PDA

View Full Version : Hoping he has no Regrets

Farley Face
03-04-2008, 10:42 PM
I was hoping for one more run, but now that he has hung them up, I hope they stay hung.

If he comes out in a week or even a month and says "Oops, I was wrong, I want one more shot in GB at a title", I'd love it. But I don't want there to be any BS media stoked drama next year about him signing with God knows who for "one last run".

I worry when any athlete starts their retirement with "I know I can still play". Gives me visions of Jordan in a Wizards uni and I cringe.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2008, 10:48 PM
I hope he doesn't waiver--unless Rodgers gets injured early in the season and he comes in to save the season. He would look selfless in that instance.
:D

Farley Face
03-04-2008, 10:50 PM
I hope he doesn't waiver--unless Rodgers gets injured early in the season and he comes in to save the season. He would look selfless in that instance.
:D

Would he be wearing a cape and have a golden "G" on his chest in this scenario? :lol:

KYPack
03-04-2008, 10:56 PM
I don't care if he comes back crawling on his knees and begging, I'll take him back.

With Brett, anything is OK.

Whatever he does is all part of the "Favre legacy".

I usually hate it when people like Jordan don't quit and stay quit,.

But with Brett, it's different. If he has second thoughts, he can change his mind as far as I'm concerned.

Farley Face
03-04-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't care if he comes back crawling on his knees and begging, I'll take him back.

But with Brett, it's different. If he has second thoughts, he can change his mind as far as I'm concerned.

Assuming he is on his knees back to Green Bay I presume? What if next year the media stokes rumors about a return to God knows where?

Do you want to see a 40 year old Brett flinging it in San Francisco? I sure as hell don't.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 11:01 PM
I could forgive him having second thoughts.

I'm not sure Rodgers will.

Farley Face
03-04-2008, 11:03 PM
I could forgive him having second thoughts.

I'm not sure Rodgers will.

Read my post. Second thoughts to GB are one thing, second thoughts (or media stoked rumors) to who knows where next year are another.

KYPack
03-04-2008, 11:06 PM

Assuming he is on his knees back to Green Bay I presume? What if next year the media stokes rumors about a return to God knows where?

Do you want to see a 40 year old Brett flinging it in San Francisco? I sure as hell don't.

Yeah, GB only, FF.

If Brett would try to come back with say, the Saints, I'd go nuts.

Bretsky
03-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Players have a right to change their mind

Likewise Green Bay would have the right to turn him away if the timing of his mind change was not good.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 11:07 PM
He's not playing anywhere else. That much I'm 100% sure of. If he is quitting because of the workload, then going to another team and having to learn an entirely new offensive system would be a bitch and a half.

Farley Face
03-04-2008, 11:08 PM

Yeah, GB only, FF.

You'd go nuts. I'd barf. :)

Nothing finer than an athlete walking away on their own terms. Nothing sadder than an athlete that can't let go. I'm betting Brett belongs to the first group.

Farley Face
03-04-2008, 11:15 PM

Yeah, GB only, FF.

You'd go nuts. I'd barf. :)

Nothing finer than an athlete walking away on their own terms. Nothing sadder than an athlete that can't let go. I'm betting Brett belongs to the first group.

Rest his soul, but Reggie in a Panthers uni after a year of "retirement" was enough, I don't want to see Brett follow suit.

GBRulz
03-04-2008, 11:34 PM
I've been reading some very interesting comments from DavidPHX on Brett's official site. For those that don't know, David is Brett's pilot and he's also a mod on his site. Thankfully, he's a better pilot than he is with spelling, but here is a comment he just posted tonight on a thread called "Was Brett Ready To Retire"

Bus Cook told it the way it was. Brett was respectful and didn't want to stir things up. He appreciates the years in Green Bay and knows how special this ride was. Look at Bus's quotes today. We could have kept Brett one more year and made a good run. Ted got a new contract from last years run. They could have thrown Brett a bone to, not money a few veterans to help. But its over Brett can be proud and fans should wish Brett well

I know there was lots of bickering this morning about Bus Cook's comments, but hearing something like this really makes me wonder what's going on at 1265 Lombardi Ave.

I wish Brett needed money, so he'd have to sell out and write a tell all book :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Brett's worked under Ted Thompson for 3 years. He should know how he works. Players telling GMs what they should so is never a good thing. If this is true, how the hell could Brett not be happy with Thompson finding him Greg Jennings, James Jones, Koren Robinson, Donald Lee, and Ryan Grant? Plus, extending Donald Driver (twice) and ensuring he's around for him. (Not to mention Brett got paid $10M/year to QB the team--not play GM.) Most QBs would feel extremely grateful to a GM that finds that kind of talent for him. Not to mention rebuilding an average defense and a shitty special teams unit.

I'm going to assume this isn't true--because otherwise I'll think less of Brett (not a lot but a smidge less).

GBRulz
03-05-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm with you 100% Harv, it's just hard to ignore when Brett's personal pilot is reiterating over and over about how Bus's comments were true.

The Leaper
03-05-2008, 09:17 AM
I am convinced that there is truth in Cook's comments. You can't be an agent for a guy like Favre for so long and not have an intimate understanding of what your guy is feeling.

Favre blew up last year when he didn't think the team was improving. He openly called out the GM. That right there tells you there is truth in Cook's comments.

Favre did not feel appreciated by Thompson...and Favre, despite his toughness and macho image, is more of an emotional person deep down. Thompson's cold shoulder bothered Favre...who probably was loved and coddled a little too much by Ron Wolf and Mike Sherman.

What disappoints me is that Favre seems to have taken the fans out of the consideration altogether in this decision. He opted out of the Pro Bowl. He shrunk away from the limelight when he retired and left his agent to speak for him until it was too controversial for him to ignore.

I don't care that he retired...but at some point you have to recognize that the reason you can walk away on your own terms is due in large part to the fans of the Green Bay Packers who supported you through it all. When you are a famous athlete, you work for the fans just as much as you do for team management...because none of it would be possible without the fans.

Personally, I feel Favre dropped the ball on this. He could've handled things so much better...even if his final choice was the still the same. He should have announced his retirement to his fans himself.