PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2006

Pages : 1 [2]

Harlan Huckleby
07-10-2006, 05:41 PM
I read on a blog that it wasn't a slur against Henry but rather against Zidane's heritage (Muslim of Algerian descent).

of course that doesn't justify what he did.

Just think how easy it would be to win sporting matches if you could get any player thrown-out by insulting their heritage.

Fosco33
07-10-2006, 07:22 PM
I read on a blog that it wasn't a slur against Henry but rather against Zidane's heritage (Muslim of Algerian descent).

of course that doesn't justify what he did.

Just think how easy it would be to win sporting matches if you could get any player thrown-out by insulting their heritage.

I wasn't suggesting that his actions were warranted. Players often hear it from fans and there's a lot of trash talking in sports b/w players - this guy just lost it. Next time, he should sponsor BOTH an anti race campaign (like this year) AND an anti violence message. Sticks and stones....

Harlan Huckleby
07-11-2006, 10:32 AM
that head butt had to hurt!

Fosco33
07-11-2006, 01:38 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/specials/world_cup/2006/07/11/bc.eu.spt.soc.wcup.materazzi.zidane.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Materazzi admits insulting Zidane
Italian defender denies calling French hero 'terrorist'

MILAN, Italy (AP) -- Marco Materazzi admits he insulted Zinedine Zidane before the France captain head-butted him in the World Cup final. Materazzi denies calling him a "terrorist."

"I did insult him, it's true," Materazzi said in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport. "But I categorically did not call him a terrorist. I'm not cultured and I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is."

Zidane and Materazzi exchanged words after Italy broke up a French attack in extra-time of Sunday's final in Berlin. Seconds later, Zidane lowered his head and rammed Materazzi in the chest, knocking him to the ground.

Zidane was sent off, reducing France to 10 men. Italy won the game in a penalty shootout.

"I held his shirt for a few seconds only, then he turned round and spoke to me, sneering," the Italian defender said. "He looked me up and down, arrogantly and said: 'If you really want my shirt, I'll give it to you afterwards."'

The 32-year-old Inter Milan player did not elaborate exactly on what he said to Zidane.

"It was one of those insults you're told tens of times and that always fly around the pitch," he said.

Media reports, based on interpretations by lip-readers, have suggested that Materazzi called Zidane a terrorist or insulted his mother or sister. Materazzi denies these claims, too.

"For me, the mother is sacred, you know that," Materazzi told the newspaper.

Materazzi is no stranger to controversy. He was suspended for two months for punching Siena defender Bruno Cirillo after a Serie A game in February 2004, and earned condemnation following a brutal tackle on Sweden and Juventus striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic in October 2005.

Materazzi was also sent off three times while playing for Everton in the 1998-99 season.

One Italian senator even suggested that Materazzi -- also sent off three times while playing for Everton in the 1998-99 season -- didn't merit selection for the Italian team because of his physical style.

Zidane also is known for having a temper. He was sent off for stomping on a Saudi Arabian opponent at the 1998 World Cup, while at Germany 2006 he was banned for France's group match against Togo.

Five years ago with Juventus, Zidane head-butted an opponent in a Champions League match against Hamburger SV after being tackled from behind.

Meanwhile, Rome Mayor Walter Veltroni accused FIFA of double standards, noting that soccer's governing body named Zidane as the tournament's best player after his head-butt, while Italy forward Francesco Totti was kicked out of the 2004 European Championship for spitting in an opponent's face.

"I notice a difference in the way in which Totti was treated after the spit and the way in which Zinedine Zidane has been lauded as a champion of soccer, even though he is held responsible for such a violent blow that it could even have had devastating effects," Veltroni said.

FIFA announced Tuesday it will open a disciplinary investigation into Zidane's conduct.

FIFA also said that the ballot box for the tournament's top player -- voted by journalists -- was open until after the final had ended, making it impossible to know how many ballots were cast before the match and during it.

No Mo Moss
07-12-2006, 06:02 PM
I categorically deny...blah blah blah"

You totally said this you piece of trash.

Fosco33
07-12-2006, 06:10 PM
I categorically deny...blah blah blah"

You totally said this you piece of trash.

He probably did it. But unless they've got a recording or can get a shot and read his lips - it's he said/he said.

What would be the normal course of action for name calling in FIFA? Is the punishment as bad as it would be for a head butt to the chest?

No Mo Moss
07-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Yes, any racial or hertiage slur would result in major action by FIFA. And right now with a race relations issue coming to a head in Italy, France, Spain and others FIFA would act very swiftly. For example if a soccer clubs fans are linked to racial motivated antics, that team can be relegated (kicked into the minor leagues). Very serious.

MJZiggy
07-12-2006, 06:51 PM
According to reports an interview he did either this morning or yesterday, Zidane said that Materazzi insulted his mother and sister and apologized to all the young impressionable people who might have been watching the match but that he did not regret what he did because that might indicate that he condoned what Materazzi said

Noodle
07-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Am I alone in not being that put out by what Zidane did? Yeah, it was stupid, yeah, he got owned, but I don't see it as some horrific act like some, especially in Europe, are describing it.

I'll tell you what's horrific -- busting into a guy's knees in a way that could end his career or chopping him down from behind. Check out some of this footage regarding poor ol' Materazzi: http://youtube.com/watch?v=rKGcUr0S-FU&search=Materazzi%20entradas , especially the whacking he puts on the black player in the corner.

Zidane went in straight up. It wasn't going to end Materazzi's career, but it was going to say "Enough!" Zidane should have kept it together, but his blow up was at least executed in an honorable fashion.

And don't tell me I don't know the game. I've been playing for longer than most folks on this forum have been alive (which is really a testament to how pathetically old I am).

MJZiggy
07-12-2006, 07:56 PM
The question then becomes, at what point is it ok to take someone's words and retaliate physically? Mat was trying to get a rise out of Zidane, trying to knock him off his game, hurling anything he could think at him. When is it appropriate to turn around and clobber him? I'd say Materazzi got what he wanted. I'm not condoning anything that Materazzi may have said or done in his career, but at a crucial time like that, I think it would be prudent to "use your words" or at least wait until you don't have a billion people watching you.

Noodle
07-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Ziggy, I agree with you. Zidane let his team down by losing his cool. The red card was deserved. Zidane shouldn't have done it, and it will be a huge black mark on the legacy of his career.

Jackie Robinson took a ton of crap and showed he was the better man by not retaliating. Zidane reacted to a provocation that pales next to what Robinson put up with. So again, I think Zidane made a huge mistake by playing in to the hands of the thug.

All I'm saying is that he could have done a lot worse, and maybe have gotten away with it. He didn't lay a career-ender on the guy. So I'm not going to get all outraged about it. I'm just going to be sad.

FavreChild
07-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Am I alone in not being that put out by what Zidane did? Yeah, it was stupid, yeah, he got owned, but I don't see it as some horrific act like some, especially in Europe, are describing it.

Right on!

I mean, I appreciate that the World Cup has come into mainstream American discussion. But it's unfortunate - yet predictable - that it had to take an act of violence to do it.

After all, c'mon...is this really so "shocking" or "controversial" compared to the crap that goes on in American sports? We have violent criminals not only participating but being heralded in our pro sports (see: Kobe Bryant, Ray Lewis), let alone just "poor sports" like Zidane. Oh yeah, we also have athletes attacking FANS in the stands. Not to mention the commonplace personal fouls, like the Michael Pittman spit, Warren Sapp's hit on Cliffy, and the obligatory, intentional bean balls. (I needn't go on, but there are about a million examples.)

Not to minimize what happened in the World Cup final, but for any of us American to act as though we are "shocked" but the event is a total eye-roller. Ya know??

HarveyWallbangers
07-12-2006, 09:03 PM
No Mo, you seem to be throwing Materazzi under the bus. Maybe it's because of the racist incidents that have been going on in Italy. Maybe it's your liberal leanings. :D However, Zidane admitted today that Materazzi didn't call him a "dirty terrorist" or racial slur. Zidane told him they could exchange shirts after the game (Materazzi was holding his jersey), and the dude talked some trash about taking the shirt of Zidane's sister and Mom or something.

Like Noodle, I don't see it as a horrific deal either, but I don't think you can blame Materazzi. I doubt what he said hasn't been said on an NBA court or football field numerous times over.

Blame Zidane. Somebody talked serious trash, and he lost control.

HarveyWallbangers
07-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Not to minimize what happened in the World Cup final, but for any of us American to act as though we are "shocked" but the event is a total eye-roller. Ya know??

Where did this come from? Most Americans couldn't care less what Zidane did. I don't think there's too many who were "shocked" by it. I think Noodle's point is that 1/2 of Europe is having a cow over it.

I AM shocked that European countries don't seem to be doing anything concrete to combat the racist acts that have been happening all over there (monkey sounds, racial slurs, taunts, etc.). I AM shocked that Latin American countries don't seem to be doing anything concrete to combat their fans from throwing batteries, urine, etc. on our soccer players. I am NOT shocked by Zidane, and I doubt that many people here are.

FavreChild
07-12-2006, 09:16 PM
OK, well, it's only been discussed for two pages here...top of the discussion on major sports talk shows (radio and TV) on Monday thru today. So...yeah...it's been a hot topic.

My point, again, is that it wasn't really so controversial compared to what goes on here. Sure, the Europeans are up in arms about it, and that's OK! This is a huge deal in Europe.

But let's not pretend it's a big deal here. Not because it's World Cup...but because that behavior is expected here.

HarveyWallbangers
07-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Re-read the last two pages. I don't shock would describe what people felt. It wasn't like people were being hypocritical about it. I think most here just feel he was stupid for doing it.

HarveyWallbangers
07-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Good take.

History of violence
Gabriele Marcotti, SI.com

The French singer Jean-Louis Murat summed up Zindine Zidane like this: "Nobody knows if Zidane is an angel or a demon ... He smiles like Saint Teresa and grimaces like a serial killer."

Murat is a huge Zizou fan and there is a fair dose of truth in those words. His genius has always had a dark side, as evidenced by the 14 red cards he collected in his career. The last month showed him at his best -- when, as one paper put it, he was the only "Brazilian" on the pitch when France played Brazil -- and at his worst, when he head-butted Marco Materazzi in the World Cup final.

His final public appearance, Wednesday night, could have offered some degree of redemption, but, instead, it was more darkness than light.

Zidane said Materazzi provoked him by insulting his mother and sister. And he said that while he apologized to the "children" who had witnessed the incident (but, bizarrely, nobody else who might not have enjoyed seeing a grown man assault another adult) he had no regrets and would do it all over again.

"I tell myself that if things happened this way, it's because somewhere up there it was decided that way," he added.

That last part was perhaps the most absurd. Blaming God -- or whatever deity you believe in -- for your actions borders on the demented. Whatever your religion, one thing they all share is that there is a degree of free will, that God gives you the power to make your own decisions. The "God wanted it that way" defense (and it's not-so-distant cousin the "God made me do it" defense) is particularly hard to swallow.

Beyond that, discovering that Materazzi had "only" insulted Zidane's mother and sister was a bit of a letdown. Anybody who has played any kind of competitive team sport at any level (with the possible exception of volleyball and polo) will have heard a fair amount of trash talking.

It's ugly, sure. It's childish, absolutely. But most people do not snap and head-butt opponents when their mother is insulted, particularly when that insult occurs in the private sphere of two men at close quarters on a soccer pitch.

The fact that Zidane did not elaborate on the nature of the insult only adds to the confusion. What horrible thing could Materazzi have said that would prompt such a reaction in a normal person?

The answer is ... nothing. Insults of that nature hurt the most when they come from someone who actually knows you (or your mother). Materazzi has never met Zidane's mother or his sister. He only knows Zidane as an opponent. And, if he did insult either one, most would have taken it and responded in kind.

Of course, the whole matter of whether Materazzi even insulted Mrs. Zidane is open to debate. The Inter defender denies it in the strongest terms: though he admits to insulting the French captain, albeit in a way which is common in sporting arenas everywhere. Who you believe on this point is a matter of personal choice. I've known Materazzi for eight years, I know that his mother died when he was 15, there is no doubt in my mind that, when it comes to mothers, he treads very carefully. But then, maybe I'm biased, because I know and like Materazzi.

But even if one chooses to believe Zidane, it's difficult to reach any other conclusion than this: his act was indefensible and he certainly did not help himself with his explanation, particularly when he suggested that he would do the exact same thing again if faced with the same situation.

A more plausible explanation for Zidane's actions is that he was simply exhausted and frustrated and he lost control, just as he did so many times before. It started in 1993, when he got into a fist fight with Marcel Desailly, it continued through a career which saw him stomp on a Saudi defender, punch Parma's Enrico Chiesa, head-butt a Hamburg player, lash out at Villarreal's Quique Alvarez and, finally, nail Materazzi.

Some people are like that. They're human. Zidane was blessed with an outrageous amount of talent, as well as the intelligence and work ethic to make the best of it. But he's not perfect. The price of all that was a short fuse, a red mist that occasionally engulfed him.

Zidane will no doubt be criticized for not apologizing. But there are few things worse than an empty apology. If he doesn't feel sorry, he shouldn't apologize. By not apologizing, at the very least, he is staying true to himself. If that's the way he is, so be it. You either love him or hate him.

It's genuinely sad that this happened in the final professional game of his career. But only the ignorant will remember him for this. Those who love the game will remember him for the thrills and delight he offered up so many times, for the sheer elegance of his game and for the way teammates looked up to him.

At least, that's what I'll remember.

Zidane's words - -and Materazzi's response -- will hopefully put an end to this squalid affair. But there is another category of people who really should not go unpunished.

Materazzi saw his name dragged through the mud by scumbags and muckrakers with nothing better to do.

A Paris-based group called "SOS-Racism" said Materazzi called Zidane -- who is of North African descent -- a "terrorist". So-called expert lip-readers confirmed this.

Mokhtar Haddad, Zidane's cousin, told the New York Times that Materazzi called him "either a terrorist or a son of Harkis" (a reference to the Algerian revolutionaries who helped defeat France in that country's war for independence).

Others freely called Materazzi a racist and a xenophobe.

Too bad for all these supposed experts and clairvoyants that Zidane himself confirmed that Materazzi's insult was not racist in nature and that he was never called a terrorist (much less a "son of Harkis" -- as if anyone with an IQ over 60 would ever believe that Materazzi has even heard of Harkis).

Those are the people who should be apologizing to Materazzi, the people who blackened someone's name, throwing out baseless accusations, the people who -- in their frenzy to figuratively burn someone at the stake -- accused an innocent man without a shred of credible evidence (and no, those lip-readers' fantasies do not constitute credible evidence). The people who ignored Zidane's teammate and possibly the French team's most intelligent and sensitive player, Lilian Thuram (a guy who knows a thing or two about racism) when he categorically said there "was no racial slur".

The worst thing about this is that when you make a baseless accusation of racism it's like the boy who cried wolf. When you next flag up racism, people will take your words with a bucketful of salt.

I hope Materazzi sues their behinds off and donates the proceeds to organizations that are serious about fighting racism in all walks of life.

FavreChild
07-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Whatever.

Of course it's fake shock, and we all know it. That is exactly my point. Why pretend? WHY the manufactured outrage?

That's all I'm going to say, 'cause you keep going around my point to subvert it. It's not that important.

HarveyWallbangers
07-12-2006, 09:47 PM
My point, again, is that it wasn't really so controversial compared to what goes on here. Sure, the Europeans are up in arms about it, and that's OK! This is a huge deal in Europe.

But let's not pretend it's a big deal here. Not because it's World Cup...but because that behavior is expected here.

That's what I take issue with. You are making it sound like Europe doesn't normally have these problems. Wrong! It's a shock there because this happened in what is the equivalent of 10 times the Super Bowl over there--not because this is unusual. They've had incidents over there as bad or worse than what's gone on here. You just haven't heard about most of them. It's not a shock here because people don't care about soccer. If Brett Favre got thrown out of the Super Bowl in the 4th quarter of a tie game for doing the same thing, it would be a huge issue here.

No Mo Moss
07-12-2006, 11:50 PM
No Mo, you seem to be throwing Materazzi under the bus. Maybe it's because of the racist incidents that have been going on in Italy. Maybe it's your liberal leanings. :D However, Zidane admitted today that Materazzi didn't call him a "dirty terrorist" or racial slur. Zidane told him they could exchange shirts after the game (Materazzi was holding his jersey), and the dude talked some trash about taking the shirt of Zidane's sister and Mom or something.

Like Noodle, I don't see it as a horrific deal either, but I don't think you can blame Materazzi. I doubt what he said hasn't been said on an NBA court or football field numerous times over.

Blame Zidane. Somebody talked serious trash, and he lost control.

Just like a true righty, use the "liberal" word in reference to absolutely nothing relavent.. :evil:

I don't Condone what Zidane did, its sad.
But Materazzi has been under the bus for years Harv. I've been watching this crap he pulls for years. In England last year he was particularly disgusting. He's racist trash and shouldn't ever be mentioned with Zidane. Zidane was an incredible player and his head butt does nothing to me to think of him as any less of a player. Before that world vup he had already proved himself as the greatest European player ever.

Materazzi was just the same trash before the world cup has he is now.

FavreChild
07-13-2006, 12:04 AM
If Brett Favre got thrown out of the Super Bowl in the 4th quarter of a tie game for doing the same thing, it would be a huge issue here.

No - Apples to oranges.

First of all, the scanario you proposed has never happened, to that degree, here in the U.S.

Secondly, if it DID happen, it would *not* be a big deal in Europe, i.e., overseas.

Thirdly, I never took issue with this being a big deal in Europe! In fact, I emphatically stated otherwise!! What I said was...that it's complete posturing for the U.S. sports industry to pretend that it's a big deal here, what with all the ridiculous events that have happened during our own sporting events.

Sorry, I'll try to explicate my argument more clearly next time. I know how you men can have a hard time following logic. :wink:

No Mo Moss
07-13-2006, 05:32 PM
I see the german soccer coach left the German National Team.
Hmmmmm. Let's see, lives in LA. Is a proven upcoming coach of a world class level.

I'll bet Bruce Arena steps down sometime this week.

Sometime next week Klinsmen is going to be the new coach of US soccer.

HarveyWallbangers
07-13-2006, 05:44 PM
For what it's worth, Klinsman said he has no interest in the USA job.

No Mo Moss
07-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Oh I'm sure that's what he said, but he has to say that. Why would he make a big deal about spending time with his family in LA leading up to the cup. Then have success and make great strides with a mediocre german team only to quit do do nothing.

The US soccer federation is going to dump a boatload of money his way, thats for sure. And all he has to do to collect is coach at the training center in his own backyard. With soccer on the rise in this country despite the poor showing of the US side, they know they must be a success at the next one.

If Klinsmen coaches a national team it will be the US. I have heard nothing about him coaching in a league anywhere. I also doubt he would spend 10 months a year living away from his family as he has been firm on the fact that his family will remain in LA.

I'm confident. Wait and see. If Arena steps down shortly I think you'll have a chain of events that lead Klinsmen to the job. That has to happen first.

Fosco33
07-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Oh I'm sure that's what he said, but he has to say that. Why would he make a big deal about spending time with his family in LA leading up to the cup. Then have success and make great strides with a mediocre german team only to quit do do nothing.

The US soccer federation is going to dump a boatload of money his way, thats for sure. And all he has to do to collect is coach at the training center in his own backyard. With soccer on the rise in this country despite the poor showing of the US side, they know they must be a success at the next one.

If Klinsmen coaches a national team it will be the US. I have heard nothing about him coaching in a league anywhere. I also doubt he would spend 10 months a year living away from his family as he has been firm on the fact that his family will remain in LA.

I'm confident. Wait and see. If Arena steps down shortly I think you'll have a chain of events that lead Klinsmen to the job. That has to happen first.

Nah, nah, nah, nah, hey, hey, hey, goodbye...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/07/14/arena.out/index.html

No Mo Moss
07-14-2006, 06:59 PM
STEP # 1 COMPLETED

Arena is the best soccer coach in the history of this country by far, but its time for a new regime.

Klinsmen.

No Mo Moss
07-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Maybe Bruce Arena already knew his fate when he gave what will now go down as his final press conference as U.S. national team coach.

Just a day after the United States' tournament-ending loss to Ghana, Arena showed up in street clothes, without a single U.S. soccer emblem on him. He spoke with his usual frankness, but also with the relaxed nature of a defendant who didn't need to hear the verdict to know what it would be.

Tony Quinn/WireImage
It's likely that only a deep run in the World Cup could have convinced the USSF to keep Bruce Arena on as coach.
Anyone who was truly surprised by Friday's announcement that U.S. Soccer would not be rehiring Arena must not have been paying attention for the past two months. Even before Markus Merk awarded Ghana a phantom penalty, or DaMarcus Beasley's would-be game-winner was waived off against Italy, or Jan Koller's header ripped the net to start the Czech Republic's 3-0 romp over the United States, Arena's days as U.S. coach were numbered.

Why? Because having the same national team coach for 12 years, no matter who the coach is, would have been far too much. Because newly-appointed U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati wanted the chance to put his stamp on the program he has been entrusted to lead. And finally, because everybody's dream replacement has become available and just returned to the United States.

Gulati acknowledged that Arena's lengthy tenure, though successful, had run its course and you were left wondering if Arena's fate was determined before he even arrived in Germany in June.

"We needed to wait until after the World Cup to make any decisions, to see what everyone was feeling like and to see what the results were at the World Cup," said Gulati. "Ultimately, The driving factor for us was eight years."

Was Arena's long tenure already a factor working against him before the 2006 World Cup?

"The answer is yes, but we have an extraordinary coach," said Gulati. "That was what the balance came down to. Under normal circumstances you wouldn't be thinking about a third run for virtually anyone."

In other words, Arena was a lame-duck coach at the World Cup who would only have salvaged his job with another deep run into the tournament. Anything less than a strong showing in Germany would give Gulati the ammunition to justify replacing Arena with a coach of his own choosing. The U.S. team's disappointing performance, coupled with comments by Arena that managed to ruffle plenty of feathers in the U.S. soccer constituency, suddenly gave Gulati the opportunity to say goodbye to Arena without the risk of much opposition.

The only really surprising development surrounding Arena's dismissal was Gulati's revelation that Arena still wanted the job and lobbied for it until the very end. Did Arena really want to go through it all again? Did he really want a job where nothing he would do for the next three years would matter, be it winning a Gold Cup or qualifying for the World Cup? Perhaps the tons of criticism Arena endured after the World Cup left him desperate to prove that this summer's disappointment was more bad luck than an indictment of his coaching skills.

With Arena out the door, Gulati and company can now turn their attention to the inevitable courtship of Juergen Klinsmann, who quit as Germany's coach last Wednesday. Klinsmann insisted vehemently that he had no interest in taking the U.S. national team job. Fighting through tears at his farewell press conference in Germany, Klinsmann insisted that he was returning to the United States to spend more time with his family. He told Germans that he was burned out as a coach.

The question now is how long will Klinsmann stay away from the sidelines. The Germany job was his first as a head coach and, at 41, Klinsmann is just beginning what could be a coaching career for the ages. The U.S. job offers the ultimate challenge for a young and ambitious coach and Klinsmann, who has lived here for eight years, is as qualified as any coach in the world to take on the unique challenges the U.S. coaching position presents.

Gulati tried his best not to anoint Klinsmann as the leading candidate to replace Arena but he couldn't exactly hide his respect for the former German coach. Gulati rattled off a laundry list of characteristics he would like to see in the next U.S. coach, a list that sounded very much like a description of Klinsmann.

"Does Juergen Klinsmann fit all those criteria? I think he probably does," said Gulati. "He's played at a very high level. He's now been a successful with the German team. He has a much better handle on the American soccer scene than somebody who hasn't spent time here."

Will Klinsmann replace Arena? It is one of the best bets you could ever make. The man affectionately known as 'Klinsi' in his native Germany will wait the requisite amount of time before taking a new job. The delay is out of respect for the German fans and players he left behind last week, but ultimately he will take the job. U.S. Soccer will wait as long as it must, but the deal will get done. U.S. Soccer can't afford not to hire Klinsmann and must do everything in its power to make it happen.

Gulati said repeatedly that the national team needs a newness, a freshness. This is very true. The team and its players need a new voice leading them, a coach with a fresh approach who will challenge every player equally and won't subscribe to the long-standing hierarchy established under Arena. While there are certainly players who are sad to see Arena go, there are also players who are relishing the chance to play for a new coach.

Landon Donovan isn't one of those players. You could already hear the uncertainty in Donovan's voice in an interview with ESPN just hours after Arena's dismissal. Donovan commented at not knowing whether he'd really be considered to be captain by the team's next coach and sounded a little uneasy about the prospect of playing for a national team coach other than Arena for the first time in his career.

Consider it a good example of why the national team needs a new start under a new coach. The U.S. national team needs a new coach to come in and look at the team with fresh eyes, someone with no established perceptions or favorites to play. Klinsmann is just the man to step in and call things how he sees them, to test players regardless of their resumes or standing in the U.S. Soccer community. There was definitely a stale feeling about the U.S. national team that was bound to happen after eight years under the same coach.

Maybe Arena knew that when he walked away from this summer's World Cup. He may have felt one final impulse to stick around, but Arena had to know that it was time for a change, both for his sake and for the sake of the program he spent the past eight years resurrecting.

Ives Galarcep covers MLS and the U.S. national team for ESPNsoccernet and is also a writer and columnist for the Herald News (N.J.). He can be reached at Ivespn79@aol.com.

Join the discussion on our Message Boards

Bretsky
07-15-2006, 02:34 PM
If Brett Favre got thrown out of the Super Bowl in the 4th quarter of a tie game for doing the same thing, it would be a huge issue here.

No - Apples to oranges.

First of all, the scanario you proposed has never happened, to that degree, here in the U.S.

Secondly, if it DID happen, it would *not* be a big deal in Europe, i.e., overseas.

Thirdly, I never took issue with this being a big deal in Europe! In fact, I emphatically stated otherwise!! What I said was...that it's complete posturing for the U.S. sports industry to pretend that it's a big deal here, what with all the ridiculous events that have happened during our own sporting events.

Sorry, I'll try to explicate my argument more clearly next time. I know how you men can have a hard time following logic. :wink:

FC I'D LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT MEN DO NOT UNDERSTAND WOMEN. IN FACT THE SMART ONES JUST GIVE UP TRYING :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
07-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Does Mrs. Bretsky know about this or are you just not that smart? :mrgreen: