PDA

View Full Version : best player on team post Favre

falco
03-08-2008, 09:58 AM
sorry if this has already been brought up....

just curious what everyone's thoughts would be. now that the old guy is gone, who's our most valuable player?

i suppose you can take into account age, potential, etc.

i'm probably not qualified to answer the question, but I'd have to think Jennings could rank up there. The guy is young, has a lot of upside, and seemed to always find ways to make plays. he showed last year that he could stay productive all season (except for his injuries early on).

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Best player on offense = Donald Driver
Best potential on offense = Greg Jennings (perhaps Ryan Grant)
Most valuable on offense = Chad Clifton

Best player on defense = Aaron Kampman (perhaps Nick Barnett)
Best potential on defense = A.J. Hawk
Most valuable on defense = Charles Woodson (and Al Harris)

Brando19
03-08-2008, 10:00 AM
I would say Driver on offense and Barnett on defense.

Fritz
03-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Jennings. He's a playmaker.

BallHawk
03-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Kampman on defense, Driver on offense.

oregonpackfan
03-08-2008, 10:44 AM
I would say Driver on offense and Barnett on defense.

I agree.

Cheesehead Craig
03-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Me. I can do it all, throw the ball, catch the ball, return both punts and kicks. I can rush the passer and drop back in lock-down coverage.

But enough about Madden, I'd go with Kampman.

b bulldog
03-08-2008, 11:01 AM
gotta love Harv, anytime he can try to say something positive about Hawk :oops:

b bulldog
03-08-2008, 11:03 AM
O-Jennings
D-Kampy

Potential
O- Grant
D- Harrell

b bulldog
03-08-2008, 11:04 AM
MVP O- Tausch and Cliffy
MVP D- Woodson and Pickett

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Driver hands down!

Driver is also now the toughest player on the team and the one with the most heart.

Brando19
03-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Me. I can do it all, throw the ball, catch the ball, return both punts and kicks. I can rush the passer and drop back in lock-down coverage.

But enough about Madden, I'd go with Kampman.

LMAO! :lol:

BallHawk
03-08-2008, 11:07 AM
How can people say Jennings is the best player on offense? He's a great player, but he benefits largely from Driver taking the double teams. If you put Jennings as the #1 and Driver as the #2 Driver's production skyrockets and Jennings plummets.

Driver has been doing this for a while now. He's aging, but he's still our best offensive player. Saying that, I do expect Jennings to become the #1 WR either in 2009 or 2010.

falco
03-08-2008, 11:16 AM
How can people say Jennings is the best player on offense? He's a great player, but he benefits largely from Driver taking the double teams. If you put Jennings as the #1 and Driver as the #2 Driver's production skyrockets and Jennings plummets.

Driver has been doing this for a while now. He's aging, but he's still our best offensive player. Saying that, I do expect Jennings to become the #1 WR either in 2009 or 2010.

you may be right ballhawk...but I can recall a couple articles this last fall that indicated that Jennings was the real #1 WR in the offense now, and Driver was only #1 on the chart as a formality. I'm not saying thats true, just putting it out there.

BF4MVP
03-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Jennings. He's a playmaker.
Seconded.

twoseven
03-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Jennings on offense--what he does after the catch is the key. incredibly quick on his cuts, before you know it he's gone, and that guy that isn't supposed to be that fast is in the endzone.

Barnett and Hawk--the only positions IMO that are always seeming to show on Sundays. I would say Kamp, but his position is too easily controlled due to a lack of consistency from the rest of the DL.

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2008, 02:52 PM
gotta love Harv, anytime he can try to say something positive about Hawk :oops:

Kind of funny coming from the guy that picked Harrell. What?

Packers4Ever
03-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Driver hands down!

Driver is also now the toughest player on the team and the one with the most heart.

Criminitely, PaCkFan, I just thought this morning that the tears were
all gone here, :cry: until I read your response just now.

My feelings exactly, Driver's my man too..... :wink:

b bulldog
03-08-2008, 05:46 PM
IMO, Harrell has more potential that Hawk does and that is being said where the two were picked also. Hawk is solid, Harrell can be special if he is willing to work. Harrell has great size and strength, something that you just can't coach. The rest is up to him.

Scott Campbell
03-08-2008, 06:58 PM
I think it would be best for the Packers if the answer was Ryan Grant.

MacCool606
03-08-2008, 09:13 PM
I read someplace last year (before Jennings had his break-out year) that the only difference between the Packers and the Bears (good def / lousy off) was Favre. If Rogers falters, and the Def steps up, Mason Crosby could be real important next year.

(I know this is off the wall - just thought I'd thorw that out there.)

twoseven
03-09-2008, 06:45 AM
IMO, Harrell has more potential that Hawk does and that is being said where the two were picked also. Hawk is solid, Harrell can be special if he is willing to work. Harrell has great size and strength, something that you just can't coach. The rest is up to him.As long as AJ is playing in the defenseive scheme the Packers are going with these days, it's pretty hard to see him looking special, or anything other than solid. Put him in a position to make more plays with a different scheme, like his college days, and then we'll see how he looks.

Harrel has more potential? I say he has more potential that he has yet to live up to, that's not really a compliment. Hawk hasn't missed a beat since being selected, Harrel is still trying to catch up. He was dominant at his position in TENN, that's his potential that hopefully he'll reach in the NFL. If he does not reach his potential what will we have in him?

Concerning where Harrel was taken, he was the second DT off the board after Amobi Okoye, so it's not as if he was considered a second tier player. Ernie Sims was the second LB taken after Hawk, we all know that has worked out.

mission
03-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Best player on offense = Donald Driver
Best potential on offense = Greg Jennings (perhaps Ryan Grant)
Most valuable on offense = Chad Clifton

Best player on defense = Aaron Kampman (perhaps Nick Barnett)
Best potential on defense = A.J. Hawk
Most valuable on defense = Charles Woodson (and Al Harris)

agreed all the way.

b bulldog
03-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Potential is stricly potential and imo, Harrell has loads of it but I think he may never realize it.

Joemailman
03-09-2008, 09:40 AM
With Favre gone, hard to say who the best player is. How do you compare Aaron Kampman with Donald Driver? I do think having a great veteran WR like Driver will be invaluable to Rodgers. Because of that, I would say Driver is now the Packers most valuable player.

MJZiggy
03-09-2008, 09:44 AM
There's a difference between best player and most valuable. If we're talking most valuable, in this scheme and this offense, it's still Rodgers as we will find out one way or the other. His position is most valuable, and if he plays it well, he automatically assumes that role. As in best player, that's a different story.

b bulldog
03-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Actually a good OL imo, is most valuable

oregonpackfan
03-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Actually a good OL imo, is most valuable

Of all the many talented players he coached, Vince Lombardi called offensive tackle Forrest Gregg "The greatest player I have ever coached."

It shows what he felt about the value of an offensive lineman.