PDA

View Full Version : Questions for 2008

RashanGary
03-07-2008, 10:15 AM
1. Was this team all Favre or was the team a bigger part of it?
2. Is Ted Thompson for real or was he riding Brett's coattails?
3. Was Aaron Rodgers a wasted pick, a great one or somewhere in between?
4. Is Harrell a dud and a waste of a mid first round pick?

RashanGary
03-07-2008, 10:18 AM

1. I think the team had a big part and this years record will show that
2. I think Ted Thompson is for real. I think this team is going to be good for a long time.
3. I'm getting optimistic about Rodgers. I'm trying to hold back my homeristic optimism, but after watching that Cowboy game over and over and reading about Rodgers drive and work ethic, I'm going to say it turns into on of Thompsons best picks
4. I think Harrell is going to kick ass this year.

There, I'm the biggest homer on this site :)

Deputy Nutz
03-07-2008, 10:33 AM

1. Favre was a really big part of this offense, especially in 2007. The team rallied around their grizzled vet and fed off his success. Although Favre benefited from McCarthy's offensive scheme, and the fact that his receivers lead the league in yards after the catch.

2. Ted Thompson is for real. He put talent around Favre for him to be successful. he got rid of dead weight and managed the cap. He has a keen eye for college prospects. He doesn't get caught up in preceptions and sticks to his guns with the draft, free agency, and team matters. Everything is speculation because Thompson hasn't been the GM of the Green Bay Packers without Favre

3. At this point no, Rodgers is the starting quarterback for the Green Bay Packers. If Favre came back in then at the very least Rodgers was a nice security blanket, and a reasonable cost for a top tier backup QB.

4. To early to tell, he showed some flashes, but he also showed how raw he is in terms of being an NFL ready defensive tackle. He is big, has strength, and athletic ability, what he needs is time, and technique. Ask me this question again in 2009 and we should all have the answer. Look at Jimmy Kennedy former first round pick of the Rams. He was a can't miss prospect coming from Penn St. but he has bombed in the NFL at this point.

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2008, 10:42 AM
There, I'm the biggest asshat on this site :)

Fixed.

oregonpackfan
03-07-2008, 10:45 AM

1. Favre was definitely the leader but the team improved overall. The defensive unite showed considerable improvement which gave Favre more time on the field. In addition, the Packers started to find a running game.

2. Ted Thompson is methodically rebuilding the Packers and doing a good job. Packer fans need to remember that TT is trying to turnaround the abolutely horrible job Mike Sherman did has GM. That turnaround has taken, and will continue to take time.

3. I feel the Rodgers was a good pick. Thus far, the only evidence we have of Rodgers performing well as a starter was his very good performance in the Cowboys game. He needs to prove that he can be consistently effective and to stay healthy.

4. If Harrell's second year is like his first, he will be a "dud" of a first round pick. Hopefully, a thorough off-season conditioning program will prepare him to come in stronger this year. A year of experience should also help his adjustment. From what I learn, he has a good attitude. This will be a very important year for Harrell.

The Leaper
03-07-2008, 10:51 AM
1. No TEAM is entirely one person. Favre was a large reason for the success of the offense last year though. His presence forced the defense to respect the pass because of his experience and skill in getting the ball out quickly...despite a mediocre interior OL.

2. Ted Thompson has found Greg Jennings, Donald Lee, Charles Woodson, Ryan Pickett, Atari Bigby, AJ Hawk, etc, etc, etc. It is impossible to argue he was riding Favre's coattails.

3. We have no idea how good Rodgers can be yet. Trying to speculate is ridiculous. He did fill an important need at the time...a young talented QB to groom behind Favre.

4. We have no idea how good Harrell can be yet. Trying to speculate is ridiculous.

RashanGary
03-07-2008, 11:06 AM
The whole point was that these were questions that havn't been answered yet, but will be a lot closer to being answered after this year. I took a guess at what I think will happen, but I admit I'm peering through green and gold goggles right now. Preseason might put a damper on that.

Partial
03-07-2008, 11:21 AM
There, I'm the biggest asshat on this site :)

Fixed.

Nice! :lol:

pbmax
03-07-2008, 11:27 AM
1.Team was the majority reason for the success, but Favre was the single biggest factor. Barring a defensive leap, this good team could be 7-9 with poor QB play.

2. Thompson is for real, but because he is a great evaluator and had remade the bottom two thirds of the roster, doesn't mean yet that he can fill the top spots and compete for Super Bowls.

3. Less than half of first round picks develop into long term starters in NFL. Rodgers looks fine so far and will benefit from three training camps, preseason games and not being beaten into submission as a young QB. But the jury is still out. He was a good pick so far.

4. Like #3, not willing to bail on him yet. Lineman can take time to develop, look at Corey Williams or Albert Haynesworth. Answer to question is no.

Partial
03-07-2008, 11:38 AM
"2. Thompson is for real, but because he is a great evaluator and had remade the bottom two thirds of the roster, doesn't mean yet that he can fill the top spots and compete for Super Bowls. "

wpony
03-07-2008, 11:51 AM

1. Goes both ways you cant separate it Brett was a very important part in MMs offense and who knows how good Brett would do on some one elses the last few yrs before TT and MM came back people were starting to say Brett was loosing his arm so I think they needed each other.

2. I would say he is for real for the same reasons I quoted in number 1

3. I think Arod will be a good starting QB in the NFL will he be a superstar like Brett who knows only time will say I think his time on the bench did him good with out that I don't think he would have made it.

4. Hard to say on Harrel I think being on the bench and studying and lifting weights is not going to hurt him but the answer on him wont be known till after this next yr is over yet

denverYooper
03-07-2008, 12:13 PM

1. The team has a lot of talent and I had been thinking, pre-Favre-retirement, that some of the young guys were going to need to step up next season to shoulder some of the load that was traditionally doled to #4. That said, I think the value of Favre as the iconic, passionate field general that everyone rallies around will be very much missed. Rodgers should be able to step in and do pretty well with our receiving corps, but can he infuse the team with the passion that Favre could? That's one of those "intangibles" that *can* mean an extra 3 wins.

2. Ted Thompson has the team going in the right direction. If he was a guy that was "riding Brett's coattails", he would have wasted a bunch of money on buying toys for Favre over the last 2 years.

3. The jury's out on Rodgers. He played well in the Cowboys game. There's the injury problem, but that may not be as much of a factor when he's conditioned to be the #1 QB and not a backup. I'm excited that he can scramble and that will open some things up, but I hope he doesn't get busted up doing it.

4. Harrell can't be called a dud yet. He seemed to improve near the end of the year, and I saw him make some nice plays at times. (I think it was) during the second Bears game, I saw him drag a double team down to the opposite end of the line to make a tackle. If he can do that consistently, he'll be a hoss. Plus, he stayed at Tennessee an extra year because he felt he owed it to the team. That says a lot about his dedication.

cheesner
03-07-2008, 01:06 PM

1. Favre was the biggest factor, but he wasn't the only factor. Of course it is a team effort, but Favre's factor is absolutely necessary to win.
2. TT is the real deal. I don't remember a team that has turned it around in such a short time. Folks complain of not enough FAs are signed - but TT is showing it is not necessary for winning. I believe, if you look across the NFL, it more often hurts a team rather than helps. (future salalry cap, locker room cohesiveness, etc often suffer)
3. Won't know for sure what we have in AR. But from early views, he looks very promising in the limited action he has seen. I would never consider it a wasted pick. All the GM can do is grab very likely candidates. QB is just one of those positions, you either hit or miss. AR has all the physical tools, the drive, leadership, and the mental understanding that will likely bring success. Lets just hope things click for him.
4. Harrell I think may turn out good. He has the strength, size, and love of the game in order to make it. Whether he has the durability is yet to be seen. Clips of him throwing around OLmen in college, swatting the pass down, intercepting the pass, and running for a TD are amazing. He is a rare specimen to have that size and that athletic ability. People say he isn't a pass rusher, which is true, he can't get around people. But you don't need to when you drive the blocker back 10 yards. He can be a huge disruptive force for other teams to contend with. I am excited about the potential.

woodbuck27
03-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Good questions JH. :D

I believe that Favre was definitely our best playmaker in 2007.The man ws air player of the week almost 33% measured against the entire NFL. His seaaon speaks for itself.

You can have talent WR's but you need a QB that can get the ball to them in a confident manner. someone that is on the same page as the fella making the play calls but know when to change the play up -call the audible,see the option.

Favre.

Easily our best offensive playmaker. Losing him could lead to opredictions we'll slip in the NFCN. I will wait as I know that many here are sensitive to any such suggestion.

I need to try to just get used to time without FAVRE.

I'll be honest and say I don't know who or what Ted Thompson is except the GM I need to get my team to a Super Bowl and win a Championship.I feel there is to much to desire in him to accomplish that.

I get a pretty good read on people. As Y'all get to know me you'll see I'm a decent analyst. I pay attention. I see it and call it just that way.

Then there's the Scott Campbell style wanna be's or snafoo's or ''what in the 'H' is going on in this NFL world?'' types. It's difficult for a snafoo to read a comic book with any clear comprehension.

Well he waited Favre out. He may well be our starting QB in 2008 and beyond. I feel we could have used another pick when he was taken that was for today to help Favre but in the name 'of patience' it's now Aaron Rodgers's time.

So no wasted pick unless he falters.The book on Aaron Rodgers is now open.

I hated this pick and I didn't see a lot that got my mojo up in terms of WOW look at Justin Harrell. He was coming off a serious injury in College so we may get more this season in Justin Harrell.

Bottom line is it's too early to say a lousy first round pick. It could be worse and he simply BUSTS!!

Justin Harrell and Good Pick = Time

PACKERS FOREVER!

Scott Campbell
03-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I get a pretty good read on people. As y,all get to know me you'll see I'm a decent analyst. I pay attention.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Deputy Nutz
03-07-2008, 03:48 PM
I get a pretty good read on people. As y,all get to know me you'll see I'm a decent analyst. I pay attention.

I knew all along he was Larry Zonka.

woodbuck27
03-07-2008, 04:31 PM

My bear is a whole lot smarter than your bear junior. :D

woodbuck27
03-07-2008, 04:38 PM

Smoke up on this Scott.

Then there's the Scott Campbell style wanna be's or snafoo's or ''what in the 'H' is going on in this NFL world?'' types.

I've discovered that.

It's difficult for a snafoo to read a comic book with any clear comprehension.

Scott Campbell
03-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Well, I guess that's supposed to be some kind of an insult. I'm not quite sure what language its in, but I imagine there are some pretty good zingers in there - somewhere.

Woody's acting a little angry over the Favre news. I guess he needs to lash out, and I am here for him.

Bretsky
03-07-2008, 05:08 PM

1. I think the team had a big part and this years record will show that
2. I think Ted Thompson is for real. I think this team is going to be good for a long time.
3. I'm getting optimistic about Rodgers. I'm trying to hold back my homeristic optimism, but after watching that Cowboy game over and over and reading about Rodgers drive and work ethic, I'm going to say it turns into on of Thompsons best picks
4. I think Harrell is going to kick ass this year.

There, I'm the biggest homer on this site :)

If there were such a thing as a TT Troll you'd be the one :lol:

Bretsky
03-07-2008, 05:12 PM

1. A major part of 13-3 was the play of Favre, but TT added the talent around him for the opportunity

2. TT is for real; he's the perfect GM for rebuilding and life After Favre

3. Not sure; I think he's brittle. He has talent, but I'm not convinced that he can stay healthy enough long enough to be effective.

4. Not sure; he seems like a run stuffer. I'm not sure he'll develop into the dominant DL I'd want in a first round pick.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-07-2008, 05:23 PM

I get a pretty good read on people. As Y'all get to know me you'll see I'm a decent analyst. I pay attention. I see it and call it just that way.

Exactly how do you get your read on TT? Magic? You haven't met him, you haven't talked with him, you don't know anybody who has, you don't know anybody that is privy to his thoughts.

To think you can get a read on someone based on limited exposure thru the MEDIA is asinine at best.

Scott Campbell
03-07-2008, 05:34 PM

chain_gang
03-07-2008, 05:35 PM

1. It was a combination, for all the questions about their talent on Offense before the start of the year, they ended up with at least three playmakers on offense. Favre took advantage of the talent, and hopefully Rodgers will too.

2. TT is great at stockpile depth that can fill in for an injured starter, but it remains to be seen if he can find solid starters through the draft and not just replaceable ones. Hawk is solid, and so is Jennings, the jury's out on Rodgers and Harrell. We'll need starting tackles soon, corners are getting up their, safety is a question, Driver is getting older. As I said, he's done great finding solid backups, but we're still getting pretty old at some key skill positions, and have a few ?'s at others. I think he'll come through, though.

3. Rodgers, it's still early, but I've like him since his days at Cal. His arm strength has improved, has good mobility, accuracy I'm not totally sure about yet. It's seems every offseason he has improved, I expect him to improve quite a bit during this offseason, especially getting all the reps now. I'll say a good pick.

4. Harrell, I don't know, I was on the WTF bandwagon when we drafted him(Really wanted Dwayne Bowe aka Sterling Sharpe v2.0), but he does seem that he can be a solid run stuffer. That alone would make him at #16 alright with me, can never have enough pilely fat bodies to clog up the middle.

Scott Campbell
03-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Exactly how do you get your read on TT? Magic?

Tyrone you moron - he already told you. He pays attention and stuff. That's the secret sauce.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Exactly how do you get your read on TT? Magic?

Tyrone you moron - he already told you. He pays attention and stuff. That's the secret sauce.

Now, now, scott...we all know i'm a moron..i'm a crackhead!

I want to know exactly what stuff that is. Does he see aura's, is it frenology, body language, color of suit he wears?

I'm convinced that Woody is John Edwards.

woodbuck27
03-07-2008, 05:46 PM

Exactly how do you get your read on TT? Magic? You haven't met him, you haven't talked with him, you don't know anybody who has, you don't know anybody that is privy to his thoughts.

To think you can get a read on someone based on limited exposure thru the MEDIA is asinine at best.

Jaysus he's about as easy to read as a pad of toilet tissue Laddie.

TT= nothing in there

Scott Campbell
03-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Jaysus he's about as easy to read as a pad of toilet tissue Laddie.

TT= nothing in there

And you say Kiper's analysis is a little shallow?

b bulldog
03-08-2008, 09:00 AM
All favre? He had the leading rusher or close to it since week 8 or so, his wr's had the most run after the catch yardage, his Oline did a very good job in protection and he had a solid D. One more thing, by luck, they were pretty much injury free.

b bulldog
03-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Brett had a fantastic year and that imo, is some of the reason why he is gone cause I think this year would have been very hard to duplicate at his age.