Bretsky
03-04-2008, 11:45 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=724827

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2008, 11:51 PM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/275577

Packers: Rodgers cool, but others stunned by Favre's decision
By JASON WILDE, Press Gazette

GREEN BAY -- The text message arrived on Aaron Rodgers' phone around 8:15 Tuesday morning -- or 6:15 in California, where Rodgers was at the time.

FoxSports.com is reporting that Brett Favre is retiring, it read.

A little less than two hours later came Rodgers' reply.

MyBed.com is reporting that I'm trying to sleep.

So give the Green Bay Packers' new starting quarterback this much: He's cool under fire, at least when it comes to the biggest story in Wisconsin sports, and a life-changing moment for him personally.

That was the last we heard from Rodgers, whose voicemail box was full and unable to accept messages by Tuesday evening. And while coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson didn 't want to talk about how Rodgers will fare as Favre's heir, Thompson did admit "it's a little bit daunting knowing you're going to be going forward without Brett as your quarterback." McCarthy said "leadership-wise, there's definitely a void."

"I think the finality of it just kind of hits you," said Thompson, who'll have to re-sign No. 3 quarterback Craig Nall or add a veteran backup -- Tim Rattay, Mark Brunell, Chad Pennington and J.P. Losman could be among the options -- via free agency or a trade. "Brett Favre's not going to be our quarterback anymore."

McCarthy, whom Favre informed of his decision Monday night, said he spoke with Rodgers "briefly" on Tuesday morning, "just to update him on what's going on here and what was in front of him." Asked how Rodgers reacted, McCarthy replied, "I think he was a little surprised, but we really didn't talk much about Brett's decision. His comment to me was, 'How is Brett doing?' ''

The question now becomes, how will the Packers do without Favre? While no one was suggesting Tuesday the Packers are better off without Favre and with Rodgers as their starter, the fact Rodgers played so well in the in the Packers' 37-27 loss at Dallas Nov. 29 -- completing 18 of 26 passes for 201 yards, with a touchdown and no interceptions for a 104.8 passer rating after Favre injured his elbow gave his teammates confidence he could do the job if called upon.

And now, he's being called upon.

"It's going to be different. I think there's going to be a little bit of a transition here in Green Bay because the first thing you think of when you think of the Green Bay Packers is Brett Favre," linebacker A.J. Hawk said when reached Tuesday afternoon. "But I'm excited for Aaron to step in and get his chance.

"I think if you ask anyone on our team, the confidence level in Aaron is really high. I've only been around for two years, but I've seen what he can do in practice, how he prepares, everything he does. The Dallas game was a big test, and he stepped in to what at that time was the biggest game of the year and had a great game for us and handled all the pressure.

"You can tell in practice that Aaron has that 'It' factor. Whatever 'It' is. You can't know for sure until someone's been tested for many seasons, but Aaron's a confident guy, he knows the offense very well, and I wouldn't want anyone else leading this team. If you can't have Brett, I'm taking Aaron for us -- ahead of anybody."

Former Packers safety LeRoy Butler still isn't convinced Favre will stay retired -- having seen Hall of Fame defensive end Reggie White unretire twice -- but cautioned the Packers could find themselves in an awkward situation if Favre reconsiders later this spring or summer.

"Until I hear from him -- and I haven't to this point yet, (although) I'm sure I will later -- that he's retiring, I'm going to assume he 's still going to play. I think he's one of those kind of guys who has a change of heart sometime after the draft or minicamps or training camp, and I think he'll want to come back and play," Butler said.

"But this is the hard part: How do you move your team forward, and give Aaron the keys to the franchise, and then Brett comes back and you snatch (the keys) away from him? You've got to let him play. So that's tough. It's not tough now. But it's tough if some team calls and says, 'We'll give you a second-round pick and a couple million dollars in cash, (we) want Brett's rights.' Do you do it?"

Partial
03-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Man, there has to be some legs to the story about Favre not happy with management. Most statements from former players, friends, relatives, and agents have been about him still having the desire to play.

Jimx29
03-05-2008, 12:15 AM
It's not just coincidental that Moss signs, and next thing ya know Brett calls it quits :?

Lurker64
03-05-2008, 12:54 AM
It's not just coincidental that Moss signs, and next thing ya know Brett calls it quits :?

For the life of me I just cannot understand this line of reasoning. The only way it can make sense that Brett's retirement is tied to not getting Moss or other inaction of management to give him everything he wants is if Brett is some sort of petulant idiot child, which I refused to believe he is.

twoseven
03-05-2008, 05:42 AM

For the life of me I just cannot understand this line of reasoning. The only way it can make sense that Brett's retirement is tied to not getting Moss or other inaction of management to give him everything he wants is if Brett is some sort of petulant idiot child, which I refused to believe he is.
Give him everything he wants? I think management has given him a lot of things he needs since 05', but I cannot recall too many examples of giving him things he actually asked for, and if anyone suggests this team has been pandering to Brett's demands since TT took over I would ask for examples of the organization actually complying.

LL2
03-05-2008, 06:25 AM
If Favre retires because TT didn't sign Moss then so be it. Moss doesn't provide a guaranteed SB win. The Pats had the best season in NFL history, plus Moss and Brady broke records and they still didn't win the SB. So, Favre knows you can be that good and still not win it, and probably factored that into his decision.

RashanGary
03-05-2008, 07:02 AM
I get the sense that Favre would have came back if something convinced him they were going to win the SB this year. Signing Faneca or Moss might have convinced Brett but I odn't think we would have won teh SB anyway. This team is being rebuilt right, but the real greatness is yet to come as Thompson starts creeeping closer to the cap the right way, not the false-quick way.

I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist about Ron Wolf. I think Ron Wolf talks to Brett and tells him that Ted is thinking of the future and when Brett hears that, he thinks it's not worth it to come back just to lose. Trading CW was a future move. Not signing UFA's is a move that says we're not trying to sell the farm for a shot now.

If Thompson suddenly turned into Sherman with his philosophys and actions, I think Favre would come back but he would have been unpleasantly suprised by the results. TT is doign what is right IMO, but some people will never see it that way. But I did get the sense from everything I've heard that Favre would come back if he thought they were going to win the SB. Favre won the SB last time after some big moves. LIke many here, he might get the false impressoin that, that is how it has to be done. I think he was leaning on not coming back anyway, but if he really thought he was going to win the SB (Big signings) it might have been enough to get him back.

packinpatland
03-05-2008, 07:06 AM
HH....I thought you retired.

Bretsky
03-05-2008, 07:19 AM
I get the sense that Favre would have came back if something convinced him they were going to win the SB this year. Signing Faneca or Moss might have convinced Brett but I odn't think we would have won teh SB anyway. This team is being rebuilt right, but the real greatness is yet to come as Thompson starts creeeping closer to the cap the right way, not the false-quick way.

I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist about Ron Wolf. I think Ron Wolf talks to Brett and tells him that Ted is thinking of the future and when Brett hears that, he thinks it's not worth it to come back just to lose. Trading CW was a future move. Not signing UFA's is a move that says we're not trying to sell the farm for a shot now.

If Thompson suddenly turned into Sherman with his philosophys and actions, I think Favre would come back but he would have been unpleasantly suprised by the results. TT is doign what is right IMO, but some people will never see it that way. But I did get the sense from everything I've heard that Favre would come back if he thought they were going to win the SB. Favre won the SB last time after some big moves. LIke many here, he might get the false impressoin that, that is how it has to be done. I think he was leaning on not coming back anyway, but if he really thought he was going to win the SB (Big signings) it might have been enough to get him back.

You love TT more than any person I've ever met in my life

swede
03-05-2008, 07:27 AM

I do think the Moss deal had a little to do with it. Brett was looking for some good reason to overcome the malaise he felt and get excited about an 18th season. When Moss once again played Bus, Brett, and the Eagles like a fiddle and got as much money as he could out of the Pats the dream was done.

I think Moss was the white whale that gave Brett a Moby Dick about playing one more year. How about a 50 td year and a shot at the SB?

When it didn't happen the letdown just left Favre feeling a little down. He realized, as clearly as one can realize it, that he didn't have to come back. He could stay home and it would be okay.

Edit: And Bus Cook said some crappy things about Green Bay "not showing love." He is just ticked that Green Bay wouldn't help his client Moss sign for the Patriots for 35 million instead of 27 by getting into the bidding war. I always wondered, was Bus Cook a serious agent before he met Brett, or was he a hack that hit the lottery with the greatest qb of the era?

Edit Edit: And that doesn't mean that I'm critical of the team for not going after Moss. I would have been more welcoming of Moss this year than last, but the dude was just teasing the league to scare up more money from the Pats. ANd how DO the Pats have enough money to sign all these guys?!!!
Edi

RashanGary
03-05-2008, 07:30 AM
That's how I see it too, swede. I don't think he wanted to come back. I think it's too much for him. He's lost too many times to think it's likely to win but was looking for an excuse to believe again. He never got it and the last chance of getting it passed.

From there, he made the anouncment.

Bretsky
03-05-2008, 08:46 AM
That's how I see it too, swede. I don't think he wanted to come back. I think it's too much for him. He's lost too many times to think it's likely to win but was looking for an excuse to believe again. He never got it and the last chance of getting it passed.

From there, he made the anouncment.

That might be 100% spot on IMO

PackerBlues
03-05-2008, 10:19 AM
I think Favre knew that the Packers got a little lucky last year.

How many games were won by a Mason Crosby FG?

How many times did M3 make a play calling decision, that made you as a fan want to tear your hair out?

How many times did Special Teams pull off a much needed turnover to keep the Packers in a game they would have otherwise lost?

How many times was Favre able to get rid of the ball without throwing an interception or getting sacked, after the pocket collapsed in front of him?

Favre said it himself that it was the mental stress of always trying to improve on what he had done before. That the only way he could feel successful, would be to go to the Super Bowl and win. He said that the only way he could come back and feel like he had made the right decision is if he was to come back to win a Super Bowl. He did not feel that the odds were very good, and that he was not up to the challenge.

Would Moss have made a difference? Would any activity from Thompson in Free Agency have made a difference? None of us can know for sure, but I can guess that part of the reason that Favre didn't "feel up to the challenge" may have been because the only off season moves made up until his announcement to retire, had been to cut Bubba, get a 2'nd round pick for Williams, and the signing of Joe Toledo. :roll: Would those moves bring someone around from feeling a little lucky, to feeling like the team is now good enough to go all the way without relying on a little luck?

Green Bud Packer
03-05-2008, 10:35 AM
When I hear Brett Favre say he retired because of differences with the G.M. then i'll believe it. Scott Favre said Brett was done 3 years ago. Bus cook is a sport agent.Yeesh

PackerBlues
03-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Just one little problem with this "evil Bus Cook theory".

:laugh: Bus Cook is not Moss's agent, he is Brett Favre's.

Tim DiPiero is Randy Moss's agent. :shock:

Lurker64
03-05-2008, 11:21 AM

Considering that Randy Moss appears on Bus Cook's list of current NFL player clients (http://www.buscook.com/content/view/16/9/) (he's number 19 on the list), would I be allowed to use the pointing and laughing smiley as an appropriate retort?

RashanGary
03-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Bus probably loses a million dollars from Bretts salary and endorsments next year too. I'm sure he has his own little reasons (outside Moss) to be upset and bitter about this whole thing.

PackerBlues
03-05-2008, 12:32 PM

Considering that Randy Moss appears on Bus Cook's list of current NFL player clients (http://www.buscook.com/content/view/16/9/) (he's number 19 on the list), would I be allowed to use the pointing and laughing smiley as an appropriate retort?

Busted. :oops: Seems to me that this came up last season though, and it was reported that Moss had changed agents. I also ran a google search for Moss's agent, and ran across this article:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/02/29/no_hookup_for_moss_patriots/

in wich it says, "When reached after midnight, Moss's agent, Tim DiPiero, said he had no comment on negotiations and wouldn't answer a question as to whether Moss, now officially a free agent, had the parameters of a deal to stay with the Patriots, who elected not to place the franchise tag on the record-setting receiver."

It kind of led me to believe that Dipiero might in fact be Moss's agent. But, if you want to use the pointing and laughing smiley as a retort......... feel free. 8-)

mngolf19
03-05-2008, 12:41 PM

I believe DiPiero is correct. I've seen him comment in papers as Moss's agent. Also, using the list you provided it shows Fred Smoot playing for MN so I'm not sure if this is current.

Merlin
03-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Man, there has to be some legs to the story about Favre not happy with management. Most statements from former players, friends, relatives, and agents have been about him still having the desire to play.

Some of us thought this with the current management from day one. However, it was dismissed as being idiotic, moronic, and stupid. Don't "stir the pot"...

PackerBlues
03-05-2008, 12:56 PM

Some of us thought this with the current management from day one. However, it was dismissed as being idiotic, moronic, and stupid. Don't "stir the pot"...

STIR IT!!! :clap: STIR IT!!! :clap:

I just love watchin the
:shtf:

:drma: :drma: :drma:

fan4life
03-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Favre finally tired of carrying the team. When he asked for help last year, TT gave him lip service about upgrading the O-line, WR corps and running game. Then TT screwed with Moss and blew that deal. Rightly so, TT refused to get into a bidding war over Ahman Green. But he also concluded training camp with HUGE question marks surrounding the running game that should be there to support a 38-year old quarterback playing on borrowed time.

So Favre enters the season after committing to return, challenged to quickly develop chemistry with inexperienced WRs and 3rd down backs, and having to play behind a shaky O-line without even the threat of a running game.

But they figured out how to win. All under the scrutiny of fans, media and some within his own organization who had written off the old QB on the verge of rewriting the record books.

When the young team stumbled against SEA, Favre pulled them out of it and rode along for the ride as they caroused in the snow. But when they fell flat on their collective arses in the NFC championship game, Favre was labeled "old and cold" even though his young receivers couldn't catch, his O-line couldn't block and his defense treated Plaxico Burress to a career night.

Now, reports surface that voices within 1265 Lombardi Ave feel that its time to move on.

"Of course we want Brett to come back," TT says publicly. Excitement abounds that he might finally become a player in free agency to bring in a couple of veterans to shore up a couple of weak spots.

But, alas, TT makes no bold moves. And certainly doesn't call to reassure Favre that he won't be left again as the primary playmaker on a team expected to win it all. All this, while Favre recognizes that anything less than a SB would be a huge disappointment to himself and Packer fans everywhere.

Burnt out? Yeah, I bet he is. As Mort says, "The pressure of being Brett Favre finally caught up with him."

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Woe is Brett. That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at is that the GM surrounded Brett with a great receiving corps (Driver, Jennings, Jones, Robinson, Martin, Lee), a young stallion at RB (Grant), and at least 3 good OL (Tauscher, Clifton, and Wells). This unit was one of the top 3 offenses in football. The defense and special teams were also both top 10. This is a tiring angle. I'll agree with bulldog on this one. For maybe the 3rd or 4th year in his career, Brett was surrounded by talent that was good enough to get to the Super Bowl. Of course, he was the biggest part of their successul. Why not? He's a Hall of Fame QB. However, talent didn't cost them a Super Bowl berth. The team just got beat by a team playing better, and Brett let them down as much as anybody. I can't be mad at him. It wasn't a mental mistake. It was just a bad throw in bad conditions against a team that was playing very well.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-05-2008, 05:03 PM

Time for you to stop laughing as DiPiero IS HIS AGENT.

But Tim DiPiero, Moss' agent, said in The Boston Globe there were "certain intangibles" that pushed matters in the Patriots' favor.

"Oftentimes, when people judge whether a contract is a success, they look at how much it's worth. But there is more to life than just pure money," DiPiero said, according to The Globe. "In this case, Randy experienced some intangibles during the year, from his friendships, to his relationship with the coaching staff and others in the organization. Those intangibles had some value here."

Partial
03-05-2008, 05:19 PM

I am not blaming the management, though, I am blaming Favre. I don't get to tell my boss how to do his job, even if I am a hall of fame employee.

Partial
03-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Woe is Brett. That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at is that the GM surrounded Brett with a great receiving corps (Driver, Jennings, Jones, Robinson, Martin, Lee), a young stallion at RB (Grant), and at least 3 good OL (Tauscher, Clifton, and Wells). This unit was one of the top 3 offenses in football. The defense and special teams were also both top 10. This is a tiring angle. I'll agree with bulldog on this one. For maybe the 3rd or 4th year in his career, Brett was surrounded by talent that was good enough to get to the Super Bowl. Of course, he was the biggest part of their successul. Why not? He's a Hall of Fame QB. However, talent didn't cost them a Super Bowl berth. The team just got beat by a team playing better, and Brett let them down as much as anybody. I can't be mad at him. It wasn't a mental mistake. It was just a bad throw in bad conditions against a team that was playing very well.

Precisely. If he is going to bitch and moan about not getting Moss or more help than he is nuts. The team is chock full of quality offensive talent.

Fritz
03-05-2008, 05:23 PM
IF Brett Favre really needed Randy Moss in order to motivate himself to come back, then that's like a guy who needs to close his eyes and picture a Playboy Playmate in order to get it up for his wife - if that's what's happening, then there's a serious problem between the guy and his wife, and all the Playboy Playmates in the world aren't going to fix the problem between the guy and his wife.

Okay, no smart aleck comments now. Just to discourage it, let me be clear:

Brett Favre = Husband

Wife = Playing football for the Green Bay Packers

Randy Moss = Playboy Playmate

Wow. I bet no one in the history of the world has ever written "Randy Moss = Playboy Playmate" before.

PackerBlues
03-05-2008, 05:30 PM
IF Brett Favre really needed Randy Moss in order to motivate himself to come back, then that's like a guy who needs to close his eyes and picture a Playboy Playmate in order to get it up for his wife - if that's what's happening, then there's a serious problem between the guy and his wife, and all the Playboy Playmates in the world aren't going to fix the problem between the guy and his wife.

Okay, no smart aleck comments now. Just to discourage it, let me be clear:

Brett Favre = Husband

Wife = Playing football for the Green Bay Packers

Randy Moss = Playboy Playmate

Wow. I bet no one in the history of the world has ever written "Randy Moss = Playboy Playmate" before.

ummmmm..... heh heh. But if a guy did have a problem getting it up for his wife, and that playboy playmate came to stay with him and his wife.........to ummmm "play" with them for say an entire season.........I bet he would no longer have a problem getting it up. :lol:

RashanGary
03-05-2008, 05:33 PM
I though Eli Manning said it best when he won the SB. He said "In the 4th quarter with 3 minutes to go, this is what you want the chance to do"

Favre didn't want the ball. Rodgers does. It's time to let him ride off into the sunset and just let it go IMO.

cheesner
03-05-2008, 05:39 PM

Precisely. If he is going to bitch and moan about not getting Moss or more help than he is nuts. The team is chock full of quality offensive talent.
Personally, I thought getting Moss would have hurt Favre. He would have started chucking the ball up there again, rather than the patient - ball control approach he used most of the year. He had great success with the WR he currently has, and all but Driver are likely going to be better next season.

MJZiggy
03-05-2008, 08:02 PM
You guys just don't listen. When Mort tried to twist it, Favre even clarified. He spelled it out completely and this discussion is part of it. Every word he says is scrutinized and everyone believes what they wanna hear no matter what he really says anyway.

Peter King did a great piece on why he knew Favre was done long before he retired. No matter what you think of him from a journalistic standpoint, he listens and picks up nuances.

As to TT's "showing him love," it's been stated that what Thompson did was give him space. Favre would have to be a complete idiot not to know without doubt that he was wanted back in Green Bay, and after watching him since 1992, I can assure you, he's no idiot. He doesn't need his ego stroked, he doesn't need to be treated like a little boy or micromanaged. If I were TT, I'd have let him have some room to breathe as well. M3 talked to him and gave him the space and the needed sounding board to actually come to the conclusion that he needed to reach.

b bulldog
03-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Brett said last offseason that he really didn't know if he wanted the ball with 2 minutes left. IMO, Brett really is worn out and tired at the moment and the Giants defeat still gnaws at him but I do think in a few months, he will be kicking himself for retiring. The Packers were lucky in the beginning of the year and injury wise they were all season but by years end, they were definitely one of the best teams in football and with all of their youth, they should be a better team just by being a year older. If it is true that the lack of any "big" signing made Brett retire, shame on Brett. I still won't believe this crap about the pressure being too high, ask the pats about pressure. I think that may just be an out for him. Brett is,or at least was a huge competitor and competitors are not afraid of losing to the point where they will not even compete.