PDA

View Full Version : Brett Speaks about retirement Live 11 am CST

Chubbyhubby
03-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Favre To Discuss His Decision To Retire From NFL Thursday At 11 A.M. CST

posted 03/05/2008

Retired Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre will discuss the decision to "hang up his cleats" on Thursday, March 6, 2008, at 11 a.m. CST.

Packers.com will broadcast this press conference in its entirety and free of charge, LIVE from Lambeau Field.

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2008/03/05/1/

GrnBay007
03-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Will ESPN air this?

well, I mean will they be showing it live?

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm not sure of the plan for showing the PC, but I would be shocked if it wasn't at least shown live on ESPNEWS.

FavreChild
03-06-2008, 10:07 AM
It will be on ESPN as a SportsCenter special.

They are now reporting that Brett's plane is delayed, so the presser won't be until 11:30 Central.

Badgerinmaine
03-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Is it just me, or is looking in on that scene a little like looking at the chairs in front of an open casket at a funeral home? All we need is some treacly organ music to make it complete. :(

Freak Out
03-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Not very many people are there?

sepporepi
03-06-2008, 11:27 AM
It's a press conference not Fan Fest :twisted:

Chubbyhubby
03-06-2008, 11:28 AM
It was just reported that the Packers will have $35 million + left in Cap space and was asked directly if the Packers are going sign any Free agents and they said flat out No. Ted Thompson doesn't believe it that and only drafts players.

So I was thinking maybe with the 35 million TT and M3 will throw a mega Party!! Any thoughts?

Freak Out
03-06-2008, 11:31 AM
It was just reported that the Packers will have $35 million + left in Cap space and was asked directly if the Packers are going sign any Free agents and they said flat out No. Ted Thompson doesn't believe it that and only drafts players.

So I was thinking maybe with the 35 million TT and M3 will throw a mega Party!! Any thoughts?

Party on Garth!

Harlan Huckleby
03-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Favre announces return to Packers!

Harlan Huckleby
03-06-2008, 11:37 AM
oh no, not again, here come the tears. why do this? wait a few weeks.

Rastak
03-06-2008, 11:38 AM
oh no, not again, here come the tears. why do this? wait a few weeks.

He puts Dick Vermeil to shame.

I have a feeling he'll cut this short.

Harlan Huckleby
03-06-2008, 11:38 AM
madtown is crying right now too, I know it.

http://welcomeconsumer.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/george_lopez_sad.jpg

red
03-06-2008, 11:39 AM
wow, this is rough

gbpackfan
03-06-2008, 11:40 AM
I dont know about you guys, but Im crying like a baby right now. Wow, this is tearing me up.

Pacopete4
03-06-2008, 11:44 AM
he wears his emotions on his sleeves to the end...

denverYooper
03-06-2008, 11:45 AM
yeah, when he came out and started crying, the waterworks started here.

Freak Out
03-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I want to be at the game where he is honored! That should be the posters game.

Badgerinmaine
03-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Wow. No wonder he has a box of tissues next to him. I should have one, too. :cry:

Harlan Huckleby
03-06-2008, 11:51 AM
I was at a diner yesterday where (name dropping alert) Brian Calhoun comes in offseason, and he said he and other Lions players are doing back flips over Favre's retirement. They are really relieved that he is out of the division.

Rastak
03-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Overall, he did a pretty good job. I bet he wasn't looking forward to this press conference.

oregonpackfan
03-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Back to the press conference. Sure, Fare was emotional but it was genuine emotion he displayed. Favre has been genuine about everything he has done with and for the Packers.

I thought he was candid, sincere, and covered all the areas that needed to be covered.

He's a true professional to the very end.

denverYooper
03-06-2008, 12:10 PM
One of the reporters just asked Brett what he's going to do to whet his appetite for competition now that he's done with football.

Duh... Brett's going to play touch football in his wranglers in a field.

denverYooper
03-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Back to the press conference. Sure, Fare was emotional but it was genuine emotion he displayed. Favre has been genuine about everything he has done with and for the Packers.

I thought he was candid, sincere, and covered all the areas that needed to be covered.

He's a true professional to the very end.

Yeah, and hopefully this will quell a lot of the speculative BS that's been piled high and deep over the last few days.

Cheesehead Craig
03-06-2008, 12:16 PM
He also came out pretty quick and stopped all the rumors that TT and MM did not do enough to help him stay.

The fun left football and it became too much of a job for him. He was never about that, he realized it and is walking away. Kudos for that.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Am sitting at one of the computers in my class at school, so I can't watch the conference, can someone summarize the key stuff he talked about.

swede
03-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Am sitting at one of the computers in my class at school, so I can't watch the conference, can someone summarize the key stuff he talked about.

Bedard is blogging it at JSO.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/

Rastak
03-06-2008, 12:23 PM
He had an interesting quote before this press conference, something to the effrect of "as we won more and more games last year the pressure grew"

He also stated "It's a bit of a relief to not have to live up to other peoples expecations as well as my own".

He sounds burned out and retiring was probably the best thing for him.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-06-2008, 12:23 PM

Bedard is blogging it at JSO.

ok thanks.

swede
03-06-2008, 12:24 PM
I added a link above.

Jimx29
03-06-2008, 12:29 PM
when did Brett buy flavor-flavs wall clock and decide to wear it as a watch?? :lol:

Freak Out
03-06-2008, 12:44 PM
He had an interesting quote before this press conference, something to the effrect of "as we won more and more games last year the pressure grew"

He also stated "It's a bit of a relief to not have to live up to other peoples expecations as well as my own".

He sounds burned out and retiring was probably the best thing for him.

I agree. It was his time to go.

Rastak
03-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Very classy press conference albeit long. He seems like the kind of guy who will disapear from the public view starting this afternoon.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-06-2008, 01:06 PM
I was at a diner yesterday where (name dropping alert) Brian Calhoun comes in offseason, and he said he and other Lions players are doing back flips over Favre's retirement. They are really relieved that he is out of the division.

The last person to be doing backflips is calhoun...hasn't he fucked up his legs enough?

MadtownPacker
03-06-2008, 01:08 PM
He aint changing his mind.

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2008, 01:10 PM
I actually laughed out loud when Favre started crying. I think it was a natural reaction to keep me from crying too. It was a good press conference. He said the right things. I laughed when he said "I thought about wearing a suit. I thought about shaving." You'd probably have to watch it, but it was funny to me.

Fritz
03-06-2008, 01:33 PM
I laughed when he said the bit about the shaving.

I also agree that he was very mature, considered, and genuine. I think that press conference should put to rest all the BS rumors about him not getting enough love, etc, etc. That was a man who was just plain tired, had thought long and hard, and has really thought it through.

I see a man who has grown and matured over the years. He's a real man.

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2008, 01:38 PM
I see a man who has grown and matured over the years. He's a real man.

You wonder if the maturity actually hurt his game. The stress of being Brett Favre and carrying a franchise sounds like it's been weighing on him. Also, he works harder than ever, but takes less enjoyment out of wins. All of that has made it a burden to play rather than a joy--like it was in his younger days. That probably came about because he's more aware and caring as a person.

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 01:40 PM
He aint changing his mind.

I don't think he will either...but he's going to be busting a nut in doing so. There is a reason why he's going into hiding for a year...he knows he can't look at a football or he might hyperventilate.

Merlin
03-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Unfortunately I have been in phone conferences all day so I was unable to listen to it live. I am listening to the POD cast now. Favre was being who he is as usual. He was as emotional as anyone should expect. I would think any Favre fan is emotional over this decision.

He is running high on emotions right now. Will he be back? Probably not but it isn't outside the realm of possibility by any means. His emotions may cause him to get back into it, time will tell. Either way, I personally have enjoyed the past 3-4 seasons and look at them as a bonus. If he played this season it would just have been an extension of that bonus to me.

swede
03-06-2008, 03:28 PM
A friend just called me, laughing. he was driving home and saw a guy's Packer flag being flown at half mast.

woodbuck27
03-06-2008, 03:34 PM
He also came out pretty quick and stopped all the rumors that TT and MM did not do enough to help him stay.

The fun left football and it became too much of a job for him. He was never about that, he realized it and is walking away. Kudos for that.

Brett Favre is way too classy to go there.

Favre is also a realist and he was in it to get to the Super Bowl. He gave all he had last season and it didn't happen. How could any of us or any Packer fan realistically, expect more this season?

We couildn't so realistically and intelligently Favre retires.

The only hope we had of anything different was his love for the game and competeing. At the end of the day that not enough weighed against getting to the Super Bowl.

I called this retirement some time ago. If he had returned I felt that would be an error for Brett FAVRE. He goes out on top with the season he had in 2007. Not many of the GREATS end it there or on top in their position and status. Favre's 2007 definitely a statement of his skills, work ethic and preparation or dedication to the team and coaching staff.

Still seeing that announcment of his retirement on the sports here in Montreal, almost sent me to screaming Nooo! I was numb.

I am going to miss Brett Favre like few of my past sports hero's. Well, he was my favouritwe. He was the REAL deal. Itr hurts like HELL to see him leave our team but that was the best move for Favre.

Good Bye Brett.

I LOVE Yaa Man.

PACKERS FOREVER!

Partial
03-06-2008, 03:34 PM
If football didn't require you being in great shape, I'd say he takes an entire year off and comes back playing the next year.

woodbuck27
03-06-2008, 03:39 PM
If football didn't require you being in great shape, I'd say he takes an entire year off and comes back playing the next year.

I don't see Favre returning.

That is one very straight up individual and he's done.

Jimx29
03-06-2008, 03:53 PM
A friend just called me, laughing. he was driving home and saw a guy's Packer flag being flown at half mast.Well then I guess i'm not alone in having my Packers license plate hung upside down in mourning :?

Jimx29
03-06-2008, 04:01 PM
how come packers.com doesn't have the whole video ready for download yet? :?

I haven't got all minute ya know

Harlan Huckleby
03-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Today's news conference reminded me of the day that Roy Roger's horse Trigger died. Supposedly many grown men wept. The only time manly men are allowed to cry is when a cowboy's horse dies or a pro quarterback retires.

What's wrong with you weepy fools?? A sniper's bullet did not strike the man down. He's a really nice guy, an extremely entertaining athlete. This hero worship is over the top. And Favre droned on and on like his retirement was a great loss to the world.

I think its cool that Favre cried. I find the fans crying to be like teenage girls at a Beatles concert.

Harlan Huckleby
03-06-2008, 04:34 PM

The last person to be doing backflips is calhoun...hasn't he fucked up his legs enough?

He says his leg is 100%, I have a similar knee injury, we compared notes. :hrt: Guess I have a man crush on Calhoun. Too bad about the racial thing.

Freak Out
03-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Today's news conference reminded me of the day that Roy Roger's horse Trigger died. Supposedly many grown men wept. The only time manly men are allowed to cry is when a cowboy's horse dies or a pro quarterback retires.

What's wrong with you weepy fools?? A sniper's bullet did not strike the man down. He's a really nice guy, an extremely entertaining athlete. This hero worship is over the top. And Favre droned on and on like his retirement was a great loss to the world.

I think its cool that Favre cried. I find the fans crying to be like teenage girls at a Beatles concert.

You can try and hide your emotions Smiley but I'm not buying it. You haven't changed out of your jammi's or left the house since he announced his retirement. You've probably been stuck in that vicious cycle of depression that involves whiskey and ice cream. Tough guy.

Harlan Huckleby
03-06-2008, 04:41 PM
You haven't changed out of your jammi's or left the house since he announced his retirement. You've probably been stuck in that vicious cycle of depression that involves whiskey and ice cream.

true enough - but its just an ordinary day.

Freak Out
03-06-2008, 04:43 PM
You haven't changed out of your jammi's or left the house since he announced his retirement. You've probably been stuck in that vicious cycle of depression that involves whiskey and ice cream.

true enough - but its just an ordinary day.

Say hello to Lovie Howell for me! Living the dream.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-06-2008, 04:46 PM

He says his leg is 100%, I have a similar knee injury, we compared notes. :hrt: Guess I have a man crush on Calhoun. Too bad about the racial thing.

Black and white love..so progressive.

(trying to remember that song about that...something like louie louie lou why)

KYPack
03-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Man, Didn't get to watch 'til tonite.

That was emotional. It was so real, so raw.

No bullshit from the guy we all know so well, it just got you in the heart.

Shook me up a bit & I didn't expect to have that reaction.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Man, Didn't get to watch 'til tonite.

That was emotional. It was so real, so raw.

No bullshit from the guy we all know so well, it just got you in the heart.

Shook me up a bit & I didn't expect to have that reaction.

It shook me up a little too when I got to watch it. Being 21, he is the only QB I have ever seen play for GB. It's been hard the last couple days. Definitely the end of an era.... :|

Fosco33
03-06-2008, 07:30 PM

Brett Favre is way too classy to go there.

Favre is also a realist and he was in it to get to the Super Bowl. He gave all he had last season and it didn't happen. How could any of us or any Packer fan realistically, expect more this season?

We couildn't so realistically and intelligently Favre retires.

The only hope we had of anything different was his love for the game and competeing. At the end of the day that not enough weighed against getting to the Super Bowl.

I called this retirement some time ago. If he had returned I felt that would be an error for Brett FAVRE. He goes out on top with the season he had in 2007. Not many of the GREATS end it there or on top in their position and status. Favre's 2007 definitely a statement of his skills, work ethic and preparation or dedication to the team and coaching staff.

Still seeing that announcment of his retirement on the sports here in Montreal, almost sent me to screaming Nooo! I was numb.

I am going to miss Brett Favre like few of my past sports hero's. Well, he was my favouritwe. He was the REAL deal. Itr hurts like HELL to see him leave our team but that was the best move for Favre.

Good Bye Brett.

I LOVE Yaa Man.

PACKERS FOREVER!

Well said, Ed.

I just got to watch the PC. I'm actually catching more on ESPN that they cut some stuff off - but he spoke from the heart and I think he means what he says. All we have is his word - which has been 100% in the past.

I don't see any way he comes back - he knows that he left it all on the field and on his own terms. And I'm fine with that decision - after this career - it's always difficult to call it quits. I'm glad I was able to watch every game - every snap - every good/bad play and all the memories. I'm thankful I was able to see him live many times - and I'm glad I made the trip to his last one.

He's been my hero for the last 15 years - and his actions and my memories will continue to serve his heroic status in my eyes. Even if he wants to come back - I hope he doesn't. There is nothing to prove! He's the best. I wish him well.

Iron Mike
03-06-2008, 10:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exl0oSfTSoY

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2008, 11:18 PM
It shook me up a little too when I got to watch it. Being 21, he is the only QB I have ever seen play for GB. It's been hard the last couple days. Definitely the end of an era.... :|

I kind of feel bad for the really young fans. I'm sure you were a big fan of the Packers when you were young, but it's hard to remember or appreciate things when you're like 10 years old. Favre was still very good in his 30s, but he was out of this world good in the mid 90s. He may have played better in a 3-4 year stretch than any QB has played in history.

Harlan Huckleby
03-06-2008, 11:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exl0oSfTSoY

I always thought that was Rod Stewart.

Funny how many thousands of songs are swimming around in our heads. This is a good song haven't heard in 25 years.

Scott Campbell
03-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Outside of Lou Gehrig, this might be the finest retirement speech I've ever heard.

Scott Campbell
03-07-2008, 09:36 AM
I called this retirement some time ago.

Gee - congratulations.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I called this retirement some time ago.

Gee - congratulations.

:)