PDA

View Full Version : Quinn to Packers pure speculation

KYPack
03-06-2008, 08:41 AM
In a story that has the same validity as a post on PackerRats, Florio at PFT has posted an article musing on the possibility that Brady Quinn may ask to be traded to the Pack.

In fact, I first saw this posed on here by someone.

Essentially the article raises the following points:

"PREDICTION: QUINN WILL ASK FOR GREEN BAY TRADE

Last April, quarterback Brady Quinn copied the unexpected draft-day round-one slide of quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Soon, we suspect that Quinn (or, at a minimum, his agent) will be clamoring to join Rodgers' current team.

Though he might be fooling himself into thinking that he's got a shot at winning the starting job this season, Brady Quinn is destined to open 2008 where he finished 2007 -- on the bench. After all, the Browns aren't paying Derek Anderson $8 million per year to hold his helmet next to his ear so that he can listen to the play be called in to the huddle.

More importantly, Quinn needs to get on the field in order to unlock the big-money incentives that his agent, Tom Condon, held him out of training camp in order to get.

And so while it might be unlikely that Quinn will demand a trade in his own voice, Condon could be contacting the Browns and asking them to explore the possibility of moving Quinn to Green Bay.

Quinn would surely welcome the move; it would give him a better chance at becoming the long-term starter, and it would put him on the same team with his brother-in-law, linebacker A.J. Hawk.

The problem? The Packers might want to give Aaron Rodgers a full and fair shot in 2008 at showing he can do the job (or, more importantly, proving he can stay in one piece) before looking elsewhere. And since the Browns have a high second-round pick and a 2008 first-rounder tied up in Quinn, the Browns would need to get a one and a two in order to justify trading Quinn less than a year after drafting him -- especially since the Browns would then be going "all in" with Derek Anderson.

But while we don't see anything like this happening in 2008, we don't rule it out for 2009, if Anderson cements his grip on the job in Cleveland, and if Rodgers fails to fill a sufficiently large portion of Brett Favre's shoes."

2009, yeah maybe, and Rodgers would have to flop for it come to fruition. The Pack would then have to move one of the contracts. Only one QB gets that # 1 money.

Mad already raised the point that Quinn just may be a nancy boy, & that would be a problem.

More PFT drivel, yeah, but this possibility gets brought up again and again.

Scott Campbell
03-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Assuming that Rodgers doesn't have a stranglehold on the starting spot, Green Bay might have the most coveted QB opening in the entire NFL.

red
03-06-2008, 09:08 AM
you should change the title to pure speculation, which is what florio admits it is

rumor makes it sound like it might actualy happen

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 09:27 AM
A. Going after Quinn would be a slap in the face to Rodgers, which is why Thompson won't even consider it.

B. Why would Green Bay be at the top of Quinn's list? He has a much better chance of starting with any of a dozen other teams. Granted, I know he is Hawk's brother-in-law...but is that any reason to make a decision on where you want to play?

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Assuming that Rodgers doesn't have a stranglehold on the starting spot, Green Bay might have the most coveted QB opening in the entire NFL.

I would think Rodgers has a stranglehold. He is a first round pick. He has spent 3 years learning the offense and position from Favre himself. He was Thompson's first draft choice in Green Bay. Both Thompson and McCarthy seem to have nothing but confidence in Rodgers.

There is nothing to suggest that Rodgers won't be the #1 starter through camp and the start of the season. The only way a backup is going to start in Green Bay this year is due to injury IMO...which certainly is still possible given Rodgers' history.

As such, I'm not sure the Green Bay #2 spot is the most coveted...there are other starters who have much less job security than Rodgers right now IMO, although the surrounding cast they are working with probably is far less than what is in Green Bay. If you want to have a realistic chance at starting, Green Bay won't be #1 on your list. If you want a realistic chance of being successful as a backup who is put into the starting lineup due to whatever reason, then I guess I could agree that Green Bay might be #1.

KYPack
03-06-2008, 09:34 AM
you should change the title to pure speculation, which is what florio admits it is

rumor makes it sound like it might actualy happen

When I read the story, I thought the same thing. "This ain't even good enough to be a rumor"

So I edited the title.

Pure preculation isn't accurate, more like pure shit.

cheesner
03-06-2008, 09:53 AM
B. Why would Green Bay be at the top of Quinn's list? He has a much better chance of starting with any of a dozen other teams. Granted, I know he is Hawk's brother-in-law...but is that any reason to make a decision on where you want to play?
Lots of better choices. Chicago, Minny, NYJ, WA. Actually, there are not as many as there usually is.

I don't want Quinn in GB. I think he can be a very good player and I would like to see competition at the position, but it may slow Rodgers down if he is looking over his shoulder. I have a lot of confidence in AR that he can get the job done. He won't carry the team as Favre has done in the past (at least not in the near future), but he will play well enough within the system to be successful.

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Lots of better choices. Chicago, Minny, NYJ, WA. Actually, there are not as many as there usually is.

Throw in TB, CAR, MIA, ARI, BAL, etc.

There are still a ton of teams either with likely open competitions for the #1 spot or where there is an entrenched #1, but he is injury prone/aging and likely to be out of the picture in the near future.

I wouldn't put GB in either category. Rodgers might have some injury concerns...but he isn't Jeff Garcia.

KYPack
03-06-2008, 10:30 AM

Throw in TB, CAR, MIA, ARI, BAL, etc.

There are still a ton of teams either with likely open competitions for the #1 spot or where there is an entrenched #1, but he is injury prone/aging and likely to be out of the picture in the near future.

I wouldn't put GB in either category. Rodgers might have some injury concerns...but he isn't Jeff Garcia.

Most of these teams could have drafted this kid. A year later they should all be after him? Why would he now be a hot commodity?

I think he's a good player, but how do you know?

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Most of these teams could have drafted this kid. A year later they should all be after him? Why would he now be a hot commodity?

I'm just listing places any QB would want to go to compete for a starting spot or backup up someone who doesn't have much time left in the league. I'm not saying Quinn is someone these other teams really want.

Quinn isn't going anywhere, no matter how much he whines. The Browns aren't entirely convinced on Anderson yet...so Quinn will be kept in the wings until they know for sure.

MacCool606
03-06-2008, 10:46 AM
I really don't understand why everyone seems to think that Quinn is that much better than Rodgers. Both were successful QB's in college, both were expected to be drafted high, then fell, neither has been a starter in the NFL.

Why is there more of a comfort factor with one over the other? Would we be in better shape going in to the 2008 season with Quinn as the starter? I think I'd be nervous about that too.

red
03-06-2008, 11:03 AM
I really don't understand why everyone seems to think that Quinn is that much better than Rodgers. Both were successful QB's in college, both were expected to be drafted high, then fell, neither has been a starter in the NFL.

Why is there more of a comfort factor with one over the other? Would we be in better shape going in to the 2008 season with Quinn as the starter? I think I'd be nervous about that too.

exactly

cpk1994
03-06-2008, 01:44 PM
A. Going after Quinn would be a slap in the face to Rodgers, which is why Thompson won't even consider it.

B. Why would Green Bay be at the top of Quinn's list? He has a much better chance of starting with any of a dozen other teams. Granted, I know he is Hawk's brother-in-law...but is that any reason to make a decision on where you want to play?NOt only that, but TT would be the village idiot having to pay that much money for QB's.

ND72
03-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Remember, Brady Quinn was politicking to get Cleveland to draft him cause it's his hometown #1 favorite team? Doubt he wants out.

Lurker64
03-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I think I'd rather have Quinn Gray than Brady Quinn, at least for 2008.

KYPack
03-06-2008, 03:07 PM

I'm just listing places any QB would want to go to compete for a starting spot or backup up someone who doesn't have much time left in the league. I'm not saying Quinn is someone these other teams really want.

Quinn isn't going anywhere, no matter how much he whines. The Browns aren't entirely convinced on Anderson yet...so Quinn will be kept in the wings until they know for sure.

Yeah, I know.

I am still wondering why Quinn didn't go a little higher. There were a few clubs that should have drafted him. Miami for one.

You are right, he's staying put. Cleve is paying for the two guys about what some teams are paying for one. They've got 2-3 years to make a choice.

Those 2 QB situations always turn out screwed up, tho.

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 03:11 PM
I am still wondering why Quinn didn't go a little higher. There were a few clubs that should have drafted him. Miami for one.

Miami drafted Ted Ginn. That should pretty much explain any questions you might have.

As questionable as some of Sherman's moves were...even he looks like a genius compared to some of the yahoos running these teams today.

Deputy Nutz
03-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Pretty ridiculous to even put those words into the internet. Grasping at straws and embarrassing themselves.

MJZiggy
03-06-2008, 06:24 PM

If I were a young QB, Green Bay immediately after Brett Favre retires is about the last place I'd wanna play. Those are some big shoes, both figuratively and literally.