the field.

packers11
07-03-2008, 11:26 PM
so are we all back to #1??? :lol:

oregonpackfan
07-04-2008, 12:50 AM

If someone is "brought back to life" such as Favre's alleged coming out of retirement, then there is no stage of grieving. Wouldn't that make sense? :?

MJZiggy
07-04-2008, 07:47 AM

Is #1 sick of listening to a bunch of ladies overanalyze everything anyone says or Favre does relating to this topic, picking apart everything he says (well, he didn't say it was a FALSE rumor). I sai it before. This place sounds like a bunch of high school girls trying to figure out if a boy really does like their friend (and then, like, HE said....)

Anyone ever think that maybe he actually sent that supposed message to Mort saying he's not coming back and Mort simply didn't report it to keep the circus around him going a little longer?

GBRulz
07-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Is #1 sick of listening to a bunch of ladies overanalyze everything anyone says or Favre does relating to this topic, picking apart everything he says (well, he didn't say it was a FALSE rumor). I sai it before. This place sounds like a bunch of high school girls trying to figure out if a boy really does like their friend (and then, like, HE said....)

Anyone ever think that maybe he actually sent that supposed message to Mort saying he's not coming back and Mort simply didn't report it to keep the circus around him going a little longer?

I can see these comments coming from a guy, but come on Z...I expect better from you!!

Scott Campbell
07-04-2008, 08:33 AM

I can see these comments coming from a guy, but come on Z...I expect better from you!!

Oh, this is good. They're breaking ranks. The holy sisterhood is in jeapordy.

:lol:

woodbuck27
07-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Stage five.

I respect his decision.

I had already considered the fact that stopping now---after the season he had in 2007---was pretty close to going out on top. Many things that could have gone either way went right in 2007. The odds were very unfavorable that he would do better in 2008---in terms of stats, wins, or playoff accomplishments.

Just about everything---in terms of young player development, injuries (to himself or to teammates), competition in the NFC and NFC North, etc.---would have to go right again in 2008 for Favre to match or improve upon the career-bests or career near-bests in numbers and team wins that he had in 2007. The odds don't favor that, especially when he's a year older.

I think the sour ending in January hit Favre so hard that he did not want to come back with the knowledge that the odds strongly favor another ending like that, or even worse, in 2008. Not because the team is bad or anything like that, but because even with the pieces in place, there is still only one team out of 32 that stays helathy enough all season long and catches the right breaks at the right time to claim the trophy. There is no inevitibility in winning it all---just ask the Pats. (:jig:)

Also, the forearm nerve injury he suffered in Dallas was very similar to the one he suffered in the Pats game in 2006. He has a chronic dislocation problem in his left shoulder, the ankles, the forearm, and also the concussion in '06. I think he believed he was playing on borrowed time in terms of injuries. He had nothing left to prove, so he walked away while he still could.

We've heard it before from retiring coaches who say that after a while the losses hurt much more than the wins bring joy, and then it's time to stop. Favre felt this way, and decided to stop while he still had his health.

Now it's time for the Aaron Rodgers era to begin. Love ya Brett, but I'm ready.

That was a fine post and thorough evaluation to acceptance the_idle_threat.

Maybe Favre needs to read it?

woodbuck27
07-04-2008, 09:19 AM

Yup. Too much emotion fr. 'a cool gal '.

TT ? :)

texaspackerbacker
07-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I, too, am in Stage Five, Acceptance.

I didn't take long in Denial; I basically skipped Stages 3 and 4, Bargaining and Depression; My anger also wasn't/couldn't have been directed at Favre who has done so much for so many Packer fans, It also wasn't/couldn't be at Thompson--who also has done a lot of good in a relatively short time, and who basically represents the status quo--something I place great store in a lot of contexts. My anger is directed at the God damned media which I see as very possibly responsible for PUSHING Favre into retirement, and which I tend to hate in a lot of contexts for the harm they do.

I tend to flip-flop back and forth between Stage 5 Acceptance and Stage 2 Anger whenever the old wounds are stirred up by this unretirement talk.

mraynrand
07-04-2008, 10:45 AM
My anger is directed at the God damned media which I see as very possibly responsible for PUSHING Favre into retirement

Tex, can you expand on this? How did you see the media's role in pushing for Favre's retirement? If you just mean them asking the 'retirement question' all the time, so what?

Guiness
07-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Isn't the better question 'What stage is Brett at?'

texaspackerbacker
07-04-2008, 05:14 PM
My anger is directed at the God damned media which I see as very possibly responsible for PUSHING Favre into retirement

Tex, can you expand on this? How did you see the media's role in pushing for Favre's retirement? If you just mean them asking the 'retirement question' all the time, so what?

I probably have written this before someplace.

IMO, the retirement mess, just like I believe about this unretirement mess, began with media assholes stirring up trouble by asking Brett stupid leading questions. And nice guy that he is, he didn't want to offend them by telling them what dumbasses they were or to get outta his face. In fact, he kept giving truthful answers like yes, he had given it some thought or no, he wasn't completely sure he would be back. The media shitheads took those innocent answers and ran with them. And after a while, he probably felt like he was backed into a corner and would look like a fool if he came back and played after giving credence, albeit innocently and unintentionally that he was leaning toward not coming back.

Add to that a touch of frustration over the way the season ended as well as the stress and physical pain of preparation, and he made a hasty decision.

I honestly think, though, that he would be perfectly content to live with that hasty decision, if not for the scab being picked at by the God damned media again.