PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers introduced as starting QB at Fan Fest

Brando19
03-08-2008, 09:08 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080308/PKR01/803080587/1989

Time is now for Rodgers

By Tom Pelissero
tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson refused to talk about Aaron Rodgers during the news conference announcing quarterback Brett Favre's retirement. But they didn't dodge the topic Friday on the main stage at the team's Fan Fest event.

"I have zero concerns about Aaron Rodgers," McCarthy told emcee Larry McCarren, in front of a standing-room-only crowd in the Lambeau Field Atrium. "I think his time is now. He's ready to go, and he will have another offseason to prepare for that. We need to make sure that we're ready for the whole quarterback position, and that is our focus."

Rodgers received a loud — but not overwhelming — ovation when McCarren introduced him with the words "the future is now." Rodgers stayed on stage less than 2 minutes with two dozen teammates and didn't address fans, which he's expected to do today. He also is scheduled to speak with Wisconsin reporters for the first time since Favre retired this week, ending nearly 16 seasons as the Packers' starting quarterback.

"You're taking out a big hole, a big chunk, a big part of the heart of this place," Thompson said. "Now, what we have to do collectively — obviously, Aaron is going to be our guy — but collectively, our team is going to embrace this, our team is going to take over, different individuals are going to take some of that slack. And that's the only way we know how to do it."

It's no surprise McCarthy and Thompson would express support for Rodgers, who has been viewed as Favre's successor since the Packers selected him in the first round (24th overall) in the 2005 NFL draft. He played in only seven games and threw 59 passes in his first three NFL seasons.

"He understood his role," Thompson said. "That's a difficult thing to do for a young man that wants to play. So, I think he's positioned himself as a leader even though he wasn't playing, and I think he's positioned himself to be a leader going forward."

McCarthy said he expects the offense to adjust, as in any other year but doesn't anticipate significant changes with a new quarterback. The key for Rodgers, McCarthy said, is "just to play the quarterback position the way Aaron Rodgers knows how to, not try to do too much.

"It's a common mistake younger quarterbacks make," McCarthy said. "I think it really has helped Aaron that he's had three years to prepare himself for this situation."

Brando19
03-08-2008, 09:10 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080308/GPG0101/803080579/1989

Autographs, friendly company warm crowd at Fan Fest

But for some at Atrium, it's not the same without Favre

By Corinthia McCoy
cmccoy@greenbaypressgazette.com

With helmets, jerseys and souvenir books galore, this weekend's fourth annual Fan Fest event at Lambeau Field is all about the autographs.

"The autographs are the best part, and the camaraderie," Dave Wiltgen of Eau Claire said Friday evening while standing in the Mike McCarthy line with a suitcase and duffel bag full of items waiting for signatures from the head coach and others members of the Green Bay Packers.

Ricky Van Ert, of the Adams-Friendship area about 120 miles from Green Bay, was hoping for a Brett Favre autograph this year. But he didn't allow this week's announcement that Favre was leaving the game to get him down.

"I'm glad he did. He deserves it," he said.

For other fans, though, Favre's retirement cast more of a shadow on the weekend's festivities.

Becky Kern of Rice Lake, who purchased five Favre game day programs and two G-Force yard signs at the event's garage sale, said the news brought a dark cloud to her weekend.

"We were really sad, because this man here was 5 years old when he (Favre) started," she said, pointing to her 22-year-old son Jason. "I wish he would have waited" to announce his retirement, she said.

Kern considers herself a die-hard fan. She and her family once took a 30-hour trip to Kiln, Miss., Favre's hometown, to take a picture of the town's welcome sign. She said the family only stayed for 10 minutes.

"Everyone loves the Packers in my family," said Kern, whose goal Friday was to get cornerback Al Harris' autograph.

A section for fans hunting for tickets to meet specific players called the Trading Zone was located on the third floor of the stadium. Fans received four tickets to attend autograph sessions for specific players.

That's where Van Ert looked to trade his tickets for one to see former Packer LeRoy Butler.

"That would cap the weekend," he said.

More than 3,500 people are expected to attend the weekend event dedicated to thanking the fans for their loyalty. McCarthy and Packers President and Chief Executive Officer Mark Murphy were among those who made appearances. And fans swarmed alumni players such as Edgar Bennett and walked around the Trading Zone with small signs advertising the tickets they needed.

Lucinda Radloff of Oshkosh walked around the room with her McCarthy ticket, trying to trade for a Harris or Donald Driver ticket.

Radloff, who obtained season tickets last season, has attended the Fan Fest event every year and carries around photos her husband takes at each game and a souvenir book to collect autographs. Radloff said she likes the room, because it's easier to get the Packers' autographs.

b bulldog
03-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Brett never even goes to FF, come on people.