PDA

View Full Version : McGinn Article- Some surprises

Bretsky
03-04-2008, 11:38 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=724850

Bretsky
03-04-2008, 11:40 PM
A master of concealing his feelings, Thompson struck all the proper chords Tuesday. But when the general manager said he hadn't tried to persuade Favre, let alone beg him, to play another season, it spoke volumes about the dynamics of their relationship.

For all his records and adulation, Favre always needed to be stroked. Thompson wasn't stroking. Maybe feelings were hurt. Maybe that's the way it goes.

I wonder where this came from; McGinn seems to be reading too much into this.......or he has inside information. Either way I was surprised it was written

Scott Campbell
03-05-2008, 06:24 AM
WTF? He calls himself a journalist. Would any GM be expected to BEG Favre to keep playing?

RashanGary
03-05-2008, 06:49 AM
More and more I'm beginning to think McGinn's a liar. I listened to: TT, MM, Harlan and Wolf all live. They asked Wolf if he would have tried to talk Brett out of it and Wolf said he would never try to talk someone out of a life decision. TT said the same thing. He said it's not his place to try to talk somebody into or out of a life decision. It was just respect.

McGinn loves to stir shit.

gbpackfan
03-05-2008, 07:49 AM
This is a PERFECT example of the media trying to sell papers. It is NOT TT's job to BEG Brett Favre to come back and play. Brett has 12 million reasons to play. And if he wanted to be stroked, he would have come back. The fans treat him like a god!

Damn, I miss Brett already.

RashanGary
03-05-2008, 12:35 PM
For anyone that listened to the Wolf and TT conferences, this is a perfect example of what a scuzzy liar McGinn is. I recommend everyone who watched those conferences to read what a truth twising liar JS has employed and think about that when you buy their paper or subscibe to their website. You're better off just listenting ot the conferences yourself for free.

PackerBlues
03-05-2008, 12:49 PM
For anyone that listened to the Wolf and TT conferences, this is a perfect example of what a scuzzy liar McGinn is. I recommend everyone who watched those conferences to read what a truth twising liar JS has employed and think about that when you buy their paper or subscibe to their website. You're better off just listenting ot the conferences yourself for free.

Wow dude, "scuzzy truth twisting liar"? What did he say that was so bad. Hell, I read a few of his comments about Favre that I thought were a little off, but I would not call the man a "scuzzy truth twisting liar".

What did he say specifically that has ya calling him that? :?:

fan4life
03-05-2008, 01:38 PM
McGinn talks to people within TTs sphere of insiders... an article right after the NFC championship game reported that there were people in the organiztion who "already Sunday night" felt it was time to move on (from Favre.) McGinn is a credible journalist. We can argue with his "take", or that he may be listening to the wrong voices, but I can assure you that he is not making up that he heard them.

RashanGary
03-06-2008, 07:57 PM
A master of concealing his feelings, Thompson struck all the proper chords Tuesday. But when the general manager said he hadn't tried to persuade Favre, let alone beg him, to play another season, it spoke volumes about the dynamics of their relationship.

Later on after this interview, Wolf had a phone conference with the media. They asked Wolf if he would have tried to convince Brett to stay. Wolf said he would never do that, that a player could make his own choice about his life.

So Thompson says he didn't try to convince Brett to stay and it speaks volumes about their relationship but another GM who is known to have a great relationship with Brett says he wouldn't do it either. I guess I don't understand how McGinn would claim that speaks volumes about their relationship unless he just felt like twisting reality to sell papers.

Just know when you pick up that paper that you are not getting what happened, you are getting the drama padded view of what happened as told by someone who makes money on stirring the pot.

cpk1994
03-06-2008, 09:45 PM

Later on after this interview, Wolf had a phone conference with the media. They asked Wolf if he would have tried to convince Brett to stay. Wolf said he would never do that, that a player could make his own choice about his life.

So Thompson says he didn't try to convince Brett to stay and it speaks volumes about their relationship but another GM who is known to have a great relationship with Brett says he wouldn't do it either. I guess I don't understand how McGinn would claim that speaks volumes about their relationship unless he just felt like twisting reality to sell papers.

Just know when you pick up that paper that you are not getting what happened, you are getting the drama padded view of what happened as told by someone who makes money on stirring the pot.It seems McGinn is cribbing liberally from the playbook of Chris Mortensen, wh o even after Favre called him and told him the non-signing of Moss had no baring on his decision, but continued to report that it was the reason anyway.

RashanGary
03-06-2008, 10:34 PM
I was thinking the same thing. He's exactly what they look for at ESPN; loose with his ethics and loves to stir the pot.

Deputy Nutz
03-06-2008, 10:35 PM
The funny thing is in the last 8 games of the regular season Favre had a better numbers than he had in the first half

Something like 11 touchdowns to 8 INTs in the first 8 weeks compared to 17 touchdowns to 7 touchdowns. Favre wasn't faltering down the stretch.

McGinn was and is stirring the pot, Favre means more money to this franchise than any other player in the NFL, certainly more than Aaron Rodgers, the Packers needed Favre to retire like they need a hole in the head.

Merlin
03-06-2008, 11:51 PM
I don't think Favre needed to be stroked. I think Thompson was probably the first GM that Favre didn't have a "great" relationship with because Thompson is too business like. That kind of personality clash is hard to "fix". I wouldn't expect a GM to beg him to come back, nor would I expect the head coach to do that. I think that ultimately the game has changed into to much of a business and that just isn't Favre. He is right, it has to be tough to be Brett Favre and that is the lone thing I keep playing over in my head from his press conference.

Carolina_Packer
03-07-2008, 08:17 AM
I think Thompson was probably the first GM that Favre didn't have a "great" relationship with because Thompson is too business like. That kind of personality clash is hard to "fix".

Hard to say. I know you are only speculating. None of us will really ever know what kind of relationship they had. Your comment is based on your impression of TT in the media. He may have behaved entirely differently star player to GM-wise. I'm guessing things were handled with kid gloves. Not wanting to come on too strong or wanting to seem too indifferent. In the end, the decision was all Brett's and his family's. He had been considering this for years and the time had arrived. I don't think TT or McCarthy could have done more to keep Favre. It was just time. Nobody wanted it to end; who would? It was time.