PDA

View Full Version : another question

red
03-06-2008, 12:03 PM
this should be a good one, and a good debate

should there be a bronze statue of favre standing next to lombardi and lambeau in front of the atrium?

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 12:09 PM
should there be a bronze statue of favre standing next to lombardi and lambeau in from of the atrium?

No...just as I wouldn't put a statue of Starr or Hutson or any other former Packer player in front of Lambeau.

Favre's statue will be in Canton in 5 years. I think that is plenty good enough.

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2008, 12:22 PM
I'd be fine with it. There will be something. We have Lambeau Field, Hutson Center, and Nitschke Field (and others).

cpk1994
03-06-2008, 01:46 PM
I'd be fine with it. There will be something. We have Lambeau Field, Hutson Center, and Nitschke Field (and others).But those arn't statues. No statue, but if they wnat to name something in honor of Brett, Im all for it.

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I have no problem with the statue. With the state this franchise was in when he got here, he's been as important as anybody to the franchise in the last 40 years. Who says they have to stay with 2 statues? Put a statue of Brett at the south entrance to Lambeau. You could put Bart up at the same time.

Freak Out
03-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Favre was the face of this Franchise for damn near all of his career and I would be fine with it. He may not be fine with it but I think most Packer fans are.

twoseven
03-06-2008, 02:04 PM
IMO, getting his number retired and his name in the Ring of Honor to me is the highest honor that can be given to him by Green Bay, and it should be enough at Lambeau Field. Quite a few GB HOF legends do not have these things. A lot of winning football and a lot of titles (11) happened in a span of over 70 years before Brett ever came to GB. One player should not be recognized above all the others at hallowed Lambeau Field. Somewhere else in GB or near the field, absolutely.

Brett said as much in his retirement speech today. He wanted proper recognition for all of his achievements, records, and numbers to reflect on THE TEAM, not just him.

GoPackGo
03-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Speaking of statues, I heard a Fonzy statue is going to be installed near the Rock Bottom Brewery on Milwaukee's Riverwalk.

PackerBlues
03-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Nah, no need for the statue. They should just rename the stadium Favre Field. :)

The Leaper
03-06-2008, 02:26 PM
But those arn't statues. No statue, but if they wnat to name something in honor of Brett, Im all for it.

I agree.

Lambeau and Lombardi are on an entirely different level in terms of the franchise. Lambeau was the force behind the very founding of the team, and Lombardi's success ultimately is what preserved the financial success of the team long term after several close calls prior to his arrival.

Guys like Starr, Hutson, Favre...they are great players and deserving of recognition in other ways. Favre has a steakhouse across the street, and if a statue is erected there, great.

However, we don't need 12 statues outside of Lambeau Field. Lambeau and Lombardi are good enough.

Chubbyhubby
03-06-2008, 02:40 PM
I'd be fine with it. There will be something. We have Lambeau Field, Hutson Center, and Nitschke Field (and others).But those arn't statues. No statue, but if they wnat to name something in honor of Brett, Im all for it.

They have. BRETT FAVRE PASS street next to Lambeau Field.

ND72
03-06-2008, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a statue just like Bart Starrs in front of the Onieda Gate enterence (Flat side of the stadium). Nothing big, but something people can see, touch, enjoy. Call it Favre Plaza.

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2008, 03:01 PM

They have. BRETT FAVRE PASS street next to Lambeau Field.

It's lame. That "street" is like one block long and goes next to his restaurant.

red
03-06-2008, 03:11 PM
i'm with the group that would be for a statue

i was a pack fan growing up for 14 years before brett came here

we sucked, bad

none of the last 16 years would have happened without brett, we might still be sucking hind tit behind the other 3 in our sucky division.

and a single individual, i think he's the greatest and most important single player in packer history

right now you have 3 distinct great eras in packer history

and early lambea era, the classic lombardi era, and the favre era

i think we're all spoiled right now, a lot. those other two are legends, gods, the greats from history. brett is a guy who just got done playing. i think history will proof how great a player he was

MJZiggy
03-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a statue just like Bart Starrs in front of the Onieda Gate enterence (Flat side of the stadium). Nothing big, but something people can see, touch, enjoy. Call it Favre Plaza.

That's what I was thinking. At one gate you put Favre, at another Starr, at another White, etc.

Joemailman
03-06-2008, 07:57 PM
I have no problem with the statue. With the state this franchise was in when he got here, he's been as important as anybody to the franchise in the last 40 years. Who says they have to stay with 2 statues? Put a statue of Brett at the south entrance to Lambeau. You could put Bart up at the same time.

I agree. If Yankee Stadium is The House That Ruth Built, then the renovated Lambeau Field is The House That Favre Built.

Harlan Huckleby
03-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Favre was already a statue - his last 5 years in the league.

(Only kidding, only kidding, only kidding, he still moved around OK)

BallHawk
03-06-2008, 08:22 PM
I'd be for it. You can bring up the issue of other players like Huston and White and whether they should have statues, too. They are undeniably great players, but I don't think one can argue that they had as much of an effect on the franchise as Favre did.

b bulldog
03-06-2008, 08:56 PM
I say no also but he will have his statue as Starr and other Packers greats have around Lambeau.

gbgary
03-06-2008, 09:11 PM
a statue would be cool...but not next to Lombardi. how about in the attrium?

KYPack
03-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah.

A statue similar to Bart's.

Absolutely, why not?

There won't be 12 of 'em.

Bart's, Brett, & ?.

That will do for the first 100 yrs of the Pack.

cpk1994
03-06-2008, 09:33 PM
I'd be for it. You can bring up the issue of other players like Huston and White and whether they should have statues, too. They are undeniably great players, but I don't think one can argue that they had as much of an effect on the franchise as Favre did.
You seriously believe that Hutson didn't have as much of an effect on the franchise as Favre? Don Hutson helped revolutionize an entire league in terms of the forward pass. He has records that still stand. Im sorry but Favre above Hutson is ludicrous.

BallHawk
03-06-2008, 09:59 PM
You seriously believe that Hutson didn't have as much of an effect on the franchise as Favre? Don Hutson helped revolutionize an entire league in terms of the forward pass. He has records that still stand. Im sorry but Favre above Hutson is ludicrous.

Favre has been more beneficial to the team than any player in recent memory. The revenue brought in through Favre being in Green Bay is incalcuable. Favre has gone beyond football. He became a symbol of the state of Wisconsin. And while Hutson was great, and I'm not diminishing Hutson in anyway, he did not do what Favre did on and off the field. Hutson's performance on the field and what he did to advance the game of football is fantastic, but Favre himself was an era and a symbol.

twoseven
03-07-2008, 03:14 AM

Favre has been more beneficial to the team than any player in recent memory. The revenue brought in through Favre being in Green Bay is incalcuable. Favre has gone beyond football. He became a symbol of the state of Wisconsin. And while Hutson was great, and I'm not diminishing Hutson in anyway, he did not do what Favre did on and off the field. Hutson's performance on the field and what he did to advance the game of football is fantastic, but Favre himself was an era and a symbol.
This is why I am of the opinion that you do not single out any one Packer above another, too many people that aren't 75 years old are in the debate. The franchise is over 80 years old and here we are trying to compare Favre to one of the greatest WRs in history, Jerry Rice before there was Jerry Rice--someone who shined and then retired long before most of us were even born. Hell, plenty of our parents weren't even born when Hutson was tearing up the league. 'Did not do what Favre did on and off the field'? How would anyone here know what Hutson did off the field, or on it for that matter, the first TV was sold about the time Hutson hung up his cleats. Other than reading stats and maybe witnessing one or two grainy film shots, who can actually say they saw what Hutson did, leave for an old codger than actually was there for the games? On the field Hutson completely revolutionized the forward passing game. I love Brett, but all he revolutionized was the underhanded forward pass. :D

Unless you have actually lived through Hutson's era and now Favre's, how can you claim Favre was somehow more significant during his reign? Brett played after, during, and beyond: Montana, Marino, Elway, Manning, and Brady. It's arguable that he is even the best, or second best QB of his own generation. How long was it before ANY player had an impact at WR like Hutson did, Rice 40 years later? Until some 75 year old logs on to PR and says, 'yep I lived through both and saw both play, Brett's reign was hands down the bigger deal,' I suggest we leave the comparisons alone. The Packers organization is to football as the Yankees, Celtics, and Canadiens are to their respective sports--far too many titles, legendary coaches, winning seasons, and Hall Of Fame players to be placing one of any above another. :)

MadtownPacker
03-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Unless you have actually lived through Hutson's era and now Favre's, how can you claim Favre was somehow more significant during his reign?I agree that Favre should not be put up above other franchise greats but the point people are trying to make is that he is the player that made the team successful again when it had been in a 30 year slump. Seems like the Lombardi era was like a golden age in the NFL where national attention was on the Packers. Favre brought that national attention back. Thats why you will find a Mexican in California wearing a Packers hat all the time. :wink:

KYPack
03-07-2008, 09:00 AM
It's also generational.

Brett brought the Packers to many new fans, like Mad.

Johnny Blood was my Grandfathers favorite Packer.
Don Hutson was my dad's favorite Packer.
Brett Favre is my favorite Packer, edging out Ray and Paul Hornung.
Brett Favre is my young nephew's favorite Packer.

Brett had such along and storied career, he has spanned generations and brought the greatest Pro franchise back to national prominence.

That's what is great about our team is the fans can all sit around and argue about who was the greatest of them all. And when the talking is done, each fans will share some fantastic memories and still feel that their guy is #1.

We are the Green Bay Packers.

Green Bud Packer
03-07-2008, 09:03 AM
A walk of fame like they have a Miller Park would be a great way to honor Favre and the rest of the Packer greats.Too mant statues and Lambeau will start looking like a memorial park cemetery.

twoseven
03-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Unless you have actually lived through Hutson's era and now Favre's, how can you claim Favre was somehow more significant during his reign?I agree that Favre should not be put up above other franchise greats but the point people are trying to make is that he is the player that made the team successful again when it had been in a 30 year slump. Seems like the Lombardi era was like a golden age in the NFL where national attention was on the Packers. Favre brought that national attention back. Thats why you will find a Mexican in California wearing a Packers hat all the time. :wink:
Understood. I just want people, if they don't already know how great Hutson was and how much influence he had on football, to take a few minutes to read about him..

As far as off the field, we know how much Brett had done, but did you know..

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=25564

"Those who weren't overseas supported the war effort at home by selling war bonds. People connected to the NFL sold bonds that generated $4 million worth of sales in 1942 alone. At one rally in Milwaukee, three Green Bay Packers sold $2,100,000 worth of war bonds. For their efforts, hall-of-fame coach Curly Lambeau, Cecil Isabell and hall-of-famer Don Hutson received Treasury Department citations. "

On the field..a lengthy article, sorry, but worth the read..

http://www.rosebowllegends.org/don-hutson.php

"Don Hutson

Donald Roy Hutson, Wide Receiver
Alabama, 1932-1934
(Green Bay Packers, 1935-1945)

As a baseball player, Don Hutson was a darn good receiver.

Arriving at Alabama on a baseball scholarship, Hutson played centerfield for the Tide and also made a name for himself running track. On the football field, Hutson became something special walking on to the team and changing the way college football teams looked at the forward pass.

Back in the 1930s, college football still wasn't purely a running sport. Few had used the forward pass as a weapon and no one had run routes with speed and precision like Hutson.

Alabama head football coach Wallace Wade had little interest in the small Hutson and didn't use the 160-pounder much until his junior season. By his senior year, Hutson grew to 6-1 and 175 pounds turning into a superstar as one of the most fluid route runners college football had ever seen. To say Hutson was ahead of his time is an understatement as he was really the inventor of the way modern wide receivers play football.

The 1934 Crimson Tide was 9-0 on its way to a national championship season. Facing Stanford in the 1935 Rose Bowl, the Tide scored 22 second quarter points on the way to a 29-13 win as Dixie Howell and Hutson combined to finish off the unbeaten season. In that second quarter, Howell gained 96 yards on the ground running for a 67-yard touchdown while Hutson caught four passes from Howell for 96 yards and a touchdown. With six catches for 165 yards and two touchdowns, Hutson had one of the great receiving performances in college football history and one of the great days college football had ever seen.

Hutson is considered one of the greatest NFL WRs of all-time and the first real star receiver to play professional football as a nine-time All-Pro and a charter member of the pro football Hall of Fame. He set the NFL record with 99 career touchdown catches that lasted until Steve Largent came along.

Don Hutson’s first touchdown came on an 83-yard pass from Arnie Herber in just his second game as a Green Bay Packer. He wound up with 99 career touchdown receptions, a record that stood for more than four decades. When Hutson retired in 1945 after 11 superb seasons, he held 18 NFL records, including 488 career receptions.

That was 200 more than his closest competitor. Hutson invented modern pass receiving. He created Z-outs, buttonhooks, hook-and-gos, and a whole catalog of moves and fakes. Although he had been an All-America at Alabama in 1934, there were plenty who doubted the skinny speedster could stand the pace of pro football. But it wasn't long before his mere presence on the field had changed the defensive concept of the game.

Don could outmaneuver and outrace virtually every defender in the league. He led the NFL in receiving in eight of his 11 seasons and in scoring five straight years. Twice, in 1941 and 1942, he was named the league’s MVP.

Like everyone in the days before free substitution, Hutson was a 60-minute player who spent most of his career as a very fine safety on defense. In his final six seasons, he swiped 30 opposing quarterbacks’ passes. Often after scoring a touchdown, he would kick the extra point. In one quarter of a 1945 game, he caught four touchdown passes and kicked five PATs for an amazing 29 points.

Had it not been for a unique decision by NFL President Joe Carr, Hutson might never have become a landmark pass-catcher. After college, Don signed contracts with both the pass-minded Packers and the NFL’s Brooklyn Dodgers, a team that rarely passed. Carr ruled the contract with the earliest postmark would be honored. The Packers' contract was postmarked 8:30 a.m., 17 minutes earlier than the Dodgers' pact. Thus Hutson became a Packer.

His best seasons were from 1941 through 1945, or when World War II was taking many of America's most able bodied young men away, when Hutson made 284 of his 488 catches, had five of his six best yardage seasons and caught 56 of his 99 touchdowns.

Honors:

* College Football Hall of Fame - 1951
* All-America - 1934
* All-SEC - 1934
* NFL Hall of Fame - 1963
* NFL 75th Anniversary Team
* Rose Bowl Hall of Fame - 1993 "
(Hutson notched 2 MVPs and the Packers won 3 titles in his 11 year career)

This is a good read too..
http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00014269.html