PDA

View Full Version : QUINN GRAY VISITS PACKERS (3/10/07)

gbpackfan
03-10-2008, 06:35 PM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports free agent QB Quinn Gray visited with the Packers on Monday.

No Aaron Brooks yet. On Tuesday, Gray will visit the Raiders, who Schefter says are "very interested" in having him behind JaMarcus Russell. Gray's best chance for playing time would be in Oakland, particularly if Russell is truly pushing 300 pounds. The Packers seem sold on Rodgers as a starter.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

gbpackfan
03-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Why do I have the feeling the Raiders will over-pay Gray and we'll never see him again?

Deputy Nutz
03-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Because they are the Raiders and they are a terrible run organization.

Gray is a career backup, but if I was the Raiders who have had multiple revolving doors at QB since Rich Gannon retired I would want a guy like Gray who has some talent, and is athletic enough to pull a couple wins out of his ass.

Bretsky
03-10-2008, 07:42 PM
I'd like to see Gray in Green n Gold; he seems like an ideal backup to Rodgers with some potential as well.

If TT wants somebody he has plenty of loot to pay for him

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-10-2008, 07:52 PM
If TT wants somebody he has plenty of loot to pay for him

Yes he does. I think we should push for this guy seeing as he's the only decent back up QB remaining.....

Joemailman
03-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Trent Green re-signs with Rams. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/rams/2008-03-10-green-return_N.htm?csp=34

Am I the only person who thinks Craig Nall would be a decent backup? He knows the offense, and it would probably only be for a year if they draft someone relatively early. I know he didn't look great when he played against Detroit, but a lot of that can be attributed to rust.

falco
03-10-2008, 08:05 PM
quinn gray will be a starter someday in the NFL, he would be nice to have in case Rodgers aint the guy or can't stay healthy.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2008, 09:01 PM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports free agent QB Quinn Gray visited with the Packers on Monday.

No Aaron Brooks yet. On Tuesday, Gray will visit the Raiders, who Schefter says are "very interested" in having him behind JaMarcus Russell. Gray's best chance for playing time would be in Oakland, particularly if Russell is truly pushing 300 pounds. The Packers seem sold on Rodgers as a starter.

Not sure about that. Russell is the guy there, and I'm sure they are just as sold on Russell as we are on Rodgers at this point. Russell might be pushing 300 pounds, but Rodgers might be injury prone. He might look at our situation as favorably or more than the Raiders.

I'm convinced Thompson won't overpay for him, so if the Raiders offer the moon again, he'll be in Oakland.

The plus is that McCarthy has a reputation for developing QBs, so maybe going to Green Bay is more appealing.

Bretsky
03-10-2008, 09:05 PM

Not sure about that. Russell is the guy there, and I'm sure they are just as sold on Russell as we are on Rodgers at this point. Russell might be pushing 300 pounds, but Rodgers might be injury prone. He might look at our situation as favorably or more than the Raiders.

I'm convinced Thompson won't overpay for him, so if the Raiders offer the moon again, he'll be in Oakland.

The plus is that McCarthy has a reputation for developing QBs, so maybe going to Green Bay is more appealing.

Gray would be an idiot to choose the Raiders over us; when a QB is drafted number one by Al Davis he's going to be given chance after chance after chance. We all have to wonder if AROD is brittle and I'd bet Gray will have his chance. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if TT's offer is embarrassing as compared to the one Al Davis offers if TT chooses to play.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Gray would be an idiot to choose the Raiders over us; when a QB is drafted number one by Al Davis he's going to be given chance after chance after chance. We all have to wonder if AROD is brittle and I'd bet Gray will have his chance. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if TT's offer is embarrassing as compared to the one Al Davis offers if TT chooses to play.

The way you say things like this makes it sound like an insult of Thompson. Really, wouldn't you rather have Thompson at the helm than Davis? If it's the chose of outbidding Al Davis or not, I'm cool with my GM being outbid by Davis.
:D

If Al Davis' offer is embarrasingly high compared to Thompson, then let him walk.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2008, 09:23 PM
What is ARod making now that he's the starter? I can't see Thompson going higher than that. Nor do I think he should. I could see Al Davis going higher than that. He's still be cheaper than his starter (Russell).

Freak Out
03-10-2008, 09:33 PM
I would like to see Gray in GB but not for starters $$$...if that's what someone else is willing to pay then more power to Gray. Although I do think he can be a starter in the NFL.....

Bretsky
03-10-2008, 11:00 PM

The way you say things like this makes it sound like an insult of Thompson. Really, wouldn't you rather have Thompson at the helm than Davis? If it's the chose of outbidding Al Davis or not, I'm cool with my GM being outbid by Davis.
:D

If Al Davis' offer is embarrasingly high compared to Thompson, then let him walk.

Davis is terrible; I'd certainly rather have TT.

Bretsky
03-10-2008, 11:02 PM
What is ARod making now that he's the starter? I can't see Thompson going higher than that. Nor do I think he should. I could see Al Davis going higher than that. He's still be cheaper than his starter (Russell).

An interesting thought; I bet Gray gets offers (not sure it's just one offer either) higher than AROD's base salary. AROD got a signing bonus and is on the rookie scale for about the 20th pick still.

Wonder what his base is; I'd bet some backups receive more

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2008, 11:04 PM
I know it's tough not to get FAs, but you just have to accept it, Bretsky. I accepted it last year. I really thought about how little UFA has helped most teams ,and then I noticed some of the best teams rarely use the system (Indy, Pittsburgh, San Diego). I'm cool with it now. Got some vindication this year. You have to admit that our roster is remarkably strong compared to two years ago. It's working. We don't know if Rodgers is the answer. You couldn't be sure about any QB after Brett, but he has a strong team around him to make his chances of succeeding much higher. Our young talent has to be the envy of a lot of teams (ala the Brew Crew).

digitaldean
03-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Davis is terrible; I'd certainly rather have TT.

http://media.movieweb.com/news/10.2007/crypt.jpg

You mean you don't like the Cryptkeeper?? :wink: [/url]

mission
03-10-2008, 11:45 PM
so how is it the raiders are ALWAYS overspending yet ... are ALWAYS overspending?

isn't that supposed to not even be mathematically possible

twoseven
03-11-2008, 04:00 AM

What does ESPN's John Clayton have to do with Quinn Gray visiting us?

twoseven
03-11-2008, 04:48 AM
I know it's tough not to get FAs, but you just have to accept it, Bretsky. I accepted it last year. I really thought about how little UFA has helped most teams ,and then I noticed some of the best teams rarely use the system (Indy, Pittsburgh, San Diego). I'm cool with it now. Got some vindication this year. You have to admit that our roster is remarkably strong compared to two years ago. It's working. We don't know if Rodgers is the answer. You couldn't be sure about any QB after Brett, but he has a strong team around him to make his chances of succeeding much higher. Our young talent has to be the envy of a lot of teams (ala the Brew Crew).That being said we NEED another QB capable of leading our playoff caliber team, and we are 31 mil under the cap. Hopefully a vet that can keep things going if need be or even outperform AR straight up. We'll be required to erase that 6 mil in space and our upcoming rookies are probably not going to surpass that figure, or so I've read. I don't see signing a guy with Quinn's ability as simply throwing money away. If Quinn can play effectively and AR stays healthy and we develop a rookie QB, Gray could be valuable trade bait down the road ala Matt Schaub. AR has proven to be a health risk, and Nall is about as enticing as Doug Pederson if you consider another QB that might have to be the guy if AR is not. No rookie is realistically running our current team. Sign Gray, don't be afraid to pay him near what AR's is getting (I said near, not the same or more..) because if AR is not the man, for whatever reason, what do we have, Nall or a rookie? FA is all but dried up for QBs that could actually step up IMO.

To say that OAK and AL Davis will pay big for Gray as some have in this string is curious. Has anyone actually looked at their current cap situation? It's already screwed and they STILL have to figure out how to make room for the #4 pick in the draft that may be McFadden. OAK right now is in no shape to pay Gray handsomely, maybe not even fairly.

Hearing names this offseason like greybeards Green and Brunell as backups seems a joke to me, AR has not proven he'll stay healthy enoug to warrant just a band-aid as a backup QB. We need a guy that could take the job and run with it, because he may HAVE to. That extra money could be used to sign all of our upcoming FAs is probably the most likely response. I agree to an extent, but if AR goes down what good will it do us to have the rest of the team sitting pretty while we have NO QB capable of running our offense to show for it? I also add that Clifton's contract will soon be cleared, maybe KGB's and Harris' also will be off the books soon. The team is not without aging high priced players, signing one capable FA from the outside is not salary cap suicide. To me, and IMO, this is not about just clearing cap space to slip under the league minimum, it's more about the FACT that after AR we currenty have NOTHING at QB.

packrulz
03-11-2008, 05:37 AM
Trent Green re-signs with Rams. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/rams/2008-03-10-green-return_N.htm?csp=34

Am I the only person who thinks Craig Nall would be a decent backup? He knows the offense, and it would probably only be for a year if they draft someone relatively early. I know he didn't look great when he played against Detroit, but a lot of that can be attributed to rust.

Gray is ok, at least he's young enough to be around a few years, I'd rather not sign an old guy and teach him the playbook only to have him retire in a couple years. I think Nall can be a decent back up, we'll see in the preseason, and there are a couple young QB's on the practice squad. I'm also ok with drafting a QB and let them fight for a spot in the preseason, that would probably be a better option long term. I don't think ARod is injury prone, he'll be in better shape now that he's taking most of the snaps.

cheesner
03-11-2008, 09:22 AM
so how is it the raiders are ALWAYS overspending yet ... are ALWAYS overspending?

Nope. It is not impossible.

With $10 you can buy a porterhouse steak, or you can buy a hot dog. Same amount of money spent, just one guy paid way too much.

Looking at Oaklands FA comings and goings over the last 4 years, Woodson, Langston Walker, and Jerry Porter were the only decent names. Oakland has the luxury of not having to worry about signing their rising stars - because they don't have many. That frees up a lot of cash for signing FAs.

digitaldean
03-11-2008, 12:11 PM

What does ESPN's John Clayton have to do with Quinn Gray visiting us?

Forgot that's what Schlong Salisbury called Clayton. I meant Al Davis. He looks like he's has one foot in the grave anyway.

twoseven
03-11-2008, 01:16 PM

Nope. It is not impossible.

With $10 you can buy a porterhouse steak, or you can buy a hot dog. Same amount of money spent, just one guy paid way too much.

Looking at Oaklands FA comings and goings over the last 4 years, Woodson, Langston Walker, and Jerry Porter were the only decent names. Oakland has the luxury of not having to worry about signing their rising stars - because they don't have many. That frees up a lot of cash for signing FAs.
They started FA this offseason at around 30 mil under the cap. They have franchised CB Asomugha, signed Kelly, Wilson, Walker, Fargas, Green, Harris, and reclaimed about 4 mil from the Sapp retirement.

After the smoke clears...the Raiders as of last week are now about 6.5 mil below the cap. The number four pick overall (which might be McFadden) plus the rest of their rookies will account for a few dollars as well.

Renegotiating Asomugha's deal will save them some dough, his franchise tag costs them 10 mil. Cutting Lamont Jordan, as they might do, would free up even more. Am I alone in thinking so far that was not 24 mil well spent?

HarveyWallbangers
03-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Am I alone in thinking so far that was not 24 mil well spent?

No.

Fritz
03-12-2008, 09:33 AM
To my way of thinking, anyone who thinks that Gray might be a legitimate NFL QB - someone with "potential" - needs to look at the fact that the dude has been in the league for six years, and has never backed up a guy named Favre. He was working behind such stalwarts as David Garrard and Byron Leftwich.

To me, after six years of backing up guys not named Joe Montana, you're a career backup.

The Leaper
03-12-2008, 09:45 AM
I don't understand the love for Gray either. The guy isn't very accurate, and he's never shown enough to be given a chance yet at age 28.

If we are going to have a capable backup, he needs to either have some solid playing experience under his belt or he needs to have a strong understanding of the WCO.

Needless to say, Gray strikes out on both counts. I'd rather pick up a rookie in the draft to develop than sign Gray.

run pMc
03-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Look for them to bring in a guy like Tim Rattay. He's a backup with some starting experience, has WCO experience from his days at SF, and he won't cost TT lots of money. I also expect TT to draft a QB to groom unless one of the PS guys has made dramatic improvements.

My gut tells me they won't sign Gray. From the limited bits of him I've seen, he looks capable of playing for short stints. I think TT will go elsewhere, especially if someone throws a crazy contract at Gray. You can't pay your backup more than your starter, plus you need a clear starter...sends a bad message to the locker room.

lod01
03-12-2008, 12:09 PM
quinn gray will be a starter someday in the NFL, he would be nice to have in case Rodgers aint the guy or can't stay healthy.

Agreed. Gray showed the best passing ability in Jax. He made some mistakes but he had few reps. He can start in this league if T. Jackson can.

Green Bud Packer
03-12-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't understand the love for Gray either. The guy isn't very accurate, and he's never shown enough to be given a chance yet at age 28.

If we are going to have a capable backup, he needs to either have some solid playing experience under his belt or he needs to have a strong understanding of the WCO.

Needless to say, Gray strikes out on both counts. I'd rather pick up a rookie in the draft to develop than sign Gray.

Couldn't agree more although it would be nice to have a vet behind Rodgers. Just not Gray.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-13-2008, 11:13 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx

Free agent Quinn Gray left Oakland Wednesday without a contract.

He remains on the Raiders' radar, but it's never a good sign when a player is allowed to leave. Gray also visited with the Packers earlier in the week.

twoseven
03-13-2008, 01:28 PM
My two cents on Gray's accuracy if that's the only real knock on him. Can you coach: physical size and height, lower body strength, mobility for a big man, toughness, and arm strength? Can you coach: accuracy? If I had my choice between teaching a big QB with a big arm to be more accurate.. I'll take that and what it will get me eventually.. over a 6' guy that can't see over the line with an average arm, but hits most every target he throws at. Gray seems to have many of the physical traits you look for. MM was a QBs coach for long enough that I would hope he could figure out the accuracy part.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Saints signed QB Mark Brunell, formerly of the Redskins.

The Packers are running out of options. Brunell, 38 this summer, didn't play a down as a third-stringer behind Jason Campbell and Todd Collins last year. He's lost a lot of arm strength and underwent surgery for a torn labrum last offseason. If Drew Brees goes down, he'll likely struggle to post good stats.

twoseven
03-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Dilfer was just released. Yaaaaay.

HarveyWallbangers
06-09-2008, 10:17 PM
He was realized by the Texans.