PDA

View Full Version : Aikman expects 2nd thoughts from Favre

Brando19
03-05-2008, 03:51 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/03/05/aikman.favre.ap/index.html

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Troy Aikman says it's a sure thing: Brett Favre will have second thoughts about hanging up his helmet.

The Hall of Fame quarterback knows how hard it is to walk away from the NFL and never look back. Even after a series of concussions led Aikman to retire from the Dallas Cowboys after the 2000 season, he was tempted to come back two years later.

"I was ready to go and had talked with my wife and everything about it," Aikman told The Associated Press by phone.

Aikman figures Favre will feel the same pull the closer the 2008 season gets. And he wouldn't be surprised if Favre changes his mind and sends heir apparent Aaron Rodgers back to the bench.

"You want to walk out on top," said Aikman, now an analyst for Fox Sports. "But at the same time, you're walking away from something you really enjoy."

Favre told the Green Bay Packers he was retiring Tuesday, but hasn't addressed the media beyond brief voice mails, citing fatigue as the main reason.

Aikman is looking forward to hearing the three-time MVP fully explain his decision. He wonders if Favre will give himself any wiggle room, similar to Michael Jordan's famous assertion that he was "99.9 percent" sure he was done playing after retiring from the Chicago Bulls in 1999. Jordan, of course, came back to play for the Washington Wizards.

Aikman isn't the only one who expects Favre to question his decision.

"I think he'll definitely have second thoughts, knowing him," former Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman said. "He's a creature of habit."

Favre even broached the subject in his conversations with Packers coach Mike McCarthy on Monday night, when he first brought up his intention to retire.

"We talked about the reality that he'll experience," McCarthy said. "And he was telling me about the conversation he'd shared with a family member about when the games start in the fall, it's going to probably hit him the hardest."

But as far as McCarthy is concerned, Favre wasn't waffling.

"I would say that's all speculation," McCarthy said. "Not based on the conversations I've had with Brett."

Packers general manager Ted Thompson said Favre seemed "at peace" with his decision when he made it final in a conversation with Thompson on Tuesday morning.

"But as I've also said, it's a very complicated decision process that he has go to through on this," Thompson said. "I guess you never say never, but I wouldn't anticipate that."

Aikman knows firsthand that retirement isn't necessarily permanent. He fully intended to return to the NFL two years after he retired from the Cowboys, only to have his prospective new team -- he won't say which one -- pull the plug on the deal at the last minute.

"They were hesitant, for whatever reason, whether it be the health issue, the concussions, or how it would be perceived publicly," Aikman said.

All things considered, Aikman said it was just as well.

"I was glad it didn't work out, in hindsight," he said. "The team didn't have as good a year as I expected."

And perhaps Favre is better off retiring, too.

"When you start giving this much thought to retirement, I think that is a pretty good indicator that it's time," Aikman said.

Sherman, now the coach at Texas A&M, figures Favre will struggle to stay away from football, but eventually will settle into a new routine.

"Once he makes it through that first year, he'll be OK after that," Sherman said.

But what if he doesn't make it that far?

Packers chairman emeritus Bob Harlan said "somebody would find a place for him" if Favre called the Packers in July saying he wanted to play. But Harlan doesn't expect that to happen.

"I would assume he's given this a lot of thought, and I've always felt (wife) Deanna would have a lot to say about it when the time came," Harlan said.

Harlan said it would be a shame to see Favre try a halfhearted comeback similar to that of late Packers defensive end Reggie White. He actually retired three times -- once briefly before the 1998 season, once after he changed his mind and played for the Packers in 1998, and then for good after one unremarkable season with Carolina in 2000.

"We've always seen a lot of great, great athletes who decide to try that one more year and it's a disappointment," Harlan said. "I've always felt badly that Reggie came back and played that year at Carolina because he wasn't the same Reggie White. And I think it'd be very sad to see that this wasn't the same Brett Favre. He has been so magnificent. He went out on top: great season, great team record. It's a great way for him to exit and add to his legacy."

The Leaper
03-05-2008, 04:08 PM
I agree 100% with Aikman...and also want to point out that Aikman is one of the few guys who actually has experience dealing with what Favre is going through. His word means 100 times more than anyone else's IMO.

When Favre tells Peter King four times in three sentences that "I don't know" in regards to 2008, I'm not sure how he can say he is 100% certain he wants to retire.

Scott Campbell
03-05-2008, 04:15 PM
I agree 100% with Aikman...and also want to point out that Aikman is one of the few guys who actually has experience dealing with what Favre is going through. His word means 100 times more than anyone else's IMO.

When Favre tells Peter King four times in three sentences that "I don't know" in regards to 2008, I'm not sure how he can say he is 100% certain he wants to retire.

Aikman was forced into retirement by concussions. The decision was made for him for the most part.

The Leaper
03-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Aikman was forced into retirement by concussions. The decision was made for him for the most part.

Yeah...but he left football before his physical talents were fully diminshed, and still considered coming back after he retired despite the concussions.

Favre has openly admitted to Peter King that he doesn't really know what his real feelings are pertaining to 2008 yet...other than he was tired. He also openly admitted that he still feels he has the ability to play at a high level.

IMO, that is a pretty dangerous combination to be making a retirement decision on when you take the statements of former QB greats into account...such as Simms, Aikman, Young, etc.

Freak Out
03-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Troy had taken to many shots to the head.

Scott Campbell
03-05-2008, 04:40 PM

Yeah...but he left football before his physical talents were fully diminshed, and still considered coming back after he retired despite the concussions.

Favre has openly admitted to Peter King that he doesn't really know what his real feelings are pertaining to 2008 yet...other than he was tired. He also openly admitted that he still feels he has the ability to play at a high level.

IMO, that is a pretty dangerous combination to be making a retirement decision on when you take the statements of former QB greats into account...such as Simms, Aikman, Young, etc.

He's a 38 year old man that's been contemplating retirement for most of this decade. It's not for me to second guess the guy.

The Leaper
03-05-2008, 04:45 PM
He's a 38 year old man that's been contemplating retirement for most of this decade. It's not for me to second guess the guy.

Reggie White did the same thing...and he came back.

There are plenty examples of NFL players, as well as athletes in other sports, that have greatly struggled with this decision.

No NFL player is ready to strap it up for the next season on March 4th...so why would Favre consider that to be the point of no return for himself?

I'm not second guessing that he is mentally worn out right now. I'm sure he is. I'm second guessing that his fatigue is permanent, and won't start to wear off as the spring and summer wear on. That's when the "I know I can still play" comment will start to haunt him.

I don't really care if he comes back or not. I'm happy either way at this point. I'm happy to move on with Rodgers...or I'm happy to see Favre give it one last go. The team is in a good position for the future either way.

MJZiggy
03-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Sad but true, the last few years he's been playing with the kids in Miss. If he wants to have a ball in his hands without all the pressure, he has places to go.

b bulldog
03-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Every QB has pressure on them, it must be more than that.

MJZiggy
03-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Every QB does not have pressure the way Favre has pressure. Green Bay is fueled by the Packers in a way that no other team experiences and Favre is the face of it all--to everyone in town and beyond, it all comes down to him. Every decision is framed in how it affects him, everything he does is scrutinized beyond belief and I don't blame him for not wanting the weight of the mood of an entire city resting on him.

Brando19
03-05-2008, 08:53 PM
I wonder if places such as Brett Favre's Steakhouse will still flourish in Green Bay? I hope so.

b bulldog
03-05-2008, 09:10 PM
BS, how much pressure was on the Pats last season?? They had the pressure from an entire country and the scandal that went along with it. They failed but I bet most of them that are still there will be chomping at the bit to came back and try to redeem themselves.GB is a small fish bowl but the pressure we put on our players is tiny to what Eli has dealt with in NY or Elway dealt with in Denver. These guys are all under a big amount of pressure, that is why they get paid so damned much. Rex grossman is under a great deal of pressure, TJack in Minny will be under a great deal of pressure, ect, ect ect.

b bulldog
03-05-2008, 09:12 PM
One more thing, I would have thought the pressure would have been lessened with the emergence of Grant and all of the viable threats he had on offense. I still think that there has to be something else because the Favre I know, wouldn't stop competing because he is afraid of failure.

Merlin
03-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Maybe it just is what it is. Favre never searched for media attention so it is like him I suppose to retire as he has. Sherman probably knows him well and is probably has the best analysis. The first year is going to sting for Favre, after that he can settle in, but I doubt it. I think it will take a few years for him to surface again after retiring.

Although knowing the competitor Favre is, we can all agree that we never thought the day would come because of the high level he has played at for as long as he has.