PDA

View Full Version : I just watched the Cowboy game again

RashanGary
03-06-2008, 07:33 AM
POSITIVES:

He threw the ball with zip. His passes tended to be just slightly behind his WR's. Maybe the game sped up just a little more than he expected. They were all catchable and caught (at one point he completed 8 in a row), but more in the body than just leading like they should be.

He showed good escapability, making two nice runs for first downs and a couple times getting outside the pocket to complete passes.

He was getting pressured for the entire half he was in but he still managed to lead three scoring drives (two TD's and one FG) without making the big mistake or having a laundry list of excuses after the game for what went wrong.

Negative:

Rodgers' second throw of the game was a poor throw into coverage. Ware dropped back, Rodgers didn't expect it and he threw into coverage. It didn't get picked because Ware was laboring to get back, but it was a poor throw.

He slighty over threw Jennings on a 40 yd bomb down the left sideline.

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Aaron played very well in Dallas considering his lack of practice time and reps with the #1 offense.

Deputy Nutz
03-06-2008, 07:53 AM
All right for only seeing time in 4 regular season games as a back up. It is really hard to prepare for games with only getting a handful of snaps in practice during the week, and coming in cold as the backup.

Still not much you can really comment on that would be any indication of his ability as the starting QB in 2008, maybe his ability to run with the football.

gbpackfan
03-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Aaron will add something that Brett couldn't do the last couple of years. RUN! He can pick up a first down with his feet from time to time.

That being said, I still want Favre back. I miss him. :cry:

fan4life
03-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Bottom line: he didn't lead the team to a win. I'll get excited about Rodgers when he shows that he can be the difference between winning and losing.

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Bottom line: he didn't lead the team to a win. I'll get excited about Rodgers when he shows that he can be the difference between winning and losing.

The Packers scored more than the Cowboys when Rodgers was on the field. Isn't that the difference between winning and losing? Was it Rodgers' fault that Favre put him in a hole?

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2008, 10:45 AM
All right for only seeing time in 4 regular season games as a back up. It is really hard to prepare for games with only getting a handful of snaps in practice during the week, and coming in cold as the backup.

That's true, but it's also true that the Cowboys had no time to prepare for him either. The legends do it, year in and year out, even after teams have prepared for them. No game plan seems to work consistently against the elite. We'll see what happens when teams prepare for ARod. I liked what I saw, but we'll need to see how this shakes out. The injuries are what concern me the most.

Packgator
03-06-2008, 10:57 AM
I thought he exposed himself to hits that we aren't used to seeing our QB take. He's going to have to learn to avoid putting himself in those situations.....or come up with a better plan when he is in them.

cheesner
03-06-2008, 01:48 PM

That's true, but it's also true that the Cowboys had no time to prepare for him either. The legends do it, year in and year out, even after teams have prepared for them. No game plan seems to work consistently against the elite. We'll see what happens when teams prepare for ARod. I liked what I saw, but we'll need to see how this shakes out. The injuries are what concern me the most.
The advantage is definitely in the Cowboys favor. The offensive system, receive routes, plays, etc. Don't change. The only thing different is the QB can now run a bit. Does that really take that much of an adjustment for a defense to make? AR isn't exactly Vick back there.

AR had a great game against the Cowboys. This game was towards their apex and were the favorite to be NFC Champs. AR gave them a handful in a game the Packers were not the favorites.

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2008, 01:59 PM
The advantage is definitely in the Cowboys favor. The offensive system, receive routes, plays, etc. Don't change. The only thing different is the QB can now run a bit. Does that really take that much of an adjustment for a defense to make? AR isn't exactly Vick back there.

I don't see it that way. ARod had a chance to prepare for the Cowboys. The Cowboys didn't have a chance to prepare for ARod. It does make a difference. The Cowboys prepared for Brett and the types of throws he can make. They didn't prepare for ARod--especially his scrambling. The more film a player has out there, the tougher it is for them to succeed. That's why we see some guys play well for a couple of years and then fall off, but legends that dominte for 10-16 years aren't very common.

cheesner
03-06-2008, 02:59 PM

I don't see it that way. ARod had a chance to prepare for the Cowboys. The Cowboys didn't have a chance to prepare for ARod. It does make a difference. The Cowboys prepared for Brett and the types of throws he can make. They didn't prepare for ARod--especially his scrambling. The more film a player has out there, the tougher it is for them to succeed. That's why we see some guys play well for a couple of years and then fall off, but legends that dominte for 10-16 years aren't very common.
I agree Harvey, there is a definite advantage there for AR.

The flip side is that AR doesn't work with the first string offense all week. He devotes a portion of his time to studying the Cowboy offense so that he can run the scout team. Not taking any snaps with the 1st string 0ffense, working the plays, practicing the timed precision pass plays sure counts against a QB - especially one that has had very limited playing time.

fan4life
03-06-2008, 04:24 PM

The Packers scored more than the Cowboys when Rodgers was on the field. Isn't that the difference between winning and losing? Was it Rodgers' fault that Favre put him in a hole? Was it Favre's fault that Ryan Grant put the team in the hole in the Seattle game?

Rodgers came into a game and got some chances to score some points. But in the 4th qtr, couldn't make the plays to give his team the lead.

Until he does, I'll hold my enthusiasm in check.