PDA

View Full Version : When do you retire #4

red
03-06-2008, 11:29 AM
so when should the team retire his number and put his name up on the ring of fame?

i say, right away, first home pre season game

or hell, even have his own special occasion for it, like jordan had the first time in chicago

swede
03-06-2008, 11:34 AM
so when should the team retire his number and put his name up on the ring of fame?

or hell, even have his own special occasion for it, like jordan had the first time in chicago

How about letting Craig Nall wear number 4 for a while?

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 11:44 AM
I can't see doing that during a meaningless preseason game.

I also can't see doing it right away...give Rodgers and the team some time to escape Favre's shadow, and fans time to adjust to the situation.

My opinion? His epic start streak began on Sept 27th, 1992. I would prefer for the Packers to petition the NFL to have Sept 27th, 2009 be a home game for the Packers next season...and retire his number at that game 17 years to day after his streak began.

Harlan Huckleby
03-06-2008, 11:49 AM
How about letting Craig Nall wear number 4 for a while?

GREAT idea!

gbpackfan
03-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Should be this season. Not right away because we want Brett to be there. Opening day is A-Rods big day, let him have it.

Jimx29
03-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Ya can't be retiring something that very possibly could be need this, or even next year.

oregonpackfan
03-06-2008, 12:15 PM
No one will every wear #4 for the Packers again just like no one will ever wear #'s 66, 5, 15, etc. again for the Packers.

I think honoring him at the last home game of next season would be a good time. Forget about the pre-season. The proper setting would be a regular game.

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2008, 12:23 PM
No one will every wear #4 for the Packers again just like no one will ever wear #'s 66, 5, 15, etc. again for the Packers.

I think honoring him at the last home game of next season would be a good time. Forget about the pre-season. The proper setting would be a regular game.

#92 will be probably never get worn again either. One offensive and one defensive player from each championship team.

gbgary
03-06-2008, 12:56 PM
When do you retire #4

immediately!! but he said he doesn't want to do anything for a year so it's on his timetable. dang he's gonna be missed!!

MadtownPacker
03-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Yeah Deanna said not public appearances, even the softball game, for one year so I think that means 2009 season.

cpk1994
03-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Yeah Deanna said not public appearances, even the softball game, for one year so I think that means 2009 season.

I think she was referring to charity work, of which the softball game is aaprt. One Sunday appearnce, I don't think they would turn that down(Not that I think the Pack would ask him this year anyway). 2009 would be better becuase seeing as how Mike Holmgren would be retired, he could be there for it as well.

PackerBlues
03-06-2008, 02:22 PM

so do you think that Favre retired because Deana has him p-whipped? :shock:

jk

ND72
03-06-2008, 02:34 PM

Packers have the same rule as the NFL when it comes to retired players, they wait 5 years (Larry McCarren said on TV last night).

His exact quote was, "Five years from now when he's eligible, you can bet #4 will be up on the wall"

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 02:38 PM
#92 will be probably never get worn again either. One offensive and one defensive player from each championship team.

Reggie's number already has been officially retired...on Sep 18, 2005. There is no probably about it.

BF4MVP
03-06-2008, 02:43 PM
As soon as possible..#4 deserves to be up there along with #3, #14, #15, #66, and #92..

ND72
03-06-2008, 02:45 PM
While we're kind of on the subject, would anyone like to see us put our numbers in numerical order? :lol: donno if anyone noticed, but they're not.

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 02:46 PM
While we're kind of on the subject, would anyone like to see us put our numbers in numerical order? :lol: donno if anyone noticed, but they're not.

Are they in order of their retirement? That would be OK with me.

BF4MVP
03-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Haha, I guess I don't really care..They look good the way they are 8-)

gbgary
03-06-2008, 06:11 PM

Packers have the same rule as the NFL when it comes to retired players, they wait 5 years (Larry McCarren said on TV last night).

His exact quote was, "Five years from now when he's eligible, you can bet #4 will be up on the wall"

well blow-up that rule as far as the Pack is concerned. do it whenever he's ready!! if it's tomorrow, do it tomorrow.

KYPack
03-06-2008, 06:36 PM

How about the Bear game or the Alumni game in 2009?

BF4MVP
03-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Pete Dougherty of the Press Gazette speculates that Favre's number will be retired early next season.

From Packersnews.com:

Favre presumably will be making at least one trip to Green Bay this year, probably sometime early in the season when the Packers retire his number. The franchise has retired the number of only five players — Don Hutson (14), Tony Canadeo (3), Bart Starr (15), Ray Nitschke (66) and Reggie White (92). When they added White's No. 92 to the façade on the north end at Lambeau Field, the Packers arranged the numbers so they could add Favre's No. 4 and have the numbers centered under the scoreboard. They also have a Favre jersey in storage that will hang in the team's trophy room when they retire his number.

Packers4Ever
03-08-2008, 04:58 PM
I can't see doing that during a meaningless preseason game.

I also can't see doing it right away...give Rodgers and the team some time to escape Favre's shadow, and fans time to adjust to the situation.

My opinion? His epic start streak began on Sept 27th, 1992. I would prefer for the Packers to petition the NFL to have Sept 27th, 2009 be a home game for the Packers next season...and retire his number at that game 17 years to day after his streak began.

Leaper, that's a while to wait yet, but an excellent idea !!

MJZiggy
03-08-2008, 06:19 PM
That is good, Leaper. I wonder who we write to to get that done. I bet they'd make that one a prime time game. Ratings bonanza!

Little Whiskey
03-08-2008, 08:56 PM
I heard an interesting tidbit on the radio. once they retire bretts number, no one will ever wear the number 4 for any of the 3 major sports teams in wisconsin.

wisconsin and the number 4 have done pretty well.

Tony Oday
03-09-2008, 11:03 AM
I dont think they should retire his jersey. Honestly I think every starting QB in GB should have to wear #4 :)