PDA

View Full Version : NFL News

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Saints agreed to terms with LB Dan Morgan on a one-year contract.

Morgan is reportedly expected to start at weak-side linebacker, but we'll see if he can beat out Scott Shanle first. He's still recovering from Achilles surgery and will have to avoid concussions when contact workouts begin. On paper at least, the Saints' linebacker crew now looks pretty good.

Bucs agreed to terms with Ben Troupe on a two-year contract, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

A nice fit for the athletic pass-catching tight end. Troupe will have to learn the offense, but he'll get a chance to compete to start with incumbent Alex Smith. While he's worth keeping an eye on, the Bucs tight ends will probably cancel each other out.

Free agent LB Landon Johnson visited with the Panthers on Thursday.

The Bengals want their leading tackler back, but wouldn't offer him a guaranteed starting job. He'd likely compete with Na'il Diggs in Carolina.

Titans agreed to terms with DE Jevon Kearse on a two-year, $6 million contract, with a $1.3 million signing bonus.

At that price, Kearse is a good gamble to help the Titans as a rotational end. He'll benefit from Albert Haynesworth and Kyle Vanden Bosch and could have a comeback season if he can put on some weight.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Panthers signed LB Landon Johnson to a three-year deal.

The Bengals apparently attempted to match the deal, but Johnson was thought to be seeking a better chance at starting. In Carolina, Johnson should compete with an injury-prone Na'il Diggs. He also provides nice backup in case Adam Seward leaves through restricted free agency.

Joe Jurevicius told the Browns that he couldn't take the pounding of a second receiver, and asked to become a No. 3.

The signing of Donte' Stallworth granted this wish. Jurevicius should see significantly fewer snaps this season, and it's clear the 33-year-old's career is winding down.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has proposed unannounced inspections of locker rooms, stadium press boxes and in-game communications equipment in an effort to crackdown on cheating.

Goodell has also wants to lower the standard of proof needed to impose penalties on a team or person for cheating. Between this and the likely use of one defensive player per team to have headset communication (that measure narrowly failed last year), the NFL should at least win the P.R. war against cheating.

Speaking on the Dan Patrick Show Thursday, Ricky Williams revealed that he recently met face to face with VP of football operations Bill Parcells.

"He called me into his office and told me that he wanted me and he really believed in me," Ricky said of the Tuna. "He’s been really positive about keeping me involved and inspiring me to contribute this year." Williams added that he hasn't smoked marijuana in "at least a year." Due to a torn pecs muscle, Williams is questionable to participate in minicamps.

denverYooper
03-07-2008, 12:43 PM
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has proposed unannounced inspections of locker rooms, stadium press boxes and in-game communications equipment in an elaborate effort to see grown men nekkid.

Fixed.

/Captain Oveur approves.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-07-2008, 02:49 PM
PANTHERS SHOPPING PEPPERS?

Posted by Mike Florio on March 7, 2008, 2:36 p.m.
We’ve received several e-mails over the past couple of days regarding rumors that the Carolina Panthers are poised to trade defensive end Julius Peppers.

And so we’ve actually engaged in a little “real” journalism — and in some of our good, old-fashioned rumor mongering.

There are rumors in league circles that the Panthers are quietly shopping Peppers. He has a big cap number in 2007, and there’s a school of thought that the Panthers aren’t willing to pay him what it would take to keep him over the long haul, especially since the price tag could go up if/when the Ravens sign Terrell Suggs to a long-term deal.

But it takes two to do the trade tango, and we’ve yet to confirm that any of the other 31 teams have been approached about acquiring the No. 2 overall pick in the 2002 draft.

Peppers had only 2.5 sacks last season, down from 13.0 the year before. He had been expected to be in line for a Dwight Freeney-style deal with $30 million guaranteed and a $12 million per year average.

Agent Carl Carey tells PFT that he and Peppers have heard the rumors, but that they have no merit.

“We fully expect that Julius Peppers will be a Carolina Panther this football season,” Carey said.

At this point, there’s no concrete reason to believe otherwise. But unless and until Peppers signs a new contract with the Panthers, the trade whispers will continue.

Partial
03-07-2008, 03:28 PM
I'd trade a 1 and a 2 for Brian Peppers (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Brian+Peppers&um=1&ie=UTF-8)

Whoops, I meant Julius!

Deputy Nutz
03-07-2008, 03:59 PM
I'd trade a 1 and a 2 for Brian Peppers (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Brian+Peppers&um=1&ie=UTF-8)

Whoops, I meant Julius!

More Glue, a one and a two? I was thinking a two or even our late first, but certainly not two draft picks in the top 60 picks. Especially for a guy that got 2.5 sacks in 2007. That is ridiculous considering how talented the guy is, he dumped the season ala Randy Moss.

The Packers invested in a long term deal with Jenkins so I just don't see them adding Peppers or any high priced veteran. Jenkins could fill a role similar to Corey Williams along the defensive front, but I don't see Thompson having the balls to hook into a shark this size.

twoseven
03-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Julius Peppers could be unbelievable opposite Kampman, although they both line up at left end. I'd risk it, last year was a bigtime fluke, every other year has been great, he's still young. (Ahh, feels good to be pretend GM-ing again after the Favre bomb that dropped.)

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-07-2008, 05:36 PM
A person close to Plaxico Burress said Plax was "jacked up" after hearing Javon Walker got a six-year, $55 million deal from the Raiders.

So should be most wide receivers that caught more than 26 passes last year and don't need microfracture surgery. Burress will likely ask the Giants to add a nice sum of money to his contract at some point this offseason.

Titans released CB Kelly Herndon.

Herndon, 31, would've cost $1.4 million to keep. It appears Eric King, Reynaldo Hill, and possibly a rookie will battle for nickel duties in camp.

Panthers waived CB Patrick Dendy.

He was no longer of use after Carolina retained Dante Wesley.

Giants re-signed head coach Tom Coughlin to a four-year contract.

The deal is worth roughly $21 million. Coughlin, who took over as the Giants' coach in 2004, has led the club to a 35-29 overall record and three playoff appearances. 2007 was the first year he won a postseason game. After a 10-6 regular season, the Giants knocked off Tampa Bay, Dallas, Green Bay, and finally the then-undefeated Patriots in Super Bowl XLII.

Bears signed Brandon Lloyd to a one-year contract.

Once a promising receiver in San Francisco, Lloyd was a huge bust after the Redskins made him rich. Perhaps he'll be hungrier now and Chicago risks little by giving him a "prove-it" contract to play under college coach Ron Turner. Lloyd could wind up starting or released by Week 1, although the latter is more likely.

Panthers signed RB LaBrandon Toefield to a one-year contract.

If this is the best they can do, DeAngelo Williams will have an easy road to 300+ touches. Toefield, 27, was rarely used in Jacksonville and hasn't averaged over 4.0 YPC in his career. At 5'11/232, he has some short-yardage ability, but won't be a big threat to Williams' carries otherwise. We suspect Carolina will draft another back, though it probably won't happen early.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-07-2008, 07:51 PM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that the Seahawks agreed to terms with Julius Jones. Terms aren't disclosed.

This should end the Shaun Alexander era shortly. It's a dream scenario for Jones, who gets a surprise chance to start again on a productive offense. Seattle could add a rookie, but Jones should play ahead of T.J. Duckett and Maurice Morris. Jones regressed in Dallas, but he's an upgrade from Alexander and could mature late like his brother. Like any starter in Seattle, he'll get consideration as a RB2.

Fritz
03-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Okay who's got info on Julius Peppers? How is his health? Anybody have some inside info as to whether the guy has anything in the tank, and how his motivation is?

Anybody know what it might take to get him, if he's worth a risk?

falco
03-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Okay who's got info on Julius Peppers? How is his health? Anybody have some inside info as to whether the guy has anything in the tank, and how his motivation is?

Anybody know what it might take to get him, if he's worth a risk?

this one intrigued me right away (as opposed to Kris Jenkins, who I think would be a waste).

Peppers is still fairly young, and we've got cap space to burn. If we're thinking about our defense having to take another step up this season, he'd be a great addition, assuming he's healthy and motivated. his numbers last year aren't that great though

Fritz
03-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Do you know what the deal was with him last year? Is he a head case or did he have a serious injury, or both? If he's so good why would carolina want to trade him? Any idea what the cost would be?

I don't have enough info to evaluate this topic. Thanks for you help so far, Falco.

b bulldog
03-08-2008, 11:06 AM
People are questioning if he really likes to play football. He has all the tools but seems to lack heart. Do you want to drop $30mil in bonuses on a guy like that.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-08-2008, 11:08 AM
People are questioning if he really likes to play football. He has all the tools but seems to lack heart. Do you want to drop $30mil in bonuses on a guy like that.

Kampman would rub off on him. :wink:

Tony Oday
03-08-2008, 11:28 AM
There wouldnt be a good starting QB in the north for 5 years because everyone they brought in would see Kamp, Peppers and Jenkins would be in their dreams!

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-08-2008, 11:28 AM
A report surfaced Friday that the Eagles made an offer to obtain Larry Fitzgerald.

With the Cardinals and Fitzgerald at an impasse in contract negotiations, the Eagles reportedly offered CB Lito Sheppard and WR Reggie Brown as trade bait. League sources confirmed the offer, but wouldn't confirm details. The Cardinals adamantly maintain that Fitzgerald will remain in Arizona.

Tony Oday
03-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Fitz would be awesome in Green and Gold but we dont need him!

Fritz
03-08-2008, 04:45 PM
That's not much of a trade offer from the Eagles.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-08-2008, 06:15 PM
NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that the Lions have reached agreement with free agent cornerback Brian Kelly on a three-year contract. Terms were not disclosed.

Lions head coach Rod Marinelli lands another former Buccaneer as the team continues its shift towards a Cover Two defense. Kelly, who lost his starting job in Tampa last season, will likely compete with Keith Smith to start opposite Leigh Bodden in a revamped Lions secondary.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Broncos signed free agent S Marquand Manuel to a three-year, $4.5 million contract.

The former Panther joins Keary Colbert as Denver's second free agent signee. Manuel has been a disappointment the last two years. He's expected to compete with Hamza Abdullah at free safety.

Steelers LB James Harrison was arrested Saturday for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend.

Harrison made the Pro Bowl in 2007, his first as a starter. He was released from jail and is scheduled to appear in court on March 13.

Broncos agreed to terms with safety Marlon McCree on an undisclosed contract.

He'll compete with John Lynch for a starting job. While Lynch has seniority, McCree is a bit younger and should wind up getting plenty of snaps.

Ohio State DE Vernon Gholston recorded a 42 inch vertical leap and ran a 4.58 forty at his Pro Day Saturday.

That's over six inches more than his excellent Combine performance, which many players would have rested on. Gholston is making the case that he's the most athletic player in the draft. Oakland will look at him hard with the fourth pick.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-08-2008, 10:26 PM
EAGLES BANKING ON UNCAPPED YEAR?

We've spent some time on Saturday night (again proving that, yes, I have no life) compiling information regarding the base salaries to be earned by the Super 99 Free Agents, as designated by our friends at SportingNews.com.

The list of the base salaries is right here.

One thing we noticed is that the Eagles apparently are assuming that 2010 will be a year without a salary cap. We base this conclusion on the fact that the base salary of cornerback Asanta Samuel shoots from $1.9 million all the way up to $8.895 million in 2010.

The owners are expected to exercise by November 2008 their right to cancel the current Collective Bargaining Agreement two years early, which would make 2010 a season without a salary cap.

If the CBA is extended, the Eagles likely would try to reduce Samuel's 2010 cap number by converting a big chunk of the salary to a guaranteed payment. Or, alternatively, if Samuel isn't performing at a high level after two years in Philly, the Eagles could decide to pull the plug.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-08-2008, 10:33 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/NFL_SC-RUMOR

Chicago Bears Updated:03/06/2008

Brendon Ayanbadejo is considering offers from the Ravens and Jets, both of them four-year deals that are worth close to $5 million total, according to the Chicago Tribune. Ayanbadejo also wants the opportunity to play more linebacker, something he wasn't able to do much with the Bears.

http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors

Chiefs going after Bears Davis?

The Kansas City Chiefs might make a move for Bears restricted free agent Rashied Davis. They have only four wideouts under contract, including former Chicago Rush star Bobby Sippio, and would be able to use Davis as a returner. The Chiefs ranked 30th in kickoff returns last season. Davis, who turns 29 in July, received the low tender offer of $927,000 from the Bears, and because the former Arena League player was not an NFL draft pick, the Bears would not receive a pick if they chose not to match an offer sheet. The Bears lost Bernard Berrian to the Minnesota Vikings

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-09-2008, 07:07 PM
This better not happen with Favre!!

Jerry Rice has given Isaac Bruce the go-ahead to wear No. 80 for the 49ers.

"I have always respected Isaac Bruce," Rice said. Somehow the number was never retired, but no 49er has worn it since Rice's last year in San Francisco (2000). Bruce, who ranks third all-time in receiving yards behind only Rice and Tim Brown, has worn the No. 80 all 14 seasons he's been in the league.

According to SI.com's Don Banks, there are "rumors" that JaMarcus Russell has ballooned to close to 300 pounds since last season ended.

Russell, who coach Lane Kiffin has named the Raiders' starter, had weight issues in college. InsideBayArea.com's Jerry McDonald writes in his blog that no players have actually seen Russell this offseason, so the rumors are hard to confirm. Russell has shown the ability to drop weight quickly.

Deputy Nutz
03-09-2008, 07:24 PM
According to SI.com's Don Banks, there are "rumors" that JaMarcus Russell has ballooned to close to 300 pounds since last season ended.

Russell, who coach Lane Kiffin has named the Raiders' starter, had weight issues in college. InsideBayArea.com's Jerry McDonald writes in his blog that no players have actually seen Russell this offseason, so the rumors are hard to confirm. Russell has shown the ability to drop weight quickly.

As Partial likes to say, "The bigger the better!"

Lurker64
03-09-2008, 07:34 PM
As Partial likes to say, "The bigger the better!"

Russell may well turn out to be an amazing, amazing bust. He can throw the ball 67 miles while laying on his back, but his commitment to football is suspect.

You have to like how the Raiders passed on Joe Thomas, Adrian Peterson, and Calvin Johnson to take Russell.

red
03-09-2008, 07:46 PM
sound like lendale white last offseason

that whole organization is one giant train wreck waiting to happen

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Titans agreed to terms with OG Jake Scott, formerly of the Colts, on a four-year contract that will average just under $5 million annually.

We're usually wary of signing ex-Colts, but it's always nice to take a quality player from a division rival and put him on your team. Scott has similar tools to the man he'll replace at left guard, Jacob Bell. He's also younger, way cheaper, and hasn't missed a start since his rookie season (2004).

LL2
03-10-2008, 08:57 AM
This better not happen with Favre!!

Jerry Rice has given Isaac Bruce the go-ahead to wear No. 80 for the 49ers.

"I have always respected Isaac Bruce," Rice said. Somehow the number was never retired, but no 49er has worn it since Rice's last year in San Francisco (2000). Bruce, who ranks third all-time in receiving yards behind only Rice and Tim Brown, has worn the No. 80 all 14 seasons he's been in the league.

No one will ever wear #4. Favre's number will be retired and never to be worn by another player.

Now...Russell weighs 300 lbs! Sheesh...is he going to play left tackle too?

SkinBasket
03-10-2008, 09:00 AM

What do you mean, waiting to happen?

Lurker64
03-10-2008, 10:53 AM

What do you mean, waiting to happen?

It's a train wreck that's still sitting on the track, waiting for other trains to crash into it.

Deputy Nutz
03-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Titans agreed to terms with OG Jake Scott, formerly of the Colts, on a four-year contract that will average just under $5 million annually.

We're usually wary of signing ex-Colts, but it's always nice to take a quality player from a division rival and put him on your team. Scott has similar tools to the man he'll replace at left guard, Jacob Bell. He's also younger, way cheaper, and hasn't missed a start since his rookie season (2004).

This was the one free agent that I was hoping Thompson would have gone after with some aggression. He is a solid football player, better than Colledge.

I hope Thompson isn't one of those guys that thinks because he drafted a player that he has to stick with him to the end of his first contract.

Lurker64
03-10-2008, 01:07 PM
This was the one free agent that I was hoping Thompson would have gone after with some aggression. He is a solid football player, better than Colledge.

I hope Thompson isn't one of those guys that thinks because he drafted a player that he has to stick with him to the end of his first contract.

At the same time, I think it's useful to draw analogy to last year. After last year we were all (myself included) convinced that TE was a major weakness for this team and that if we didn't go after a good TE, we'd be unable to score points in the Red Zone. There were varying degrees of wailing and gnashing of the teeth after David Martin left, all the FA TEs went elsewhere, and we didn't draft one in the first 6 rounds. However, the coaching staff expressed confidence in Lee, and we went into the season with Lee and Franks as our TEs. Turns out, Lee has a breakout year and almost certainly had a better year last year than all of the TEs we passed up.

So it's entirely likely that the coaching staff is convinced that they can get one of their many OL prospects to have a breakout season at Guard (probably more likely Barbre or Coston than Colledge, maybe even Moll), or the scouting department just didn't see that much in Scott. Possibly a combination of the two.

Sometimes, as much as we're convinced of something, the coaches and scouts know something we don't. Who knows about this situation?

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-10-2008, 01:25 PM

At the same time, I think it's useful to draw analogy to last year. After last year we were all (myself included) convinced that TE was a major weakness for this team and that if we didn't go after a good TE, we'd be unable to score points in the Red Zone. There were varying degrees of wailing and gnashing of the teeth after David Martin left, all the FA TEs went elsewhere, and we didn't draft one in the first 6 rounds. However, the coaching staff expressed confidence in Lee, and we went into the season with Lee and Franks as our TEs. Turns out, Lee has a breakout year and almost certainly had a better year last year than all of the TEs we passed up.

So it's entirely likely that the coaching staff is convinced that they can get one of their many OL prospects to have a breakout season at Guard (probably more likely Barbre or Coston than Colledge, maybe even Moll), or the scouting department just didn't see that much in Scott. Possibly a combination of the two.

Sometimes, as much as we're convinced of something, the coaches and scouts know something we don't. Who knows about this situation?

That’s a good point. But I still think we draft at least two o-linemen in the draft, probably a tackle and a guard.

The Leaper
03-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Lee showed some success on the field prior to last year to give Thompson an idea of what he could offer.

What the hell have we seen from Barbre or Coston to inspire any confidence that they will take a huge step forward?

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Lee showed some success on the field prior to last year to give Thompson an idea of what he could offer.

What the hell have we seen from Barbre or Coston to inspire any confidence that they will take a huge step forward?

Don't get me wrong I wanted to sign Scott, but none of us really knows anything about Barbre. He may be the long term answer and we don't even know. Also, the coaching staff seems to like Wells and Splitz a lot as starters.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2008, 02:08 PM

I don't think it's Barbre or Coston they are counting on. I think it's Spitz and Colledge--with Barbre or Coston possibly challenging Colledge. I actually think Spitz has moved ahead of the other guys, and isn't nearly the question mark he was. I think Colledge has a chance at being a solid starter in the NFL. Unfortunately, it may take a move to OT for that to be realized.

Deputy Nutz
03-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Colledge is a perfect example of what you get when you take a college tackle who is raw to begin with and move him to a whole new position and then throw him in as a starter. He has struggled so far because he simply wasn't ready to play. In fact he was the type of player coming out of Boise St that had a decent amount of talent to where a 2nd round selection was warranted, but his skill level was below average for an offensive lineman, and he probably could have gotten by the first couple years on his talent alone at tackle, but it seems that his talent hasn't transfered over to guard like coaches and staffers thought it would.

Netting Scott would have solidified the offensive line, both at the starting position and the depth of the team. Colledge would get the move back to tackle where he could back up Clifton, but also be added as a back up at guard. Scott could have been the starter on the left side.

Anyways, I think it is a miss on Thompson's part, especially with 35 million in cap space, but I don't think it is a move that cripples the franchise by any means.

Deputy Nutz
03-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Here is a thought I just had, are the Packers/Ted Thompson preparing the franchise financially for an uncapped year(s)? Are the Packer banking money at this point, and resigning their own players because they realize that owners are going to scrap the CBA in 2010?

mission
03-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Here is a thought I just had, are the Packers/Ted Thompson preparing the franchise financially for an uncapped year(s)? Are the Packer banking money at this point, and resigning their own players because they realize that owners are going to scrap the CBA in 2010?

id like to think so but GB being the tiny market that it is makes me think that we would get absolutely fucked if the cap was lifted for a year ... yankees anyone?

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2008, 03:48 PM

id like to think so but GB being the tiny market that it is makes me think that we would get absolutely fucked if the cap was lifted for a year ... yankees anyone?

Not necessarily. There would be owners that would spend outrageously, but it's been proven in football that you can't just spend and win. There are a lot of owners that are in the business to make more money, so they aren't going to throw money around (ala Carl Pohlad of the Twins). I'd think we'd been in pretty good shape. We have at least $100M saved up as a nest egg.

Am I the only one that thinks Green Bay wouldn't be that bad off if the salary cap went away--as long as merchandise wasn't shared? It's not a typical small market team. The local market is small, but the franchise has an enormous global fan-base. In fact, they are one of the teams that pays a fund that helps the bottom 10 teams (e.g. Minnesota). I think as long as TV money is shared, they'd be fine.

That being said, the salary cap should stay. It does wonders for competitive balance, and has helped keep pro football the top sport in the country.

BallHawk
03-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Per PFT

TRENT RETURNS TO ST. LOUIS

Seven seasons after leaving St. Louis, quarterback Trent Green is returning to town.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Green has agreed to terms with the Rams.

Green was a high-profile signing of the Rams in 1999. But Rodney Harrison, then of the Chargers, hit Green low during the preseason, setting the stage for the unlikely ascension of Kurt Warner. Green, who missed all of 1999 with a torn ACL, stayed with the Rams through the 2000 season. He started five games that year as an injury replacement for Warner.

In 2001, Green landed with the Chiefs, where he was reunited with former Rams coach Dick Vermeil. Green stayed in Kansas City until last year, when he was traded late in the offseason to the Dolphins.

In St. Louis, Green will be reunited with Al Saunders, the former offensive coordinator in Kansas City who then moved to Washington and now has the same gig with the Rams.

With Marc Bulger entrenched as the starter, Green likely won't be higher than No. 2 on the roster. The only other quarterback currently on the team is Brock Berlin.

sepporepi
03-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Green Bay wouldn't be that bad off if the salary cap went away--as long as merchandise wasn't shared? It's not a typical small market team. The local market is small, but the franchise has an enormous global fan-base.

Huch much of the merchandise is/was Favre-related and how much not?
His jersey selled in the top 10 for at least 10 years now. In some years it was the best selling one. I bet in 2 years merchandise will not be in the top 10 anyone.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-10-2008, 04:27 PM

Not necessarily. There would be owners that would spend outrageously, but it's been proven in football that you can't just spend and win. There are a lot of owners that are in the business to make more money, so they aren't going to throw money around (ala Carl Pohlad of the Twins). I'd think we'd been in pretty good shape. We have at least $100M saved up as a nest egg.

Am I the only one that thinks Green Bay wouldn't be that bad off if the salary cap went away--as long as merchandise wasn't shared? It's not a typical small market team. The local market is small, but the franchise has an enormous global fan-base. In fact, they are one of the teams that pays a fund that helps the bottom 10 teams (e.g. Minnesota). I think as long as TV money is shared, they'd be fine.

That being said, the salary cap should stay. It does wonders for competitive balance, and has helped keep pro football the top sport in the country.

The salary cap is good for GB because it allows us to compete for players that would not consider us if all teams could just spend willy nilly.

Let's call a spade a spade. GB is a small town that has VERY limited appeal to most NFL players. GB, it's history, etc. mean very little to most players..especially the younger ones.

Just as most businesses and college grads aren't rushing to move to GB, you'd find the same thing happening if the CBA was removed.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Browns signed OL Rex Hadnot, formerly of the Dolphins.

He chose them over the Texans, Titans, and Steelers. Hadnot, 26, can play both guard and center and has a nice build (6'2/325) for Cleveland's power run game. He'll likely battle Ryan Tucker to start at right guard in training camp.

Lions re-signed RB Tatum Bell to a one-year, $1.6 million contract.

It's telling this was the best he could do. Bell posted a career low 4.1 YPC on 44 carries, falling off the game day roster after the first five contests in 2007. Along with Brian Calhoun, he provides insurance behind Kevin Jones (ACL surgery). Bell could be worth a late flier in 2008 fantasy drafts, but probably nothing more. Detroit may still draft a running back. Mar. 10 - 12:33 pm et

The Leaper
03-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Let's call a spade a spade. GB is a small town that has VERY limited appeal to most NFL players. GB, it's history, etc. mean very little to most players..especially the younger ones.

That is already the case even with the current CBA, Ty.

Without a cap, Green Bay is still well positioned...but major adjustments would have to be made.

1. The Packers would have to capitalize on that massive waiting list by raising prices to meet demand...so they rake in the profits, not season ticket holders. The Packers could probably raise ticket prices 200% and still sell out every seat in the crib...although there might be a significant turnover in who are in the seats. Most other markets, big or small, couldn't even think about raising prices to bring in additional revenue.

I don't know the exact figures, but if the average ticket price now is $60, that brings in roughly $34M over 8 home games. Boost the average price up to $180, and Green Bay now brings in roughly $100M over 8 games.

$180 isn't a ridiculous number...just look on Stubhub.com and you'll see that is roughly market value for most games, even though the Packers only see a fraction of that revenue.

2. The Packers have a huge nation-wide fan base, and could basically start their own TV channel if they wanted to. Without shared TV revenue, the Packers would actually gain a ton of money...as their fan base has proven to be one of the top 3 in the entire NFL in terms of viewership. Green Bay could pull down TV revenue just as great...maybe greater...than major market teams.

The current share of the TV pie for Green Bay is roughly $120M a year...based on league annual TV revenue of roughly $4B. Without shared revenue, that $4B pie is up for grabs...and Green Bay's position as a dominant player in being able to bring consistent numbers of viewers would likely net at least three times what their current share is, or $350M annually.

The one drawback Green Bay would face is that they don't have an ultra-rich owner who can dip into his own millions or billions to finance the team. However, few rich owners are going to blow ridiculous sums of money on the football team. If Green Bay increases their revenue $60M a year in ticket revenue and $200M in TV revenue, they will have roughly $400M a year to spend.

That is almost FOUR TIMES the current cap figure. As such, Green Bay doesn't have to worry about losing the cap IMO in personal terms...although the blow it would deal to the league as a whole, as at least 10-12 franchises would probably go under, obviously is of great concern to all NFL fans.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Well said. The situation isn't as dire as it's made about to me. Green Bay is a unique situation.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Bucs signed WR Antonio Bryant.

A great gamble for Tampa and a perfect spot for Bryant. Bryant was out of the league in 2007 because of substance abuse problems, but he averaged 842 yards from 2004-2006 on poor passing teams. Those numbers compare favorably with far higher priced free agent wideouts this year. Bryant is a gamble, but the Bucs have a history taming problem players, and his size and speed are sorely needed. He should start and be a fine fantasy sleeper.

Saints re-signed TE Eric Johnson to a one-year contract.

No one else had interest. Johnson caught 48 balls last year, but averaged a dismal 7.9 YPC and got hurt again, missing two late-season games. Billy Miller and Mark Campbell will likely be in line for more snaps this year.

Bucs agreed to terms with RB Warrick Dunn on a two-year, $6 million contract, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

GoPackGo
03-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Well said. The situation isn't as dire as it's made about to me. Green Bay is a unique situation.

Not having a salary Cap would not be good for Green Bay or Packers fans.
Why should rich people and corporations be the only people who can afford to go to Packer games. Plenty of people, like my father in law for example, have been going to Packer games for 40+ years and they would be priced right out of thier seats. Thats not cool

Deputy Nutz
03-10-2008, 06:23 PM

Why should rich people and corporations be the only people who can afford to go to Packer games. Plenty of people, like my father in law for example, have been going to Packer games for 40+ years and they would be priced right out of thier seats. Thats not cool

If tickets went up another 25.00 bucks, so two hundred a season you telling me your father in law would sell his tickets?

The Badgers are doing a similar thing to season ticket holders, every year the tickets are going up 12 to 15 bucks. They were once one of the most reasonable ticket prices in the Big Ten, but now that they have become a national power, and demand is high, the prices go up, up, and up. Just the way life is, and if you want the Packers to be competitive, you won't care how much tickets cost. In fact I will be more willing to go to games knowing that I won't have to sit next to the 342 pound toothless woman shouting, "GO PACK GO!!!" for three straight hours.

MJZiggy
03-10-2008, 07:53 PM
I wasn't shouting for the WHOLE game, you dolt!!

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-10-2008, 08:22 PM
The Miami Herald reports Jason Taylor would like to be traded this offseason.

The Herald suggests that Miami's failure to land free agent OLB Calvin Pace makes a Taylor trade less likely, but a draft-day deal could happen if they pick UVA OLB/DE Chris Long No. 1 overall. Taylor reportedly wants to play on a contender. In the end, the odds seemingly favor a trade being worked out. Mar. 10 - 9:38 am et

GoPackGo
03-10-2008, 09:10 PM

If tickets went up another 25.00 bucks, so two hundred a season you telling me your father in law would sell his tickets?

The Badgers are doing a similar thing to season ticket holders, every year the tickets are going up 12 to 15 bucks. They were once one of the most reasonable ticket prices in the Big Ten, but now that they have become a national power, and demand is high, the prices go up, up, and up. Just the way life is, and if you want the Packers to be competitive, you won't care how much tickets cost. In fact I will be more willing to go to games knowing that I won't have to sit next to the 342 pound toothless woman shouting, "GO PACK GO!!!" for three straight hours.

I was referring to Leapers post about the average ticket price going from $60 to $180 being ok and Harvey agreeing with him.

Deputy Nutz
03-10-2008, 11:30 PM
I wouldn't pay 180 dollars. I know the stadium will always be sold out, but not by normal people. It will be like how all the banks own the seats at Panthers' home field.

Anyways, I don't care, I would still watch the game in front of my TV

Lurker64
03-10-2008, 11:47 PM

First off, it's not really important what we have seen, it's mostly important what the coaches have seen. The coaches see these guys, even the guys that don't play much, every day in practice and know a lot more about them than I do.

Second of all, last year in Barbre's limited time at guard, there were quite a few plays where he just got off the ball and mauled somebody. There were also quite a few plays where he looked as though he didn't understand what "blocking assignment" meant. But that's mental, and most anything mental can be corrected with repetition.

HarveyWallbangers
03-11-2008, 12:26 AM
I was referring to Leapers post about the average ticket price going from $60 to $180 being ok and Harvey agreeing with him.

The point isn't what I'd like. I pay pretty damn close to that now. The lady I go through raised her ticket prices to something like $135 this year. And I wish I would have gotten them--because by the time the game came around, tickets were being scalped for well over $200. The Packers could get away with higher ticket prices. I'm betting they could have some kind of national broadcast that would rake in money. They'll have high merchandise sales. Not all of the Packer fans out there aren't going to suddenly quit buying jerseys because Favre retired. Also, we don't have an owner. That means the profits get spent on the team. Not for some fat-cat owner to put in his pocket.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-11-2008, 12:29 AM
This is one guy I wouldn't mined giving up draft picks for. I doubt it would ever happen though.

Jared Allen showed up to the Chiefs' 101 Banquet, normally a black-tie affair, in cowboy boots and jeans to receive the Derrick Thomas team MVP award.

We'll see if he shows up for minicamps. Allen made it clear that he wouldn't be happy if he got the franchise tag, but the Chiefs slapped him with it on February 18. He claimed this would be his last year in a Chiefs uniform.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Larry Fitzgerald and the Cardinals have agreed to a four-year, $40 million contract, with $30 million guaranteed. Fitzgerald's personal website broke the news.

He'll get $33 million over the next three years,$17 million in salary and bonuses this year, and a no-trade clause. The deal gets the Cardinals out of the terrible rookie contract they negotiated with Fitzgerald, but comes too late for them to make any impact free agent signings. That was their own fault and they can now re-up their players more easily. It will likely be officially announced this afternoon.

Panthers WR Dwayne Jarrett was arrested Tuesday in Mecklenberg County, North Carolina for driving while impaired.

This can't help his chances of being counted on for a major a role in Carolina's offense. Jarrett hardly saw the field as a rookie, and another off-field infraction would almost surely lead to a league-imposed suspension. This will also likely place Jarrett in the league's substance abuse program.

twoseven
03-11-2008, 01:41 PM
That new deal for Fitz clears up almost 9 mil in cap space for the Cardinals. I wonder if that allows them to go after FA LB Brandon Chillar more aggresively now.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-11-2008, 02:34 PM

That is already the case even with the current CBA, Ty.

Without a cap, Green Bay is still well positioned...but major adjustments would have to be made.

1. The Packers would have to capitalize on that massive waiting list by raising prices to meet demand...so they rake in the profits, not season ticket holders. The Packers could probably raise ticket prices 200% and still sell out every seat in the crib...although there might be a significant turnover in who are in the seats. Most other markets, big or small, couldn't even think about raising prices to bring in additional revenue.

I don't know the exact figures, but if the average ticket price now is $60, that brings in roughly $34M over 8 home games. Boost the average price up to $180, and Green Bay now brings in roughly $100M over 8 games.

$180 isn't a ridiculous number...just look on Stubhub.com and you'll see that is roughly market value for most games, even though the Packers only see a fraction of that revenue.

2. The Packers have a huge nation-wide fan base, and could basically start their own TV channel if they wanted to. Without shared TV revenue, the Packers would actually gain a ton of money...as their fan base has proven to be one of the top 3 in the entire NFL in terms of viewership. Green Bay could pull down TV revenue just as great...maybe greater...than major market teams.

The current share of the TV pie for Green Bay is roughly $120M a year...based on league annual TV revenue of roughly $4B. Without shared revenue, that $4B pie is up for grabs...and Green Bay's position as a dominant player in being able to bring consistent numbers of viewers would likely net at least three times what their current share is, or $350M annually.

The one drawback Green Bay would face is that they don't have an ultra-rich owner who can dip into his own millions or billions to finance the team. However, few rich owners are going to blow ridiculous sums of money on the football team. If Green Bay increases their revenue $60M a year in ticket revenue and $200M in TV revenue, they will have roughly $400M a year to spend.

That is almost FOUR TIMES the current cap figure. As such, Green Bay doesn't have to worry about losing the cap IMO in personal terms...although the blow it would deal to the league as a whole, as at least 10-12 franchises would probably go under, obviously is of great concern to all NFL fans.

I think you are missing the point. GB isn't an attractive place to play for most players.

1. This is a good point, but i think you are wrong about a lot of places..NYC, Dallas, Denver, Chitown, etc. And, i'm not completely sure that Wisco people would pay those prices, and if they did, perhaps the love affair with the small, we own it team would die. Part of what makes GB special is that it is unique. That would be lost.

2. I think you overstate this. Those fans are much older and less inclined to pay. The youngsters aren't part of that...it is holdovers from the glory years.

Besides, it isn't even feasible. The BTN had enough problems. At best you might get it on Satellite and many don't like that. Just wouldn't happen. Not enough revenue to even consider it.

If we are really looking at it, nobody is gonna do it, but if we were to consider that...how about the cowboys or Giants or Bears.

Players are gonna wanna go where they like to live..warm climates, tax free...hello az, hello florida, hello texas, cali, etc....or where they can make substantial dollars thru marketing..hello NYC.

Or where they can get a lot of p*ssy.

The salary cap keeps players coming our way. If SD can't keep Manning you think players are gonna wanna come/stay in GB. Not a chance.

Just remember how hard it was to get FAs before. Reggie was a major coup. At the time it was almost unheard of that he would come.

If we did get players it would be because we overpay. Great. Is that "packer people?"

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Panthers released C Justin Hartwig.

The move clears the way for Ryan Kalil to start at center. The Panthers had planned on having Hartwig slide over to the guard, but he was never keen on the idea so they cut him. Keydrick Vincent and Geoff Hangartner will compete for the job.

Dolphins signed K Dave Rayner to a one-year deal.

Incumbent Jay Feely struggled on kickoffs last season, but the Dolphins hope P Brandon Fields can takeover those duties. Rayner will have to outperform Feely to win the job, but could get a boost if Fields proves unreliable on kickoffs.

KYPack
03-11-2008, 03:54 PM

The move clears the way for Ryan Kalil to start at center. The Panthers had planned on having Hartwig slide over to the guard, but he was never keen on the idea so they cut him. Keydrick Vincent and Geoff Hangartner will compete for the job.

Incumbent Jay Feely struggled on kickoffs last season, but the Dolphins hope P Brandon Fields can takeover those duties. Rayner will have to outperform Feely to win the job, but could get a boost if Fields proves unreliable on kickoffs.

Rayner may have a shot to play for all 32 teams!

There was talk that he was kind of a jerk when he was cut last season.

May be true, eh?

Tyrone Bigguns
03-11-2008, 05:37 PM

But, he is way better than Crosby. Just ask merlin.

Merlin will be saying that when Rayner is on his 8th team.

Rayner may have a shot to play for all 32 teams!

There was talk that he was kind of a jerk when he was cut last season.

May be true, eh?

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-12-2008, 06:47 AM
ANQUAN BOLTIN'?

Now that the Cardinals have locked up receiver Larry Fitzgerald at a more affordable (or, as the case may be, less unaffordable) price over the next four seasons, they might have to deal with another thorny issue at the position.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Anquan Boldin could want more money and/or a trade in the wake of Fitzgerald's $10 million-per-year contract.

Per Schefter, some in the Cardinals organization actually regard Boldin as the better wideout. But Boldin will make far, far less than Fitzgerald over the next three seasons -- he's due to earn base salaries of $2.5 million, $2.75 million, $3 million.

In our view, Fitzgerald and Boldin together is a luxury that the Cardinals don't need, especially with coach Ken Whisenhunt presumably trying to bring a Pittsburgh-style power running vibe to the desert.

Assuming that the Cardinals have a plan (which could be a dangerous assumption because we're talking about, you know, the Cardinals), the huge deal given to Fitzgerald should be regarded as evidence that they've opted to keep Fitzgerald over the long haul, and to get what they can for Boldin.

Throw in the fact that Boldin is represented by Drew Rosenhaus, and the stage is set for Boldin to start making noise about moving on.

Possible destinations are Philly, Dallas, and the Redskins.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-12-2008, 06:50 AM
KJR 950 in Seattle reports the Seahawks are close to releasing Shaun Alexander.

Reporters met with coach Mike Holmgren at the team's practice facility on Tuesday and he acknowledged he was speaking to Alexander. However, Holmgren said no move is imminent because Alexander is injured. When asked outright if Alexander will be cut, Holmgren deferred to GM Tim Ruskell. Mar. 11 - 9:11 pm et

Chargers special teamer Kassim Osgood plans to skip pre-training camp workouts to protest his minimal use as a receiver.

"I'm not happy," he said. "Another year of special teams is going to kick my (butt)." The two-time Pro Bowler has requested a trade. "I'm getting typecast into being a special-teams guy," Osgood said. "That's not what I am." Mar. 11 - 10:21 am et

Falcons re-signed Joey Harrington to a one-year, $1 million contract, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

Getting cut in a salary cap move, then re-signing days later for $1.5 million less is a sign your NFL juice is gone. Harrington made the right move to return, because he still has a legitimate chance at starting over Chris Redman or a rookie to be named later. He can be a capable backup, but tends to fade when he starts for long stretches. Mar. 11 - 5:47 pm et

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Packers MLB Nick Barnett pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct charges stemming from an incident at an Appleton nightclub last summer.

Barnett allegedly hit drinks out of two women's hands, then knocked one to the floor. He won't have a criminal record, but may still face NFL discipline.

The 49ers have decided against issuing Isaac Bruce the No. 80.

Bruce never asked for Jerry Rice's old number, but the 49ers decided it wasn't a good idea to even offer it. They'll probably retire the number after Rice is inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He'll be eligible in 2010.

Titans agreed to terms with WR Justin McCareins on a one-year, $1 million contract.

McCareins knows OC Mike Heimerdinger's offense and adds another deep threat to the Titans' middling receiver corps. But his signing bonus is small and he won't be guaranteed a roster spot. The Titans figure to keep rotating WRs in 2008, leaving McCareins to battle Brandon Jones, Roydell Williams, Justin Gage, Mike and Paul Williams, Chris Davis, and Biren Ealy for snaps.

Bengals re-signed LB Roy Manning to a one-year contract.

The 6'2/245-pound 'backer will compete for a spot on special teams.

falco
03-12-2008, 06:35 PM
i liked manning when he was here

Lurker64
03-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Hmm... interesting, could he fall into our laps?

NFL Network's Mike Mayock reports that Oregon RB Jonathan Stewart may need surgery on his big toe. The procedure would keep him out four to six months.

Source (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/showscontent?page=/nflnetwork/programs/pathtothedraft&subjectType=pathtothedraft)

Lurker64
03-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Ravens signed CB Frank Walker to a two-year, $3.5 million contract.

If we don't sign anybody at all, I wonder if we can get a 7th round compensatory out of this.

Brohm
03-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Ravens signed CB Frank Walker to a two-year, $3.5 million contract.

If we don't sign anybody at all, I wonder if we can get a 7th round compensatory out of this.

Wow...all hell has broken loose in FA. :shock:

DannoMac21
03-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Lions released RB Kevin Jones

Texans signed RB Chris Brown

GoPackGo
03-13-2008, 05:04 PM
The Lions released Kevin "bumfoot" Jones today

GrnBay007
03-13-2008, 11:21 PM
LB Chillar to Cards or Packers?

Linebacker Brandon Chillar ? a two-year starter for the Rams ? continues to mull his options. Chillar has made free-agent trips to Arizona and Green Bay. But the Rams are still believed to be in the picture. -- St. Louis Post-Dispatch

GrnBay007
03-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Poll
Should the Vikes go with Tarvaris Jackson at QB?

38% Yes: He's good enough

62% No: He's not the answer

Total Votes: 4029

~CBS Sports

packrulz
03-14-2008, 06:08 AM
The Lions released Kevin "bumfoot" Jones today

They also released DE Kalimba Edwards, maybe they're washed up but I thought both of them used to be pretty good.

run pMc
03-14-2008, 08:18 AM
If Jones could stay healthy, I could see him being a decent back. He gained over 1100 yds his rookie season. He has some talent, I don't know how good the OL's were for him. Maybe a good player to have as a backup...
As for Edwards, I thought he was touted as a great athlete. His stats don't really suggest he's a great pass rusher though...never had more than 7 sacks in a season. Makes me wonder if he falls into the "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" category.

The Frank Walker signing doesn't faze me much. I didn't think he got much playing time, and $3M for a seldom used CB is a bit pricey. Like GB, BAL has aging CB's, but I wonder if they have less depth. Seems like the remaining backups (Blackmon, Bush, Williams) saw a good chunk of playing time last year...hopefully they will "make the leap" to be more consistent and improved players. I think TT will replace Walker with a draft pick.

Lurker64
03-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Free agent Robert Ferguson is expected to re-sign with the Vikings Friday.

Watch out, he's back!

cheesner
03-14-2008, 02:48 PM

Watch out, he's back!This could be his breakout year!

:roll:

Green Bud Packer
03-14-2008, 03:13 PM

Watch out, he's back!This could be his breakout year!

:roll:

are the vikes playing in a paper bag this year?

chain_gang
03-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Any news on D.J. Hackett, I heard he got an offer from the Redskins. Receiver is not one of the Packers needs but Hackett's a young, big, can run. He could be a nice red-zone target for Rodgers, if he can stay healthy.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-14-2008, 11:44 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/wcStory?contentId=6534058&storyNumber=1

Carolina's DE Julius Peppers to Vikings?

If Carolina becomes convinced it can't re-sign Julius Peppers, who becomes an unrestricted free agent next year and wants a boatload of money, and if the Vikings are willing to part with their first-round (No. 17) draft pick next month plus at least $20 million in guaranteed money, Minnesota might be able to trade for the star defensive end. -- Pioneer Press

twoseven
03-15-2008, 07:02 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/wcStory?contentId=6534058&storyNumber=1

Carolina's DE Julius Peppers to Vikings?

If Carolina becomes convinced it can't re-sign Julius Peppers, who becomes an unrestricted free agent next year and wants a boatload of money, and if the Vikings are willing to part with their first-round (No. 17) draft pick next month plus at least $20 million in guaranteed money, Minnesota might be able to trade for the star defensive end. -- Pioneer Press
In their dreams.

It's going to take more than their first pick to land Peppers. With the moves that other teams made this offseason to trade for guys like Rodgers, Stroud, Jenkins, and Corey Williams and the money they got paid..landing a fulltime DE of Peppers caliber that is still young is going to cost more than that. I'm sure Carolina is also just dying to send him to an already contending NFC team with two solid DTs, make their chances of arriving in the post season that much tougher.

Their first rounder and nothing else might land them Jason Taylor, but Peppers, yeah right. I could see CAR asking for a 1st and a 3rd, or even a 1st and a 2nd.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Dolphins agreed to terms with WR Tab Perry, formerly of the Bengals.

Perry flashed in practice as a Bengal and can return kicks but never stayed healthy. If he can get his hip issues worked out, Perry could be an asset on special teams. Otherwise, he will likely struggle to make an im

BallHawk
03-16-2008, 11:27 AM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/16715576.html

Fergy Stays in Minny

Receiver Robert Ferguson became the first of the Vikings' nine unrestricted free agents to return to the team Saturday when he signed a one-year contract that will pay close to $1 million and provide an opportunity to make an additional $500,000 to $600,000 in incentives.

Ferguson's agent, Brian Overstreet, said Chicago, Pittsburgh and "a couple other" teams also expressed interest in the veteran but that his client did not make any visits.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-16-2008, 03:04 PM

Fergy Stays in Minny

Receiver Robert Ferguson became the first of the Vikings' nine unrestricted free agents to return to the team Saturday when he signed a one-year contract that will pay close to $1 million and provide an opportunity to make an additional $500,000 to $600,000 in incentives.

Ferguson's agent, Brian Overstreet, said Chicago, Pittsburgh and "a couple other" teams also expressed interest in the veteran but that his client did not make any visits.

Now thats a great signing!

Bretsky
03-16-2008, 03:12 PM

Fergy Stays in Minny

Da Fraud is still employed; hard to believe. When they say "expressed interest" I bet those conversations were something like this. "If your client doesn't find any work we'd be happy to bring him in for minimum wage. Give us a call in August." :lol:

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Jets agreed to terms with TE Bubba Franks, formerly of the Packers.

Franks, 30, caught 18 passes for 132 yards (7.2 YPC) and three TDs in 2007 as Donald Lee's backup. He's slowed down quite a bit, but can still help in the run game. Franks will be the Jets' No. 2 tight end behind Chris Baker.

Jason Taylor said on Sirius Radio Saturday that he expects to remain with the Dolphins in 2008.

"That's where I want to be," Taylor said. "It's where I am, and I'm not retiring. There's been no (trade). Is it possible that something happens in the future? They can decide to do whatever they want. They're in charge." Taylor, 33, counts $10 million against the cap. Miami will likely listen to draft-day offers.

Michigan WR Mario Manningham improved his forty time at his Pro Day to 4.44 and 4.38.

This is encouraging. Manningham officially ran a 4.59 at the NFL Combine. At his Pro Day, he also jumped 35" vertically and had a 4.38 short shuttle time. He still has an outside chance to be a late first-round pick.

This should put Mario's stock back up. He was droping from the 1st to the 4th round in some mocks I have seen.

BallHawk
03-16-2008, 03:26 PM

Fergy Stays in Minny

The Bears should of gone after him harder. Honestly, they need a WR, any receiver. Fergy could possibly start for them!

Bretsky
03-16-2008, 03:38 PM

Fergy Stays in Minny

I'm not convinced Da Fraud could start for the Packerrats football team, and even if he did he'd get hurt anyways

The Bears should of gone after him harder. Honestly, they need a WR, any receiver. Fergy could possibly start for them!

b bulldog
03-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Must be nice to be a Vikings fan if that move is getting worked on. Peppers is overrated imo but he would be an upgrade from what they have at DE.

Partial
03-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Must be nice to be a Vikings fan if that move is getting worked on. Peppers is overrated imo but he would be an upgrade from what they have at DE.

I'd give up a first and two seconds. He's very good.

b bulldog
03-16-2008, 10:01 PM
When motivated, he is a beast

HarveyWallbangers
03-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Bubba signed with the Jets on a one year deal.

Tracy White resigned with the Packers.

GrnBay007
03-17-2008, 12:21 AM
I'm gonna miss Bubba. :(

Lurker64
03-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Tracy White resigned with the Packers.

Good, he was a very important contributor on our special teams last year, a large part of what went well with our coverage units.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Larry Fitzgerald hasn't formally signed his four-year, $40 million contract, which has prevented the Cardinals from signing Brandon Chillar.

Fitzgerald is awaiting league approval. Chillar is apparently willing to wait because Arizona is his preferred destination. Fitz signing will free up $9 million in cap room. The Packers appear to be out of the race for Chillar.

Panthers agreed to terms with WR D.J. Hackett on a two-year, $3.5 million contract, according to Scout.com's Adam Caplan.

While Hackett has dealt with injuries, he's been highly productive when healthy and is only 26. In Carolina, he becomes the top candidate to start opposite Steve Smith with Muhsin Muhammad likely working from the slot. Dwayne Jarrett will compete with Ryne Robinson to be the fourth receiver. Hackett has vertical and red-zone ability and should draw some attention away from Smith. His addition is good news for all Panthers skill players besides Jarrett. Expect solid WR3/4 numbers if Hackett starts.

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Larry Fitzgerald hasn't formally signed his four-year, $40 million contract, which has prevented the Cardinals from signing Brandon Chillar.

Fitzgerald is awaiting league approval. Chillar is apparently willing to wait because Arizona is his preferred destination. Fitz signing will free up $9 million in cap room. The Packers appear to be out of the race for Chillar.

This probably explains why Green Bay is talking to Poppinga on a long-term contract. They figure Chillar, Bailey, and the others are at a comparable level in skill to Poppinga--and those guys priced themselves out of the Packers price range. As nice as it was to think about Briggs or somebody like that, no team is going to be willing to pay three LBs big money. A nickel corner will often play as much or more than a 3rd LB.

twoseven
03-17-2008, 02:25 PM
When it's all said and done with Chillar in AZ we'll see how much cheaper than Briggs he actually is, he might not end up being that much of a discount.

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2008, 03:18 PM
When it's all said and done with Chillar in AZ we'll see how much cheaper than Briggs he actually is, he might not end up being that much of a discount.

I'm guessing he'll be considerably cheaper, but we'll see. I'm sure he and his agent talked money with the Packers, and they were close enough on the money that they brought him in. Guys don't visit teams without knowing the money is close. That would seem to show that Chillar isn't going to get big money. (Maybe the Cardinals will overpay because of the competition from the Packers.) Briggs seemed to want to stay in Chicago, and gave the Bears a home team discount.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-17-2008, 04:58 PM
ESPN's John Clayton reports the contract DeAngelo Hall is expected to sign after he's acquired by Oakland will be for six years and over $50 million.

Nnamdi Asomugha is going to want (and deserve) at least that. Asante Samuel's with the Eagles was for six years and $57.14 million. Clayton says Raiders owner Al Davis is pulling out all the stops to make this deal a reality.

Lurker64
03-17-2008, 05:10 PM
What the hell is Al Davis doing?

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Asked early Tuesday where he'd like to play in 2008, Chad Johnson answered "where I can win a playoff game and get to the Super Bowl."

Asked if Cincinnati is a place he can do that, Johnson said "I'm not sure." "My focus is not on football now. I don't start working out on my own until April." It sounds like Johnson doesn't plan to participate in the Bengals' offseason conditioning program, beginning March 24. He can receive a $250,000 bonus for reporting on that date.

I'd give a 3rd for FW.

The San Francisco Chronicle confirms that the Raiders are actively shopping CB Fabian Washington.

If Washington hadn't lost his confidence and job to Stanford Routt in 2007 and been accused of domestic battery in February, his value would be a lot higher. As is, Oakland shouldn't be asking for more than a third-round pick.
Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Lurker64
03-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Former Packers first-round pick Ahmad Carroll is currently playing for the Arena League's Orlando Predators.

Carroll's last tryout for an NFL team was with the Jets in December. The Preds are coached by Jay Gruden, Jon's younger brother. "He has a ton of talent, but he hasn't done anything in a game for us yet," Jay said of Carroll.

Source (http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080316/PKR01/803160667/1989)

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Former Packers first-round pick Ahmad Carroll is currently playing for the Arena League's Orlando Predators.

Carroll's last tryout for an NFL team was with the Jets in December. The Preds are coached by Jay Gruden, Jon's younger brother. "He has a ton of talent, but he hasn't done anything in a game for us yet," Jay said of Carroll.

Source (http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080316/PKR01/803160667/1989)

:lol:

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-18-2008, 08:12 PM
The Vikings will host free agent Gus Frerotte on Wednesday.

A big downgrade from their initial target, Sage Rosenfels, but he would've cost a second-round pick. Frerotte, 36, should only cost a league minimum salary, but the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports he'll visit with Green Bay first.

As expected, the Packers and Giants have dropped out of the race for free agent LB Brandon Chillar.

The Rams and Cardinals are left to bid for his services. Chillar favors playing in the desert, but Arizona remains hamstrung with Larry Fitzgerald's contract still unsigned. St. Louis' chances of retaining Chillar are growing.

Guiness
03-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Asked early Tuesday where he'd like to play in 2008, Chad Johnson answered "where I can win a playoff game and get to the Super Bowl."

Asked if Cincinnati is a place he can do that, Johnson said "I'm not sure." "My focus is not on football now. I don't start working out on my own until April." It sounds like Johnson doesn't plan to participate in the Bengals' offseason conditioning program, beginning March 24. He can receive a $250,000 bonus for reporting on that date.

I'd give a 3rd for FW.

A third for CJ (the CJ that's actually shown he can play)???

Wow, that's WAY undervaluing him. He's easily a top 10 receiver in the league, doesn't have an injury history, and for all his fooling around, has kept out of trouble...most of the stuff he's done has been more 'goofy' than anything else. He could well have his best years ahead of him.

If he moves, I'd have to think it's for a first (minimum).

Charles Woodson
03-23-2008, 05:24 PM

I'd give a 3rd for FW.

A third for CJ (the CJ that's actually shown he can play)???

Wow, that's WAY undervaluing him. He's easily a top 10 receiver in the league, doesn't have an injury history, and for all his fooling around, has kept out of trouble...most of the stuff he's done has been more 'goofy' than anything else. He could well have his best years ahead of him.

If he moves, I'd have to think it's for a first (minimum).

i think Packfan n md was talking about fabian washington

but anyways

Texans | Gray set to sign with team
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 13:30:54 -0700

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports free-agent QB Quinn Gray (Jaguars) said he is set to sign a one-year contract with the Houston Texans. The team is giving him a one-year deal worth $635,000, including $40,000 to sign.

red
03-23-2008, 06:35 PM

good god, the guy even sucks in the arena league

great pick there sherman