PDA

View Full Version : Tom Korth Managing Ed. PackerReport

packinpatland
03-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Was just on the NFL channel.........he thinks Favre will be back.

PackerBlues
03-05-2008, 01:16 PM

Whenever anyone brings up the idea of Favre coming back, I think about Micheal Strahan last year, and others in previous years. It seemed like he (Strahan)simply wanted to avoid the pre-season work, and go straight to the games that mattered.

I know that Favre has mentioned in the past that he wanted out of some of the off-season/pre-season workouts/practices/meetings. I recall that he even mentioned that he wanted out of one last year for some special event of his daughters. I believe that Thompson and M3 took a hard nosed approach and told him to be there, or else.

This is the only reason I can relate to that I would think that Favre would pull such a stunt. But what does that say about him if that is what he is doing? What kind of person would he be to do such a thing to Aaron Rogers? Whatever his reasons, I hope that he stays retired. I have to much respect for him to ever want to answer those questions, or to read or hear speculation about such questions.

FavreChild
03-05-2008, 01:17 PM
He thinks Favre will be back....based on what??

Deputy Nutz
03-05-2008, 01:31 PM

Whenever anyone brings up the idea of Favre coming back, I think about Micheal Strahan last year, and others in previous years. It seemed like he (Strahan)simply wanted to avoid the pre-season work, and go straight to the games that mattered.

I know that Favre has mentioned in the past that he wanted out of some of the off-season/pre-season workouts/practices/meetings. I recall that he even mentioned that he wanted out of one last year for some special event of his daughters. I believe that Thompson and M3 took a hard nosed approach and told him to be there, or else.

This is the only reason I can relate to that I would think that Favre would pull such a stunt. But what does that say about him if that is what he is doing? What kind of person would he be to do such a thing to Aaron Rogers? Whatever his reasons, I hope that he stays retired. I have to much respect for him to ever want to answer those questions, or to read or hear speculation about such questions.

Unless Favre has a change of heart in the next two weeks, I feel the same way. I have too much respect for Favre and my expectations of him are too high to hope he may play the "should I stay retired, or should I come back" game.

By the way Favre wanted out of a mini camp to prepare for his daughters graduation party, not the actual graduation.

packinpatland
03-05-2008, 01:34 PM
He thinks Favre will be back....based on what??

He cited reasons like, his competiveness, good physical shape, top of his game, yada yada.....

The Leaper
03-05-2008, 02:15 PM
There are some TELLING things in Peter King's article on the subject:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/03/04/favre.king/index.html?eref=si_writers

You could hear it in his voice today: The strain of being Favre won over the love of the game.

"I don't know if I could get myself ready again," he said. "I probably could. I was talking to Ted and Mike this morning and I said I probably could get myself ready again. But honestly, I don't know if I want to. It's the stress of preparing and all that stuff. I don't know ... I don't know."

So, he doesn't know...but he retired?

This is precisely why I'm not convinced the guy is done yet. He's making a decision far too early on this. OF COURSE he's tired. A run like Green Bay put together last year was no doubt very taxing on Favre...and he hasn't been under that level of stress in awhile. That is the entire reason the NFL offseason stretches six months...not one. Yet Favre believes he can make that decision a final one...even when he openly admits to King that he DOESN'T KNOW?!?

What if he isn't so tired 3 months from now? What if a few more months of R&R on the homestead is enough to revitalize the juices? It doesn't sound like Favre is even convinced that he won't think otherwise 2 or 3 months from now.

Again...I'm not convinced this is some kind of mental burnout where Favre is finished, done, kaput. This is NORMAL mental fatigue that any worker in any profession faces from time to time when they have a large task to undertake. You get fatigued...so you take time to recover and regroup. Favre is a little more than a month removed from completing that task...it isn't crazy that he's still feeling the effects from an emotionally draining season. He hasn't given himself a full chance to recover yet.

Just about every retired NFL QB talks about the strong pull back to the game...and Favre's love for the game is as great or greater than all those guys we've heard from. When Aikman or Simms discuss their own questions as to Favre's retirement, they speak from EXPERIENCE...an experience that they've already gone through and none of the rest of us have. They KNOW what he is going to feel in a few months...and knowing Favre as they do, they realize the pull of the game that has consumed his entire life is going to be difficult to ignore when you KNOW that you haven't left every drop of sweat out on that field of play...as Favre openly admits to.

Scott Campbell
03-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Maybe Favre doesn't want to be this year's Tiki Barber.

Fritz
03-05-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm thinking of retiring from Packerrats...but when that pre-season euporia begins, I'll probably come out of retirement. I'm just tired of the off-season blanks, when the JSO has no new articles for days on end...It's a mental strain is what it is.

Fred's Slacks
03-05-2008, 05:28 PM

That aired yesterday and I think it was recorded before the announcement. I think he was just predicting what he thought Favre's decision was going to be, not that he was going to change his mind.

Merlin
03-06-2008, 08:35 AM
I think that the people that have worked with him, are closest too him, are the best indicators of whether or nor he stays retired.

We haven't heard a whole lot from his teammates on the subject with the exception of Rodgers, and I think a blurb from Koren Robinson. Supposedly Nall & Driver are close to Favre. I would imagine Clifton & Tauscher probably know him well. His family was quoted to say that they figured he would retire. I think it was his brother Scott who said the Philadelphia playoff loss and the last Giant loss really took a toll on him. I share Mike Sherman's view on Favre. I figured they would have to drag him off the field and that it will be very hard on him at least the first year.

We have all had decisions that have haunted us in our lives. The ol' "What If" questions that haunt us daily. We know that Favre is an emotional guy and that he leaves it all out there at whatever he does. Can he handle the "What If" question in his mind long enough so that he knows he can no longer play the game? He definitely can still play and until he knows he can't still play I think his life will be at the very least "uncomfortable" to live.