PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Be Rodgers' Backup?

Joemailman
03-12-2008, 12:00 PM
With Nall a Free agent, right now it is Jerry Babb.

BallHawk
03-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Well it should of been Carr, but the Giants got him.

At this point, a QB in the draft or a solid vet would be the way to go.

Joemailman
03-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Okay, who voted for Dilweg? :lol:

Freak Out
03-12-2008, 05:57 PM
I just did.......you put him in there so I had to vote for him. S+M vote.

GBRulz
03-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Ha! more people think Dilweg should be our b/u vs. thinking that Rodgers is the next ironman. :lol:

BooHoo
03-12-2008, 08:51 PM
I go for Daunte or Mark. It makes since to get a backup in FA, rather than risk a draft pick on one (oh course, a 7th rounder wouldn't hurt us).

Tony Oday
03-12-2008, 09:17 PM
I would have LOVED Carr but Nall has put in his dues!

Joemailman
03-12-2008, 09:31 PM
I go for Daunte or Mark. It makes since to get a backup in FA, rather than risk a draft pick on one (oh course, a 7th rounder wouldn't hurt us).

I would expect TT do do both. Sign a FA and use a mid-round pick (3-5) on a QB.

red
03-12-2008, 09:40 PM
i would say brunell

IMO, we need that vinny testaverde type of backup. i guy thats already been there, and is a little past his prime and knows it. but someone who still has a bit left in the tank if we need it. they will not be the future, so we don't need someone young

a guy that won't come in to compete, we need someone to work with rodgers, not against him.

out of that list brunell to me matches that the best. plus it might be nice for him to end his career doing nothing for the same team that he started his career also doing nothing lol

gbpackfan
03-12-2008, 09:54 PM
David Carr? Are you guys serious? He was PATHETIC last year in Carolina. Ummm, no. Quinn Gray is an okay choice but Nall and a draft pick will do as well. Let's face it, if (when) A-Rod goes down, we're in trouble.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-12-2008, 10:15 PM
David Carr? Are you guys serious? He was PATHETIC last year in Carolina. Ummm, no. Quinn Gray is an okay choice but Nall and a draft pick will do as well. Let's face it, if (when) A-Rod goes down, we're in trouble.

I'm starting to agree with this. I think Nall and a low draft pick may due.

MadtownPacker
03-12-2008, 10:19 PM
David Carr? Are you guys serious? He was PATHETIC last year in Carolina. Ummm, no. Quinn Gray is an okay choice but Nall and a draft pick will do as well. Let's face it, if (when) A-Rod goes down, we're in trouble.Like you said, if ARod goes down it's game over for the 2008 season. So why not bring in Carr, who wont pose a threat to Rodgers and maybe, just maybe can be salvaged. I would rather see him then Green or Brunell or culpepper. Whoever the hell it is should be young and have a decent arm for when bad weather kicks in. Carr fits that criteria even if he is broken goods.

Tony Oday
03-12-2008, 10:25 PM
What did Carr have to work with?

In houston he had some weapons and did well.

Bretsky
03-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Da World Champs already signed Carr to backup Eli Manning. Gray might be ok; a rookie or Nall would be fine also.

It also looks the OG's who could come in and make an impact on this team next year are now off the free agency board with Bell and Scott getting recently signed.

There were not many quality free agents this year; the ones that were available are gone. At PFW they have a nice list by position and what's left is sickening.

TT should just keep on a stackin draft picks and hope he hits on some for a few years down the road. Sign a couple of his own this year and put all the cap space hit right into the 2008 salary cap. Better for the future.

Lurker64
03-12-2008, 10:55 PM
TT should just keep on a stackin draft picks and hope he hits on some for a few years down the road. Sign a couple of his own this year and put all the cap space hit right into the 2008 salary cap. Better for the future.

We stand to have a lot of important free agents in 1-2 years, now wouldn't be a bad time to invest a goodly amount of that cap in extending some of those players.

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 08:21 AM
We stand to have a lot of important free agents in 1-2 years, now wouldn't be a bad time to invest a goodly amount of that cap in extending some of those players.

Yeah...but who exactly do you extend? Jennings is an obvious choice, but where do you go from there?

You don't extend young guys just to extend them. They have to PROVE worthy of being a long term starter. We have a lot of guys that might get to that point in the future, but the jury is still out and Thompson won't make a move until a verdict comes in. Paying guys for one good season is a bad precident.

wist43
03-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Doesn't matter...

We're not going anywhere for quite a while... TT should start looking for a starter, not a backup.

sepporepi
03-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Jennings is too early to extrend. He has just played 2 years of his rookie deal.
Extend him next offseason, if he keeps up the good work.

We should extend Kampman, he is outperfoming his deal BigTime.
We should also extend Pickett, not break the bank for him, but
give him some money, so he feels appreciated.

Give Grant a nice little 2 year contract, so he isn't forced to play for his minimum contract next year. He will still be a RFA after the 2 years and we can tender him high (1+3) or just sign him to a nice long term contract then.

If Jolly plays well the first 8 games, he deserves a Jenkins-like deal.

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 09:51 AM
We should extend Kampman, he is outperfoming his deal BigTime.

We just extended him prior to 2007.

We should also extend Pickett, not break the bank for him, but
give him some money, so he feels appreciated.

Why? Pickett is the kind of guy you don't extend in the middle of a deal. He's a fat guy that is a run stuffer. Sure, he's good at it...but he won't break the bank in FA, which is why we got him relatively cheap in the first place.

Give Grant a nice little 2 year contract, so he isn't forced to play for his minimum contract next year.

So Jenning plays at a near Pro Bowl level last year for 16 games, and has 2 solid years under his belt...but it's too early to extend him according to you. Grant, who has a half season to his credit and 2 years still remaining on his current deal, is your candidate for an immediate pay raise...without extending his deal? Yikes.

If Jolly plays well the first 8 games, he deserves a Jenkins-like deal.

Hell, no. Jenkins has proven he can pressure the passer. Jolly isn't anywhere near Jenkins in terms of athleticism or ability.

sepporepi
03-13-2008, 11:32 AM
We just extended him prior to 2007.

That is wrong.

Kampman signed a 4 year $21 million deal on March 11, 2006, he has played two of the 4 years now. I still say extend him for 2 more years and give him some signing bonus, but don't change his base salery for the next two years.

Why?
Because he is important for the D. Without him the run D would have been nothing the last games.
He is playing a four-year, $14 million contract, signed in march 2006.

So Jenning plays at a near Pro Bowl level last year for 16 games, and has 2 solid years under his belt...but it's too early to extend him according to you. Grant, who has a half season to his credit and 2 years still remaining on his current deal, is your candidate for an immediate pay raise...without extending his deal? Yikes.

There is a difference:

Jennings got a $1.24 million signing bonus on his rookie deal, he will play his 3rd year on the deal next season.

Grant will play for the 2nd year minimum, without any bonus received if nothing is done.

Hell, no. Jenkins has proven he can pressure the passer. Jolly isn't anywhere near Jenkins in terms of athleticism or ability.

Don't know waht playing well for you means. If he is able to absolute stuff the run he is worth some money for me.[/quote]

Merlin
03-13-2008, 03:35 PM
I agree that Thompson should be looking for a QB as a possible starter and not a backup. Rodgers needs to feel the heat of the competition to go anywhere. I believe Rodgers is the outright starter at this point but with no one pushing him in camp, it will be a disaster until he develops the parts of his game that aren't there yet. Without stiff competition with someone who has those skills, there is no reason for him to get better at them until he actually experiences them. Favre was a special kind of QB and proved over his career that he was prone to bone-headed mistakes right until the last throw of his career. The difference is that he made a ton more great plays that made up for it. Rodgers needs a viable starter to push him before the season starts. The Packers need it. Nall is a viable and worthy backup despite the mob mentality. All he did was what he was asked to do when he stepped on the field for us. Everyone thought Rodgers was "awesome" in his game against Dallas, but I believe Nall had a better rating and completion percentage when he stepped in under fire a few years ago. I guess for whatever reason that player has somehow disappeared now?

Merlin
03-13-2008, 03:37 PM
And why isn't TJ Rubley on this list? He did have to come in from eating hot dogs on the sidelines against the Vikings when Favre and the other backup went down. Of course he blew the game for us but still...

Brohm
03-13-2008, 04:25 PM
I voted for Nall. I think at the very least he would be a good game manager and has been with the organization and versed in the WCO. I would also spend a 3rd or 4th on a developmental QB (even a 2nd if value was there). I think this would show confidence in Rodgers without betting the farm on his success as he has not proven anything (I think he realizes this as well).

Lurker64
03-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Without stiff competition with someone who has those skills, there is no reason for him to get better at them until he actually experiences them.

This is a curious thought. What is it about Rodgers that leads you to believe that he has no personal drive to improve himself, and would only do so as a result of direct competition?

He certainly had no competition the last three years in Green Bay, and he certainly got better during that period.

BooHoo
03-13-2008, 07:25 PM
I do not think a high draft choice (someone to push ARod) is such a great idea. At this point he needs to know he has the backing of the coaches and players to gain the confidence he needs to survive. Looking over his shoulder at the new young guy can only distract his focus. I say give him a veteran backup and give him the opportunity to make a name for himself.

Merlin
03-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Without stiff competition with someone who has those skills, there is no reason for him to get better at them until he actually experiences them.

This is a curious thought. What is it about Rodgers that leads you to believe that he has no personal drive to improve himself, and would only do so as a result of direct competition?

He certainly had no competition the last three years in Green Bay, and he certainly got better during that period.

It's actually quite simple: You can't get better when you don't know you are lacking something. He has things to work on that were apparent from the Dallas game. But what about th things that haven't been exposed yet? Bringing in someone to compete with him just might show Rodgers he has a thing or two to improve on that he isn't aware of yet. Practice without competition isn't going to expose game time issues. The coaches at best cn say that they think he will perform fine but without anyone there pushing for his job, he has no reason to escalate into the unknown because he doesn't know what he doesn't know yet.

Lurker64
03-14-2008, 06:20 PM
It's actually quite simple: You can't get better when you don't know you are lacking something. He has things to work on that were apparent from the Dallas game. But what about th things that haven't been exposed yet? Bringing in someone to compete with him just might show Rodgers he has a thing or two to improve on that he isn't aware of yet. Practice without competition isn't going to expose game time issues. The coaches at best cn say that they think he will perform fine but without anyone there pushing for his job, he has no reason to escalate into the unknown because he doesn't know what he doesn't know yet.

Rodgers has played football before this year. The coaches have seen thousands of hours of different QBs playing the game of football. You'd think if there was something glaringly missing in Rodgers' game they'd be able to diagnose it. "Hey, this guy I have on this tape does something better than Rodgers does", isn't that hard a thought to have.