PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy when asked "would you take him back?"

RashanGary
03-05-2008, 12:09 PM
MM was asked on Rome "If Brett changed his mind, would you take him back?"

MM responded by saying something like "I'm not going to get into that. This is a time to glorify his career".

Strange?

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Strange?

Why?

RashanGary
03-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Why would saying "Hell yeah we'd take him back" be diminishing or not glorifying his career?

sepporepi
03-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Strange?

Not at all.

Every answer would hav been wrong.

Say you want (take) him back, it will be reportad as "GB Head Coach has no confidence in Rodgers!"

Say you do not want him back, it will be reportad as "GB Head Coach glad Favre is gone!"

So really a no win situation, smartest thing not to answer
:P

Badgerinmaine
03-05-2008, 12:14 PM
MM was asked on Rome "If Brett changed his mind, would you take him back?"

MM responded by saying something like "I'm not going to get into that. This is a time to glorify his career".

Strange?
I don't think so. Why should he answer that until he has to? Giving no answer leaves him the option of saying "yes" later without looking like he's pulling the rug out from Aaron Rodgers today. He has to plan as if Favre meant it when he retired. Furthermore, any answer could upstage Favre on what should be a time to celebrate his career. To quote from every episode of Family Feud ever, "Good answer! Good answer!" :D

Badgerinmaine
03-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Why would saying "Hell yeah we'd take him back" be diminishing or not glorifying his career?

Because there is no phrase that makes the football media salivate more than "Quarterback Controversy". That would instantly become the main story instead of Favre's career.

RashanGary
I just wanted to take my turn stirring the pot. Bob "the liar" McGinn has had the patent on that lately so I was feeling a little left out.

MTPackerfan
that would be a tough one to answer without getting lambasted from someone

packinpatland
03-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Strange that it was even asked.......at that time.

The Leaper
03-05-2008, 12:34 PM
I think the best answer there is just to state that at this point, we have to approach things as if Favre is retired...and if that status changes in the future, that the Packers are open to considering all options at that time but not before.

gbgary
03-05-2008, 01:17 PM
everyone will miss Brett a ton but the future is now...we need to get on with it. we all cringed when majik went down and it kinda turned out ok...didn't it!? :D

Deputy Nutz
03-05-2008, 01:22 PM

It is a hell of a question to ask the head coach. Don't you want to know the answer? Sure glorify the career all you want, but I want to know how the organization would feel if Favre had a change of heart.

I didn't like McCarthy's response it seemed corny, personally I would have said,

"Brett Favre will always be a Packer in one way or another, and I don't want to sit here and second guess Brett's decision, he made up his mind to retire from the Packers and the NFL and we all respect his decision and understand his decision, As an organization we are now preparing the team and franchise for the 2008 season without Brett Favre."

See I do coach speak very well.

Partial
03-05-2008, 01:29 PM
I just wanted to take my turn stirring the pot. Bob "the liar" McGinn has had the patent on that lately so I was feeling a little left out.

Dude, you're such a hypocrite. All last season you had a man crush on Bob McGinn.

packinpatland
03-05-2008, 01:38 PM

It is a hell of a question to ask the head coach. Don't you want to know the answer? Sure glorify the career all you want, but I want to know how the organization would feel if Favre had a change of heart.

I didn't like McCarthy's response it seemed corny, personally I would have said,

"Brett Favre will always be a Packer in one way or another, and I don't want to sit here and second guess Brett's decision, he made up his mind to retire from the Packers and the NFL and we all respect his decision and understand his decision, As an organization we are now preparing the team and franchise for the 2008 season without Brett Favre."

See I do coach speak very well.

What I meant was, the press conference was called to announce Favre's retirement, and they ask ' will you take him back?'........seemed odd to me.

MadtownPacker
03-05-2008, 01:45 PM

Dude, you're such a hypocrite. All last season you had a man crush on Bob McGinn.Yeah, JH flip flops more then some sandals.

Carolina_Packer
03-05-2008, 01:46 PM
That's just McCarthy's style. He has never been one to get into speculation or guessing, and doesn't seem to deal much with hypotheticals. He deals with reality as he sees it, if you go by his pressers as history.

Lurker64
03-05-2008, 02:27 PM
I think it was the appropriate response. When he was asked that question, it was within 48 hours of finding out that Favre was retiring. That's not the time to talk about "is he coming back" or "what if he wants to come back." We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. There's no need to get into potentially wild and useless speculation at this point that probably won't help anybody.

I also find it strange that the media seems perplexed that McCarthy didn't try to persuade Brett to come back. Brett Favre has done enough for this organization that he has earned the right not to be second guessed when he comes to a decision about his future.

I think McCarthy has handled this exactly how he should have.

KYPack
03-05-2008, 03:39 PM
I think it was the appropriate response. When he was asked that question, it was within 48 hours of finding out that Favre was retiring. That's not the time to talk about "is he coming back" or "what if he wants to come back." We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. There's no need to get into potentially wild and useless speculation at this point that probably won't help anybody.

I also find it strange that the media seems perplexed that McCarthy didn't try to persuade Brett to come back. Brett Favre has done enough for this organization that he has earned the right not to be second guessed when he comes to a decision about his future.

I think McCarthy has handled this exactly how he should have.

You got it.

It was a double barrelled question.

However you answer it, you are hosed.