PDA

View Full Version : NEWS BREAK

ND72
03-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Just heard on the NFL Network on Satilite Radio, Green Bay Packers have reached a verbal agreement with Trent Green.

Bretsky
03-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Nothing to get excited about; but nonetheless a good move I guess

If true our free agency has already been more successful than last year

Joemailman
03-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Not sure what his health situation is (concussions), but if healthy, that would be a sensible move. Just the type of solid vet they need to backup Rodgers.

Scott Campbell
03-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Well, he's younger than Brett. Barely.

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2008, 08:21 PM
I'd rather have Quinn Gray or even David Carr, but maybe he's a good mentor.

Bretsky
03-05-2008, 08:28 PM
I'd rather have Quinn Gray or even David Carr, but maybe he's a good mentor.

Completely agree on this; I actually was quite intrigued by Quinn Gray. Not sure what Trent Green really adds but an old injury prone stiff.

But I'm still fine with any signing we have.

hawaii50
03-05-2008, 08:32 PM
trent green plus a developmental qb that we draft in april....works for me

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Trent Green is older than me. We'll both be 38 soon. Unfortunately, he's not a athletic freak like Favre, so he broke down a couple of years ago. He's gone from a being decent NFL QB to pretty much useless. Again, maybe he can be a good mentor. He won't win many games at this point in his career. It's not a bad signing though. If he's not playing, he can't get any concussions.

I can see it now though. Both Rodgers and Green are going to get hurt.

Brett Favre starts every game for 17 NFL seasons.

I'd say the odds of both Rodgers and Green getting injured this year are better than 50/50.

Bretsky
03-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Trent Green is older than me. We'll both be 38 soon. Unfortunately, he's not a athletic freak like Favre, so he broke down a couple of years ago. He's gone from a being decent NFL QB to pretty much useless. Again, maybe he can be a good mentor. He won't win many games at this point in his career. It's not a bad signing though. If he's not playing, he can't get any concussions.

I can see it now though. Both Rodgers and Green are going to get hurt.

Brett Favre starts every game for 17 NFL seasons.

I'd say the odds of both Rodgers and Green getting injured this year are better than 50/50.

Older than you ? Shit, why didn't we just sign you :lol:

Thompson raced to sign the oldest dude in the NFL to dissuade Favre from thinking of returning..........LOL

I'M JUST KIDDING

BallHawk
03-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Trent Green? C'mon. If you're gonna sign a dude to be a mentor/backup why don't we just go ahead and give the Majik Man a shot? He's only in his mid 40s, he can still fling the ball.

hawaii50
03-05-2008, 08:56 PM
i'm assuming mccarthy must have coached green back in his kansas city days. familiarity with mccarthy and the offense is probably a big reason why they want him.

ND72
03-05-2008, 08:57 PM
McCarthy would have been out of KC WAY before Trent Green was there.

Brando19
03-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Maybe they're signing a sucky QB so when Favre announces his intentions to return...Rodgers will be a solid backup for another year and we can trade Green for a 7th rounder?! 8-)

Merlin
03-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Trent Green knows he won't come in and be the starter. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't pick up another FA/Cap Casualty QB and one in the draft before training camp. Good arm, accuracy, but isn't as "smart" as Brett when it comes to reading defenses. The big plus is that he comes from a long career in the AFC from a team that went through poor running years like Green Bay.

For what it's worth, Troy aikman thinks Favre will be back by training camp. Basically, once that time of year starts to roll around, he will go nuts knowing he still has a shot to win a super bowl. Personally, I think he will be back to. The way this whole thing went down was just weird. People are coming out of the woodwork stating how much the Giants game is still bothering him. Favre is an emotional guy and I am sure that last pass is haunting him. Once he gets over that, I think he will want to come back. You can only mow your yard so many times.

Harlan Huckleby
03-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Gawd. Is it painful to cut him if he doesn't work out?

Packers4Ever
03-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Trent Green knows he won't come in and be the starter. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't pick up another FA/Cap Casualty QB and one in the draft before training camp. Good arm, accuracy, but isn't as "smart" as Brett when it comes to reading defenses. The big plus is that he comes from a long career in the AFC from a team that went through poor running years like Green Bay.

For what it's worth, Troy aikman thinks Favre will be back by training camp. Basically, once that time of year starts to roll around, he will go nuts knowing he still has a shot to win a super bowl. Personally, I think he will be back to. The way this whole thing went down was just weird. People are coming out of the woodwork stating how much the Giants game is still bothering him. Favre is an emotional guy and I am sure that last pass is haunting him. Once he gets over that, I think he will want to come back. You can only mow your yard so many times.

Where did you hear Troy Aikman make this comment? One of the current football discussions today?
It's starting to sound possible....

Joemailman
03-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Aikman has said he expects Favre to have second thoughts. So do I. I'm not aware of Aikman saying he expects Favre to be back by training camp.

Ballboy
03-05-2008, 09:55 PM
PFT.COM:

POSTED 8:44 p.m. EST, March 5, 2008

TRENT GREEN VISITS RAMS by Michael David Smith

Free-agent quarterback Trent Green visited the Rams today, and in comments to the local media he sounded very much like a man who would like to re-join his former team.

Green, who grew up in the St. Louis suburb of Oakville and spent two seasons with the Rams, said he feels a pull toward St. Louis. He's familiar with the city, the team, and the coaching staff, including new offensive coordinator Al Saunders and new quarterbacks coach Terry Shea, both of whom were on the staff in Kansas City when Green played for the Chiefs.

"There definitely is," Green said, per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "The familiarity of the town. The fact that this would put my wife and I close to both our families. Al [Saunders] being back; knowing the offense the way I do. Terry Shea. There’s a lot of familiar faces."

Green has also visited the New Orleans Saints, and he has reportedly drawn some interest from the Green Bay Packers and New York Giants. But IT sounds like St. Louis is the place he'd most like to finish out his NFL career.

"I’m trying to be as impartial as I can," Green said. "Trying to making the best decision for what’s good for the family and my career. Opportunity to win, and all those things. So I’m trying to take the emotion out of it, although it is very difficult. Because I do think fondly of the city and the fans here. And I have great memories of the organization. All those things weigh into it."

Despite having two serious concussions in the last two years, both of which left him carried off the field on a stretcher, Green said recently that he has been medically cleared and expects to play somewhere in 2008.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gbgary
03-05-2008, 09:56 PM
http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/Yawn.gif

Bretsky
03-05-2008, 09:57 PM
It would be funny if the Packers signed Joey Harrington

We'd almost need to have Tank for for a day as an honorary guest :lol:

ND72
03-05-2008, 10:21 PM
It would be funny if the Packers signed Joey Harrington

We'd almost need to have Tank for for a day as an honorary guest :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Joemailman
03-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Just heard on the NFL Network on Satilite Radio, Green Bay Packers have reached a verbal agreement with Trent Green.

They could have had Testaverde. The youth movement continues! :lol:

Freak Out
03-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Trent Green! Holy shit....the times they are a changin! Gray must have wanted to much $$$...plus he could start for some teams. Hopefully he never sees the field.

Deputy Nutz
03-05-2008, 10:52 PM
You sign Gray and there might be a QB controversy, you sign Green, nobody will ever expect him to start unless Rogers goes down, Rodger could play like the old fuck with the TV show and nobody will be calling for Trent Green.

Freak Out
03-05-2008, 10:56 PM
You sign Gray and there might be a QB controversy, you sign Green, nobody will ever expect him to start unless Rogers goes down, Rodger could play like the old fuck with the TV show and nobody will be calling for Trent Green.

Maybe...but if Rogers goes down I want to still have a chance.....with Green its just a matter of time. How long do you think he'll last behind Colledge?

Freak Out
03-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Well...I see nothing out there that indicates we did sign Green so maybe it's not true.

gbpackfan
03-06-2008, 07:18 AM
I check all the rumor sites a couple times a day (pathetic, I know) and I have HEARD nothing to indicate that Green has agreed to come play for GB. I have HEARD nothing about Green even coming in for a visit. The Packers have expressed some interest, but that is about it. And who knows if that is even true.

ND72
03-06-2008, 07:32 AM

There would be no QB controversy, Aaron Rodgers is the guy.

Deputy Nutz
03-06-2008, 07:49 AM

There would be no QB controversy, Aaron Rodgers is the guy.

Sure until he has 3 bad games in a row and then everyone starts pointing to the Younger Gray and all his potential. I am not talking controversy in the preseason or during training camp, I am talking about it when there are bumps in the road during the season. The same thing happened to Brett early in his career with Mark Brunell.

Rodgers will be the man, but don't think that he won't draw the wrath of Packers fans with a few bad games strung together.

KYPack
03-06-2008, 08:22 AM

Ya mean Red Green?

Trent Green would be the best mentor/teacher guy out there. He's basically stayed in the league with his mental approach to football. On the physical side, all those concussions are a worry. Green is a candle. One good blow and he's out.

It's shitty we have to have these discussions. For so many years, I've never really focused on who is the back-up because it really didn't matter. Now it does & that's another sad part of this whole deal.

Merlin
03-06-2008, 08:23 AM

Where did you hear Troy Aikman make this comment? One of the current football discussions today?
It's starting to sound possible....

Not "specifically" that time ""As the season gets closer, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he changes his mind," said Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman". The "basically" part of my statement should have finished the sentence, not started the next. Thats's my interpretation of a time frame based upon our knowledge that Favre hates OTA's and mini-camps. you have to think he will think about it everyday for at least through the next season if not longer.

packrat
03-06-2008, 08:50 AM
They may as well sign as many as they can to have as many options as possible tied up--nothing wrong with training camp competition and let the best man win. It would be a mistake to pass on Green thinking they are going to get someone else and then if they don't to find Green is gone.

red
03-06-2008, 09:10 AM
i still can't find any confirmation

twoseven
03-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Green is visiting with the Rams today, pretty sure he hasn't agreed to anything with us, otherwise why the trip to STL?

Fritz
03-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Sign Don Majkowski. Give him a chance to get his job back.

Deputy Nutz
03-06-2008, 02:16 PM

Ya mean Red Green?

Trent Green would be the best mentor/teacher guy out there. He's basically stayed in the league with his mental approach to football. On the physical side, all those concussions are a worry. Green is a candle. One good blow and he's out.

It's shitty we have to have these discussions. For so many years, I've never really focused on who is the back-up because it really didn't matter. Now it does & that's another sad part of this whole deal.

No Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood, anyways I am not so sure that Aaron Rodgers needs a mentor/teacher. He has already had three years of understudy from Favre. Rodgers has always had a pretty decent work ethic but he learned how to approach the game while watching Favre.

woodbuck27
03-06-2008, 04:03 PM
I feel TT made a decent move there if it's true.

I just forget my history on Trent Green now ( bad injury before he left KC and was signed by the Dolphins) but he was a QB, two seasons ago that I ranked in the top six in the NFL.

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2008, 04:56 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=725073

The success of the Packers in the post-Favre era will be building strength in other areas so that there isn't pressure on Rodgers to be Favre.

"I think Ted (Thompson) has done an excellent job developing and building that team," Angelo said. "They have a great foundation. I have a lot of respect for what they did last year. You don't pretend to fill Brett Favre's shoes. You just have to be better in other areas. Ted knows that."

Spielman also thinks the Packers aren't dead in the water without Favre.

"Mike (McCarthy) and Ted have done an excellent job," he said. "They knew that eventually Brett would not be there. They have a good defense and a good young receiving corps and a running back in (Ryan) Grant."

"Favre is a legend and everybody knows he's a Hall of Famer. But the Green Bay Packers will be a good team with or without him."

Freak Out
03-06-2008, 05:01 PM

The success of the Packers in the post-Favre era will be building strength in other areas so that there isn't pressure on Rodgers to be Favre.

"I think Ted (Thompson) has done an excellent job developing and building that team," Angelo said. "They have a great foundation. I have a lot of respect for what they did last year. You don't pretend to fill Brett Favre's shoes. You just have to be better in other areas. Ted knows that."

"Mike (McCarthy) and Ted have done an excellent job," he said. "They knew that eventually Brett would not be there. They have a good defense and a good young receiving corps and a running back in (Ryan) Grant."

"Favre is a legend and everybody knows he's a Hall of Famer. But the Green Bay Packers will be a good team with or without him."

Spot on.

GoPackGo
03-06-2008, 05:22 PM

I just forget my history on Trent Green now ( bad injury before he left KC and was signed by the Dolphins) but he was a QB, two seasons ago that I ranked in the top six in the NFL.

Trent Green will not be a Packer-
Apparently he's deciding on between being a backup in New Orleans or St. Louis

I don't want The Pack to consider a QB with Concussion issues anyways.

Harlan Huckleby
03-06-2008, 05:28 PM

Trent Green will not be a Packer-
Apparently he's deciding on between being a backup in New Orleans or St. Louis

I don't want The Pack to consider a QB with Concussion issues anyways.

I hope you're right. HE's brought in to be a security blanket - but what security is there in a guy with concusion history?

Iron Mike
03-06-2008, 10:43 PM

Spot on.

Yep. Like, the Bears personnel guys are soooooo awesome at spotting talent. :roll: