PDA

View Full Version : Jets Spending Spree

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Kind of funny.

Anonymous Jet veterans upset about team's spending spree

The free-spending Jets are one of the biggest topics of discussion in the NFL, but there are two sides to every story. While they have generated excitement by acquiring four big-money players, some of the team's returning veterans are looking at the bundles of cash and wondering, "When do I get mine?" "You pay guys you don't even know, and the guys in the locker room - the guys that have your back - you don't give a damn about them," one player said Tuesday, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "It shows where the loyalty is." -- NY Daily News

Tyrone Bigguns
03-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Kind of funny.

Anonymous Jet veterans upset about team's spending spree

The free-spending Jets are one of the biggest topics of discussion in the NFL, but there are two sides to every story. While they have generated excitement by acquiring four big-money players, some of the team's returning veterans are looking at the bundles of cash and wondering, "When do I get mine?" "You pay guys you don't even know, and the guys in the locker room - the guys that have your back - you don't give a damn about them," one player said Tuesday, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "It shows where the loyalty is." -- NY Daily News

It won't matter how much they spend if they don't have the right guy pulling the trigger.

RashanGary
03-05-2008, 03:51 PM
The Jets will be like the Cardinals of a couple years ago and the 49ers of last year. Spend a shitload of money and then lose to teams that are doing it the right way.

PackerBlues
03-05-2008, 03:55 PM
http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 8:58 a.m. EST, March 5, 2008

VETERAN JET GRUMBLING ABOUT SPENDING SPREE

In 2007, Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum acknowledged that "[t]here are consequences" to spending big money in free agency.

And he didn't know how right he was.

An anonymous Jets veteran (cough . . . Laveranues Coles . . . cough) has sounded off regarding the recent splurging.

"You pay guys you don't even know, and the guys in the locker room -- the guys that have your back -- you don't give a damn about them," the unnamed player told Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News. "It shows where the loyalty is."

Meanwhile, Tannenbaum says that building through the draft is "still our core belief and philosophy."

Let's face it, Tannenbaum and the Jets are caught between a team in their own division and a team in their own town -- the Pats and the Giants.

Observed one media insider: "Signing a declining Damien Woody from a bad Detroit [offensive line] and then changing his position might be the single dumbest move this year. Trading [linebacker Jonathan] Vilma for very little may be the second, although I'm not sure about his knee. And he has no clue what to do with [defensive tackle Dewayne] Robertson.

"He ignores the fact that the Giants signed one low-level [free agent] last year and let him go this year. They won because six draft choices contributed a lot. Tannebaum, who was a money man until he convinced [owner] Woody Johnson that he knew football, can't draft as well as [Giants G.M.] Jerry Reese."

The Giants are the toast of New York, the Patriots are the kings of the conference, and in our view the Jets are merely just another mediocre team that is trying too hard escape from quicksand.

twoseven
03-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Tell that player to request a trade to the Raiders where he'll be guaranteed to be overpaid.

Jets are trying to make a bold push now. None of the guys they signed were gonna come cheap. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Tell that player to request a trade to the Raiders where he'll be guaranteed to be overpaid.

Jets are trying to make a bold push now. None of the guys they signed were gonna come cheap. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Their team has to many holes to fill to make a bold move now. No, it's not damned if you do, damned if you don't. You rebuild it and then worry about the Damien Woodys in a couple of years.

twoseven
03-05-2008, 04:02 PM
"He ignores the fact that the Giants signed one low-level [free agent] last year and let him go this year. They won because six draft choices contributed a lot. Tannebaum, who was a money man until he convinced [owner] Woody Johnson that he knew football, can't draft as well as [Giants G.M.] Jerry Reese."

I will admit that the NYJ draft for shit, but someone remind me again, what year did the Giants draft Plaxico Burress, I forgot.

Minus Burress, do the Giants beat Green Bay last January?

twoseven
03-05-2008, 04:06 PM

Their team has to many holes to fill to make a bold move now. No, it's not damned if you do, damned if you don't. You rebuild it and then worry about the Damien Woodys in a couple of years.
I don't remember my saying they were making the right move.

RashanGary
03-05-2008, 04:08 PM
I will admit that the NYJ draft for shit, but someone remind me again, what year did the Giants draft Plaxico Burress, I forgot.

What's your point? Every team uses UFA. It's the ones that use it the most that tend to suck.

twoseven
03-05-2008, 04:33 PM

What's your point? Every team uses UFA. It's the ones that use it the most that tend to suck.

What your point Justin? Looking to start a petty argument with anyone that doesn't subscribe 1000% to your man love for TT and his way of doing things? Give it a rest. Your non-stop repetitve here's the only way things should be done vibe are just one opinion of very many here.

Fritz
03-05-2008, 05:27 PM

Agreed JH. Teams that rely on signing big name free agents to make a splash usually only make a splash in the offseason.

Someone posted John Clayton's last season's Free Agent team winners: the Niners and the Dolphins were high on that list.