PDA

View Full Version : If Brian Brohm is available at 30 would you want to take him

BlueBrewer
03-09-2008, 07:55 PM
I have confidence in Arod but have this what if in the back of my mind. I personally think it would be a mistake and send a bad message to Arod. But on the other hand a talented rookie to push him and keep him sharp might not be the worst thing. Any thoughts?

BallHawk
03-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I have confidence in A-Rod. There are guys out there that could give us Brohm level production if needed (David Carr comes to mind)

Lurker64
03-09-2008, 07:58 PM
I would not take Brohm at 30. I would consider him at 56, however. Brian Brohm has not impressed me.

BlueBrewer
03-09-2008, 08:04 PM
I would not take Brohm at 30. I would consider him at 56, however. Brian Brohm has not impressed me.

I think it is funny, if he would have come out a year ago he would have been a top 10

Lurker64
03-09-2008, 08:06 PM
I think it is funny, if he would have come out a year ago he would have been a top 10

But I think what Brohm did last year is a good reason why he's going to drop. He faced adversity this year and he completely folded under pressure. That's not the kind of person I want to be my quarterback.

BlueBrewer
03-09-2008, 08:08 PM

But I think what Brohm did last year is a good reason why he's going to drop. He faced adversity this year and he completely folded under pressure. That's not the kind of person I want to be my quarterback.

good point

rbaloha1
03-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Yes, I would take him. Polished, pro ready pocket passer. Well schooled in a pro style offense.

If plays at a pro bowl level, Brohm can always be traded if he performs well in preseason like Detmer, Brunell, Brooks and Hasselbeck.

Colt Brennan would be a great 3 - 4 round pic.

Partial
03-09-2008, 08:21 PM
I remember watching Brohm as a Sophomore against Miami. It was one heck of a game. He's a good player.

Charles Woodson
03-09-2008, 08:47 PM
I remember watching Brohm as a Sophomore against Miami. It was one heck of a game. He's a good player.

Sad enough, basing it off one game isnt good enough, watching brohm this year showed that he isnt nearly as good as many thought

Joemailman
03-09-2008, 09:01 PM
If he's available at 30 you try to trade down to someone looking for a quarterback. You can't draft a QB in the 1st round without creating the impression that you have doubts about Rodgers.

Partial
03-09-2008, 09:12 PM

Sad enough, basing it off one game isnt good enough, watching brohm this year showed that he isnt nearly as good as many thought

That is a true statement, and I don't know enough about him, but I also don't think he had a lot of players around him this year.

Deputy Nutz
03-09-2008, 10:11 PM
No at the very most you trade down like an above poster stated.

KYPack
03-09-2008, 10:23 PM
I have the feeling they get a QB with one of the two's.

3irty1
03-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Brohm has no buisness being in the first round.

twoseven
03-10-2008, 02:46 AM
Brady Quinn slid into the second round, not sure why Brohm wouldn't do the same.

CaliforniaCheez
03-10-2008, 05:16 AM
The Packers do have a need for a young QB to come in and learn.

Any rookie would take at least a couple of years to become an adequate back up.

where and when they draft one is unpredictable. If there is a run on CB's and they are all gone, I could see Ted drafting a QB #1.

run pMc
03-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Brady Quinn slid into the second round, not sure why Brohm wouldn't do the same.

Correction: Quinn was a R1 pick. CLE traded for DAL's R1. I think he was taken around 21 or so.

run pMc
03-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Wouldn't take Brohm at 30, although I'd think about it. The talent level dropped for him this year, and he struggled. Played some good, some not so good. I think he showed he can't carry a team by himself, so he probably falls into the good but not a great/franchise player category.

For that, you might ahve just as much luck with Henne or Flacco in R2. TT has shown he'll trade down a few spots if multiple players of roughly equal value are available.

The point about sending a message to Rodgers is very true. Can't have the kid looking over his shoulder, esp. during that moment where he strings together a couple of bad games. (And he will, so we'll all need patience.) Rodgers has potential...I wouldn't draft another R1 QB unless Ryan somehow dropped (which isn't happening).

The Leaper
03-10-2008, 07:57 AM
I would be disappointed if we took a QB in any of the first THREE rounds...the position is weak in the draft this year, and many of our other areas of need are strong.

If we want to grab someone to develop in the mid rounds, great. However, at this point Rodgers is our guy. Our season depends solely on his ability to become a reliable offensive leader in his first season of action. A rookie QB won't be worth much of anything in 2008.

LL2
03-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Wouldn't take Brohm at 30, although I'd think about it. The talent level dropped for him this year, and he struggled. Played some good, some not so good. I think he showed he can't carry a team by himself, so he probably falls into the good but not a great/franchise player category.

For that, you might ahve just as much luck with Henne or Flacco in R2. TT has shown he'll trade down a few spots if multiple players of roughly equal value are available.

The point about sending a message to Rodgers is very true. Can't have the kid looking over his shoulder, esp. during that moment where he strings together a couple of bad games. (And he will, so we'll all need patience.) Rodgers has potential...I wouldn't draft another R1 QB unless Ryan somehow dropped (which isn't happening).

I agree with this. I wouldn't take Brohm in R1, but maybe with the 2nd R2 pick, but most likely pick up Henne or Flacco in R3 or R4 if available. The Pack need the first 3 picks other BPA.

Cheesehead Craig
03-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Yes, I would take him. Polished, pro ready pocket passer. Well schooled in a pro style offense.

If plays at a pro bowl level, Brohm can always be traded if he performs well in preseason like Detmer, Brunell, Brooks and Hasselbeck.

Colt Brennan would be a great 3 - 4 round pic.
Why waste a 1st round pick on a guy you would trade for a lesser round pick? No interest in Brohm. Let him be somebody else's problem.

twoseven
03-10-2008, 12:42 PM

Correction: Quinn was a R1 pick. CLE traded for DAL's R1. I think he was taken around 21 or so.
Yep, my fault. Forgot they moved up. It felt like he slipped to the second. My thinking was that Quinn had shown a lot more promise in college than Brohm, and Quinn wasn't snatched up by most of those in the first round, so why should Brohm be any more attractive.

mission
03-10-2008, 12:53 PM
If he's available at 30 you try to trade down to someone looking for a quarterback. You can't draft a QB in the 1st round without creating the impression that you have doubts about Rodgers.

you know... never really thought of that but it's so true.

to the point of even if it was an early second round (only two picks lower), it wouldnt have nearly the same level of negative connotation.

cheesner
03-10-2008, 02:33 PM
When Philly drafted a QB in the 2nd last year, it caused quite a stir. That is with a Probowl QB in McNabb at the helm. How much more of a impact would it have on AR? AR seems very self-assured and mature, he may handle it, but why risk it?

Also, AR is a much better QB than Brohm. Why bother in the first place?

mission
03-10-2008, 02:52 PM
When Philly drafted a QB in the 2nd last year, it caused quite a stir. That is with a Probowl QB in McNabb at the helm. How much more of a impact would it have on AR? AR seems very self-assured and mature, he may handle it, but why risk it?

Also, AR is a much better QB than Brohm. Why bother in the first place?

and shit, forget about AR's feelings for a second

is that REALLY the best use of our first draft pick? this draft is deep with potentially pro bowl corners. i hope we make the right decision

twoseven
03-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Rodgers sit's on the bench for all these years, Brett finally says he's retiring and the first move TT makes is to draft a QB with our first pick? Funny.

TheRaven
03-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Nope - if he is available in the 2nd, I consider it at that point.

ahaha
03-11-2008, 09:20 AM
It's amazing that some people are actually afraid of how A-Rod might feel if we drafted a QB early. His profession is all about competition. The reason teams don't load up on high draft pick QB's is because of the financial investment. That's not a problem for the Packers right now. Because of the uncertainty of their QB situation, it would make sense to draft one early if there is a guy there they like. Quarterback is the most important position, and you're not going to win a championship without a good one. Until A-Rod proves he's 'the man', he needs a little competition. Who cares how he feels about looking over his shoulder? What's he going to do? Is he going to cry, grab his football, and run home?

The Leaper
03-11-2008, 09:30 AM
It's amazing that some people are actually afraid of how A-Rod might feel if we drafted a QB early. His profession is all about competition.

I disagree. The profession isn't entirely about just competition...it is also about CONFIDENCE in yourself and your teammates. While I'm sure Rodgers could handle having another guy fighting for the spot, I'm not sure it is in the best interest of the team at this point. Competition tends to create division and favorites in the locker room. With the departure of Favre, this team does NOT need division. You don't want Rodgers to be constantly looking over his shoulder in 2008...he's got enough issues to deal with filling the shoes of an icon.

Sometimes, serious competition is healthy...but I don't think that is true in this instance. We need a capable backup, but we don't need another young buck gunning for fame and fortune at this point. Thompson pinned his early fortune on Rodgers...and I believe you have to give the guy a fair chance when he has proven himself favorably as a reserve to this point.

Otherwise, you just look like the Bears.

cheesner
03-11-2008, 09:46 AM
It's amazing that some people are actually afraid of how A-Rod might feel if we drafted a QB early. His profession is all about competition.

I disagree. The profession isn't entirely about just competition...it is also about CONFIDENCE in yourself and your teammates. While I'm sure Rodgers could handle having another guy fighting for the spot, I'm not sure it is in the best interest of the team at this point. Competition tends to create division and favorites in the locker room. With the departure of Favre, this team does NOT need division. You don't want Rodgers to be constantly looking over his shoulder in 2008...he's got enough issues to deal with filling the shoes of an icon.

Sometimes, serious competition is healthy...but I don't think that is true in this instance. We need a capable backup, but we don't need another young buck gunning for fame and fortune at this point. Thompson pinned his early fortune on Rodgers...and I believe you have to give the guy a fair chance when he has proven himself favorably as a reserve to this point.

Otherwise, you just look like the Bears.
The most important issue for AR at this point is leadership. Having a team that has confidence in its QB makes all the difference. If he stumbles, and all QBs do at some point, you don't want anyone on the team wondering if you would be better off with Brohm starting. The players are human. If BB is in the locker room he will make friends and have some support. You don't want that dissension splitting up your team.

Chubbyhubby
03-11-2008, 12:52 PM
The Packers need a back up QB. Period. Who that could be is the question. The Packers have a strong team. Like in the last few years Defense was addressed earily. I see Offense take a front seat this year. The Packers have 2 second round picks. #53 and #60. I see the Packers picking a QB either of those picks. If I was TT picking #30 if I didn't see any of the players that I wanted I would trade down. Like he has done in the past. Why pay #1 money if you can lets say get 3 #2's.

The needs the Packers should address in the draft is CB,TE,QB,OL not in that order however.

twoseven
03-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Who is more likely to step in an run things immediately if Rodgers goes down with an injury next season, a rookie or a veteran from FA? I say the veteran, so I'd rather see us sign whatever FA QB is best for us at this point, then draft a QB no sooner than our third overall pick (third round or later would be even better) to be number three.