PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2006

Pages : [1] 2

No Mo Moss
05-26-2006, 01:53 PM
I realize that not everyone on here is a fan of soccer and that's fine, maybe this will result in a few people gaining interest in the sport.

After four long years the world cup is finally back, this time in Germany for World Cup 2006.

Please use this thread for related discussions.

jack's smirking revenge
05-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Too bad that it sounds like the American team isn't worth crap this time around. I read that Reyna's already injured.

So, who in the heck do I root for? Aw, hell, it doesn't matter. It'll be fun to watch either way.

tyler

Deputy Nutz
05-26-2006, 02:02 PM
I like to pull for Germany, and Italy.

And any team that has their goal keeper assasinated.

No Mo Moss
05-26-2006, 02:34 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/trophy.jpg
HOW THE WORLD CUP WORKS:

For those who may watch the games, but aren't that familiar with how it works here is a brief explanation.

QUALIFYING AND SCORING
Two years ago groups were indentified for qualifying (usually based on region, CONCACAF is the USA, Mexico, Canda, Jamaica etc...region.) Typically there were six nations in each of those groups. Those teams play eachother twice each over the course of a year and a half. In soccer, no matter what country or competition, the scoring is always the same. A team receives ZERO points for a loss, ONE point for a tie, and THREE points for a win. The teams are assembled on a table. Tiebreakers are usually decided on goals for. During the CONCACAF qualifying the USA and Mexico qualified on points. Tinidad and Tobabgo won the playoff for the third spot in a shocking result. Those three teams now will compete in Germany from this Region.

WORLD CUP GROUPS:

After all the qualifying is complete the world football organization known as FIFA holds a World Cup draw. FIFA preselects the top eight teams in the world. They use the current skill level of the team as a factor as well as past world cup success. Those teams are each put in a group A-H. Then the remaining teams are picked randomly until all of the groups are filled.
Here are the groups:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/group/index.html

Starting June 9th the group stage will begin. Teams in a group will play eachother once. Using the aforementioned scoring system, the top two teams on each group table move on to the round of 16. The other two go home. From there the teams play single elimination games similar to the NCAA basketball tourney until they have a winner. If games are tied at the end of two 45 min halves, the game will go into sudden death overtime, also known as Golden Goal. Overtime consists of two 15 min. halfs if necessary. If there is still no winner then the game will go to the dreaded penalty shoot-out. Probably the most dramatic event in all of sports. The two teams select an order of shooters and gather at one goal on the field. The teams send one player to face the goalie with one kick, one player at a time. The teams take turns trying to make the shots. When it first starts each team alternates en route to 5 kicks per side. The team must match each other goal for goal by the 10th kick or the team with more goals wins. If the teams are still tied the game will go down to single kick for kick. If one team makes it, the other must match or lose and so on. The catch is that you may only use a player once until every player on the field has kicked before you can reuse a player. Many times you see goalies facing goalies in what is always a cardiac attack even for objective fans.

The USA plays in the so called "GROUP OF DEATH" this year. That title is usually given to the one group that appears to be the most difficult to advance from.
In the Group E we have

The number one ranked Czech Republic
The Always formidable Italy
The scrappy African Cup winners Ghana

A very tough draw, but that's what they said in 2002.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/fans.jpg

RECAP OF USA SUCCESS IN 2002

Picked in the "Group of Death" back in 2002, the USA faced Poland, Portugal and host nation Korea. In their first match they literally stopped traffic in Europe by beating the top ranked Portugal team.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/USA_soccer_obriengoal.jpg
After that the USA tied the host nation Korea and then were defeated by Poland. The USA advanced to the round of 16 to face their bitter rivals, Mexico. These two teams hate each other. The USA wins a convincing victory over Mexico and advances to the round of eight. There is no gray area at that point. Teams in the round of eight are impressive world soccer powers. The world definately was on notice. The USA then played Germany. The USA dominated Germany through the entire game. Germany scored in the 39th minute. The USA then pumeled the germans on the other end but couldn't break through legendary German Goal keeper Oliver Kahn. Then the most contraversial mooment of the 2002 World Cup occurred. Greg Berhalter fired a rocket to the top left of the net, eluding Kahns grasps. The German defender illegally used his arm to keep the ball out of the goal. This would result in a penalty kick which chances are would have been converted for the tying goal. With the US possessing all of the momentum they would be looking good for the win. Unfortuantely the call was missed. The US continued to rattle the net for the rest of the game but could not break through with a goal, and thus were eliminated.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/usa1.jpg

Many in Europe called the game a sham. The US had made the Germans look like an inferior side, and coming off the events of 911, the USA had a fan base in Europe and many enthusiastic fan cried fowl. At any rate the USA had officially jumped onto the international soccer radar. Over the next 4 years the US team would find themselves ranked as high as #4 on the FIFA world rankings. It's a very tough draw, but thats what they said last time.

THE SCHEDULE:

Monday, June 12th 11:00am CT vs The Czech Republic
Saturday, June 17th 2:00pm CT vs Italy
Thursday, June 22nd 9:00am CT vs Ghana

Other Dates TBD

No Mo Moss
05-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Too bad that it sounds like the American team isn't worth crap this time around. I read that Reyna's already injured.

So, who in the heck do I root for? Aw, hell, it doesn't matter. It'll be fun to watch either way.

tyler

The US has been very impressive at times, reaching #4 ranking on FIFA's world top ten only four months ago. Tuesday was the first time they had all their starters from European leagues on the team since they beat Poland in Germany in a friendly a few months ago. Reyna strained his Hammy, but will play in the world cup. They have two remaining games left on their tune-up. They picked some pretty good teams to play though.

Tuesday they dominated the game against Morrocco, although they didn't play well. They lost due to a last minute counter attack. The problem with trying to tell how we stack up from these games is this...
Morrocco decided to commit 8 guys to defend, which is unheard of. Usually teams use 4 or maybe 5 at most. With that many people it is nearly impossible to break down. You should watch the remaining tune-up games.

Today Friday May 26, against Chavez' Venezuela at 6:00 CT on ESPN2.
Latvia vs. USA Sun., May. 28 at 6:00 pm CT ESPN2

No Mo Moss
05-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Reyna MRI negative, will miss Cup warmup
Associated Press

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/reyna.jpg
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A day after straining his right hamstring in a lackluster 1-0 loss to Morocco, U.S. captain Claudio Reyna said the injury was minor.

Reyna had an MRI exam Wednesday before the Americans left for Cleveland, where they play Venezuela on Friday night, and the scan showed no damage.

"Good news, definitely," he said. "I'm happy, more relieved today."

Reyna was injured about 11 minutes in Tuesday night when he tried to intercept a pass. Four years ago, he missed the opening 3-2 win over Portugal because of a strained right quadriceps, then returned for the final four games as the Americans advanced to the quarterfinals in their best showing since 1930.

The 32-year-old midfielder is among only seven players in this year's tournament appearing on a World Cup roster for the fourth time. In 1994, he missed the entire tournament because of a right hamstring injury.

Because of the injury, he won't play Friday, when the Americans play Venezuela at Cleveland, or Sunday against Latvia at East Hartford, Conn., in their last game before their World Cup opener against the Czech Republic on June 12.

"There's no alarm bells going off that he's going to be out for a long time," U.S. assistant coach Glenn Myernick said.

Reyna was limited to 23 of 44 games last season with Manchester City in England's Premier League. He injured his right knee and ankle Oct. 22, returned Dec. 4 and played four games, then found out he had been playing on a broken ankle and had surgery. In his third game after coming back, he dislocated his right shoulder March 18 against Wigan. He returned again April 8 and started the final six games of the season.

After he left, the fifth-ranked Americans looked shaky against the No. 36 Atlas Lions, and they lost a home game for the first time since last May 28 against England. Morroco got a 90th-minute goal on a counterattack by Mohamed Madihi after defender Steve Cherundolo lost the ball to Bouchaib El Moubarki.

"I took a bad touch and pretty much gave it to them," Cherundolo said.

While the Americans outshot Morocco 13-5, they generated only a few good scoring chances. The best opportunity came in the 82nd minute, when Landon Donovan's 25-yard shot was parried by goalkeeper Tarek El Jarmouni. With an open net, Eddie Johnson got little on the ball as he shanked the rebound. Bobby Convey then hit the side of the net on a 25-yard free kick in second-half injury time.

"We weren't sharp. I think we're a little bit leg-weary. We're a little bit overtrained at this point," U.S. coach Bruce Arena said. "We didn't do a good job creating chances. Our last pass was poor. Our crossing was poor."

His focus is the second-ranked Czech Republic.

"Nobody had a feel for the game," midfielder DaMarcus Beasley said. "It was kind of sloppy. Whoever made a mistake wasn't going to win the game, and we made it."

A crowd of 26,141, many waving red, white and blue, came to The Coliseum, the largest attendance for a soccer game in Tennessee.

Cherundolo played right back in the first half and pushed up to midfield in the second as the United States switched from four midfielders to five. Brian McBride and Josh Wolff started up front, with Donovan behind them as an attacking midfielder.

Cory Gibbs started at left back in place of likely World Cup starter Eddie Lewis, who rejoined the team after playing Sunday for Leeds United in its playoff loss to Watford at Cardiff, Wales.

Midfielder John O'Brien, coming off a string of injuries, had several effective passes in the first half, then was replaced by Bobby Convey. Beasley had a good two-way game on the left wing, and Cherundolo made a number of penetrating runs.

"It's a nice wakeup call," Donovan said. "We only have two more games to get ready."

HarveyWallbangers
05-26-2006, 03:06 PM

tyler

The American team isn't bad at all. It will be tough to get out of a group with Italy (always though), Czech Republic (one of the more talented European teams), and Ghana (an upstart African team)--but that doesn't mean the team sucks. The European teams will be tough with a tournament in Europe, and that's tough luck getting two in the draw. Heck, the team is better than the one put out there in 2002, but we had a much easier draw in 2002. This team finished ahead of Mexico in qualifying for the first time in a long time. We should have gotten the seed Mexico did. We were ranked higher in the FIFA rankings, we beat them in qualifying, we have owned them in recent years (except for a couple of games at attitude in Mexico), and we beat them in the Round of 16 in the last World Cup. Somehow, they got a higher seed and a cupcake group. The U.S. team has benefitted from the improved MLS and more players playing in Europe. We aren't a joke anymore, and it wouldn't surprise me if we got out of group play--although we'll need at least a draw in the first game vs. a tough Czech team.

No Mo Moss
05-26-2006, 03:30 PM
I completely agree with you about mexico. They end up in a group with Angola, Iran and Portugal. Portugal is very good, but neither of the other two should provide much resistance. Of course that's how these things always work until its Iran and Porto moving on, anyway... that should have been us.

If we get out of our group, then there is no doubt the US can compete with anyone.
Just one other tidbit. If the US sneaks out of this group in the number 2 spot, they'll likely play Brazil in the round of 16. Ouch. They need to finish first in this group if they have any chance of advancing to the round of 8.

I have to disagree with you Harv on the last group draw in 2002. That was considered the second hardest draw in the cup, some even refered to it as the group of death. Portugal was the favorite going in. Poland was very highly ranked. Host countries are always difficult. It was a very hard Group and they just barely got out. Poland played very well, beating us 3-1, but we sneaked in ahead of them.

HarveyWallbangers
05-26-2006, 03:53 PM
I have to disagree with you Harv on the last group draw in 2002. That was considered the second hardest draw in the cup, some even refered to it as the group of death. Portugal was the favorite going in. Poland was very highly ranked. Host countries are always difficult. It was a very hard Group and they just barely got out.

It looked that way at the time. I forgot about playing the host country. Let's put it this way, it sure looks like Poland and Portugal were overrated heading into that. The fact that South Korea was also in the draw ended up making it pretty formidable. I'd say that we got somewhat lucky in that it only took 4 points to make it out of the draw. With Ghana in the draw and no clear favorite it might take 2 wins to get out of the draw this time. I could see the USA tying the Czech Republic or Italy, but I could see the group winner finishing with 2 w, 1 d for the winner (e.g. say we beat the Czechs, they could beat Italy) and the second place team finishing with 2 w, 1 l (e.g. the Italians very could beat us and Ghana). 1 w, 1 d might not do it this time.

No Mo Moss
05-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Well anyone can beat anyone. I'll tell you one thing Harv, Ghana is going to get a win. Its unfortunate that their best player is hurt or they might have done more. Italy is a notoriously bad starter and I suspect they fall to Ghana in the opening match. I believe you will need 5 points to get 2nd in the group. We need to come out strong and beat or draw the Czechs. If we can win that first game then things get easier. Win or loss to Italy and Win against Ghana gets us in. Pavel Nedved came out of retirement because his Czech team was so good and has a real shot at Brazil. I don't know if you've watched him play for Juventus or not but he needs very little space for his world class shots. We must score early.

You should watch the game tonight, it should tell us a lot about the team. Corey Gibbs went down today and is out of the World Cup. Enter BErhalter and Lewis to fill the spot.

No Mo Moss
05-26-2006, 04:58 PM
GROUP BREAKDOWN

CZECH REPUBLIC
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/czech-re.gif

The birth of the Republic at the FIFA World Cupâ„¢

After two 1-0 play-off wins over Norway, Karel Bruckner’s team have booked their place at Germany 2006 - the first time that this relatively new country will be taking part in the biggest sporting event on the planet.
As was the case in previous campaigns, the Czech Republic did not have things entirely their own way. In European qualifying Group 1, their haul of 27 points was good only for second place behind The Netherlands, and put them a mere two points ahead of Romania, on 25. Another play-off lay-in wait for the Czechs if they were to secure their FIFA World Cupâ„¢ berth.

This awakened unhappy memories of 2001, when a strong Czech squad ended up watching the 2002 FIFA World Cup Korea/Japan™ from the comfort of their own armchairs after losing under similar circumstances to Belgium. This time, however, it was a different story. Bruckner’s men set about their task with steely determination and outplayed the Norwegians both home and away. No wonder the coach was proud enough to describe it as his “finest hour as a manager.”

This Czechs’ qualification was merely the continuation of their success at the UEFA Euro 2004 in Portugal. Despite losing in the semi-finals to eventual winners Greece, the Czech Republic produced what was widely accepted as being the most flowing, attractive football of the tournament. They were the only team not to drop a point in the group stages, coming from behind to win against both Germany and The Netherlands. The emergence of Bruckner’s men was one of the definite highlights of the tournament.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/_38373355_kohler150.jpgJan Kohler (right)
They will be hoping to make a similar impact at the 2006 FIFA World Cup. Their refreshing brand of attacking football saw them finish top scorers of the European qualifying phase, with Jan Koller second highest scorer overall on nine goals (two behind Portuguese striker Pauleta). The towering centre forward unfortunately went on to suffer a serious knee injury, but is hoping to be fit again in time for the festivities in Summer 2006. There, he will be looking to play alongside Pavel Nedved, after the Juventus star came out of retirement for the play-off games against Norway and put in two dominating performances in midfield. Hopefully he too will dust off his passport for Germany.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/nedved--310x210.jpgPavel Nedved
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/17Milan-Baros.jpg
Milan Baros
Alongside old warhorses such as Koller, Nedved and Karel Poborsky, a new generation of top-class players has been evolving. Milan Baros, Tomas Rosicky and goalkeeping star Petr Cech all added fine performances in the FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign to a successful showing in Portugal, surpassing the already high expectations in them.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/_40400997_cech300_getty.jpg
Petr Cech

With this fine blend of youth and experience, the Czech Republic must aim high for their first FIFA World Cup participation. Repeating, if not surpassing, the success of their Euro 2004 run to the semi-finals is no doubt be their aim.

No Mo Moss
05-26-2006, 05:18 PM
GROUP BREAKDOWN:

ITALY
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/italian_flag.gif

Azzurri plotting fourth world crown
With three FIFA World Cupsâ„¢ to their name, Italy are rightly held up as one of the great football nations. Their first triumph was way back in 1934 at the second ever global showcase, held on Italian soil. Four years later in France, they became the first team to successfully defend their crown and their third title was secured in 1982 in Spain.

Germany 2006 will mark Italy's 16th appearance at a FIFA World Cup finals, making Sweden 1958 the only finals they did not grace with their presence. Following their successes in 1934 and 1938, Italy lifted the FIFA World Cup for the third time at Spain 1982 thanks largely to an outstanding performance by striker Paolo Rossi. After a subdued start to the tournament, Rossi burst into life in the knockout stages, scoring a hat-trick against Brazil to put his side through to the semi-final, where he struck twice more against Poland. Brimming with confidence, the Italians then went on to beat West Germany 3-1 in the final, with Rossi scoring a sixth tournament goal to clinch the Golden Shoe as top scorer.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/1997maldinicannavaro.jpg
Maldini (left)
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/nesta.jpg
Nesta, if I could be anyone else in the world...Ahhhhh
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/20050621dasdaiftb_22_I_SCO.jpg
Nesta's girlfriend

Italy's strong national league, boasting world-famous sides such as AC Milan, Juventus and Inter Milan, has traditionally provided the platform for a competitive Italy team. Over the years, Serie A has produced true legends of the game such as Roberto Baggio, Paolo Maldini, Franco Baresi, Gianni Rivera and the unforgettable Dino Zoff who played in the victorious 1982 side at the age of 40.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/delpiero.jpg
Del Piero

However, life has not always been a bed of roses for the Italians, who have suffered their fair share of disappointments, including an abrupt exit from the 2002 FIFA World Cup Korea/Japanâ„¢. After battling their way through to the Round of 16, the Azzurri succumbed to hosts Korea Republic. Italy led for most of the match but conceded a late equaliser and the South Koreans secured victory with an extra-time golden goal.

In the wake of this crushing blow, Giovanni Trapattoni replaced Dino Zoff and led Italy through qualifying for UEFA EURO 2004. One defeat and just four goals conceded in eight matches marked a return to the traditional Italian virtue of resolute defending but more disappointment awaited the Azzuri in the finals in Portugal where they failed to progress beyond the group stage despite not losing a match. Having drawn against Denmark (0-0) and Sweden (1-1) in their opening two games, a 2-1 victory over Bulgaria saw them finish only third in the group behind the two Scandinavian sides.

Trapattoni then made way for former Juventus coach Marcello Lippi who immediately adopted the mantra "No-one is guaranteed a place" – something Alessandro Del Piero and Christian Vieri soon found to their cost. A new generation emerged, all eager to seize their opportunity. Between summer 2004 and autumn 2005, Lippi gave debuts to nine players - Cristian Zaccardo, Andrea Barzagli, Giorgio Chiellini, Daniele De Rossi, Manuele Blasi, Mauro Esposito, Luca Toni, Alberto Gilardino and Vincenzo Iaquinta – and together they accounted for eight of the 15 goals scored by Italy on the road to Germany.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/j000007.jpg
Buffon
These youngsters now form the spine of the new-look Azzurri with Zaccardo operating in defence, De Rossi playing as a holding midfielder, and Toni and Gilardino forming a potent partnership in attack and netting six goals between them in qualifying. Toni can even be seen on the home page of the Italian Football Federation's website alongside established players such as Alessandro Nesta, Francesco Totti, Gianluca Zambrotta, Fabio Cannavaro, Gianluigi Buffon and il mister Lippi.

GoPackGo
05-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Soccer fans check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kYBpdgHZ_o&search=ronaldinho

No Mo Moss
05-26-2006, 05:32 PM
GROUP BREAKDOWN:

GHANA
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/visiting-Ghana-flag.gif
Black Stars shine at last

Ghana's historic journey to their first FIFA World Cupâ„¢ finals began with a comfortable qualifying victory over Somalia, a 7-0 aggregate success that sent the Black Stars into the group stage.
There they were drawn with 2010 FIFA World Cup hosts South Africa in Group 2 and after opening their campaign with a 1-0 defeat in Burkina Faso, they signalled their intent by beating South Africa 3-0 in Kumasi on 20 June 2004, a famous victory secured by goals from Sulley Ali Muntari and captain Stephen Appiah (2).

They topped the group for the first time in September 2004 after beating Cape Verde Islands 2-0, again in Kumasi – now considered their lucky ground – but their momentum faltered following the sudden departure of coach Mariano Barreto, who quit to take over at Portuguese club Maritimo.

Sam Arday held the reins for a short time before the Serbian Ratomir Dujkovic took charge in late 2004. His reign began with a draw against Congo DR but after scraping a 2-1 home win against Burkina Faso on 5 June 2005, the Black Stars were back on track. A memorable 2-0 success in South Africa a fortnight later restored them to the top of the group. A place in Germany was now within reach and they held their nerve to beat Uganda before stamping their ticket in style with a 4-0 victory over Cape Verde in Praia.

For Ghana, a place on world football’s greatest stage is long overdue. They have won four CAF African Cup of Nations titles – in 1963, 1965, 1978 and 1982 - and twice captured the FIFA Under-17 World Championship. Moreover, they have produced some of Africa’s most talented footballers down the years - men like Osei Koffi, Abdulrazak Karim, Ben Acheampong, Afriye and George Al Hassan, in addition to 1990s stars Abedi Pele and Anthony Yeboah.

Ironically, their success comes at a time when they do not have as many big names but instead a youthful team with a disciplined approach fostered by coach Dujkovic, who offered an early statement of his no-nonsense approach by excluding former captain Samuel Kuffour from the squad.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/ghana_essien.jpg
Michael Essien
The shining lights in this Black Stars team are captain Appiah and Chelsea man Michael Essien – the most expensive player in the history of African football – who together with Udinese's skilful Muntari, give Ghana a formidable-looking midfield.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/Sulley-Muntari_adamdavy.jpg
Muntari

Up front, Asamoah Gyan and Dutch-based Matthew Amoah, back after almost two years in the international wilderness, ensure their team-mates’ efforts are rewarded with goals.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/amoah_dpa_300.jpg
Mathew Amoah

hurleyfan
05-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Wait a second, isn't soccer made for American Kids who had "moms" that said "you can't play football, it's too tough and dangerous a sport", go try out for the soccer team?

I for one am one of those guys, I was 5 foot nothing in high school, played JV football until 10th grade then Soccer came to my H.S. Was "persuaded" to play soccer as I was so much smaller than all the other kids, and in the first game of the season, was tackled and blew out the ACL in left leg! Glad it was a safer sport!

Big league soccer is a phenomenal sport, and one has to admire the people that play it!

Go U.S.A!!

Harlan Huckleby
05-26-2006, 09:44 PM
I don't know about safety, but soccer is a much better sport for kids in many ways. Better conditioning. Everybody touches the ball.

No Mo Moss
05-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Ching, Dempsey help U.S. shut down Venezuela
May 26, 2006
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/soc_a_usa_412.jpg
CLEVELAND -- Bobby Convey and Clint Dempsey improved their chances of starting for the United States at the World Cup with sharp performances in a 2-0 win over Venezuela on Friday night.

Brian Ching scored in the 36th minute and Dempsey added a goal in the 69th as the Americans rebounded from Tuesday's dismal 1-0 loss to Morocco in Nashville, Tenn. Convey made the cross that created the first goal, and he was praised for his energy and defense by U.S. coach Bruce Arena.

"I think I'm making Bruce sweat a little bit," Convey said. "I'm happy about that."

The fifth-ranked Americans, who were given plenty of space as No. 71 Venezuela attacked, changed nine of 11 starters, keeping only defender Oguchi Onyewu and attacker Josh Wolff. They have just one game remaining before the World Cup: On Sunday night against Latvia in East Hartford, Conn.

Convey and Dempsey are competing for a starting midfield spot, likely on the right side, when the United States opens the World Cup against the Czech Republic on June 12.

"What we want to see out of Bobby is that kind of play for 90 minutes. He lost his concentration a little bit in the second half," Arena said. "I'm hopeful we can continue to move him forward because there's no reason to believe that Bobby can't challenge to get into our first 11."

Ching, who beat out Taylor Twellman for the World Cup roster, put the United States ahead with his fourth goal in 19 international appearances. Convey took the ball down the left side and crossed around Hector Gonzalez. Ching, at the top of the six-yard box, got a toe on it and beat goalkeeper Javier Toyo.

"Bobby crosses a great ball," Ching said. "When he gets the ball wide, I just look to make good runs in the box."

Ching nearly got another in the 54th, off a sharp cross from Chris Albright, but Toyo dove left to punch the ball away. U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard then made a leaping save in the 64th to push Juan Arrango's shot over the crossbar.

Landon Donovan, who entered with DaMarcus Beasley midway through the second half, started the play that led to the second goal, pushing a through ball ahead to Eddie Johnson.

Johnson ran the ball down just before it reached the goal line and bent it back to the onrushing Dempsey, who sent the ball in with a diving header from the top of the six-yard box for his fifth international goal.

"I don't think anything is guaranteed at this point, so you've got to do whatever you can to hopefully try to see minutes over in Europe," said Dempsey, who has been slowed by a sore back.

Although Arena said Dempsey needs to improve his defense, the coach sounded impressed.

"He's a guy that is, in his own way, creative, and he takes chances," he said. "He's got to be a little bit more experienced and understand when to pick his spots on the field in terms of going after people in one v. one situations. But he's a confident player on the ball. He has had a habit of scoring goals, which is a real positive out of the midfield."

Dempsey followed his goal with an extended dance, waving his arms in a hula motion.

"It's just a dance we saw on video and me just messing around," he said.

Arena's choices this week were cramped by the schedule of three games in six days.

"I'm not sure there are any benefits for the players. I think for marketing purposes there are benefits because you're playing weekend games," he said. "The games are more attractive for television on Friday and Sunday, and for marketplaces. Obviously, if we could avoid doing this, we would do that.'

With 2½ weeks left before the opener, he's still unsure about his starting lineup against the Czechs.

"It's still going to be based on players being in the right form," he said. "I think there's a chance that we'll make a few decisions for our first 11 in the first game that will probably surprise some people."

Notes
Oft-injured midfielder John O'Brien, who played the first half against Morocco, had an MRI on his right Achilles' tendon that was negative and is day-to-day. ... Earlier in the day, the U.S. team watched a telecast of the Czech Republic's 2-0 win over Saudi Arabia. ... A crowd of 29,745 came to Cleveland Browns Stadium for the national team's first game in Cleveland since a 1994 World Cup warmup. ... Michael Bradley, the son of Chivas USA coach Bob Bradley, made his national team debut in the 89th minute. ... The Americans finished a man short after Carlos Bocanegra was ejected in the 82nd for getting his second yellow card.

Tarlam!
05-27-2006, 03:20 AM
The USA needs a win and two draws to go through. Ghana is your wild card. Traditionally, at least one African country plays its lights out, you just should hope it's not Ghana!

Italy played against Germany in a frindly 3-4 months ago, and I was overwhelmed at their game. These guys are so good. Scary good. It's a shame you don't play them last, because if they had two wins going into your matchup, they would rest their stars.

They will be looking to win two, the draw their last game.

I think you guys are good for at least a draw against the Czeks. They are a great team, but they struggle against non-Europeans. Key to this team is their blonde Midfielder, Nedved. You need to double team him the whole game.

If you lock up the middle of the field, don't allow your backs to drop back too far, you can beat Nedved. Rosicky, plays slightl behind the front 2 is a dangerous little guy, and Koller, big forward, is also great in the air. Don't allow him to dominate the penalty area by keeping the flanks covered.

MJZiggy
05-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Could someone please explain offsides rules in international soccer? I only watch the major matches, but don't understand how one can be offsides. Also, more pictures, please. Soccer players have the best physiques of any sport I've seen.

Tarlam!
05-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Could someone please explain offsides rules in international soccer?

No. It is impossible for women the world over to get this, because men the world over cannot explain it.

But, I am a glutton, so I'll try.

1. You can never be offside in your own half of the playing field.

2. When in the opponents half of the playing field, there must always be an opponent's field player between you and the opponents goal line. If not, you are in an off-side position, although unless you receive the ball, you are considered to be in passive off-side (no penalty).

3. If you receive the ball in an off-side position, you will be called off-side. You just became active. That's a foul.

4. The key is, where you were positioned at the time the pass was actually made. You might have been on-side when the ball was played and ran into an otherwise off-side position. In this case, you are not off-side.

MJZiggy
05-27-2006, 09:15 AM
So if you have the ball you cannot be offsides?

Tarlam!
05-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Also, more pictures, please. Soccer players have the best physiques of any sport I've seen.

Glad to oblige...

http://www.funny-games.biz/pictures/sexy/sexy-football-players.jpg

MJZiggy
05-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Mama always told me to be careful what I wish for... :roll:

Badgepack
05-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Could someone please explain offsides rules in international soccer?

No. It is impossible for women the world over to get this, because men the world over cannot explain it.

But, I am a glutton, so I'll try.

1. You can never be offside in your own half of the playing field.

2. When in the opponents half of the playing field, there must always be an opponent's field player between you and the opponents goal line. If not, you are in an off-side position, although unless you receive the ball, you are considered to be in passive off-side (no penalty).

3. If you receive the ball in an off-side position, you will be called off-side. You just became active. That's a foul.

4. The key is, where you were positioned at the time the pass was actually made. You might have been on-side when the ball was played and ran into an otherwise off-side position. In this case, you are not off-side.

I assume it is like being off-sides in ice hockety, correct?

No Mo Moss
05-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Yes it's like Hockey except the blue line would be represented by the last defender between the goal.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/_40047487_offside_intro298.jpg

That imaginary line moves with that last defender as he does. The the instant the ball leaves the foot of the passer, the recipient must be even or behind that last defender. In the case of a longer aerial pass that same instant the offensive player passes the ball, his team mate may sprint out beyond the last defender.

The common defensive tactic is to push up at the very last moment causing the oposition to be off sides. The defense must all do it at the exact same time or a player will find himself onside running free. The technique is used at the very last moment, the entire defense will spint towards the midline of the field.

There is one ref who runs the field and calls most of the fouls and issues cards. Then there is a linesman on each side of the field who's job is to primarily call offsides and throw-ins.
The officials make mistakes sometimes, but its really quite remarkable how accurate they can be.

Here's an example of a play that is not offsides:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/_40047999_s4_football_finale.gif

Here is a clear example of an offsides player (white on offense)
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/_39850729_offside1_298.gif

Zigs, are you getting it?

No Mo Moss
05-27-2006, 12:13 PM
The USA needs a win and two draws to go through. Ghana is your wild card. Traditionally, at least one African country plays its lights out, you just should hope it's not Ghana!

Italy played against Germany in a frindly 3-4 months ago, and I was overwhelmed at their game. These guys are so good. Scary good. It's a shame you don't play them last, because if they had two wins going into your matchup, they would rest their stars.

They will be looking to win two, the draw their last game.

I think you guys are good for at least a draw against the Czeks. They are a great team, but they struggle against non-Europeans. Key to this team is their blonde Midfielder, Nedved. You need to double team him the whole game.

If you lock up the middle of the field, don't allow your backs to drop back too far, you can beat Nedved. Rosicky, plays slightl behind the front 2 is a dangerous little guy, and Koller, big forward, is also great in the air. Don't allow him to dominate the penalty area by keeping the flanks covered.

No doubt italy is very good, but historically they get out of the gate rather slow, Isaid this before, but I can see ghana stealing one from the Italians in the first game.

Baros is the one that has me worried. He's in form right now. The US finally has to huge defenders in the middle, perhaps one of the biggest in the world at 6'4" 220. But Baros might be that third weapon taht is very hard to cover. That said I think the US has as good a chance as any in that group.

Tarlam!
05-27-2006, 12:17 PM
No Mo, I would ordinarily agree with that assessment of Italy 100%. This team is different. I watched them attack the Germans in a friendly game. They were unbelievable.

Usually, Italy plays very lazy, defensive Soccer. Not this squad. They attack for 90 minutes. In the past, they might have been happy to sit on a 1-0 lead for 80 minutes. This squad ripped the Germans 5-1. It was scary.

MJZiggy
05-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Got it!!! Thanks for the explanations guys it will make watching the World Cup that much easier. Last time I watched it was at a family event and I will really miss the whole function coming to a stop every time something interesting happened in the match.

No Mo Moss
05-27-2006, 04:21 PM
No Mo, I would ordinarily agree with that assessment of Italy 100%. This team is different. I watched them attack the Germans in a friendly game. They were unbelievable.

Usually, Italy plays very lazy, defensive Soccer. Not this squad. They attack for 90 minutes. In the past, they might have been happy to sit on a 1-0 lead for 80 minutes. This squad ripped the Germans 5-1. It was scary.

I agree to an extent that they appear to be a different team as in the past, but I can't put too much stock into friendly matches. That same German team, at full strength, struggled mightily against the USA back-ups at home in GErmany 2 weeks later. It wasn't until the US subbed out many of their back-up D lines for younger players in the second half that Germany was able to really break through. They weren't playing very good soccer yet. Its all about who gels when. Thats why I like the USA. They don't have any superstars and must rely on teamwork to get it done.

Tarlam!
05-28-2006, 02:24 AM
I see your logic. I know tournaments are won and lost by timing. I know the USA vs Germany game said a lot about how poorly the Germans are. I agree.

That does not take away the change in stratgy that Italy has undergone; far more concerning is that Italy now have a squad that can execute attacking Soccer. It's one thing to draw the battle plans (like Kilinnsman), but it's another thing to get it done on the field.

I think the USA can take Ghana and Czek, but, I think you will need incredibley disciplined play, really clog up the mid-field to rest a point from Italy. Their indiviual skill levels is the best I've seen in 3 decades of watching this game.

No Mo Moss
05-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Will beating Czech and Ghana be enough though? I agree with you about the attack Italy has put together. It has been impressive, but then again I think they know how impressive it is. I'm counting on Michael Essien and Co. to get some early goals in the opener against them and hopefully hang on to win.

The pressure is on Italy and the Czechs to get out of the group. The US has pressure, but its not liek they will be seen as a less successful team if they can't get out of this very difficult group. I want to see the US play its final tune-up today and see how their finishing looks. They put themselves i ngreat positions, but don't finish as well as they should. They're going to need to come WC 2006 in under 2 weeks.

No Mo Moss
05-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Updated: May 28, 2006, 7:00 AM ET
McBride header seals win for the U.S.
Associated Press

EAST HARTFORD, Conn. -- Brian McBride scored, DaMarcus Beasley shifted across the field to the right side and Eddie Johnson looked a lot better.
U.S. World Cup schedule
• Monday, June 12 -- vs. Czech Republic at Gelsenkirchen, Germany, noon (ESPN2)
• Saturday, June 17 -- vs. Italy at Kaiserslautern, Germany, 3 p.m. (ABC)
• Thursday, June 22 -- vs. Ghana at Nuremberg, Germany, 10 a.m. (ESPN)
With a 1-0 victory over Latvia on Sunday night behind McBride's 43rd-minute goal, the United States completed a grueling series of three World Cup warmup games in six days.
"All the talking is done. We'll have to step on the field June 12 and show what we're about," U.S. coach Bruce Arena said.
Following a 1-0 loss to Morocco and a 2-0 victory over Venezuela, the Americans looked sharper and dominated possession until tiring midway through the second half.
American players will be given three days off to return home before the team leaves for Germany on Thursday. They have a closed scrimmage against Angola on June 5 in Hamburg, then meet the Czech Republic in their World Cup opener on June 12 in Gelsenkirchen.
"I think the loss against Morocco was a good wakeup call," said U.S. goalkeeper Kasey Keller, who got his 45th shutout in 93 international games.
Ranked 70th in the world, Latvia failed to qualify for the World Cup after making it to the 2004 European Championship. Keller was rarely tested until a diving stop of Girts Karlsons' header in the 89th minute.
"What we did now isn't that big a deal," Keller said. "I don't want guys thinking, 'All right. We beat Latvia 1-nil, so now we're going to roll over the Czech Republic.' That doesn't quite equate."
Coming off a quarterfinal finish at the 2002 tournament, the United States is in a difficult group with the Czechs, Italy and Ghana. Trying to test players, Arena changed nine starters for the second straight game.
In a possible signal of what he might do in the World Cup opener, he moved Beasley to right midfield from left, and inserted John O'Brien on the left side.
"I'm probably the only left-footed guy that will play the right because I played there all year at PSV. I feel comfortable out there," Beasley said, referring to PSV Eindhoven, his club in the Netherlands.
O'Brien, coming off a lengthy string of injuries, played well until he was replaced by Bobby Convey in the 66th minute.
"He still has a way to go," Arena said. "He's probably not going to be ready to position himself to play 90 minutes on June 12, but we're getting to see the old John again. His match fitness isn't where it needs to be, but physically he appears to be fine."
Landon Donovan was positioned at the top of the midfield diamond behind McBride and Johnson.
Johnson scored seven goals in seven World Cup qualifiers but missed much of last year with a toe injury. He has struggled to regain his sharpness and failed to convert several opportunities against the Latvians, just missing or getting called offsides.
"We've had a tough time with him over the last five months, and I think he's starting to break out of it now," Arena said. "Although he didn't get a goal tonight, I thought he had some real good moments."
McBride could be paired up front with Josh Wolff against the Czechs or Arena could go with Johnson, who had four of the 16 American shots against Latvia.
"I was doing things that I did back when I was scoring goals," Johnson said. "I was getting in behind the defenders, getting dangerous in the box, getting in crosses, making those runs in the back, holding the ball up, bringing other players into the game."
Only the U.S. defense seems set, with Eddie Lewis at left back, Eddie Pope and Oguchi Onyewu in the middle and Steve Cherundolo at right back. Captain Claudio Reyna, who plans to resume training in a few days after a right hamstring strain heals, is likely to be in defensive midfield.
McBride scored from 6 yards off a cross from Cherundolo, sending the ball off the fingertips of leaping goalkeeper Aleksandrs Kolinko and into the net at the far post. With his 30th goal in 92 international appearances -- his first since connecting in a 1-0 qualifying win against Trinidad and Tobago at East Hartford last Aug. 17 -- McBride moved within four goals of Eric Wynalda, the American career scoring leader.
McBride was playing with a large welt on the left side of his forehead, incurred when Genadjis Soloncins butted heads with him in the 18th minute.
"For McBride, that's nothing," Arena said. "He's had a lot worse."
Game Notes
MFs Reyna (strained right hamstring) and Clint Dempsey (sore back) didn't dress, and D Carlos Bocanegra was suspended following his ejection against Venezuela. ... The U.S. team wore special edition red "Don't Tread on Me" jerseys with a 1950s-era crest.

Tarlam!
05-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Will beating Czech and Ghana be enough though?

It should be.

It depends on Italy's 3rd game against Czek.

You need to beat Czek in game 1 higher than Italy beats you.

Now, assume Czek beats Ghana.

Assuming you play Ghana with a win and a loss, Italy will be playing with 2 wins.

That way, you head into Game 3 with a with a chance to win the group if you beat Ghana higher than Italy. Czek is in the same boat if they beat Ghana high.

That will force Italy to play some stars in order to win the group. They will need at least a draw. Since they know tournament football, they will want Czek out by the 1st round, they will do you that favour. But, you must beat both Czek and Ghana to safely go through.

Regarding Italy's attack. I think you misunderstood me. They play attacking football, which means their outside backs double as their outside forwards.

They play so far forward, they don't want you in their half. That's the problem. They no longer fall back and defend in the 4-chain.

Tarlam!
05-29-2006, 01:40 AM
How do you like Australia's chances?

Group F

Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

b bulldog
05-29-2006, 12:00 PM
What a waste of time

Tarlam!
05-29-2006, 12:19 PM
What a waste of time

Well, gee thanks, Bulldog. That certainly made this thread all the more worthwhile. Thank God you dropped that on us, otherwise we could have felt it was a COMPLETE waste of time.

HarveyWallbangers
05-29-2006, 07:46 PM
I thought the US came back and played outstanding ball against Venezuela and the first 60-70 minutes against Latvia. I know Latvia isn't that good, but they played well enough to have a 2-0 or 3-0 lead going into half in that game. They ran out of gas in that game. Reyna is key for the USA. He HAS to stay healthy. He controls the ball in the midfield so well. HUGE dropoff from Reyna to Mastreoni. Here's a quick take on the USA:

1) We've had outstanding goaltending for about 10 years. Keller is one of the best in the world. Friedel was one of the best before him. Howard has a ton of potential. He was outstanding for Man U. two years ago before really falling off in the last year and a half.
2) Brian McBride is our most consistent performer.
3) Right now, like him or not, Landon Donovan is our best player.
4) Claudio Reyna is our most important player. Unfortunately, he's a bit brittle.
5) Eddie Johnson has, by far, the best potential on the team. I could see him being our superstar in the 2010 World Cup.

No Mo Moss
05-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Tarlam, similar to Italy, the US attack will come from defenders. Steve Cherundolo plays in the bundesliga and has to ability to lay veru accurate crosses into the box coming up field from the back four position. He had the assist Sunday.

Harv, I agree with you. I don't know what's not to like about Donovan. If Eddie Johnson could finish he could be a monster, even in this world cup. Our defenders have impressed me. TO bad about Gibbs, but Pope and Oguchi give the US a formidable center D for the first time ever. I think Convey has won a starting spot over BEasley. I also think MAsrtoeni will remain in the starting 11, with Jon O'Brien being replaced with Reyna. I like what I've seen from Dempsey and Olsen as well, they'll be good in a sub role.

No Mo Moss
05-29-2006, 09:24 PM

Group F

Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

That's a tough group, but the only sure fire team that will advance is BRazil. Croatia is capable of playing at a very high level and is dangerous. Japan played well in 2002. If Viduka and Kewell both stay healthy I would think it will come right down to it between those three, tough to call. What do you think?

HarveyWallbangers
05-29-2006, 10:38 PM
TO bad about Gibbs, but Pope and Oguchi give the US a formidable center D for the first time ever. I think Convey has won a starting spot over BEasley. I also think MAsrtoeni will remain in the starting 11, with Jon O'Brien being replaced with Reyna. I like what I've seen from Dempsey and Olsen as well, they'll be good in a sub role.

I forgot to mention Oguchi. He is very underrated. We aren't very physical. We need a guy like him. I like Johnson because he's a bit more physical than the other speed demons we've had (like Jones, Beasley, and Hejduk). I'm not a big fan of Mastreoni. I'd much rather have Beasley in the lineup over Mastreoni. O'Brien is a great passer. Physically, I'm not sure he's ready to go 90 though.

HarveyWallbangers
05-29-2006, 10:40 PM

Group F

Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

I like their chances. I'm thisclose to picking them. Brazil is in. I think it's a tossup with the other three. I like the attitude of the Australians. I don't think they'll be afraid. I think they've been waiting for this, and have a lot to prove.

Tarlam!
05-30-2006, 12:16 AM
Well, I hope the Aussies go through. They certainly add richness! I can't make any predictions, I am a jinx!

No Mo Moss
05-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Well, I hope the Aussies go through. They certainly add richness! I can't make any predictions, I am a jinx!

The aussies weren't involved in WC 2002 were they? Maybe you made a prediction during qualifying?

No Mo Moss
06-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Updated: June 4, 2006
Czech concern over Baros foot problem

Czech Republic striker Milan Baros has joined the injury list for the world's second-ranked team.

The Aston Villa hitman had to be substituted in the first half of the last Czech friendly in Prague against Trinidad & Tobago after feeling a prickling sensation in his foot.
Team doctors have ordered the 24-year-old - who was top scorer in Euro 2004 - to rest for two days and he joins midfielders Tomas Rosicky and Tomas Galasek on the treatment table.
The Czechs will travel to Germany on Tuesday and their first World Cup match is scheduled on June 12 against USA in Gelsenkirchen.

Interesting. Kohler is hurt as well. USA vs Czech wil be an absolute barn burner.

Tarlam!
06-05-2006, 04:10 AM
Holland - Australia 1-1 in a friendly. Dare I hope?

No Mo Moss
06-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Did you watch the games? I just saw the highlights, but It looked like Viduka just about won it. Wasn't Australia plating a m an down as well for most of the game.

Deputy Nutz
06-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Outside the Lines had an interesting take on the racism that is plaguing the sport of soccer in Europe. How factual it is, I don't know, it was on ESPN.

Tarlam!
06-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Na, I missed it. I didn't even know it was on! But, I am up to my eyeballs in aligators....

Tarlam!
06-05-2006, 01:00 PM
This seems to be safe enough....

http://video.vividas.com/CDN1/4325_Pepsi/web/index.html

jack's smirking revenge
06-05-2006, 03:09 PM
I think this columnist is a Twin Cities guy. Talk about a f'in retard. Anyone care to write him and tell him how off the mark he is?

Maybe non-fans do know soccer
If the government really is serious about identifying illegal immigrants, it soon will be provided a unique opportunity to record their whereabouts.

All the Department of Homeland Security has to do is monitor the city-by-city television ratings of this month's World Cup soccer tournament. Agents should be dispatched to any area in which the ratings reflect an unnaturally high level of interest. That likely signals a concentrated pocket of illegals.

No one who actually is from here cares about the most over-hyped, mind-numbingly boring event in the world. Nevertheless, ABC and ESPN will combine to broadcast all 64 games live and in high definition starting on Friday. High definition means that over the course of a 90-minute contest, both scoring chances can be viewed with crystal clarity.

There's no word yet on whether any of the games will be presented "commercial free." The networks usually make a big deal out of doing that. It's their way of telling us how important the World Cup is. Remember, there were no commercial interruptions when man first walked on the moon.

It makes sense, too. After 20-minute stretches of televised World Cup nothingness, an action-packed commercial definitely would seem intrusive.

Thirty years after soccer was supposed to be the next thing here, ESPN and ABC will attempt to "educate" as well as entertain American viewers during the World Cup, according to an article in Sunday's paper. The arrogance is astounding. The networks still are subscribing to the tired old chestnut that Americans aren't interested in soccer because we don't understand it.

All that tactical beauty is somehow slipping past us. We aren't smart enough to understand the nuances involved in the most popular game in the world.

In fact, just the opposite is true. We don't like soccer because we do understand it. And it's awful.

It's time to quit apologizing and tell the truth. When it comes to soccer, we're right, and the rest of the world is wrong. If they want to dance in the streets of Cameroon or Belgium over this stuff, fine. But the sport does not suit American taste, and we should stop feeling guilty about it.

Look, Americans are an industrious people. We use our hands. We catch footballs. We throw baseballs. We hit golf balls and tennis balls by gripping a piece of equipment. It is unnatural for us to put our hands behind our backs and try to "pass" a soccer ball to a teammate by bouncing it off our heads. We aren't circus seals, and no one is going to toss us a fish if we do it right.

It also offends our sense of fair play to watch a lone referee try to police an area the size of Rhode Island and then get blamed for the outcome by whichever team loses. And regardless of how passionate we are about our sports teams, we draw the line at pipe bombs.

Many spectators in soccer-crazed countries warm up for a big match by hitting their neighbor in the head with a brick. And as soon as little Nigel or Fiona is old enough, mum and dad take them out back and practice squishing them against a chain link fence.

No matter which country wins, rest assured that thousands will die in worldwide rioting. I'm going to pick up the satellite feed of The Hooligan Network, direct from Europe. They show split screen: the soccer game on one half, fans clubbing each other on the other.

Yes, America may be the only country that doesn't go goofy for soccer. We also are the only remaining super power. Don't you see a connection there?

In fairness, soccer is a great activity for little kids. It allows them to run around outside before their motor skills are fully developed and they can move onto something else. It's not bad at the high school level, either, because individual abilities vary greatly at that age, and weird play often occurs as a result.

Beyond that, it's unbearable. As the World Cup rolls around again, I refuse to apologize for saying I'd rather have a colonoscopy than watch a minute of it. Soccer is the rest of the world's problem. Let's not even fake it anymore.

Who cares if the French or Chinese think we are uncivilized? What's the big deal if opponents from the Middle East shake hands after a match? Their countries will be at each other's throats again the next day, anyway.

Perhaps ABC and ESPN will garner decent ratings when the tournament begins. For at least one government agency, the demographics of that audience could prove very interesting.

Tom Powers can be reached

at tpowers@pioneerpress.com.

Tarlam!
06-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Well, I know a bunch of posters on here that might have written this...

jack's smirking revenge
06-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Sadly, I think you're right Tar... (even though it is actually Tom Powers, part of the Pioneer Press staff).

tyler

Tarlam!
06-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Tyler, I am so OK with people who don't get off on Soccer. These things I grew up with. Did you check out my link?? Funny!

Deputy Nutz
06-05-2006, 04:05 PM
I think the World Cup is awesome, unfortunately it is the only time that I will pay attention. Soccer in the united states is pretty pathetic. But watching the best in the world go at is enjoyable and I am glad that ABC and ESPN provide as much coverage as they do.

No Mo Moss
06-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Well atleast this A-hole took a different approach to dissing the game. Usually they just talk about how boring it is and blah blah blah. I think there are some people in the same camp as you Nutz. People in this country want to see the best of the best. The MLS in mildly entertaining. I'd rather watch it then MLB personally. But the camp that really pisses me off is the people that have never seen an entire game of world class soccer in their life, yet speak to the lameness of it like they know something. It seems that with each successful showing at the WC though this country is pulled closer to enjoying soccer as a whole. I doubt we'll ever have a dominate league, but I wouldn't be suprised if the Champions League went worldwide and the US had a pretty good team.

MJZiggy
06-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Amoeba soccer is helping a lot. What is amoeba soccer you ask? Watch 4-5 year old pee-wee once and you'll understand. There are more and more kids playing and the older they get, there will be more and more adults watching. I don't regularly watch, but don't appreciate some hack reporter from Minn. telling me what I like to watch and what I think of the game. (I am so down on the media this week). He doesn't speak for all Americans, thank you as I happen to be one and was watching when (who was it?) Hamm, perhaps? yanked her shirt off after they won. It was a great game.

HarveyWallbangers
06-05-2006, 10:25 PM
There are more and more kids playing and the older they get, there will be more and more adults watching.

I personally enjoy soccer--even the MLS a little bit when some big names like Johnson or Donovan are playing. However, we've been hearing this mantra about soccer for decades. Not sure if it will ever come true. I have my doubts whether it will ever become a major sport. I could see it becoming a legit secondary sport in the USA--like tennis and golf. Soccer in the USA really needs a legitimate superstar, and sadly I don't think Freddy Adu is that guy.

No Mo Moss
06-06-2006, 05:51 PM
I'll give Adu a fair shot yet. I mean he's only 16. He almost made WC team. I agree with you about the MLS. Americans want to see the best of the best. Every summer for 3 years some of the best teams have been coming here to play eachother in exhibition matches in US stadiums. I saw AC MIlan vs Juventus in the Italian Supercup as well as Manchester United vs Juventus both in Giants stadium a few years ago. Both games were sold out beyond belief. Soldier field last summer Man U played Bayern Munich to a sold out crowd, it was a lot of fun to be at as well. They call these Champions World Tours and the people that planned them are making ungodly money because of the success they have seen in the US, nearly selling out every location. This shows that fans like the sport, just want to be exposed to the best of the best.

I think with so many Americans in Europe those matches of Fulham (McBride, Bocanegra) Manchester City (Reyna) , Everton (T. Howard will start on loan from Man U.) and the newly promoted Reading (Hanneman, Convey) people will be drawn more into the leagues of the world as we follow our players. Eddie Johnson could be a star. A lot rides on this WC.

I think this WC will be a success for a few reasons.

1. There isn't shit to watch in the summer.
2. All of these Games will be televised in HD. I have a big HDTV and I've found myself watching some pretty crazy things simply because they were in HD. I think the Games will have that effect on others.
3.Decent hours. The last WC games were televised at 1:00am and 3:30 am. These games will be at 10:00am, :1:00pm and 2:00pm. That's very reasonable hours, especially for a Saturday. I think the US vs Italy game on Sat. June 17th at 1:30pm will get good ratings.

We'll see.

No Mo Moss
06-07-2006, 11:08 AM
THIS MIGHT COME IN HANDY

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/Picture1.png

red
06-08-2006, 06:15 PM
and it all starts in the morning

this is the first soccer i've watched since the last world cup, and i i can't wait

Germany v Costa Rica at 12 est

and

Poland v Ecuador at 3 est

MJZiggy
06-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Yay, and I'll have a slightly better clue what's going on thanks to you guys. Anyone care to explain what the positions are and what the cards are for?

HarveyWallbangers
06-08-2006, 07:55 PM
My picks:

ROUND OF 16
Germany vs. Sweden
England vs. Poland
Argentina vs. Mexico
Portugal vs. Netherlands
Italy (I hope it's the USA here) vs. Australia
Brazil vs. Czech Republic (this could result in a monumental upset; Czechs are talented)
France vs. Ukraine
Spain vs. Switzerland

QUARTERFINALS
Germany vs. Argentina
England vs. Netherlands
Italy vs. France
Brazil vs. Spain

SEMIFINALS
Argentina vs. Italy
Netherlands vs. Brazil

FINALS
Brazil over Italy

3RD PLACE
Netherlands over Argentina

Rastak
06-09-2006, 09:29 AM
and it all starts in the morning

this is the first soccer i've watched since the last world cup, and i i can't wait

Germany v Costa Rica at 12 est

and

Poland v Ecuador at 3 est

I've taken the day off and stocked the refrigerator with beer......bring on the football!!!!!!

Rastak
06-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Yay, and I'll have a slightly better clue what's going on thanks to you guys. Anyone care to explain what the positions are and what the cards are for?

Depends on your formation which positions are occupied....

Defenders....

Left and Right backs (cover wide left and right round the keeper)
Center back ( defenders in front of the keeper)
Wing backs ( Left and right defernders who play further up the pitch to join the attack although fullbacks can do this too)
Sweeper - plays center back cleaning up defensively in front of the keeper.

Midfielders ( as it implies, middle of the field left right and center)
Attacking Midfielders ( Play further up the pitch to attack)
Defensive Midfielder ( center midfielder who has some defensive skills and stays further back than a regular or attacking midfielder)

Forward/Striker (The lads up front, your attackers)

A yellow card is given when you commit a nasty foul like a dangerous tackle or handling the ball. A red card is given if you accumlate 2 yellow cards or commit a very bad foul like taking down the guy with the ball when your the last man, cussing out the ref or handballing in the box. When you are sent off with a red card you care out of the game and you can't be replaced so your team plays the rest of the game short one man,
You are also suspended for the next match by getting a red card or too many yellows during the tourney.

Hope that helps....

red
06-09-2006, 10:57 AM
did espn just say that its estimated that 1.5 billion people will be watching this game? WOW

1/4 of the world has just stopped what they were doing to watch a soccer match between germany and costa rica

can you imagine what it must feel like to know that many people are watching you play?

Rastak
06-09-2006, 10:59 AM
did espn just say that its estimated that 1.5 million people will be watching this game? WOW

1/4 of the world has just stopped what they were doing to watch a soccer match between germany and costa rica

can you imagine what it must feel like to know that many people are watching you play?

Billion.

Yea, amazing....lots of preasure....

Rastak
06-09-2006, 11:01 AM
did espn just say that its estimated that 1.5 million people will be watching this game? WOW

Billion.

Yea, amazing....lots of preasure....

COOL! Comcast has espn2 on high def! Looks great!

red
06-09-2006, 11:07 AM
great goal

Rastak
06-09-2006, 11:11 AM
great goal

outstanding strike.

Rastak
06-09-2006, 11:14 AM
great goal

outstanding strike.

Nice finish......that was VERY close to offside....

red
06-09-2006, 11:14 AM
that was very close to offsides

Rastak
06-09-2006, 11:18 AM
that was very close to offsides

nice through ball to Wanchop, he sure timed it well.. I recall him being a striker for Derby Country in England and watching him a few times....

red
06-09-2006, 11:19 AM
wow, this is really fast paced. hopefully the noobies to the sport don't get spoiled and think all the games are like this lol

Rastak
06-09-2006, 11:20 AM
wow, this is really fast paced. hopefully the noobies to the sport don't get spoiled and think all the games are like this lol

yup.....Germany should kill these guys in the end though......

red
06-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Costa Rica needs to push the damn ball, and stop dicking around with it at mid field until the give it away

Rastak
06-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Costa Rica needs to push the damn ball, and stop dicking around with it at mid field until the give it away

Yea, they haven't mounted any offense at all...they are over matched here.

Harlan Huckleby
06-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Those German guys look so much .... better. I mean, it's not even close. They pass the ball SO much better. They look stronger, those Costa Rican dudes got skinny legs.

Can't you tell I'm a soccor expert?

Rastak
06-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Damn, they missed that, I thought he might be offside and the replay shows it....I agree, they should cut the offside trap stuff.....

Rastak
06-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Those German guys look so much .... better. I mean, it's not even close. They pass the ball SO much better. They look stronger, those Costa Rican dudes got skinny legs.

Can't you tell I'm a soccor expert?

You might be guessing but you are pretty much spot on HH....LOL

Rastak
06-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Frings fucking buries it from 25.......

edit: 40....yikes!

red
06-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Frings fucking buries it from 25.......

edit: 40....yikes!

that was beautiful

that game was A LOT closer then it should have been

Harlan Huckleby
06-09-2006, 12:59 PM
It's great to see white guys pounding people of color!

Go Aryan race!

Anti-Polar Bear
06-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Just read a Washington Post article on the Cup. Prostitution is legal in Germany and the FIFA is afriad the Cup would create a economy boom for that illict profession.

Rastak
06-09-2006, 01:38 PM
It's great to see white guys pounding people of color!

Go Aryan race!

HH, let's kick racism out of football.......

Deputy Nutz
06-09-2006, 01:42 PM
The sport is having a bit of an issue with it.(rascism)

Rastak
06-09-2006, 01:52 PM
The sport is having a bit of an issue with it.(rascism)

Yup......happens everywhere it seems.....

Rastak
06-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Delgato should have put that away for Ecuador....2-nil would have been huge.

Rastak
06-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Ecuador has played a very nice game.

HarveyWallbangers
06-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Less than 3 hours away. I'm stoked.

Japan is up 1-0 on Australia in the 28th minute. I'm at work, so I can't watch the game. Hopefully, Australia bounces back.

red
06-12-2006, 09:53 AM
WOW

the aussies score 3 in the last 10 minutes to win 3-1. unreal

now thats how you start a day of soccer

HarveyWallbangers
06-12-2006, 10:03 AM
I have Tim Cahill starting on my Fantasy World Cup team. Nice!

red
06-12-2006, 11:06 AM
shit

Pack0514
06-12-2006, 11:10 AM
USA down 1-0 ....

Son of a bitch!

Pack0514
06-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Czech Rep 2 - USA 0

red
06-12-2006, 11:47 AM
talk about a piss poor first half

how a bout a little effort in the second guys?

Pack0514
06-12-2006, 11:52 AM
What did they have, like 1 shot on goal? Come On.

red
06-12-2006, 12:40 PM
this is the worst effort i've seen from any team so far in this cup

really makes you proud

Deputy Nutz
06-12-2006, 12:43 PM
The USA sucks at soccer.l Face it we weren't created to play this game. Game over, if anything we should only be allowed to host the world cup. We got no business playing in it.

Bossman641
06-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Absolutely pathetic. No serious chances at all.

The Czech Republic has like 10 offsides, at least they attempt to play through balls. The US just stands around passing the ball back and forth, no movement at all. They have nobody like Nedved who creates opportunities for other teammates. And because they are shorter they aren't able to win any balls in the air.

Partial
06-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Why are they playing so bad? Isn't this supposed to be the greatest US team ever fielded? Awful!

HarveyWallbangers
06-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Depressing!

Fosco33
06-12-2006, 05:27 PM
The USA sucks at soccer.l Face it we weren't created to play this game. Game over, if anything we should only be allowed to host the world cup. We got no business playing in it.

No way, Nutz. Since soccer is like the 4th/5th best option for American pro athletes (behind football, baseball, basketball - maybe even hockey), our real talent lies elsewhere. These others countries eat, sleep and dream 'football' from birth. Since the early 90's, soccer has become very popular for young kids - it 8-12 years, the US will have some real talent out there.

No Mo Moss
06-13-2006, 11:30 AM
I wonder whhy we were so flat for this game? I've watched nearly every national team game in the last two years and this is the worst I seen them play. Oh, well atleast we still have 2 games left, but we'll probably need to win them both. I really hope we play our best football against Italy, if we do that we can win.

No Mo Moss
06-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Tarlam, where are you at? I thought for sure you'd be on here glowing about your Aussies glorious comeback. That was some of the best and worst soccer I've ever seen in 6 mins. Impressive though.

Anyone think that the USA still has a shot? Maybe now taht its back to no one thinking we can win, we will. We need a point or it over. A loss and we're done. A point and we still have a pulse, faint. But you also have to think, if the Czechs lose to Ghana and the USA wins, we're all tied up.

Thoughts?

The German vs Poland game and the Saudi vs Tunisia game were the best of the cup by far to this point.

MJZiggy
06-14-2006, 07:55 PM
The German goal at the very end was really wild. Was originally thinking it would be nice if Poland won, but Germany dominated and deserved the W. I even saw what I thought was an offsides penalty that didn't get called.

No Mo Moss
06-14-2006, 10:26 PM
The German goal at the very end was really wild. Was originally thinking it would be nice if Poland won, but Germany dominated and deserved the W. I even saw what I thought was an offsides penalty that didn't get called.

Sounds like you're really getting into it. Good stuff isn't it.
I wish they would do it every two years though, 4 is agony!!

Anti-Polar Bear
06-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Sounds like you're really getting into it. Good stuff isn't it.
I wish they would do it every two years though, 4 is agony!!

Well, unless you happen to be a sexist, you can always watch the women plays in 2 years. I am still waiting for the moment when a nice looking gal takes off her shirt after a score to only revail nothing but c or d cups.

Harlan Huckleby
06-14-2006, 10:52 PM
I think soccer might be a game made for high definition TV, and big screens. The camera angle needs to be so wide, because action is taking place over wide area. You can't see what is going on with their feet, except on close-up replay.

I can't understand why the crowds cheer when they do. Actually, it is kind of a continuous uproar that ebbs and flows for no apparent reason.

I went to a couple pro games up in the twin cities. In one of them, Pele was playing, to show how long ago that was! Very exciting game to watch in person, those guys really move.

Tarlam!
06-15-2006, 06:36 AM
Tarlam, where are you at?

Hi No Mo, I am having some troubles at home. I also started a new job, and I've got school. Packer Rats has slipped on the priority list, but I was stoked by the comeback - so was everyone non-Japanese, I daresay!

MJZiggy
06-15-2006, 07:47 AM
I can't understand why the crowds cheer when they do. Actually, it is kind of a continuous uproar that ebbs and flows for no apparent reason.

I watched the end of the match from my dentists chair and he said that he went to a match in Europe and the crowd noise is actually them singing. He said at one point they were singing nursery rhymes. Still kind of eerie when you're in the crowd. Funny he and his assistant spent a lot of time in my "room" and complimented me often on my choice of what to watch. We had a conversation about Big Ben, etc. while Around the Horn was on.

BallHawk
06-15-2006, 08:00 AM
About 4 hours till kick off for England VS. Trinadad & Tobago. I was born in London so I'm rooting for England. I'm cheering on USA also, but England has the better squad.

Tarlam!
06-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Germany through, Ecuador through. This is a fun time.

Aussies play Brazil next. That's just sooooo unfair.

Harlan Huckleby
06-15-2006, 11:10 AM
They need more scoring in this game. Let the offensive guys grab the ball with their hands and throw it. Or make the goalies wear boots.

I'm sure the NFL would find a way to deal with the low scoring.

Fosco33
06-15-2006, 11:44 AM
They need more scoring in this game. Let the offensive guys grab the ball with their hands and throw it. Or make the goalies wear boots.

I'm sure the NFL would find a way to deal with the low scoring.

Hell yeah - either make the field smaller, make the goal larger or BOTH.

jack's smirking revenge
06-15-2006, 11:56 AM
I have no faith that the U.S. can right the ship after their first game dud, especially with who they still have left to face.

Best start looking toward 2010.

tyler

Tarlam!
06-15-2006, 12:04 PM
They need more scoring in this game.

That's just your opinion. The game's rules are just fine.

What they need to do is stop and start the clock, like in the NFL. Teams ahead "play for time" and slow the game down, hoping to wind out the clock. The clock keeps running, no matter what. Although a game lasts for 90 minutes, only 65 minutes are actually played.

In order to make the game higher scoring, they only need to take out the off-sides rule. That would loosen up defenses and open the field. Hence, you can expect more goals.

The problem with that is, off-sides is a significant defensive strategy. That would be like outlawing the blitz in the NFL.

BallHawk
06-15-2006, 12:08 PM
England is tied with T&T at 49:00. This makes me sick.

jack's smirking revenge
06-15-2006, 12:18 PM

That's just your opinion. The game's rules are just fine.

What they need to do is stop and start the clock, like in the NFL. Teams ahead "play for time" and slow the game down, hoping to wind out the clock. The clock keeps running, no matter what. Although a game lasts for 90 minutes, only 65 minutes are actually played.

In order to make the game higher scoring, they only need to take out the off-sides rule. That would loosen up defenses and open the field. Hence, you can expect more goals.

The problem with that is, off-sides is a significant defensive strategy. That would be like outlawing the blitz in the NFL.

I agree Tar. It's an American, ADD need to have fast scoring and lots of action. Tinkering the rules to increase scoring may work for MLS and would help to increase American interest, but we'd fall flat in global competition. The rest of the world has no need for high-scoring games because the beauty is in the slowly development and strategic march of a single match.

I personally like defensive football struggles and soccer is really a defensive chess match. It truly takes a team to score (and win), unless you have players that can individually dominate a game, such as Pele or Ronaldinho, and those players are extremely rare. I would argue that the U.S. has never produced a player of dominating caliber. Probably also a reason why we have such a hard time following the sport.

It's just not a priority here.

tyler

Fosco33
06-15-2006, 01:01 PM

This strategy is not unique to soccer. It happens in basketball, hockey and even football all the time (think Holmgren's conservative strategy in the 2nd half from 95-97). Personally, I always hate when a team plays this way. What made the team successful was their offensive pressure/strategy. I laughed during the NCAA when a few teams lost huge leads by running the shot clock.

Watching this England-Trinidad match made me realize why soccer (as is) could never be really successful in the US. Since there are generally no stoppages in play, there are no commercials! Instead, we get to see a ticker of various company logos (Budweiser, Kia, etc.) and the stadium is blanketed with every major company in the world. If soccer made this rule change (stop the clock during out of bounds, player injuries, after goals, etc) and implemented a few mandatory timeouts (for rest and commercials), it would have a better market.

So, England just scored (83 min) - from the 55-83 minute nearly 90% of the plays were on the English side - now, of course, they're milking the clock and giving their opponent no chance to score. It would be sweet to have penalties for this (like in boxing where some boxers just stall).

Anti-Polar Bear
06-15-2006, 01:21 PM
The kid for the Washington National or Senators of MLS, i dont really know, Ado i believe is called a soccer prodigy by Sports Illustrated. Ado signed a pro contract at age 14, i believe. Why isnt he with the US national team? Too young? If so, and if he develops his skills like Michael did his in basketball, perchance he will eventually become America's soccer saviar...just like Beckem is with England.

jack's smirking revenge
06-15-2006, 02:49 PM
The kid for the Washington National or Senators of MLS, i dont really know, Ado i believe is called a soccer prodigy by Sports Illustrated. Ado signed a pro contract at age 14, i believe. Why isnt he with the US national team? Too young? If so, and if he develops his skills like Michael did his in basketball, perchance he will eventually become America's soccer saviar...just like Beckem is with England.

I have to admit that I haven't followed Ado that closely, but I think his absence from the national team has to do with age and experience. He could be the next big USA soccer personality, but when we only crank out one every few decades, its hard to compete with the rest of the world, which is dominant because their sole focus is the sport of soccer.

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
06-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Right now, Adu is overrated. He's not good enough to make the national team. Hopefully, he improves. The game needs a star. The one guy on the team who I think could become a star (with some European seasoning) is Eddie Johnson. There's something about him. He's fast, but he's not a wimp. He seems to wreak havoc when he's in there. Now, if he can just learn to stay onsides.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-16-2006, 12:00 AM
Soccer woven into fabric of America
by Norman Chad

The World Cup is far and away the greatest sporting event on Earth - the Olympics, on a good day, are a distant second, and when I say "a good day," I'm not talking about one of those days in which there's synchronized swimming or Nordic combined - and yet, here in America, the earth doesn't move for soccer's monthlong spectacle.

With the World Cup under way, I think it's important to understand our relative apathy toward the globe's No. 1 sport. To do this, we must examine the past. So we now proudly present an abridged History of Soccer in America:

1492: Christopher Columbus discovers the New World and is aghast to see Native Americans playing football.

1687: King James II visits the colonies, complains that he can't find a pub showing an English Premier League match.

1775: Paul Revere makes his famous ride, shouting out, "The British are coming with soccer balls! The British are coming with soccer balls!"

1793: Overheard at an Alexander Hamilton dinner party: "Soccer? Please. We're an action nation."

1891: James Naismith casually tosses a soccer ball into a basket at his home in Springfield, Mass., inadvertently inventing the game of basketball.

1898: The Spanish-American War ends in a 0-0 tie. (Note to readers: I made that one up.)

1918: Women's suffrage is passed by Congress, giving soccer moms their first political foothold.

1930: The first World Cup is won by Uruguay, in Uruguay. Most Americans could not find Uruguay on a map if you gave them a map of Uruguay.

1950: The United States upsets England, 1-0, at the World Cup for its greatest soccer victory. Like Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game 12 years later, nobody actually sees it.

(Column Intermission I: Queen Latifah announced "National Women's Confidence Day" last week. Fine. Couch Slouch is announcing "National Divorcés Sympathy Week.")

(Column Intermission II: I heard a stat the other night on an HBO documentary: Every day around the world, sex occurs 120 million times. Thank goodness I'm not adding to that problem.)

1968: The North American Soccer League is formed. After an initial surge of interest, most NASL facilities are converted into Starbucks.

1978: While 2.2 billion people worldwide watch Argentina beat Holland in the World Cup final, 79 million Americans turn to "CHiPs" with Erik Estrada!

1980: Soccer hooligans arrive in New York and get trampled by Jets fans en route to Giants Stadium.

1981: Kitty Menendez grows tired of driving Lyle and Erik Menendez to youth soccer games, so she starts just dropping them off at the mall.

1989: Women begin playing soccer in large numbers. Future President Bill Clinton develops a keen interest in soccer.

1993: A USA Today survey indicates that "watching soccer on TV" is the 273rd most popular leisure pursuit in America, right behind "complaining about the weather" and "talking on the cell phone while driving an SUV."

1994: The World Cup comes to America, but most Americans ignore it because McDonald's is offering the McRib sandwich "for a limited time only."

1997: C-SPAN ponders replacing Senate hearings with MLS games, nixes idea due to ratings considerations.

2002: The U.S. defeats Portugal in the World Cup, prompting ESPN's Jack Edwards to say, "Mine eyes have seen the glory," coincidentally the exact words I used when I saw the Hershey's chocolate factory on a third-grade field trip.

2005: I date Mia Hamm, but she breaks up with me on her birthday when I fall asleep watching "Bend It Like Beckham" on home video.

Fosco33
06-17-2006, 03:12 PM
FUBAR!!!!!!

Can we protest this bullshit?

HarveyWallbangers
06-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Great result. For those that didn't see it, here's my analysis:

The USA's new lineup outplayed Italy early, getting a couple of good chances. Clint Dempsey and Bobby Convey played outstanding early. Landon Donovan rebounded from a poor game. They stiffled Italy for the first 20 minutes. At 22' the USA made a bad tactical mistake, and Italy made them pay for it. At 27' The USA got a decent cross, the Italian defender kicked it into his own goal--although Brian McBride was right there to put the ball away if it hadn't gone in. Big break. A little later, the Italians had perhaps the dirtiest play in this World Cup that I've seen when De Rossi swung a wild and intentional elbow at Brian McBride--severely bloodying McBride's face. He deservedly got a red card. For about the next 20 minutes the referee lost control of the game, and really hurt the USA's chances. Two very questionable red cards put the USA down a man for almost the entire second half. From there, Kasey Keller stepped up and made several outstanding saves--showing why he's one of the best keepers in the Bundesliga. I thought DeMarcus Beasley rebounded, and played okay as a substitute. I thought Brian McBride did a good job of bouncing back and winning a lot of headers late. The USA played pretty good a man down until about the 75th minute. At 70' the USA narrowly missed taking the lead. They scored, but they were correctly whistled for an offsides because McBride was shielding the goalie from an offsides position. From there, Italy put on a mad attack that the USA was just barely able to thwart. Nobody on the USA played poorly. Some guys that deserve praise are Dempsey, Convey, Keller, Mastreoni (who I have never liked much), McBride (with some underrated headers in his own end), Bocanegra, Cherundolo (another guy I've criticized a lot) and Onyewu in the back. There wasn't a goat, but if I had to choose a guy, it would probably be Eddie Pope. He had a few questionable tackles, and he should have been more cautious after Masteoni picked up the red card. I would have liked to seen Eddie Johnson in the game also.

Great result for the USA. For the USA to advancance, they need to:

1) Beat Ghana and have Italy beat the Czech Republic.
2) If Italy ties the Czech Republic or if the Czech Republic beats Italy, they'll likely need to beat Ghana by 4 goals or so. That's VERY unlikely to happen.

Root for the floppers from Italy to win their next game and hope the USA can beat Ghana. The one good thing is that the two games are at the same time, so the Czechs and Italy will likely not being playing for a tie.

Tarlam!
06-17-2006, 04:40 PM
This was about the worst officiating I have ever seen in a Cup game in my life.

The USA were robbed.

red
06-17-2006, 05:05 PM
that was shit

the team played their asses off, but we got screwed

like the guys said, the refs ruined this game for the teams and the fans watching. that was just pathetic

and then the come on after the game and said that the ref had been suspended for "irregular officiatiing" a few years ago. why the hell was he allowed to ref in the world cup?

and harv, i wouldn't say the ref lost control of the game, HE was out of control for about 20 minutes

pretty ballsey for a guy to screw over the us, when theres a whole shit load of americans with guns and bombs sitting right next door

Fosco33
06-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Can someone explain what happened on Ghana's second penalty kick attempt? It looks like it went in the goal - the post match announcers on ESPN said that the ball ended up out of the back of the net. :?

red
06-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Can someone explain what happened on Ghana's second penalty kick attempt? It looks like it went in the goal - the post match announcers on ESPN said that the ball ended up out of the back of the net. :?

i'm not sure exactly what you are talking about. but i think that ghana kicked the first one and it went in, but the ref blew the whistle right when he was about to boot it to give a czech player a card. then on the redo, i think he just hit the right post

No Mo Moss
06-17-2006, 09:57 PM
The US v. Italy game was one of the most exciting sporting events I've ever seen. The ref was a joke and ruined legitimate shots for both teams to win, but the US definately got the worlds attention battling with only 9 men against Italy. It is very possible that they will advance. VEry impressive today, kudos to them.

Updated: June 17, 2006
Playing with a purpose
By Wayne Drehs
Archive

KAISERSLAUTERN, Germany -- When the referee finally blew his whistle, when the emotional roller coaster of a soccer game finally came to a screeching halt, all Landon Donovan could do was lay there.

Andy Mead/GettyImages
U.S. midfielder Pablo Mastroeni sees red against Italy.
His body was numb. His emotions conflicted. Smack in the middle of the field at Fritz-Walter Stadium, with chants of "USA, USA," echoing from all around, he tried to make sense of what had just taken place on the field before him.

"I guess it's bittersweet," he said. "You want to win the game. But at the same time, we gave everything we had. I mean ... everything ... we ... had."
When he made his way to the locker room, Donovan would need an IV to replenish his fluids. Not far away, three stitches held together the gash on Brian McBride's left cheek. And Jimmy Conrad walked through the postgame interview scrum with a chunk of gauze poking out of his nose. And those were only the bumps and bruises that were visible. In a physically exhausting match with 37 fouls, four cautions and three expulsions, there assuredly was more.
But at least for a while Saturday night, no one on the U.S. could feel the pain. Despite losing two players to red cards in a span of two minutes, despite playing a man down for almost the entire second half, the Americans tied Italy 1-1 Saturday, keeping their hopes for advancing to the next round healthy and alive.
"These guys bled for our country and our team tonight," goalkeeper Kasey Keller said afterward. "Today was about the team."
It was the type of performance manager Bruce Arena had hoped for. All week long, he had harped to his players: Play with heart. Play with spirit. Play with a purpose. But most importantly, play to the absolute peak of your abilities, so that when the game is over you can sit in the locker room and look your teammates in the face with nothing but pride.
Saturday, that was more than the case. Though the outcome was a tie, one point in the World Cup standings rather than three, it was a performance that restored hope in the U.S. team. Five days after a deflating 3-0 loss to the Czech Republic, five days after Arena criticized almost his entire roster for its lifeless performance, the Americans outperformed one of the top teams in the world, playing for much of the game a man down.
"This was the team we knew we had," defender Jimmy Conrad said. "This is the group we all felt so confident about. And today, we showed a bit of our character and our pride, to nobody else but ourselves. We can look each other in the eye after this one."
For much of the afternoon, it seemed like a day of destiny for the Americans. First Ghana upset the Czech Republic, helping the Americans' chances of advancing out of Group E. Then once the players stepped on the field, they were greeted by a sea of red, white and blue. An overwhelming showing of fan support one U.S. soccer official called the greatest he had ever seen on foreign soil.
Italy scored the first goal, but then, in one two-minute span in the first half, Cristian Zaccardo booted a ball into his own net and Daniele De Rossi was served a red card for elbowing McBride in the cheek. The match was tied at 1 and the Italians were down a man. Things were going the Americans' way.
"I was thinking, 'here's the greatest two minutes in U.S. soccer -- an own goal and a red card,'" Conrad said. "Then we turned around and gave it back -- or the ref gave it back."
Seventeen minutes after De Rossi's ejection, in the final minute of the first half, Pablo Mastroeni was sent off for an illegal tackle, making the game a match-up of 10-on-10. And then, in the second minute of the second half, U.S. defender Eddie Pope picked up his second yellow card of the match, sending him off for good.
In the blink of an eye, a one-man advantage for the U.S. had devolved into a one-man disadvantage.
"Two red cards in a span of five minutes is pretty hard," Arena said. "There's no way you prepare a team to play 10-on-9 for 45 minutes in a World Cup against a team like the Italians."
For the remainder of the game, the U.S. would play with nine. Italy would have 10. Possession after possession, the Italians took their shots. Some were blocked. Some missed target. Some goalkeeper Keller snagged out of the air. None found the back of the net.
The Italians would have a corner kick in the 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th and 90th minutes -- and not score.
"When you're down a man you're the wounded tiger," Conrad said. "It almost brings the team together a bit. You play smarter. No me-me-me, no dribbling and trying to do it on your own. It's all about the team. We couldn't cover all those guys. There was way to much open space out there. So we just had to make the plays when they came to us. That was the mindset."
The goal was simple: Bend but don't break. Don't let the Italians score. One single goal and the Americans' chances of advancing to the next round would have been near dead. Thursday's match against Ghana would have become just about irrelevant. But it never happened. The American team effectively killed a penalty for 43 minutes, at one point springing DaMarcus Beasley loose for a shorthanded goal of its own, before the referee called it back after McBride was ruled offsides.
The tie, coupled with Ghana's upset victory over the Czechs, now means the U.S. can reach the second round with a win over Ghana and an Italian victory over the Czechs. But regardless of whether or not that's how it plays out, the Americans now have a performance they can be proud of. After the match, the U.S. locker room was a scene of high-fives, handshakes and pats on the back, a far cry from five days ago.
"I can't give enough praise to every single player who wore our shirt," Arena said. "We were the better team tonight -- a team that deserved a point."

HarveyWallbangers
06-17-2006, 11:15 PM
I've been reading the BBC and other international newspapers, and many still can't give the USA any respect. Some did... saying they deserved the result or better--while others basically said the Amercians played a thuggish game. I think that' s a joke. Other teams are physical, and the Italians flopped a lot. Personally, I'm glad to see the Americans play physical. Australia too. You can't let these teams get too comfortable. We did that against the Czech Republic.

Tarlam!
06-18-2006, 01:51 AM
I think th problem isn't the team or the standard you play, Har. It's more the world can't deal with how lowly "Soccer" is regarded in the USA.

Think about it. USA is dominant in every other game/sport. Why do they not have a World Cup victory yet?

The truth is, it's only a matter of time...

Homer Jay
06-18-2006, 03:11 AM
I admit I'm not a soccer fan so go ahead and yell at me. So, now the USA finally scores a goal, and it is a soft goal at best. Now the world should be singing our praises? Two games 1 goal. I'm glad you all enjoy it. I've tried, but still the only thing I can find that is more boring is watching paint dry.

Go USA!!!

To an uneducated eye the officiating looked atrocious.

red
06-18-2006, 08:08 AM
I admit I'm not a soccer fan so go ahead and yell at me. So, now the USA finally scores a goal, and it is a soft goal at best. Now the world should be singing our praises? Two games 1 goal. I'm glad you all enjoy it. I've tried, but still the only thing I can find that is more boring is watching paint dry.

Go USA!!!

the reason we think the world should be calling us a little bit more then a crappy team is the fact that we tied italy. they are one of the giant power houses in soccer year in and year out. for us to stay with them (and IMO we were the better looking team all game) is a huge victory for the US. even if it was only a tie

when you understand the game it becomes more fun to watch it. to me its much more fun then watching baseball and basketball

red
06-18-2006, 08:58 AM
and it looks like i'm not alone in saying i'd rather watch the world cup over the other things (except football)

espn has a poll up asking which is the most interesting event

world cup
nba finals
us open (golf)

the world cup leads with 47%
nba finals is second with 38%
and the us open has 15%

with over 122,000 votes

so it looks like more americans are starting to tune in to the world cup

HarveyWallbangers
06-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Go Australia. With the result earlier today, it looks like all they need is a tie in one of their last two games to advance.

HarveyWallbangers
06-18-2006, 10:29 AM

Go USA!!!

It goes beyond this World Cup. We advanced to the Final 8 in Korea--beating solid soccer powers Portugal and Mexico along the way. We also tied host Korea--who advanced to the Semifinals. We also outplayed Germany in a close loss. We beat Mexico in qualification in the first time in our history--yet Mexico is seeded higher. We get thrown into one of the two Groups of Death, and have a chance at advancing. When we play well, I expect people to say we played well. When we stunk against the Czechs, we were called out harshly (which we should have been). However, the praise never comes. There's always an excuse. After tying Italy on European soil with a man down 1/2 the game, we should get praised.

HarveyWallbangers
06-18-2006, 10:32 AM
JSO-like double post. I'm getting a bad connection here at home.

red
06-18-2006, 10:57 AM
well said harv

and kudos on the triple post lol

well time to watch the soccer gods(brazil) play

BallHawk
06-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Damnit, Australia lost. My Dad lived in Australia for a couple years, when he was a kid, so I root for them. I've got connections with about every country in the World Cup. My grandad was born in Poland, Grandma grew up in Switzerland, etc. My main teams are USA, Australia, and England, though.

In regard to the U.S., as much as I want them to make it, they won't. I think they will beat Ghana, but Italy won't beat the Czechs. The Ghana game was a fluke for them.

HarveyWallbangers
06-18-2006, 04:21 PM
I thought Australia looked pretty good. Gave up a late one when they were trying to get the equalizer.

HarveyWallbangers
06-19-2006, 09:10 AM
From Englishman Michael Davies on ESPN.com:

Apparently, the burghers of Munich drink more beer than any other population on earth ... but with the Australians in town, I have a feeling we're about to see some kind of beer world record. This stadium reeks of the amber nectar. And the Australian fans away to my right are totally in the mood, heaping piles of abuse on Ronaldo and the Brasilians, at one point even chanting "boooooring" -- sacrilege in the old-world football order.

But the Australians, like the Americans last night, represent the ruggedness of the new world. I'll spare you the frontier thesis. But something's up in the world of football, and I think it could be the thrill of the new...

I've read a bunch of the international press on the U.S. vs. Italy match, and not surprisingly, they see it a little differently than the press back home. No mention of the rousing performance of the U.S. fans (will never get over what I witnessed; for me, much more notable than the three red cards) and only grudging acceptance of how well the U.S. team played. The match was essentially seen as a violent encounter with an extraordinary number of fouls. The referee's overeagerness to pull out his whole palate of cards (I'm sure if he'd had other colors he would have used them) was seen in that context, and in the context of the specific instructions given to referees at this World Cup, namely, clamp down on flying elbows, two-footed cleats-up tackles and tackles from behind.

After having watched some replays on German television, I am convinced Pablo Mastroeni's red card was justified, or at least inevitable based on the briefing of the referees and the fact that he had already sent off an Italian. The U.S. will learn from that.

The disallowed Beasley goal was also a correct call.

I will, however, never believe that Eddie Pope's second yellow was justified. It was a foul, but not a yellow. A simple case of a ref trying to stamp his authority on a game early in the half and not realising he was killing the game...

It's great to see the coverage from the U.S. (watched some of the live studio show on ESPN.com) reflecting the passion of the players and fans. Eric, Alexi and Giorgio in the studio? That's a cocktail. But the scapegoating of the ref, the bringing up of his past suspension (when no one seems to have any idea what it was for) is a British import the U.S. can do without. It doesn't change anything. The U.S. got a great result because of their players. Bruce Arena, I thought, handled the postmatch press conference with real class.

HarveyWallbangers
06-19-2006, 12:57 PM
I like this guy.
:D

Reputations mean nothing
19 June 2006
by FIFAworldcup.com

Mark Webber, Formula One driver

He is the first Australian to race in Formula One since David Brabham in 1994. Webber made an emotional debut in Formula One in 2002, scoring Minardi's first points in three years at his and Stoddart's home race.

Do you think Australia can go through?
There’s still a chance if they draw against Croatia. I think if they go through and if they play Italy or someone like they did against Brazil, it can go quite well. Even though football is not a very popular sport in Australia, we have a lot of talented Australian football players. They’re Australian and they want to do well. I think that football is going to get bigger and bigger in the next ten years, and you’ll see countries like America and Australia really do well against some of the European countries. They’re starting to be recognized in some of the other countries. Football is European and South American dominated but there is some other nations coming in that will spice up the World Cup in the future.

So you are going to support the English team?
I love living in England, I love the English people, I have an English girlfriend, I have English T.V comedy, it’s all good fun, and I have a lot of friends here but when it comes to sport I don’t support England at all. I’m not expecting them to do all that much, I think they will be one of the disappointing teams, and they won’t go too far in the championship.

No Mo Moss
06-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Has anyone seen any of the Italian press after that game, I'd be really eager to see what they were saying.

It seems that if things play out and the US advances, their likely 1st rd foe would be Brazil. To me that could be a good thing. I mean does anyone really think that the US has a shot at winning it all? Of course not. If they make it out of the group of death I think it will already be a great victory for American soccer. From there you need to know what you're made of. To do that you have to play the best in the business. Brazil hasn't locked up the #1 seed yet but probably will. Of all the years though Brazil has looked beatable this year. It would be the opportunity of a lifetime.

Tarlam!
06-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Harv, are you baiting me?

Partial
06-19-2006, 01:38 PM
if they someone come out of their group, and thats a big if, I think that will put a HUGE spotlight on US soccer here for a bit.

If they were to beat Brazil, holy snap, soccer might actually be network broadcast on something other than espn 8 (the ocho) for a game or two!!

red
06-19-2006, 02:33 PM
if they someone come out of their group, and thats a big if, I think that will put a HUGE spotlight on US soccer here for a bit.

If they were to beat Brazil, holy snap, soccer might actually be network broadcast on something other than espn 8 (the ocho) for a game or two!!i don't know, we went to the round of 8 last time and nobody gave a flying shit, they just said it was a fluke, and i didn't really see a huge upswing in the popularity of soccer among americans.

and i think if they can find a way to beat brasil people will use the excuse that brasil isn't playing all that well this year (well compaired to how they usually play)

of course we need to beat ghana first, and to do that we have to score, which we haven't done yet in this cup, and win on european soil, which we also have still never done. then we need some help from italy who is going up against a damn good team

No Mo Moss
06-19-2006, 03:49 PM
I think the performance in 2002 DID have a huge impact on soccer in this country. There was almost no coverage of the qualifying matches prior to the 2002 cup, now every time the USA laces em up, they are on TV. For the first time ever every game is being broadcast in this country. Since 2002 many huge European clubs such as Man U, Real Madrid, AC Milan and others have toured the US playing to sold out stadiums. Chelsea will play the MLS allstars in August, that would have never happened prior to the 2002 cup. The MLS got a ratings boost for a while and then went back to earth. If the MLS can get a couple big name players to defect, then they might have something. Beckham has been mentioned, Ryan Giggs. A strong showing would go a long way. The ratings are way up for the games this year.

HarveyWallbangers
06-19-2006, 04:07 PM
I think the performance in 2002 DID have a huge impact on soccer in this country. There was almost no coverage of the qualifying matches prior to the 2002 cup, now every time the USA laces em up, they are on TV. For the first time ever every game is being broadcast in this country. Since 2002 many huge European clubs such as Man U, Real Madrid, AC Milan and others have toured the US playing to sold out stadiums. Chelsea will play the MLS allstars in August, that would have never happened prior to the 2002 cup. The MLS got a ratings boost for a while and then went back to earth. If the MLS can get a couple big name players to defect, then they might have something. Beckham has been mentioned, Ryan Giggs. A strong showing would go a long way. The ratings are way up for the games this year.

I agree. Not to mention that more Americans are getting a chance in European leagues, and some of them are valuable members of their teams (Bocanegra and McBride with Fulham, Convey with Reading, Keller in the Bundesliga, Howard with Man U., etc.) Look for Johnson and Dempsey to get shots soon.

No Mo Moss
06-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Marcus Hannaman (sp) and Convey played big roles in getting Reading promoted. McBride was named Fulhams MVP. He showed why against Italy. Tim Howard actually has been loaned to Everton next year by Man U, so he will be starting again.
All its going to take is one big name player coming to the MLS and its on. A lot of people will cite failings of the past when Pele and others came here to play, but I'd say that America wasn't ready yet.

FavreChild
06-19-2006, 10:02 PM
[quote="No Mo Moss"]Has anyone seen any of the Italian press after that game, I'd be really eager to see what they were saying.[quote]

I'd be interested in that, also. It's always insightful to hear alternate perspectives. It seemed that USA/ITA was quite a physical game, but I can't rely on my own observations....

World Cup is great...especially when you are umemployed (by choice) and get to watch it all day. :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
06-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Marcus Hannaman (sp) and Convey played big roles in getting Reading promoted. McBride was named Fulhams MVP. He showed why against Italy. Tim Howard actually has been loaned to Everton next year by Man U, so he will be starting again.
All its going to take is one big name player coming to the MLS and its on. A lot of people will cite failings of the past when Pele and others came here to play, but I'd say that America wasn't ready yet.

During the Brasil match, they said that Ronaldo and Beckham will probably be playing in MLS within 2-3 years.

No Mo Moss
06-20-2006, 12:25 PM

During the Brasil match, they said that Ronaldo and Beckham will probably be playing in MLS within 2-3 years.

Really. I don't know if I want Ronaldo, but BEckham is a guy that would have a long career in the MLS. A lot of players make a huge mistake when they come from Europe to play in the MLS. They think its a lollipop league and they'll just dominate the whole time. That doesn't happen. I've seen it time and time again with European players. That's why I think Ronaldo would be a dissapointment. He seems to be almost out of gas. Beckham though is perfect. He's in great shape and has some respect for the league. That would be great.

Harv you said you had read some of the European press in regards to the ITL/USA game. Could you summarize?

HarveyWallbangers
06-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Mostly they said that it was a foul-plagued game, and that the USA was overly physical. A few praised the USA for outplaying Italy, and they thought the red cards were unjustified. Most didn't. Totally different reaction than here, but I've seen it going back to since I started watching the World Cup in 1994. People always think we got lucky, or a team was overlooking us. The only games we probably got near universal praise were the Mexico and Germany games in 2002. That's okay. They can keep disrespecting us. We are gaining, and they don't acknowledge it. Just like the Euros gained on Americans players in basketball. Now, the African and Pacific countries, America, Australia, etc. are slowly, but surely gaining on the Euros.

MJZiggy
06-20-2006, 04:02 PM
England v. Sweden was an interesting match...at least this time I remembered to watch it. We thought England had it sewn up with a goal in the 86th minute and then Sweden came back again right at the end and tied it up. The announcer was all over Beckham too. I got the impression he didn't like him much.

Harlan Huckleby
06-20-2006, 04:07 PM
I was listening to a suggestion on a radio show to improve soccer: relax the rules on offsides. Not sure exactly how to do it, but one idea is to eliminate offsides penalites once ball has crossed midfield.

I think it is a terrific idea!!! Way too many offsides penalties slowing down the game, preventing exciting scoring opportunities.

I think the United States should dictate this rule change and invade any country that doesn't go along with it.

Only kidding about the invasion, but damn serious about the rule change.

No Mo Moss
06-21-2006, 07:09 PM
I was listening to a suggestion on a radio show to improve soccer: relax the rules on offsides. Not sure exactly how to do it, but one idea is to eliminate offsides penalites once ball has crossed midfield.

I think it is a terrific idea!!! Way too many offsides penalties slowing down the game, preventing exciting scoring opportunities.

I think the United States should dictate this rule change and invade any country that doesn't go along with it.

Only kidding about the invasion, but damn serious about the rule change.

What you're describing is impossible. If there were no offsides penalties past the mid field (im assuming you're saying the opposite midfield) it would ruin the game. A forward could just go stand by the goal and wait for a long pass. There is no real way to soften the offsides rule, you either are or you aren't. FIFA did pretty much all they could this last year to soften offsides. Now you can be in an offsides posiiton if you don't get the ball or interfere with the play. Beasley's non-goal against Italy is a perfect example. Two years ago that would have been offsides, an obvious call. The reason it was borderline (albeit the correct call) was because McBride didn't touch the ball or interfere with play. The refs did rule however that his positioning interferred with the goaltender, therefore he was in an offside position. Had he been standing 3 feet further towards the corner, the US win that game.

Harlan Huckleby
06-21-2006, 07:23 PM
What you're describing is impossible. If there were no offsides penalties past the mid field (im assuming you're saying the opposite midfield) it would ruin the game. A forward could just go stand by the goal and wait for a long pass.

OK, I attempted to educate myself a little better on what offsides means.
http://www.burtrandworld.co.uk/offside-rule.php

But as far as your example, the forward would have to remain onsides until the ball crossed midfield, so it's not like he'd just be able to hang-out down there. Perhaps the be able to run down field until the ball crossed midfield, so it's not like he'd just be hangin-out there. Also, you might also make it illegal for a player to hang-out inside the penalty box without the ball.

Fosco33
06-22-2006, 12:43 AM
So the match (err - game) is 10 AM ET. That's damn early here in Cali - I'll have to roll out of bed a little earlier than normal. Do we have a chance w/o two starters against a fast Ghana squad? Will Italy rebound and give the Czechs a run for their money? If we advance, the likely draw is Brazil - so either we're done tomorrow or Saturday.... I can definitely wait another 4 years for the next Cup - I'm having more trouble waiting 2.5 months for NFL kickoff :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
06-22-2006, 01:32 AM
Ghana will be without the two guys that have scored their goals in this World Cup, so I don't think we can use the loss of Mastroeni and Pope as an excuse. We'll have to play tight defense while trying to push more than one forward up.

Partial
06-22-2006, 08:29 AM
anyone know where we can get a webcast this morning?

Partial
06-22-2006, 08:45 AM
15 minutes until kickoff.. Anybody? I am at work so our internet kind of sucks, I think it may be on ESPN but I cannot get the page to load!!

Partial
06-22-2006, 08:57 AM
bump

Partial
06-22-2006, 09:02 AM
i googled english world cup streaming audio and the second result works and is free!

USA! USA! USA! USA!

Badgepack
06-22-2006, 09:23 AM
i googled english world cup streaming audio and the second result works and is free!

USA! USA! USA! USA!

Thanks for the link

FavreChild
06-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Italy is holding up their end of the deal.

Too many yellow cards already. :neutral:

Partial
06-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Lets go USA!! Come on, they can play better than this!!

FavreChild
06-22-2006, 09:44 AM
NICE!!!

1-1

Fosco33
WOW!

Need another one like that. All tied w/ Italy up 1-0. It could happen.

red
WOW was that pretty

its about time we did something

Fosco33
06-22-2006, 09:48 AM
FUCK these refs - what the hell was that???

Can you imagine all the tech fouls in bball or p fouls in fball? We'd boycott that shit.

I'll never be a true fan of this fucked up game.

red
06-22-2006, 09:49 AM
that was complete bullshit

its bad enough we don't have the talent to match the rest of the world, then we have the refs against us too

fifa should be embarrassed with the refs in this cup

FavreChild
06-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Ridiculous. :evil:

The commentators have disagreed with nearly every single call. Yellow cards should be only fouls; several fouls called should have been yellow cards. But that penalty kick was the worst. You basically award a team with a free goal. Makes no sense.

Fosco33
06-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Ridiculous. :evil:

The commentators have disagreed with nearly every single call. Yellow cards should be only fouls; several fouls called should have been yellow cards. But that penalty kick was the worst. You basically award a team with a free goal. Makes no sense.

These refs must just love getting back at 'the man - err the US'. It's about their only shot to really piss off the red, white and blue.

Soccer is a pseudo sport.

Fosco33
06-22-2006, 10:18 AM
The refs had better get control of Ghana's slow play and flops. I feel the spirit of Malone in the Ghana team. "Ooh, I fell down I need a stretcher." LAME

red
06-22-2006, 10:28 AM
get donovan out of there

theres a reason why he hasn't scored it 17 international games, he's too damn small to play with the big boys. and he hasn't done anything else that should warrent him being in the game, much less being on the team

Fosco33
06-22-2006, 10:40 AM
The refs had better get control of Ghana's slow play and flops. I feel the spirit of Malone in the Ghana team. "Ooh, I fell down I need a stretcher." LAME

I wish Badger fans were at that game. I can just hear it now, "Shoot him like a horse, shoot him like a horse...."

Fosco33
06-22-2006, 10:45 AM
get donovan out of there

theres a reason why he hasn't scored it 17 international games, he's too damn small to play with the big boys. and he hasn't done anything else that should warrent him being in the game, much less being on the team

Too bad they didn't - he's blown a key free kick and another break after 80th min.

Partial
06-22-2006, 11:04 AM
First the Italy game, then the finals, now this. Can the refs please screw up any more major sporting events? One could argue the superbowl as well. BS!

MJZiggy
06-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Can someone please tell me the difference between a foul, yellow card and red card? What is the penalty for committing a foul? What's the difference between a foul and a yellow card?

red
06-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Can someone please tell me the difference between a foul, yellow card and red card? What is the penalty for committing a foul? What's the difference between a foul and a yellow card?

acording to the fifa refs in this cup, there is no difference between those three things

this is very general, and made up in my head (i haven't played the game in a long time)

but a foul is just a normal foul that happens, or is unintentional

a yellow card comes if there is an intentional foul, or maybe multiple nonintentional fouls

a red card is for a flagrant foul (intent to hurt) or for getting 2 yellow cards

someone else should be able to come along and clear this up

MJZiggy
06-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Then does a regular foul incur a change of possession? Or is it something else? I saw fouls called, but couldn't figure out what the consequence of committing a foul was, except that if you got two yellow cards, you didn't play in the next game--in which case, I'm surprised the US didn't have more of them toward the game when desperation for the win should have overridden care of the consequences for the next game which they seemed less and less likely to be playing.

red
06-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Then does a regular foul incur a change of possession? Or is it something else? I saw fouls called, but couldn't figure out what the consequence of committing a foul was, except that if you got two yellow cards, you didn't play in the next game--in which case, I'm surprised the US didn't have more of them toward the game when desperation for the win should have overridden care of the consequences for the next game which they seemed less and less likely to be playing.

yeah, on a normal foul the other team gets the ball. thats what happens when you see one of the guys grab the ball quick and kick it to a teamate. sometimes they touch it with their hand before they send it to a teamate.

it happens really quick, but the other team does get the ball at the spot of the foul

red
06-22-2006, 11:48 AM
damnit

double post

FavreChild
06-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Yeah, the rest of the world is probably happy.

And let's face it...we would've gotten killed by Brazil, anyway. Now we don't have to hear any bitching about how the great and powerful U.S. managed to "sneak" out of pool play. :roll:

Who will everyone be rooting for here on out? Or will you no longer watch?

MJZiggy
06-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Who all advanced? I like England and they said today that the USA team would be cheering for Italy. I'm not sure who else is left.

FavreChild
06-22-2006, 01:04 PM
A lot of the usual suspects, like Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, England, Sweden, Portugal, Spain. I don't think there have been too many surprises other than Ghana!

I like Italy, also, but apart from that it's always fun to root for an underdog like Ghana. The rest of the countries have had their share of success...

No Mo Moss
06-22-2006, 01:21 PM
The ref definately screwed us today, but I will blame Arena as well.

First he leaves a sub on the bench during a 9 on 10 match against Italy. This is inexcusable. Johnson could have been a real force against a tired Italy team. We could have won that game.

Second, he comes out in the 5-4-1 formation yet again, even though it hasn't worked. He knows he needs a win and yet starts with only one forward. Mc Bride and Johnson should have started this game. Convey should have started instead of Beasley. Arena did a lot for US soccer, but its time to move on.

Still though, this is nothing like 1998, where we lost to bad teams and were a bad team ourselves. We didn't play all that well against great teams and were beat. Ghana is a very good team.

I'd say as a whole American soccer will continue to improve. The core of our team is playing in Europe and will continue to get better. I would say Adu, Dempsey, Johnson all make their way to Europe soon. As

red
06-22-2006, 01:24 PM
i'll pry root for brazil because they should win and that will make me feel good

lol

nah, i like brazil just because they are so much fun to watch, i also like italy, and the dutch. and the argentine fans are always great

it'll be fun to watch any of them, at this point they are all very good team and exciting to watch. and it is fun to root for the underdog. how nuts would it be if ghana could win it all? that might be the biggest thing to ever happen to that country

part of me is kind of happy we lost, the cup doesn't mean much to this country, but it means the world to a smaller country like ghana. so its nice to see them move on

red
06-22-2006, 01:32 PM

First he leaves a sub on the bench during a 9 on 10 match against Italy. This is inexcusable. Johnson could have been a real force against a tired Italy team. We could have won that game.

Second, he comes out in the 5-4-1 formation yet again, even though it hasn't worked. He knows he needs a win and yet starts with only one forward. Mc Bride and Johnson should have started this game. Convey should have started instead of Beasley. Arena did a lot for US soccer, but its time to move on.

Still though, this is nothing like 1998, where we lost to bad teams and were a bad team ourselves. We didn't play all that well against great teams and were beat. Ghana is a very good team.

I'd say as a whole American soccer will continue to improve. The core of our team is playing in Europe and will continue to get better. I would say Adu, Dempsey, Johnson all make their way to Europe soon. As

i completely argree with arena, time to move on. he played like sherman did (he played not to lose), but the problem is we HAD to score, and we HAD to win.

its time to get rid of the fruitey goofball

i don't think this helps american soccer one bit. we played good and tuff for 1 game out of 3 with the best, and looked like we didn't belong on the field in the other two. hopefully american kids are watching the other teams playing and being inspired by that, because i don't think the uS team laid any dreams in minds with this cup.

soccer in the US should improve just because all the cup games are on tv and people can see how much the rest of the world loves the game. and because the MLS is shelling out big bucks to build awesome soccer only stadiums for their teams to bring the fans to the games.

but IMO, the us team didn't do anything to help soccer in this country by the way they played, and might have done more to hurt it

No Mo Moss
06-22-2006, 01:32 PM
I was reading that the power companies had to beg the government to shut down the gold mine production for the day so they could generate enough electricity for all of the TVs. If you're going to lose, Ghana is about the best case scenario for taking your place. Go Black Stars.

No Mo Moss
06-22-2006, 01:37 PM
I don't think they hurt it at all. The performance against Italy was one of the guttiest displays I'ver ever seen. We also had more "bad calls" then I can ever remember and still almost made it through. This loss is not a step backward. A lot more people were exposed to the sport because of its HDTV coverage and it will continue to grow. 1998 was a step back, this was not. Had we been in say Mexicos group we would be through. The future of the US team is bright. Johnson, Dempsey, Adu, Onyweu, Bocanegra, Howard, Convey, Cherundolo. They have a very nice core to build off of. Most of those players play in Europe and they will get a lot better by doing that.

SkinBasket
06-22-2006, 01:48 PM
The officiating has been inconsistant and dreadful throughout the world cup. Not that it mattered to the end result much, but giving Ghana a PK for what was not even close to being a foul was inexcusable - just like any number of calls that have changed matches this year. If I had to guess, I would say it looks like FIFA told them to be tough on fouls, and that meant something different to each ref, just like the officials in the NFL when they decided to "crack down" on illegal contact.

If anything, they should err on the side of less calls in the world cup. Let the damned players decide the match, not blown non-goal calls and gimme game-winning PKs.

Fosco33
06-22-2006, 02:03 PM
The officiating has been inconsistant and dreadful throughout the world cup. Not that it mattered to the end result much, but giving Ghana a PK for what was not even close to being a foul was inexcusable - just like any number of calls that have changed matches this year. If I had to guess, I would say it looks like FIFA told them to be tough on fouls, and that meant something different to each ref, just like the officials in the NFL when they decided to "crack down" on illegal contact.

If anything, they should err on the side of less calls in the world cup. Let the damned players decide the match, not blown non-goal calls and gimme game-winning PKs.

I'll guarantee some of these refs will not be there in '10 and that FIFA will take a hard look at their messaging. I agree completely with you SB.

HarveyWallbangers
06-22-2006, 04:11 PM

I agree with your take on the 5-4-1 formation. I don't necessarily agree that bringing Johnson in against Italy would have been a good move. I agree with Arena that experience was needed int hat situation.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-22-2006, 04:24 PM
What is up with the czech republic? Are they going to the 2nd rd? Make no mistake, the Czech has the most beatiufl women in the world, especally in pornography.

Harlan Huckleby
06-22-2006, 07:11 PM
the Czech has the most beatiufl women in the world, especally in pornography.

They are drug addicts and have bruises all over their body from sex-trafficing masters. But otherwise cool scene.

No Mo Moss
06-22-2006, 08:05 PM

I agree with your take on the 5-4-1 formation. I don't necessarily agree that bringing Johnson in against Italy would have been a good move. I agree with Arena that experience was needed int hat situation.

I guess I shouldn't say that it had to be Johnson, but not using that final sub reeked of inexperience for two reasons.

1. A good coach will try to save subs for stoppage time if needed. They are a great way to waste time and disrupt the flow of the game if you are happy with the result. He absolutely should have used one in stoppage time to waste time. No excuse.

2. In a game with 9 men you have to use all of your subs. Those guys were gassed. Put out the fresh body. If you don't trust youth, then go with experience, but get a fresh player out there. If Arena didn't have that player on his bench, he should be fired because of that as well.

No Mo Moss
06-22-2006, 08:06 PM
What is up with the czech republic? Are they going to the 2nd rd? Make no mistake, the Czech has the most beatiufl women in the world, especally in pornography.

The Czechs are out as well. They are actually in worse shape then the US. Half their team is going to retire. The US will only lose a handful to retirement.

BallHawk
06-22-2006, 09:01 PM
The US shoud fire Bruce Arena's speech defecting, non-sub subbing, lack of managerial skills, ass. And by the way Landon Donovan...soooooo overrated, we had a chance at a very good penalty kick and he didn't get it near anyone, he kicked it out of bounds. And here's the problem with the U.S.....they don't have the balls to win. Nobody on that team can step up and make the whole team better. Not one. Everybody wants to play for their county, understandbly. But when it comes to the games, they want someone else to do the scoring.

The US in this tournament wasn't aggresive enough. To much passing back and to little shooting. 4 shots on goal IN THE WHOLE TOURNEY. I believe Spain had double that amount THE FIRST HALF OF ONE SINGLE GAME. And some dumbass after the game was saying how the U.S. needs more ethnicity in their team. What the U.S. needs is some players who have the guts to go out and play some real soccer, not the shitty soccer they play in the MLS, soccer how the rest of the world plays it. But first they need to fire Arenas.

And in terms of who I'm rooting for....

God save the Queen and Advance Australia Fair!

No Mo Moss
06-22-2006, 11:01 PM
Interesting. I think the MLS is a very good thing for the US to use for building depth. Some very good players have come from that league. Bobby Convey comes to mind. He was a great player in the MLS but after only one year in England he looks like twice the player he was. If over the next two years we can get more players in Europe, like Donovan, Adu, Johnson, Dempsey etc... then we can use the MLS for depth on the team while relying on the European players for the core. Bruce Arena is done. He did a lot for US soccer and we should be grateful, but his showing in this tourney was terrible. Its time the US gets a top flight coach.

What pisses me off most about this world cup showing isn't the losses. Its all the people who have done nothing but sit and wait to bash this team, finally getting to lash out. All of the fucking idiots on around the horn who know nothing about it trying to tell us all why soccer is never going to work in this country blah blah. 2010 should be a better showing.

MJZiggy
06-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Incredible match between Mex. and Argent. Was hoping for a different result, but really good, aggressive play.

HarveyWallbangers
06-26-2006, 12:54 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=372587&cc=5901

Funny! Apparently, FIFA will criticize a referee--unless he is involved with a USA loss. FIFA backed the questionable red cards given to the USA against Italy, and said nothing about the questionable PK given to Ghana.

BallHawk
06-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Cheating Italian Bastards.

No Mo Moss
06-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Australia Got fucked, no doubt about it. For those that didn't watch Italy was given a penalty kick in the 93 minute. Some would agree with it I suppose, but I'm not one of them. Great game though.

No Mo Moss
06-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Tarlam, are you still mourning the loss?

No Mo Moss
07-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Italia

Germany 0-2 Italy: Azzurri's late, late show
Reuters

Jurgen Klinsmann's World Cup dream was destroyed by two Italy goals at the end of extra-time as Fabio Grosso and Alessandro Del Piero struck to secure a place in the final.

Photography/GettyImages
Commanding form: German keepre Jens Lehmann

Klinsmann's Germany team seemed to be an unstoppable force, heading for Sunday's showpiece in Berlin.
But, with the semi-final less than two minutes away from a penalty shoot-out, Grosso fired Italy into the lead in the 119th minute.
Arsenal keeper Jens Lehmann, outstanding all tournament, could do nothing to keep out the curler from the left-back.
A minute later and substitute Del Piero made it two, sending delirious Italy into their first World Cup final since 1994.
Marcello Lippi's team celebrated on the pitch as the whole of Germany sank to their knees.
The World Cup hosts were starting to believe in Klinsmann's team, who had been dismissed as no-hopers before the competition kicked off.
They had been thrashed by 4-1 by Italy in a friendly on March 1 but this was always going to be a much tighter contest.
There was a backdrop of ill-feeling to the game because the German camp had accused Italy of promoting TV evidence that Torsten Frings had thrown a punch in the fracas which followed their quarter-final win against Argentina.
Frings had indeed thrown a punch and was duly suspended from the semi-final as a result.
Italy were still without Daniele de Rossi, serving the last of his four-match ban for cutting Brian McBride with an elbow in the group stages.
Tempers simmered in the electric atmosphere of Dortmund's Westfalen Stadion and the semi-final never seemed far from a flashpoint.
Players from both teams dived and over-reacted to the slightest bit of contact.
Michael Ballack often seemed happy to tap the ball to one side and fall over the nearest opponent.
It would be nice if he could copy his national team manager Klinsmann and drop the diving habit when he moves to England.
Italy kicked the ball out for an injured player and Germany refused to give it back. Twice Italian players refused to shake German hands.
New Chelsea signing Ballack started the game strongly and thought he had a penalty in the 16th minute.
The Germany skipper nodded the ball past Andrea Pirlo and the AC Milan midfielder lifted an elbow to block it.
He was inside his own box but Mexican referee Benito Archundia missed the offence.
Italy almost took advantage of Germany's distraction. Francesco Totti split the defence with a long pass. English-born Simone Perrotta latched onto it but his touch let him down and Lehmann smothered the chance.
Germany's best chance of the first-half fell to Bernd Schneider, who burst onto a pass from Miroslav Klose.
Schneider caught his shot sweetly but it rose over the bar, helped by a fingertip from Gianluigi Buffon.
Twice Fabio Cannavaro denied Lukas Podolski with superb blocks and the German striker wasted a good chance when he volleyed wildly over from 10 yards.
Klose carved through the Italian defence early in the second half but Buffon sprinted from his line to make a brave save at his feet.
Podolski then made former Everton defender Marco Materazzi seem rooted to the spot with a quick turn and shot.
Buffon stood firm at the near post and beat it away. Arne Friedrich raced onto the rebound and crashed it into the stands.
The hosts had dominated the second half but Totti almost caught them napping in the 85th minute.
His clever chip found Perrotta but Lehmann sprinted out to punch the danger clear and take the game into a thrilling 30 minutes of extra-time.
Lehmann was saved by his woodwork when substitute Alberto Gilardino skipped past Ballack in the area and beat the Arsenal keeper with a miskicked shot.
It struck the foot of the post and rolled across the face of goal.
Gianluca Zambrotta rattled Lehmann's crossbar a minute later with a ferocious 20-yard effort.
Podolski headed hopelessly wide when unmarked in front of goal and Buffon then made a flying save to frustrate the Cologne youngster again.
Lehmann turned a screamer from Pirlo round the post but he could do nothing to keep out Grosso's effort. Pirlo threaded a perfectly-timed ball into the box to the full-back who bent it first time past the sprawling Lehmann.
Germany piled forward in search of the equaliser but Gilardino slipped a pass to Del Piero and he scored the second with the last kick of the game.

Rastak
07-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Australia Got fucked, no doubt about it. For those that didn't watch Italy was given a penalty kick in the 93 minute. Some would agree with it I suppose, but I'm not one of them. Great game though.

I thought it was a bad call myself. Italy-Germany was an interesting match. Boring in spots but both teams, and moreso the Italians had some great chances and the winning goal was well struck. Exciting game in the end.

No Mo Moss
07-04-2006, 11:46 PM
The stakes are so high now that a 0-0 game is still very exciting. Teams are very pensive in the first half. I'm sure GErmany wishes they would have attacked more than they did. I am really looking forward to France vs Portugal. I want France to win. Zidane has been incredible. Italy vs France would be great.

MJZiggy
07-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Well, it all boils down to France v. Italy. I wish Tarlam were here.

No Mo Moss
07-06-2006, 01:30 PM
What a story for France and Zidane.

For those of you not familiar with Zinedine Zidane, here's his deal.

He currently plays for Real MAdrid as a club team, but he came out of International retirement to give it one more go with France. Zidane was the one who in 1998 gave france 2 goals in the final to play a major role in France's World cup victory in Paris of all places. His M.O. is that he is a master creator, not predictable at all. He plays offensive midfielder. He is great on the ball, very hard to steal from. If you have been watching you will see how much respet he gets from opposing teams. Typically offensive midfields enjoy the most success when they have a very good defensive midfielder to protect them. Its very much like the DT freeing up the LBers to make plays. Claude Makelele has been incredible behind Zidane, allowing him to stay up and make plays. Otherwise a great offensive mind is spending the entire game chasing down the ball in the defensive third.

Enjoy watching him play, he is already a legend. If France wins he will certainly be in the same sentence as Maradona and Pele in regards to the best ever conversation. At the very least he is the greastest player Europe has produced in the history of the sport.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/ZEDB.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
07-06-2006, 01:59 PM
France and Italy can both suck it. I don't want either to win. Nice racist, domestic leagues they have.

Tarlam!
07-08-2006, 05:22 AM
Well, it all boils down to France v. Italy. I wish Tarlam were here.

Thanks, Ziggy. I am up to my eyeballs in aligators. I'm actually sitting in my statistics class while I type this.

Just popped by to say hi!

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2006, 07:48 AM
are they teaching you how to lie with statistics? Should come in handy.

HarveyWallbangers
07-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Glad to hear from you, Tarlam.

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2006, 08:07 PM
So is everybody gonna watch soccor tomorrow, just as if it was a football Sunday?

ARe we supposed to root for the old french guy who is really good?

MJZiggy
07-08-2006, 08:36 PM
I'll be watching. I haven't chosen my loyalties yet. They shift with every game. There's something that doesn't happen with football.

BallHawk
07-08-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm rotting for France. Italy are cheating bastards, and are in the middle of a huge scandal. Yes, France and the U.S. aren't best friends as of now, but It'd be good to see Zidane go out with a win. That and If France wins it will piss of Bill O'reiley. :mrgreen: Suffer shithead.

HarveyWallbangers
07-08-2006, 08:48 PM
I don't know. It's like the Bears and Vikings are playing in the Super Bowl for me.

Tarlam!
07-09-2006, 07:06 AM
I don't know. It's like the Bears and Vikings are playing in the Super Bowl for me.

Great comparison!

But I'm with FRance after Italy cheated out my first team and got lucky on my second. Bottom line is, they knocked me out of the Cup twice! i hope they get drilled.....

Nice to see Germany win 3rd.

Bretsky
07-09-2006, 08:32 AM
So is everybody gonna watch soccor tomorrow, just as if it was a football Sunday?

ARe we supposed to root for the old french guy who is really good?

I can't stomach over 15 minutes of soccer.

What's with off sides in soccer anyways ? Silly Rule IMO. Kind of like saying in football, the WR can't go further than the DB until after the catch.

Soccer is a grueling sport, takes incredible endurance...etc etc...I have nothing but respect for those who excel at it.......but to a fan like me it's just too frickin boring to watch guys run around for hours knowing there may be only one or two scores.

If that dam off sides rule would be eliminated there would be more scoring and excitement for the less than enthusiastic fan, which in reality is much of the USA.

BallHawk
07-09-2006, 09:04 AM
If you didn't have offsides in soccer it would be like the WR lining up in front of the line of scrimage in football. Most offsides are very close, but others are extremely obvious.

Bretsky
07-09-2006, 09:10 AM
In football the defense has to defend against players getting behind them; w/o offsides in soccer it would be the same.

MJZiggy
07-09-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm still new at this, but I think the rule is designed to keep one guy from hanging around down by the opposite goal, taking the long pass and taking cheap shots with no help for the goalie. Kinda like if in basketball one guy always stood by the basket.

Bretsky
07-09-2006, 10:25 AM
I'm just saying it's a stupid rule and eliminating it would make a bland sport (to the average fan) more exciting.

Eliminate this and there are more strategies. Maybe a team would have to focus on keeping a defender back. Either way it opens more up for scoring.

In basketball if they keep one player back for the easy shot then they are short one on defense. Each way it's a give and take.

I'm sure the soccer purists will have good reasons for why my belief is crap; but for those who find the sport incredibly boring this should raise the scoring and make it more exciting.

B

Harlan Huckleby
07-09-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm still new at this, but I think the rule is designed to keep one guy from hanging around down by the opposite goal, taking the long pass and taking cheap shots with no help for the goalie. Kinda like if in basketball one guy always stood by the basket.

But the offsides rule could be modified. You could still prevent people from hanging-out in the penalty box. Limit how far ahead a pass could be made to an offsides person, in some fashion similar to hockey.

Deputy Nutz
07-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Italy WINS>>>>>>>

My God was that exciting.

What am I going to do for the next 4 years?????

MJZiggy
07-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Can you believe Zidane's exit???? What was he thinking???

What would have happened if they tied? Just wondering?

Fosco33
07-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Can you believe Zidane's exit???? What was he thinking???

What would have happened if they tied? Just wondering?

That was amazing. I wonder if the fans at the stadium knew what occurred - they sure booed the Italians enough afterwards.

Imagine Favre getting ejected during the Superbowl - how insane was that??

And yes, what would happen if they were tied 4-4 at the end of the PKs - would they do another 5 or go one for one? Harv/No Mo???

MJZiggy
07-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Not just getting ejected during the Superbowl, but knowing he was going to retire at the end of the game and getting tossed out because he lost his head!! I wonder if the fans in the stadium got to see the replay that we saw at home. What do you think of the offsides on Italy's second goal? Is offsides only in relation to the player the ball was passed to? I didn't think he was offsides, but whoever was running next to him was--barely.

Fosco33
07-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Not just getting ejected during the Superbowl, but knowing he was going to retire at the end of the game and getting tossed out because he lost his head!! I wonder if the fans in the stadium got to see the replay that we saw at home. What do you think of the offsides on Italy's second goal? Is offsides only in relation to the player the ball was passed to? I didn't think he was offsides, but whoever was running next to him was--barely.

True (on Brett) - but I'd be willing to bet that if we're fortunate enough to go to the Superbowl this year that it would be Brett's last game...

The offsides was close. The way I understand it (after watching like 10-15 games this Cup) is that it is based off the last defender's position at the point of the pass. Either way, I'm glad Italy won - especially after a weak initial goal by France, the offside call, Zadine's action - oh, and Italy is one of my home countries :smile:

HarveyWallbangers
07-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Shootout goes to one kick at a time after the first five. The offsides call against Italy was a good one. Two players were offsides--including the guy who got the ball. They changed the rule, so that a player can be offsides, but only if he has no affect on the play. The non-goal by American DeMarcus Beasley against the Italians used to be an automatic offsides, but now it would have been allowed if McBride hadn't interfered with the goalie. Funny that the USA tied and outplayed the champs. Most of these teams are so close that every game could go either way. It's hard to overcome two bad red card calls (USA vs. Italy) and a bad penalty kick call (USA vs. Ghana). There was a really bad foul early in this game on Italy. It was MUCH worse than the two fouls by the Americans that drew red cards vs. Italy. The Italian only got a yellow card--which was the right call. I got tired of non-American fans act like the red cards the USA got were legit--when you see worse fouls in every game not get carded.

BallHawk
07-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Actually, I believe that if it is tied after Pk's they go into golden goal, sudden death.

Thoughts from the Match

(1) What the **** was Zidadane thnking? Did he think he'd get away with it? What'd the Italian player say, "You're Mom's a whore?" and you get flustered up and get ejected when your team needs you. He owes the team and the fans more than that. It's sad that such a great player will go out on such a rotten play.

(2) The offsides by Italy was an offsides. France was fouled once in the box and it wasn't called.

(3) France outplayed Italy in that game. Now, Penalty Shootout is very exciting and keeps you on the edge of your seat, but it needs to go. It's a guessing game. You can whine all you want about how they can read the direction, and other bullshit. It's a guessing game. It would be in the NBA, in a tie game, the team's shoot three pointers to see who wins. And you could see Italy was playing for PK's. It is exciting, but it needs to go.

MJZiggy
07-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Italy WINS>>>>>>>

My God was that exciting.

What am I going to do for the next 4 years?????

When do the women play?

BallHawk
07-09-2006, 09:19 PM
When do the women play?

September 10-30, 2007 in China. It was originaly going to be held in China in 2003, but was moved because of the SARS outbreak.

MJZiggy
07-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks.

Harlan Huckleby
07-09-2006, 09:28 PM
When do the women play?

when their husbands are away.

HarveyWallbangers
07-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Actually, I believe that if it is tied after Pk's they go into golden goal, sudden death.

There is no golden goal anymore. They replaced it with a 30 minute OT where they play all 30 minutes (e.g. first goal doesn't automatically win it). Then they go to a shootout where each team gets 5 kicks. If it's still tied, they go one kick at a time.

They should bring back the golden goal. This new way is bunk.

Fosco33
07-09-2006, 09:39 PM

There is no golden goal anymore. They replaced it with a 30 minute OT where they play all 30 minutes (e.g. first goal doesn't automatically win it). Then they go to a shootout where each team gets 5 kicks. If it's still tied, they go one kick at a time.

They should bring back the golden goal. This new way is bunk.

It'd be like 5 field goals at 30 yards to decide the Superbowl.

MJZiggy
07-09-2006, 09:45 PM
They should alter the sub rules for overtime, then. These guys looked ready to die out there tonight.

Bretsky
07-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Just got home and wanted to thank foum for telling me Italy won. I see there was an offsides penalty somewhere.

PHOOEEYY to the offsides rule.

No Mo Moss
07-09-2006, 11:15 PM
A few thoughts on the game.

France received a PK early on, that was a bad call. Later in the game they were the victims of a bad no call in the box, so it evens out.
The PK shot by Zidane was brillant. HE either looks incredible or stupd for trying to lob the keeper in a PK. Major balls required on that one.

On the ejection:

I feel bad for him, but he should have kept his cool. I would love to hear what the Italian said to him. Zidane won a Cup for France in 1998 and lost one for them in 2006. I guess it evens out. He's still one of hte best players in history.

On the penalty kicks.

The analogy that PKs would be like kicking 30 yard field goals for a title is non-sense. I watch a lot of soccer and you have to remember a few things.

1. World Cup games are typically much lower scoring affairs then club teams in domestic leagues. W.C. games are like prize fights. There is so much at stake that you have to be very defensive early and late in the game. LEague games are much more free flowing because the coaches open things up a bit.

2. It requires such inventive brilliance to score against teams at this level. Unless you get a PK it is very difficult to break down defenses at this level. Two teams could play forever and never score again, that's just how it works. As the games go on and people get tired you would think the scoring would increase, however that is usually not a result of fatigue. Late goals are almost always due to moe and more players being sent on the attack. During ties teams hunker down. Its a nice notion to think you could just have two teams play until someone scores, but it just wouldn't work. That's why ties work in soccer. If you don't deserve to win, you don't. Knock-out matches however are tricky. Both teams went into that shoot-out believing they would win it. I'm sure France would have brought a lot more of an attack in OT given the end result.

Amazing cup, I can't wait until 2010.

Fosco33
07-09-2006, 11:31 PM
On the penalty kicks.

The analogy that PKs would be like kicking 30 yard field goals for a title is non-sense.

I'll take your word for it but from what I saw in all of the matches that went to PKs (and there were quite a few) - roughly 2-3 in 10 shots were actually blocked. Most placekickers make about 70-85% of field goals at 30 yards (that's a 40 yarder w/ the endzone - 47 including the snap/spot).

Seems like a fair comparison IMO.

No Mo Moss
07-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Field Goals are a one on nobody event. It would be a skills competition. PKs are very psychological. Ask England. Every great player has missed them too. A shot tthey can make a 100 different ways in their sleep. Its a lottery, but not a skills competition as your field goal analogy would suggest.

Also if ties were common in the NFL you would have to have some sort of tie-breaker. I'd rather have a shoot-out then have some asshole ref call a bogus 60 yard pass interference call resulting in a chip shot FG in OT. The NFL has serious issues with its OT. Its just the way it is.

No Mo Moss
07-09-2006, 11:44 PM
This is really interesting.

I don't have any credible sources yet but here's what I'm hearing about the Zidane sending. Apparently Matzerratzi (sp) made a racial slur targeted at Zidanes teamate Henry, who currently heads FIFAs efforts to combat such things with a very aggressive ad campaign.

If there is something to this, I'm sure it will be a huge story. If its true I feel differently about this. You can't lose your cool, but ouch, thats a tough one to walk away from.

Deputy Nutz
07-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Field Goals are a one on nobody event. It would be a skills competition. PKs are very psychological. Ask England. Every great player has missed them too. A shot tthey can make a 100 different ways in their sleep. Its a lottery, but not a skills competition as your field goal analogy would suggest.

Also if ties were common in the NFL you would have to have some sort of tie-breaker. I'd rather have a shoot-out then have some asshole ref call a bogus 60 yard pass interference call resulting in a chip shot FG in OT. The NFL has serious issues with its OT. Its just the way it is.

Your right, those 11 guys on defense coming at you to take off your leg don't mean anything.

Bottom line, I don't have a problem with the shoot out, other than the distance should probably be moved back when deciding a game after regulation and extra time.

Noodle
07-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Dang, Nutz, that's a pretty good idea. A 12 yard spot kick is just a guessing game for the keeper. But if you moved it to the 18, now that could be kind of cool. It would require way more skill from the shooters, and would reward the better-skilled keepers.

I'm betting that even if they took the kicks from the center spot, that bum Barthez for France wouldn't get a hand on half of 'em.

Tarlam!
07-10-2006, 03:34 PM
On the penalty question: If it's tied after 5, then 2 more from each side shoot. If it's still tied, then the first miss loses, but one attemp for both sides is compulsary.

On the Golden Goal: Penalties were the original method. The Goladen Goal, or, sudden death goal was introdueced to replace penalties, and, Gewrmany won a Euro Championship with it in England. Soon, it was deemed unsportmanlike and the Silver Goal was introduced; if a goal is scored in OT, the OT period is played out - if the goal was in the 1st OT period, no second OT period will be pülayed unless an equalizer is scored. This, too, was soon rejected so that the old penalty rule became the new penalty rule.

On Off side: The game is low scoring. Get used to applauding defense and goal tenders. Entire defsive schemes rely on off sides. Cancelling off sides in soccer is akin to prohibiting the defensive huddle in the NFL. The game is what it is. Americans don't like it. That's fine by the rest of the world - believe me.

On Zizou: What an IDIOT!

Fosco33
07-10-2006, 03:45 PM
This is really interesting.

I don't have any credible sources yet but here's what I'm hearing about the Zidane sending. Apparently Matzerratzi (sp) made a racial slur targeted at Zidanes teamate Henry, who currently heads FIFAs efforts to combat such things with a very aggressive ad campaign.

If there is something to this, I'm sure it will be a huge story. If its true I feel differently about this. You can't lose your cool, but ouch, thats a tough one to walk away from.

I read on a blog that it wasn't a slur against Henry but rather against Zidane's heritage (Muslim of Algerian descent).

BallHawk
07-10-2006, 04:15 PM
The NFL has serious issues with its OT. Its just the way it is.

The NFL should use the college OT system. It's fairer and more exciting.