PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day

jack's smirking revenge
05-26-2006, 01:33 PM
I hope ya'lls have a fun, restful (in my case), and SAFE Memorial Day Weekend. I don't want to have to put any of you in the Darwin thread.

Take care!

tyler

MJZiggy
05-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Have a good one Jack. There's gonna be a lot of getting caught up on stuff 'round here this weekend. There's also the mandatory pickup soccer and baseball games and perhaps the first bike ride of the year.

Deputy Nutz
05-26-2006, 01:58 PM
It is supposed to be very nice in Wisconsin this weekend.

Charles Woodson
05-26-2006, 03:26 PM
It is supposed to be very nice in Wisconsin this weekend?

what do u mean this weekend, you mean its only warm and sunny in miami? :D

Harlan Huckleby
05-26-2006, 03:46 PM
And think about the people that went to war and got blown up for it. It's true that freedom isn't free, there are always shitheads popping up that have to be confronted.

GrnBay007
05-27-2006, 08:32 PM
There is a grave close to my Grandparents and my Father's (first year) site that is a 20 yr. old Vietnam Vet. For years there have never been any flowers on his grave and my sister and I kind of "adopted" him. Each year we make sure there is a flag and some flowers on his grave. Last year when my sister went there someone was standing at his monument. She went over and talked to him and learned that the guy was a childhood friend of his and told her about him having a very rough young life.....group homes, fostercare, etc. Today when I went there I noticed 6 coins sitting perfectly along the top of the veterans plack. .43 cents. I so wonder who put it there and what the meaning is behind it.

If you ever get the chance to visit the Vietnam Veterans Wall do so.....it's incredible! A replica visited our city a few years ago and you would not believe turn out there was......night and day for two weeks there was a crowd and so many notes and special gifts left. It was very moving!

MJZiggy
05-27-2006, 08:37 PM
You could go to the wall in DC and take an etching of "your" vet's name...

GBRulz
05-27-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm up in the northwoods of WI this weekend. Storming outside right now though, but tomorrow hot/humid 90 degrees. ick. It can't get warm in WI without the humidity, I swear.

I've seen the wall in D.C. - I was only in 8th grade at the time and probably didn't appreciate it as much as I would if I had seen it now. The changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier was very cool as well.

b bulldog
05-27-2006, 09:28 PM
If you see a vet, thank him for all that he or she has done.

b bulldog
05-27-2006, 09:28 PM
If you see a vet, thank him or her for all that he or she has done.

Joemailman
05-27-2006, 10:23 PM
My late father was a World War II veteran. One of his pet peeves was that the government doesn't do a better job of taking care of veterans when they return from war. That doesn't seem to change no matter which political party is in power. If you have a bumper sticker on your vehicle proclaiming that you support the troops, please consider doing so financially. There are many organizations, VFW, Disabled American Veterans, and others, who need your support.

On Monday I will attend a mass held every Memorial Day in a cemetery in my hometown. My father is buried there. So is a cousin who was killed in VietNam. His mother will be there, and I think it means something to have people she knows, to be there on Memorial Day. She is a very strong person who, although I know questions why she lost her son, never speaks about it in an angry way. If you know of someone whose family has suffered such a loss, think about them on Memorial Day. And if you think it would be helpful, let them know you are thinking about them.

Jimx29
05-28-2006, 02:53 PM
93° right now in Barron county w/full sun and about a billion degrees humidity and dew points.......I believe i'll go attack my new hammock :cool:

hope this doesn't happen........

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/1971/treehouseofhorrorxiiia4hh.jpg

Packers4Ever
05-28-2006, 03:36 PM
There is a grave close to my Grandparents and my Father's (first year) site that is a 20 yr. old Vietnam Vet. For years there have never been any flowers on his grave and my sister and I kind of "adopted" him. Each year we make sure there is a flag and some flowers on his grave. Last year when my sister went there someone was standing at his monument. She went over and talked to him and learned that the guy was a childhood friend of his and told her about him having a very rough young life.....group homes, fostercare, etc. Today when I went there I noticed 6 coins sitting perfectly along the top of the veterans plack. .43 cents. I so wonder who put it there and what the meaning is behind it.

If you ever get the chance to visit the Vietnam Veterans Wall do so.....it's incredible! A replica visited our city a few years ago and you would not believe turn out there was......night and day for two weeks there was a

crowd and so many notes and special gifts left. It was very moving!

What a nice story for this day, GB007, sad for the young man who died so early - but refreshing to hear about the awesome interest in 'the Wall.'
Thanks

Jude

MadtownPacker
05-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Thank you to all the brave Americans that lost their lives and health for us to be able to live in the great country we do today.

Packers4Ever
05-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Thank you to all the brave Americans that lost their lives and health for us to be able to live in the great country we do today.

Amen to that, MTP ! And although we all gripe now and then, some of us more than others, I doubt there's a single one who would rather live outside our country.

Jude

GBRulz
05-28-2006, 10:42 PM
I dunno, all the good jobs are going over to India now.. :wink: