PDA

View Full Version : MARK MURPHY- OPEN MOUTH, INSERT FOOT

Bretsky
03-07-2008, 09:29 PM
I know it's old news but it's free agency so we have to grasp for topics to keep us entertained.

Was I the only one that felt Murphy should have been smarter than to make those comments about feeling Brett Favre will return and they will probably know the last week of February ?

It was just plain old stupid to make those remarks and hopefully it was a cheap lesson to learn.

He's been a successful businessman; it's pretty clear he had little evidence to be throwing that information out there. It's pretty clear that he had nothing to gain by making those predictions. It's pretty clear when you think about what occurred he looks like a fool for making those comments now.

I have faith that Murphy will be effective going forward; but hopefully this lesson will teach him to let TT and MM handle the comments about the players and the goings on of the team.

Packers4Ever
03-07-2008, 10:07 PM
I know it's old news but it's free agency so we have to grasp for topics to keep us entertained.

Was I the only one that felt Murphy should have been smarter than to make those comments about feeling Brett Favre will return and they will probably know the last week of February ?

It was just plain old stupid to make those remarks and hopefully it was a cheap lesson to learn.

He's been a successful businessman; it's pretty clear he had little evidence to be throwing that information out there. It's pretty clear that he had nothing to gain by making those predictions. It's pretty clear when you think about what occurred he looks like a fool for making those comments now.

I have faith that Murphy will be effective going forward; but hopefully this lesson will teach him to let TT and MM handle the comments about the players and the goings on of the team.

I caught the write up on this somewhere - yesterday? - and thought the same thing, B. To my way of thinking, his comment was out of line and I'm sure most others feel the same. It has nothing to do with his position with the Packers.

I'm sure he's had 2nd thoughts about it and maybe kept a low profile around there today.

Maybe he was trying to make people feel better..... :oops:

gbpackfan
03-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Why is everyone taking out their frustrations on Murphy, Thompson and McCarthy? This situation is a perfect example of what America has become. LETS BLAME EVERYONE ELSE! Favre retired. Yeah, it sucks. But it isn't anyones fault!!! Murphy answered the question to the best of his abilities. He said his feeling was that Favre was going to come back. It's not a big deal. Give the guy a break. Good lord.

RashanGary
03-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Why is everyone taking out their frustrations on Murphy, Thompson and McCarthy? This situation is a perfect example of what America has become. LETS BLAME EVERYONE ELSE! Favre retired. Yeah, it sucks. But it isn't anyones fault!!! Murphy answered the question to the best of his abilities. He said his feeling was that Favre was going to come back. It's not a big deal. Give the guy a break. Good lord.

Excellent post. People need to deal with it and move the hell on. This isn't a knock on anybody, but Favre retired. Get over it. He doesn't want to play any more.

KYPack
03-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Murphy does have to focus on being "Presidential".

No way would Harlan make a comment like that.

Not only was it incorrect, it isn't something a team president should comment on.

GrnBay007
03-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Murphy does have to focus on being "Presidential".

No way would Harlan make a comment like that.

Not only was it incorrect, it isn't something a team president should comment on.

Amen! If you don't know the answer, keep your mouth shut. Everyone here seems to believe that the media should follow those rules...why not the Pres? He shouldn't have made that comment if he didn't know it to be a truth....he's supposed to be an "insider". He gave thousands of fans a false hope. It appears the new Pres needs a tutor in public relations.

gbpackfan
03-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Out of line? Keep your mouth shut? What the hell are you guys talking about? He was asked his opinion and he gave it. He never said, "Favre WILL be back." You guys are just pissed off that Favre retired and are looking to take it out on someone. Don't get me wrong, all of you are great posters and I love to read your opinions. But you're way off on this one.

Bretsky
03-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Out of line? Keep your mouth shut? What the hell are you guys talking about? He was asked his opinion and he gave it. He never said, "Favre WILL be back." You guys are just pissed off that Favre retired and are looking to take it out on someone. Don't get me wrong, all of you are great posters and I love to read your opinions. But you're way off on this one.

As all he had to say was, I don't know or you'd have to ask the football people who have been speaking with him on that one. Simple PR sense IMO

This is no biggie; I'm not mad at Murphy or taking a thing out on him. But I do feel he should have known better

cpk1994
03-08-2008, 06:31 AM

As all he had to say was, I don't know or you'd have to ask the football people who have been speaking with him on that one. Simple PR sense IMO

This is no biggie; I'm not mad at Murphy or taking a thing out on him. But I do feel he should have known betterGood PR? Towards whom? He waws asked his opinion and he gave it. As said before he never said "Favre WILL be back". Some people need to lighten the hell up.

Fred's Slacks
03-08-2008, 06:48 AM
I have to say, I don't know why this would be a big deal. He gave his opinion. He was wrong. Doesn't affect my life or make me feel different about him. It didn't affect Favre's decision. It doesn't affect how the Packers will play this season. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see what the problem is.

RashanGary
03-08-2008, 07:57 AM
He shouldn't have made that comment if he didn't know it to be a truth....he's supposed to be an "insider". He gave thousands of fans a false hope.

This is what I don't understand. Favre didn't want to play football any more. He wanted to be home with his family. Quite honestly, the people who claim to love Favre the most are the people who are the most selfish and oblivious to the person they competitively try to prove their love for.

If you really cared about Favre (and I'm not claiming that's what I'm doing here but on a small level I'm happy for him because I would imagine it would be a great feeling to retire securely and be with ones family), you'd be happy that he's going to be with his family and going out on his terms. You'd be happy he's not doing something he doesn't want to do. As far as football goes, I'm glad I got to see him play. It will always be in my memory but I don't sit around waiting for a great player, only watching football if I can see that player. It's a little icing on the cake. After a while, with the way he was back and forth, I just wanted it over with. I'd rather have a guy who's excited to be here than a guy who's showing up just because it's all he knows how to do but really doesn't want to be here. Also, if you're a "Packer" fan, there has to be some excitement for what's next. That's what is fun about sports to me, finding out what is next.

Murphy made a mistake, but all it does is exaggerate the ridiculous, selfish nature of many obsessive fans. Should he have been more aware of the nut cases who pay his salary? Sure. Very minor though. Very minor. So minor it's not even worth mentioning because all it is, is a little tantrum from upset fans. If that's the worst he does as Pres instead of financially ruining the Packers and forcing them to Las Vegas, I'm extatic.

And I understand everyone's different and deals with things differently, but it's frustrating because I like all of you guys and I'm seeing you all act in ways that I think is inappropriate, unhealthy and in some cases embarassing. I'm trying to help, in my screwed up way.

Scott Campbell
03-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Yes, he ruined everything.

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Murphy blew it by giving his opinion.

McCarthy blew it by not groveling enough.

Thompson blew it by not signing Moss.

Or it was time for Brett to retire, and he knew it. Mentally, he couldn't give anymore.

Brando19
03-08-2008, 08:48 AM
All this talk about Murphy's prediction and he got it wrong and it made some mad has me wondering...how many "Favre decideds to return!" threads are we gonna see on April Fool's Day!?? :x

b bulldog
03-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Murphy gave his opinion, he was wrong, big deal.

falco
03-08-2008, 09:51 AM
i have I feeling if Harlan had done the same thing, no one would be lambasting him...

b bulldog
03-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Good point

GrnBay007
03-08-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm seeing you all act in ways that I think is inappropriate, unhealthy and in some cases embarassing. I'm trying to help, in my screwed up way.

inappropriate, unhealthy and embbarassing???

wow, I thought a message board was to give opinions. Nobody said that this "mistake" had anything to do with Favre retiring. Some people believe Murphy should have refrained from making that type of comment.....that's all. Can anyone explain how to feel that way is inappropriate, unhealthy or embarrassing? Pretty funny.

If you ask me it's inappropriate and embarrassing that some fans go crazy if anyone "questions" the decisions of the Packer Management.

RashanGary
03-08-2008, 11:18 AM
I think you guys are crazy about Brett Favre and IMO it has to take away from the quality of your life how much you obsess over something you have no control over. Get over it and grow up. He retired from football, not from living and even then the circle of life goes on.

As far as Ted Thompson goes, I think his approach is awsome and I enjoy debating with people who disagree. If he retires, I'll move on to the next GM and not really give a shit.

falco
03-08-2008, 11:21 AM
I think you guys are crazy about Brett Favre and IMO it has to take away from the quality of your life how much you obsess over something you have no control over. Get over it and grow up. He retired from football, not from living and even then the circle of life goes on.

As far as Ted Thompson goes, I think his approach is awsome and I enjoy debating with people who disagree. If he retires, I'll move on to the next GM and not really give a shit.

blah blah blah

GrnBay007
03-08-2008, 11:28 AM
I think you guys are crazy about Brett Favre and IMO it has to take away from the quality of your life how much you obsess over something you have no control over. Get over it and grow up.

The above statement is how you tend to get yourself jammed up. You have no clue about anyone's quality of life, nobody is obsessing over what Murphy said...just posted an opinion. And as far as the grow up part, I'm not even going to go there.

Damn, I just keep forgetting that you are the only one on this board worthy of stating an opinion. :roll:

Joemailman
03-08-2008, 11:34 AM
I think you guys are crazy about Brett Favre and IMO it has to take away from the quality of your life how much you obsess over something you have no control over.

You have over 6000 posts on a frickin' football forum and you talk about other people obsessing ovewr something they have no control over? You know what they sat about people in glass houses...

RashanGary
03-08-2008, 11:59 AM
I get a little satisfaction from learning and using what I've learned to maybe see what is next. I feel a sense of satisfaction that my posts now are IMO better than my posts 4 years ago and I hope my thoughts and ideas are better 4 years from now. I strive to be better. I enjoy it. If people don't like it, great. Express it, I'll take it for what it's worth and move on.

I'm not here to hang my mood happiness on another person or group of people. I like some players better than others. I relate to some better than others, but that's not why I follow the Packers and that's not why I have 6,000 posts.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Most everyone loved Brett Favre, including you am sure JH, so you got to understand that people are still emotional that he is gone. Remember it has only been a couple a days.

Also, while you may be over his retirement, so people aren't. Everyone is different and not everyone can feel the same way you do. So there is no reason to get personal or anything like it.

Ok my Dr. Phil moment is over now. :D

Packers4Ever
03-08-2008, 02:03 PM

And you, sir, have missed the whole point of what Bretsky and
others have been trying to say. NO one blamed anyone for Brett's retiring,
I myself might feel very sad but I am certainly not pissed off !

Let's drop it.

KYPack
03-08-2008, 05:32 PM
He shouldn't have made that comment if he didn't know it to be a truth....he's supposed to be an "insider". He gave thousands of fans a false hope.

This is what I don't understand. Favre didn't want to play football any more. He wanted to be home with his family. Quite honestly, the people who claim to love Favre the most are the people who are the most selfish and oblivious to the person they competitively try to prove their love for.

If you really cared about Favre (and I'm not claiming that's what I'm doing here but on a small level I'm happy for him because I would imagine it would be a great feeling to retire securely and be with ones family), you'd be happy that he's going to be with his family and going out on his terms. You'd be happy he's not doing something he doesn't want to do. As far as football goes, I'm glad I got to see him play. It will always be in my memory but I don't sit around waiting for a great player, only watching football if I can see that player. It's a little icing on the cake. After a while, with the way he was back and forth, I just wanted it over with. I'd rather have a guy who's excited to be here than a guy who's showing up just because it's all he knows how to do but really doesn't want to be here. Also, if you're a "Packer" fan, there has to be some excitement for what's next. That's what is fun about sports to me, finding out what is next.

Murphy made a mistake, but all it does is exaggerate the ridiculous, selfish nature of many obsessive fans. Should he have been more aware of the nut cases who pay his salary? Sure. Very minor though. Very minor. So minor it's not even worth mentioning because all it is, is a little tantrum from upset fans. If that's the worst he does as Pres instead of financially ruining the Packers and forcing them to Las Vegas, I'm extatic.

And I understand everyone's different and deals with things differently, but it's frustrating because I like all of you guys and I'm seeing you all act in ways that I think is inappropriate, unhealthy and in some cases embarassing. I'm trying to help, in my screwed up way.

And you've failed, miserably.

This isn't about Favre. Murphy needs to realize the position he's in. And he screwed up. He needs to establish credibility and projext the image of the Green Bay Packers.

He needs to gt it established that when he makes a public statement, you can take it to the bank. He made one of his first public statements and he was wrong. His next public statement might be to attempt to obtain a multi-million dollar bond issue or the like.

His ctredibility is a very valuable comodity and he damaged it, albeit very slightly. Harlan has to get with him and get him back in focus.

This wasn't a Favre issue, it was a business/corporate policy issue. Mark needs to adjust his focus and so do you.

Scott Campbell
03-08-2008, 07:00 PM
You have over 6000 posts on a frickin' football forum .........

OVER 6000 POSTS????

WHAT A LOSER!!!!

gbpackfan
03-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Look, everyone is all pissed off again! Damn you Brett, damn you!!!!!

:D

Bretsky
03-08-2008, 07:03 PM
I didn't realize anybody was pissed off, and I originated the thread

b bulldog
03-08-2008, 07:13 PM
I have quite a few posts and my wife tells me often that I really need a life. She's complaining quite often that football season is all year long. All I can say is yes honey it is and I'm thankful for it.

MadtownPacker
03-08-2008, 10:27 PM
A lot of people made the wrong call on his retirement. Not a big deal.

Carolina_Packer
03-09-2008, 09:15 AM
As far as the fans, I think people were just hoping for one more year, like they have for the last few years. Why not? Favre just came off a great year, minus the playoff pick to end the season. Murphy was being a fan like us. Perhaps some disagree that he should have done that, given his present position. He certainly put himself out on a limb. If he had just said, "I hope he comes back, we'd love to have him", I think that would have been fine. To be in the prediction business as the head honcho, I think he perhaps should have thought better. He did it, it's out there; what are you going to do? He still has a job to do, and I hope he does it well, and learns from making predictions.

MJZiggy
03-09-2008, 09:28 AM
It was either last year or the year before where Clayton trapped Brett in an interview about something else to try and get an announcement out of him and twisted what Favre said to try and get a scoop (wonder why he could possibly have tired of the media). Clayton tried to convince anyone who would listen that Favre was going to retire and was quoted ad nauseum as some sort of authority on the topic for weeks. That pissed me off.

This is just a matter of someone asking what he thought. He didn't lie, he didn't twist anything and he didn't try to make anyone think he knew more than he did. He merely answered the question, and now that I think this over, it occurs to me that this is what we want the Packer office to do. How many times have we heard people complaining because TT never says what he's thinking. All Murphy did was say what he was thinking which is what we as fans want him to do anyway. This was no PR screwup or anything like it. If he told us he had it on good authority that Brett was coming back and you could look forward to seeing him in G&G this year, it would be a little different. This is no big deal.

Bretsky
03-09-2008, 09:48 AM
A lot of people made the wrong call on his retirement. Not a big deal.

Patler predicted he was retiring; I think he was the only one
Patler also predicted the Giants would win

I hope Patler predicts I win the lottery soon :lol:

MadtownPacker
03-10-2008, 02:34 AM

I hope Patler predicts I win the lottery soon :lol:
Sounds like we should all be mad at Patler.

Zool
03-10-2008, 07:49 AM
http://www.viewimages.com/Search.aspx?mid=278195&epmid=2&partner=Google

GrnBay007
03-10-2008, 08:01 AM

Sounds like we should all be mad at Patler.

Maybe Patler IS TT :shock:

Let's see if he hangs out here at PR during the draft. :wink: