PDA

View Full Version : Wedding

Badgepack
03-10-2008, 05:08 PM
This Saturday, 3/15, I will be walking my eldest daughter down the isle.

Looking for any really nice toast ideas or any other special thoughts that the old dad could spring on her to make the day more special.

GrnBay007
03-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Congrats Badgepack!!

http://www.article99.com/news-and-society/marriage-and-weddings/article.php?art=10417

GrnBay007
03-10-2008, 05:30 PM
I cried when I was helping my little girl put her on beautiful white dress for her First Communion....thinking the next time it would be for her wedding. I get too sentimental sometimes. :oops:

Badgepack
03-10-2008, 05:33 PM
I am sure that I will be slobbering at some point during the day.

And thanks for the link 007.

Deputy Nutz
03-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Don't drink, because I guarantee that you will make an ass of yourself.

Freak Out
03-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Let er rip from the heart man. Congratulations!

Joemailman
03-10-2008, 05:58 PM
This would be entirely inappropriate, but it is the most memorable toast I ever heard. At my cousin John's wedding, his best man toasted: " I would like to propose a toast of honor. John, once you get honor, stay honor."

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Congrats 8-)

packinpatland
03-10-2008, 07:21 PM
This would be entirely inappropriate, but it is the most memorable toast I ever heard. At my cousin John's wedding, his best man toasted: " I would like to propose a toast of honor. John, once you get honor, stay honor."

Yes, coming from the father of the bride, this would be just a tad inappropriate.

Congratulations Badgepack! Have a wonderful time......enjoy.

MJZiggy
03-10-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm sure whatever you say will be cherished (unless you announce that you hate the bum).

Congratulations.

Scott Campbell
03-10-2008, 08:22 PM

Yes, coming from the father of the bride, this would be just a tad inappropriate.

Inappropriate.......but memorable.

I have daughters, and you people are scaring me.

MJZiggy
03-10-2008, 08:44 PM
You're only supposed to keep her chaste until the wedding. After that she can have a good time...it's the only way you get grandkids.

packinpatland
03-10-2008, 08:46 PM
You're only supposed to keep her chaste until the wedding. After that she can have a good time...it's the only way you get grandkids.

:lol: :lol: :lol: What century are you living in? :lol: :lol: :lol:

MJZiggy
03-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Shhhh.....there are things he just doesn't need to know about!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Little Whiskey
03-10-2008, 08:59 PM
ask her when you should expect payment for this shin dig!

packinpatland
03-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Just curious.....what's the going rate for a wedding today.?

Badgepack
03-11-2008, 08:06 AM
I think it's coming in at about $18,000, nice, but not over the top stuff.

packinpatland
03-11-2008, 08:36 AM
When my daughter got married two years ago, we chose a place in RI to have the reception. Used to be a private fishing lodge, Eisenhower stayed there......anyway, because the two families had not met much before, we had the option of renting this place from Fri thru Sun. It had an 'Adirondak' feeling about it......lots of cabins, a rustic yet elegant main lodge. They even built a huge bonfire on Fri nite and supplied the marshmallows. The place is run by the University of RI...........for the amount of time we were there, housed and fed 90 people for 2 days (reception for 130)...the whole thing came in at $30K. They even let us use their canoes!
My daughter's inlaws are from NYC.......some had never been in the 'woods' before.......they have no fear walking anywhere in the city, but don't make them go down an unlit path!
Talk about a bonding experience! One of the best things we ever did.

MadtownPacker
03-11-2008, 08:53 AM
White boys have it good when it comes to getting married because the girl's parents pay for the whole wedding, right?

Mexicans do it a little different. The groom pays for a lot but the couple also gets padrinos (kinda like godparents) who fork over the $$ for things like the hall, food, etc.

LL2
03-11-2008, 09:17 AM

My sister got married around 8 years ago I remember my parents said her wedding cost around $20k! My wife's folks do not make much money, so we had to pay for the wedding ourselves. The entire wedding and our honeymoon to St. Maartin cost around $10k. We had the wedding ceremony at 11 AM, and and lunch reception. We found a country club that served a meal for $9 a plate, but the catch was it had to be served by 3 PM. Well, with the ceremony and pictures we were running a little late to the reception hall, and by the time our wedding party sat down at the head table it was around 2:45 PM. I told the best man to have someone go over to the DJ table to welcome everyone and say grace so the food would get served by 3 PM. Not sure if the country club would've enforced the after 3 PM rule, but the cost per plate was around $18-20 per plate after 3 PM. With over 200 guest doing a late lunch reception saved us around $2k. We had to vacate the reception hall by 5:30. I know most people have wedding that last all day and night, but it was nice to have the wedding day over by 6. We went to a nice luxury hotel for the evening and relaxed and got away from everyone for a couple days before we took off for St. Maartin. You can have a great wedding for a lot less than the $18k average.

The Leaper
03-11-2008, 11:35 AM
I agree...$20k for a wedding is ridiculous. You can easily have a great wedding on less than half of that.

If you are going to splurge on anything, make it the honeymoon. The wedding day goes by in a flash and can be very hectic and stressful (not to mention the weeks leading up to it as well) so spending some extra money on the backend for relaxation and reflection is very important IMO.

Badgepack
03-11-2008, 11:51 AM
They are going to Cabo for a week, so they have that part covered.

LL2
03-11-2008, 12:15 PM
If you are going to splurge on anything, make it the honeymoon. The wedding day goes by in a flash and can be very hectic and stressful (not to mention the weeks leading up to it as well) so spending some extra money on the backend for relaxation and reflection is very important IMO.

That is exactly what we did, and that was the advise we got. We were told to put good money into pictures and the honeymoon. Those two you will remember and have forever. Do not put a lot of money into things like invitations, which people do not remember. Plus, the honeymoon is often the best vacation you will get for years once the kids and bills start arriving.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-11-2008, 01:17 PM
I agree...$20k for a wedding is ridiculous. You can easily have a great wedding on less than half of that.

It all depends on your viewpoint. The wedding is essentially a large party thrown by the bride's parents. If they want to throw it and invite their friends, family and business associates then so be it.

Ty's wedding was around double that. Ty as groom had little say over it. Ty paid for things that the bride wanted that her parents wouldn't budge on..more expensive dress, better flowers, etc.

But, if you want to have a nice wedding for 250 people, with a band, and open bar, at a nice venue..it is gonna cost.

Deputy Nutz
03-11-2008, 02:13 PM
White boys have it good when it comes to getting married because the girl's parents pay for the whole wedding, right?

Mexicans do it a little different. The groom pays for a lot but the couple also gets padrinos (kinda like godparents) who fork over the $$ for things like the hall, food, etc.

I don't truly believe that is the way it is done anymore, traditionally yes, but my parents payed half and held the ceremony in their backyard.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-11-2008, 02:20 PM

I don't truly believe that is the way it is done anymore, traditionally yes, but my parents payed half and held the ceremony in their backyard.

I've pretty much seen it go the traditional way. However, the groom or groom's parents pay for the pre nuptial dinner. And, often a sunday brunch thing for outta town guests.

I think it really depends on the amount of money the parents have, their views on weddings, etc.

It has been my experience that the wedding is really a party the parents give to their child.

Deputy Nutz
03-11-2008, 02:29 PM

I've pretty much seen it go the traditional way. However, the groom or groom's parents pay for the pre nuptial dinner. And, often a sunday brunch thing for outta town guests.

I think it really depends on the amount of money the parents have, their views on weddings, etc.

It has been my experience that the wedding is really a party the parents give to their child.

What are you? A wedding planner?

Cheesehead Craig
03-11-2008, 02:34 PM
If you can sing, try using Frank Sinatra's "It Was a Very Good Year" and re-write the lyrics with events from her life. Then end it with her current age and about her wedding.

packinpatland
03-11-2008, 03:25 PM
If you can sing, try using Frank Sinatra's "It Was a Very Good Year" and re-write the lyrics with events from her life. Then end it with her current age and about her wedding.

This will insure no dry eyes!................

Badgepack
03-11-2008, 03:51 PM

I like the thought, but no way in hell can I sing. Ever since she was little, she has said she wanted me to sing "My Girl" at her wedding, but she knows it ain't happening.

Cheesehead Craig
03-11-2008, 03:53 PM

I like the thought, but no way in hell can I sing. Ever since she was little, she has said she wanted me to sing "My Girl" at her wedding, but she knows it ain't happening.
You could do it as a poem then. The form is there, just need to find the words.

Deputy Nutz
03-11-2008, 04:46 PM

Way to let her down.

Badgepack
03-11-2008, 04:52 PM
It's the father/daughter dance song instead, but thanks for making me feel 2 feet tall. :)

Tyrone Bigguns
03-11-2008, 05:34 PM

What are you? A wedding planner?

Yes, tyrone is the master wedding planner of the crackheads.

tyrone was married. tyrone has prolly been to 50 weddings. From weddings that cost nothing...10 people gathered, to destination weddings..ty's brother...Tron Carter had his in Cabo, to your standard mil east side wedding..MAC, etc.

Iron Mike
03-11-2008, 06:06 PM
It's the father/daughter dance song instead, but thanks for making me feel 2 feet tall. :)

Learn this song instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbijp3k4HvU

Check out the comments at the bottom.

MJZiggy
03-11-2008, 07:25 PM

My sister got married around 8 years ago I remember my parents said her wedding cost around $20k! My wife's folks do not make much money, so we had to pay for the wedding ourselves. The entire wedding and our honeymoon to St. Maartin cost around $10k. We had the wedding ceremony at 11 AM, and and lunch reception. We found a country club that served a meal for $9 a plate, but the catch was it had to be served by 3 PM. Well, with the ceremony and pictures we were running a little late to the reception hall, and by the time our wedding party sat down at the head table it was around 2:45 PM. I told the best man to have someone go over to the DJ table to welcome everyone and say grace so the food would get served by 3 PM. Not sure if the country club would've enforced the after 3 PM rule, but the cost per plate was around $18-20 per plate after 3 PM. With over 200 guest doing a late lunch reception saved us around $2k. We had to vacate the reception hall by 5:30. I know most people have wedding that last all day and night, but it was nice to have the wedding day over by 6. We went to a nice luxury hotel for the evening and relaxed and got away from everyone for a couple days before we took off for St. Maartin. You can have a great wedding for a lot less than the $18k average.

My parents would never have been able to afford my wedding and I was out of the house long before I ever got married. My in-laws, who could afford it said that they would write a check for $10K. We could spend it on a wedding or on something else. We semi-eloped (took the parents and a couple friends to North Carolina for a weekend) and put the rest to the down payment on a house.

Harlan Huckleby
03-11-2008, 08:32 PM

I can't speak for women, but typically it costs the man at least one major hobby and several friends. To some it can entail a loss of any sense of independence or self-esteem. But that's the worst case, most report it's worth it.

AtlPackFan
03-11-2008, 08:58 PM

$18,000 is not bad. My son and his fiance have decided to have a "destination" wedding the week before Thanksgiving in Las Vegas. It is at a resort called the Green Valley Ranch. The rehersal dinner and flowers - which we are responsible for - are coming in at about $10K!!! I can't even think about what this is costing her parents. I heard $200 a plate for 300 people. You do the math.

Congrats BadgePack! I'm sure I echo all the rats sentiments when I say best wishes to your daughter and her husband for a great marriage!

packinpatland
03-11-2008, 09:08 PM

I can't speak for women, but typically it costs the man at least one major hobby and several friends. To some it can entail a loss of any sense of independence or self-esteem. But that's the worst case, most report it's worth it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's good. :lol:

Freak Out
03-11-2008, 09:39 PM

Suck it up and do it dad! It's her one wedding request and you are letting her down. Who cares if it stinks. :lol:

packinpatland
03-11-2008, 09:51 PM

Suck it up and do it dad! It's her one wedding request and you are letting her down. Who cares if it stinks. :lol:

It'll only be videotaped and saved for posterity....forever!

MadtownPacker
03-11-2008, 10:00 PM

Learn this song instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbijp3k4HvU

Check out the comments at the bottom.I have only been to one white person's wedding (a coworker). Based on that I doubt this would work at a whitey wedding but it is still good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWqcMhv_Hts&feature=related

BadgePack - These useless clowns are right. You should do the song.

Deputy Nutz
03-11-2008, 10:21 PM
I have been to one Mexican wedding, it was nice, food was good, but there was no need for an Uncle Hector to start popping off his six shooter inside the Best Western Hotel. Uncle Hector got deported.

Deputy Nutz
03-11-2008, 10:22 PM

I do what I can.

Deputy Nutz
03-11-2008, 10:24 PM
If the groom and his family think that I am paying more than half because I am the father of the bride then they can kiss my ass. I will write a check for what I deem is appropriate and I am done, see you on the wedding.

Actually it will be my wife writing the check, or at least I will write the check out of her account.

MadtownPacker
03-11-2008, 10:25 PM
I have been to one Mexican wedding, it was nice, food was good, but there was no need for an Uncle Hector to start popping off his six shooter inside the Best Western Hotel. Uncle Hector got deported.That's Tio Hector dumbass.

At the mex wedding you dont buy the food by the plate per person. Your aunts hook up big pots of food and serve it up. The good thing is that you dont have to feel like an ass for having seconds.

Harlan Huckleby
03-11-2008, 10:31 PM
I have a buddy who has been a photographer at hundreds of weddings, and he says that Jewish weddings are the best.

Partial
03-11-2008, 11:14 PM
My buddy is also a wedding photographer. He hates it, though.

But, on New Years eve this year he got stuck doing a wedding. And the Harlem Globetrotters showed up at the reception. That's bad ass.

LL2
03-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Here's a father / daughter song recommendation that I'm sure will make the eyes get all misty.

The song is "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman

http://www.stevencurtischapman.com/ Click on the Cinderella image to listen.

Lyrics:
She spins and she sways to whatever song plays,
Without a care in the world.
And I'm sitting here wearing the weight of the world on my shoulders.
It's been a long day and there's still work to do,
She's pulling at me saying "Dad I need you!
There's a ball at the castle and I've been invited and I need to practice my dancin'"
"Oh please, daddy, please!
Chorus:
So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone.

Verse 2:
She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of the dress
She says, "Dad the prom is just one week away
And I need to practice my dancin'
"Oh please, daddy , please!"

Chorus:
And she'll be gone

Verse 3:
But she came home today with a ring on her hand
Just glowin' and tellin' us all they had planned
She says, "Dad the wedding's still six months away but I need to practice my dancin'
"Oh please, daddy , please!"

Chorus:
And she'll be gone[/url]

Zool
03-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Sing the song. Just do it. Whats really the worst thing that could happen? Dont tell her you're doing it either. Just get up there and do it.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-12-2008, 11:23 AM
I have a buddy who has been a photographer at hundreds of weddings, and he says that Jewish weddings are the best.

Yes they are!

Tyrone Bigguns
03-12-2008, 11:27 AM

$18,000 is not bad. My son and his fiance have decided to have a "destination" wedding the week before Thanksgiving in Las Vegas. It is at a resort called the Green Valley Ranch. The rehersal dinner and flowers - which we are responsible for - are coming in at about $10K!!! I can't even think about what this is costing her parents. I heard $200 a plate for 300 people. You do the math.

Congrats BadgePack! I'm sure I echo all the rats sentiments when I say best wishes to your daughter and her husband for a great marriage!

Green Valley is nice. You'll enjoy it. More low key than regular vegas.

That sounds like a great wedding!! Though 200 hundred a plate seems high...unless that counts wine service, and even then it seem high.

Food is the least of bill. OPEN BAR!!!

Fosco33
03-14-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm walking down the aisle next Saturday.... 8-)

MJZiggy
03-14-2008, 09:29 PM
So sing "My Girl" at the reception. Congrats. May you have decades of happiness, collusion, partnership, interdependence and good sex (why does everyone always forget that last part?).

Can I start now?

GrnBay007
03-14-2008, 10:11 PM

Nervous Fosco?? :D

Congrats!!!!

packinpatland
03-14-2008, 10:38 PM

Good for you!...........better for her.

Is she a cheesehead?.....................if not, there's time to back out. :wink:

GrnBay007
03-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Is she a cheesehead?.....................if not, there's time to back out. :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Fosco33
03-14-2008, 11:45 PM
MTP met her. She likes the Pack b/c I do - but is more of a Cali type girl...

Not too nervous - been together for like 5.5 years and the wedding details are all completed. I think it'll be fun - definitely looking forward to honeymoon and relaxation.

Can't really back out now - she is my future baby's momma :wink:

BallHawk
03-15-2008, 12:01 AM
Congrats and good luck, Fos.

Harlan Huckleby
03-15-2008, 12:13 AM
MTP met her.

She's sticking with you despite your guilt by association? Or did you just pretend he was carrying your luggage?

GrnBay007
03-15-2008, 02:05 AM
MTP met her.

She's sticking with you despite your guilt by association? Or did you just pretend he was carrying your luggage?

It's so cute how you show your love for Mad..... :P

MadtownPacker
03-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Looks like you will be needing one of these soon..
http://www.stonemanfunerals.co.uk/images/coffins/ls_coffin.jpg

:lol:

MadtownPacker
03-15-2008, 08:43 AM

Not too nervous - been together for like 5.5 years and the wedding details are all completed. I think it'll be fun - definitely looking forward to honeymoon and relaxation.

Can't really back out now - she is my future baby's momma :wink:Yup I did and you can tell she is ride or die for the Fos. Congrats man, she is a great chica!

Is the wedding gonna be a big traditional one or a private ceremony?

MadtownPacker
03-15-2008, 08:46 AM
MTP met her.

She's sticking with you despite your guilt by association? Or did you just pretend he was carrying your luggage?Hahahaha! You lil bastard, you alway get in the best shots. I dont understand how you can be so funny and still not be able to find a woman or man who wants you.

Fosco33
03-15-2008, 10:15 AM

Can't really back out now - she is my future baby's momma :wink:Yup I did and you can tell she is ride or die for the Fos. Congrats man, she is a great chica!

Is the wedding gonna be a big traditional one or a private ceremony?

It's in Los Angeles and my gigantic family is back in WI - so it'll be her family, my immediate family and close friends - at a country club - so not too traditional. We're gonna have a big pig roast and kegger in WI for the peeps that are gonna miss it.

Thanks everyone

Iron Mike
03-15-2008, 12:43 PM
It's in Los Angeles and my gigantic family is back in WI - so it'll be her family, my immediate family and close friends - at a country club - so not too traditional. We're gonna have a big pig roast and kegger in WI for the peeps that are gonna miss it.

Thanks everyone

I was at a wedding at some lodge in Century City three years ago. Unfortunately, all the guests were seated facing West as the sun went down, so unless you had sunglasses, you missed the wedding. :(

I hope that your wedding is problem-free. 8-)

Badgepack
03-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all the nice thoughts people.

The wedding went perfect, the weather was 65 and no wind, the toast was very nice, and I did not sing. My daughter was the most beautiful bride in the world, which is not suprising considering how good looking her dad is.

packinpatland
03-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Glad to hear all went well....................details please.