PDA

View Full Version : A Career in Video Games: Brett Favre

BallHawk
03-11-2008, 02:39 PM
http://sports.ign.com/articles/858/858013p1.html

Just a cool slideshow sort of thing tracking Brett's progression through video games over time.

Deputy Nutz
03-11-2008, 04:28 PM
As for Favre, he took a huge step up from inconsistent, talented quarterback to superstar. Strangely, it was not rewarded with a Pro Bowl appearance. Don't believe in the Pro Bowl, people. He threw nearly twice as many touchdowns while throwing nearly half as many interceptions, becoming more accurate while averaging more yards per pass. It was his last year with Sterling Sharpe, whose painful turf toe forced him into retirement at the age of 28 -- Favre would merely move on to the next in his line of star wideouts, Robert Brooks.

Only problem, is that Sterling Sharpe didn't retire from no turf toe, he retired because he had a spinal injury!

BallHawk
03-11-2008, 04:36 PM
As for Favre, he took a huge step up from inconsistent, talented quarterback to superstar. Strangely, it was not rewarded with a Pro Bowl appearance. Don't believe in the Pro Bowl, people. He threw nearly twice as many touchdowns while throwing nearly half as many interceptions, becoming more accurate while averaging more yards per pass. It was his last year with Sterling Sharpe, whose painful turf toe forced him into retirement at the age of 28 -- Favre would merely move on to the next in his line of star wideouts, Robert Brooks.

Only problem, is that Sterling Sharpe didn't retire from no turf toe, he retired because he had a spinal injury!

They're video game journalists, not sports journalists. :D

twoseven
03-11-2008, 05:17 PM
'..to the next in line of his star wideouts..'

Star wideouts..plural? I didn't know there was more than one, and he retired from turf toe. :?

They apparently don't know too much about 'star wideouts' either, must not get out of their moms' basements very often. :smk:

Jimx29
03-11-2008, 06:10 PM

Only problem, is that Sterling Sharpe didn't retire from no turf toe, he retired because he had a spinal injury!More accurately, it was a cervical disc hernia that required removing the disc and fusing the two vertebrae together. I just had the same procedure done this past November on my C4/C5 vertebrae

red
03-11-2008, 06:54 PM

Star wideouts..plural? I didn't know there was more than one, and he retired from turf toe. :?

They apparently don't know too much about 'star wideouts' either, must not get out of their moms' basements very often. :smk:

hey brooks was damn good, until he injured his own neck

he would have been a big time star

falco
03-11-2008, 07:01 PM

yeah but donald driver sucks, and greg jennings is gonna be pretty shitty too

twoseven
03-12-2008, 03:55 AM

yeah but donald driver sucks, and greg jennings is gonna be pretty shitty too
A 'star' wideout to me is a bigtime threat that demands more than man coverage in most situations, a guy that will typically put up over 80-100 catches, 1000+ yds, and 7-12+ TDs. A guy that can single handedly change how a defense plays, and is rarely shut down even when opponents focus on them, an absolute weapon that most CBs simply cannot cover alone. Sterling Sharpe was a star wideout.

DD was a 7th round draft pick in 99' that took four years to get to 1000 yds and more than a single TD, finally did so in 02'. Javon Walker was Brett's best WR threat in 03' and 04', and it wasn't until 05' that DD took over that role when JW left for DEN. Over his time DD developed into what we've grown to appreciate as one of the hardest working WRs in the game, but with the exception of 02' and 05'-07', he wasn't even the best WR on the Packer's roster. So, IMO, to put him on the top shelf and consider him a 'star' with Sharpe or any other bigtime threats I've ever watched play, for a majority of his days, much less an entire career at the WR position, no way do I put Driver on that level. At best I think DD's time in GB has been good to very good, and that didn't kick in until his fourth year in the league.

Jennings may become a bonefied star, a bigtime threat no matter what defenses do to try and stop him, but one year is a little early to don him this, give it more time. Brett has had SEVERAL good to very good WRs in his career to throw to. But in my opinion Sharpe was the one true star on an equal platform with Brett by way of talent and production.

The Leaper
03-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Sharpe is the only HOF caliber WR Favre played with...he's had a few other very good WRs, but the only reason those other guys were Pro Bowlers was because of Favre. There isn't one example of a guy leaving Green Bay and having even anything close to the production he had with Favre tossing him the ball (Freeman, Schroeder, Walker).

IMO, Driver would never be a Pro Bowl player without a legend QB like Favre tossing him the ball...the same goes for Freeman too.

twoseven
03-12-2008, 04:05 PM
In 9 seasons with Brett DD averaged 56 catches/ 775 yds/ 5 TD annually.

In 7 seasons with GBP Sharpe averaged 85 catches/1162 yds/ 9 TD
In 3 seasons with Brett Sharpe averaged 105 catches/1285 yds/14TD

(I know most everyone know this but..) Sterling Sharpe was a rare combination of speed, size, and power. He couldn't be covered off the line due to his size and strength, and he had the speed to run away from anyone on the field, not to mention great hands. If they did catch him he usually was dragging them with him for extra yards. Sharpe was tackled around 450-500 times in his career, I am willing to wager that every single time he was moving forward when he went down. I cannot remember once that someone actually knocked him backwards. Has there been a WR with his speed, size and strength since his retirement in 94'? I can't think of anyone. I look at the numbers he put up with Brett throwing him the ball and I wonder, awestruck, at what he might have done with another 5-6 years with Brett. He was simply incredible.

Deputy Nutz
03-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Sterling Sharpe was an overall top 5 receiver. If I had to take one receiver Sterling Sharpe would be it. He did everything.

Cheesehead Craig
03-12-2008, 04:21 PM
I love the 2003 Favre game ratings.

Here he is, with about 160 consectutive starts at that time and his durability is only a 63 and his endurance is only a 60.

What the hell would Rodgers be in this game, -8? "Here's the opening snap and Rodgers blows his ACL, tears a quad and dislocates his left shoulder handing the ball off."

The Leaper
03-12-2008, 04:31 PM
That is one thing that always pissed me off about the Madden franchise...their handling of injuries always stunk. If you simulated a preseason game, half of your team would get hurt...but if you actually played the games your guys would hardly ever get hurt. It also was very all-or-nothing...your guy either was 100% or out for 5 weeks, no in between.

I haven't played anything past 2006 though...I got really tired of the franchise's inability to create a realistic football game, and gave up.

Cheesehead Craig
03-12-2008, 04:47 PM
One on-line game I love playing is Front Office Football. It's a text sim, but you have to manage the cap, build a team, scout and draft players.

You can play online in a league with 31 other human GMs. It's a great way to build a franchise and seasons take about 4 months to complete. So you can see how your team does fairly quickly.

Once you get past the initial learning curve, you're good to go.

falco
03-12-2008, 05:04 PM
agreed, Sharpe is the only WR Favre played with that had HOF talent...but how many other quarterbacks have had several seasons with more than one WR of that type?

twoseven
03-13-2008, 04:29 AM
agreed, Sharpe is the only WR Favre played with that had HOF talent...but how many other quarterbacks have had several seasons with more than one WR of that type?

A majority of these players are all (or will all be) in the HOF. Some QBs played with only one, some with two, some with two plus. Some played with any of these combos for very short time periods, some had them for a majority of even all of their career. To me this just allows for a Who made Who discussion, and it further bolsters the legendary status of guys like Elway and Favre who spent the least amount of time with HOF or near HOF receivers in any combination for any length of time.

Otto Graham to Dante Lavelli
Waterfield to Crazy Legs Hirsch
VanBrocklin to Hirsch
Namath to Don Maynard
Jurgenson to Charley Taylor
Griese to Paul Warfield
Staubach to Allworth (and Pearson)
Theisman to Monk
Aikman to Irvin
Elway to Shannon Sharpe
Favre to Sterling Sharpe

VanBroclkin to Tommy McDonald and Tom Fears