PDA

View Full Version : Article - The Draft Gurus

MJZiggy
03-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Check out this new series in which each week one of you makes your case for the player you'd like to see Ted Thompson draft with the first round pick! This week, Vince takes a look at CB Reggie Smith out of Oklahoma.

Read it here. (http://www.packerrats.com)

RashanGary
03-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Nice write up, Vince. When I compared his in game stats, he stood out as one of the more effective CB's, but they said his speed was something like 4.6 and that was low enough for me to wonder. Then they said he was inexperienced and that sort of scares me as well. He played against big time WR's and big time QB's and held up well though. It's so tough when I don't watch college like I do the NFL.

vince
03-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Nice write up, Vince. When I compared his in game stats, he stood out as one of the more effective CB's, but they said his speed was something like 4.6 and that was low enough for me to wonder. Then they said he was inexperienced and that sort of scares me as well. He played against big time WR's and big time QB's and held up well though. It's so tough when I don't watch college like I do the NFL.Thanks JH. From all accounts I've read, Smith is faster than 4.6. He's a legitimate 4.4 guy who is very physical. I even read from people who follow the Sooners closely that he is faster than that. He was a track guy in HS.

While he is still learning the corner position, his success speaks volumes. He's the kind of guy that will do well learning from the masters, but has the football ability and intelligence to become very good.

He just skipped his pro day workout, so he still hasn't come back 100% from his broken toe from late last year, which is a bit of a concern. This is going to hurt his stock, but his football ability will motivate someone to grab him long before the Packers reach their two 2nd round picks.

There are a couple other corners (Talib and Cason) who may be available at the 30 spot that I think will be good ones too, although Talib has some character risk and Cason has played mostly zone in college.

RashanGary
03-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Curtis Lofton is another Sooner that is supposed to be a hell of a football player. We don't particularly NEED another top notch LB, but this kid sounds like the real deal.

I'm going to go to some Sooner forums and see what they have to say about these two.

packrulz
03-12-2008, 06:42 AM
For QB's I like Joe Flacco a lot, he has good size, a strong arm, and huge hands, which will help in cold weather. He also got the snot beat out of him in Delaware so he's tough. If he's still there in the 2nd round TT has to think about taking him. http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZxW_RdJjtos

LL2
03-12-2008, 07:38 AM
Check out this new series in which each week one of you makes your case for the player you'd like to see Ted Thompson draft with the first round pick! This week, Vince takes a look at CB Reggie Smith out of Oklahoma.

Read it here. (http://www.packerrats.com)

Maybe one lucky rat will be right in guessing who TT will pick.

Fritz
03-12-2008, 09:29 AM
So is this kid out of Oklahoma kinda like Michael Hawkins minus the homelessness?

Deputy Nutz
03-12-2008, 10:01 AM
For QB's I like Joe Flacco a lot, he has good size, a strong arm, and huge hands, which will help in cold weather. He also got the snot beat out of him in Delaware so he's tough. If he's still there in the 2nd round TT has to think about taking him. http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZxW_RdJjtos

It might just be me, but I don't like the guy. He has a real methodical release, and his footwork could be improved. Reminds me of John Navarre from Michigan.

KYPack
03-12-2008, 09:02 PM

It might just be me, but I don't like the guy. He has a real methodical release, and his footwork could be improved. Reminds me of John Navarre from Michigan.

He's got a hose, Nutz. Seems to have a couple motions, a slow wind-up and little flip. His footwork ain't that bad. Lots of his stuff came out of the gun and those guys don't do well in the NFL.

Is he Big Ben or Elivis Grbac?

I'd think he'd go high in the second, don't think we'll even have him to worry about at our 2's.

He's not a 1, can't see anybody reaching that high for him.

packrulz
03-13-2008, 07:19 AM

He's got a hose, Nutz. Seems to have a couple motions, a slow wind-up and little flip. His footwork ain't that bad. Lots of his stuff came out of the gun and those guys don't do well in the NFL.

Is he Big Ben or Elivis Grbac?

I'd think he'd go high in the second, don't think we'll even have him to worry about at our 2's.

He's not a 1, can't see anybody reaching that high for him.

Scout.com has him the 2nd QB over Brohm at #44 overall. I guess Jerry Angelo is looking at him anyway so he'll probably be gone.
"Has outstanding size, body strength and an A-1 throwing arm. Was an accurate thrower who didn't lose his composure in pressure situation. Very poised while posessing solid intangibles. Sorts things out well. Good ball placement on short and intermediate throws. Not a threat to run the ball, but can make time while showing good rush sense. Surprisingly effective throwing on the move. High ceiling player with strong 2nd round draft potential."