PDA

View Full Version : elected officials and hookers

Harlan Huckleby
03-12-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm wondering if politics is a good career option

Joemailman
03-12-2008, 03:11 PM
I think anyone paying for a prostitute should be able to use any position they want.

Deputy Nutz
03-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Surprisingly I have never paid for sex. I really don't see why politicians would risk so much to have sex with a woman who probably doesn't even enjoy it.

Still I won't make a blanket statement that all should lose their jobs.

Freak Out
03-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Surprisingly I have never paid for sex. I really don't see why politicians would risk so much to have sex with a woman who probably doesn't even enjoy it.

Still I won't make a blanket statement that all should lose their jobs.

I have....many years ago (I was not married) a couple of friends and I went to Amsterdam to debauch and ended up on a quest to find the worlds best blow job. Thank goodness the Dutch guilder was a incredibly weak currency at the time....otherwise we would have bankrupt ourselves....but man was it fun. The birthplace of gin, legal hookers and weed/hash. Enough said.

I think prostitution should be legal throughout the US...but it's not and Spitzer was not going to be able to do the job he was elected to do regardless if he broke any other laws so he really needed to go.

The Leaper
03-12-2008, 04:52 PM
In most aspects, blanket statements are not good ideas to live by...so "it depends".

In the Spitzer case, I believe the fact that he broke several laws...not just relating to sex...and that he holds a high level of responsibility in areas where honesty and trust are vital to the public interest are enough that I would support for him to resign.

If the circumstances of the Spitzer situation were true of any senator, congressman, governor or president...I would feel the same. That level of authority demands a principled leader...not a guy looking out for the next chance to get his knob rubbed and how he can hide that fact from his family and the voting public.

Harlan Huckleby
03-12-2008, 07:03 PM
In the Spitzer case, I believe the fact that he broke several laws...not just relating to sex...and that he holds a high level of responsibility in areas where honesty and trust are vital to the public interest are enough that I would support for him to resign.

If the circumstances of the Spitzer situation were true of any senator, congressman, governor or president.

Are you suggesting that Spitzer should only resign if the non-sex charges stick? Those charges aren't likely to be pressed.

You say that a position with high responsibility requires resignation (if I understand you correctly.) So prostitution-soliciting is career ending in your mind for all people in higher office, and the non-sex charges don't matter.

That level of authority demands a principled leader...not a guy looking out for the next chance to get his knob rubbed and how he can hide that fact from his family and the voting public.

Leaper, it appears that you must cast the first yes vote. I get your point that your local alderman doesn't have to resign for soliciting, but in the spirit of the question, you are a solid YES.

MadtownPacker
03-12-2008, 10:42 PM
As long as the guy was pro-prostitution before he got busted I would be fine with it. At least you would know you could trust the man to be honest.

GrnBay007
03-12-2008, 11:24 PM
This seems silly to me. If prostitution is illegal why would anyone say a politician should not lose their position if prosecuted for an illegal act? FYI people.......Politicians can control their urges just like the average joe....or find it someplace legally.

Why should any rich Politician get special treatment? I remember a professor in college tell us if you've ever smoked marijuana or drank regularly to excess you can right now forget ever being hired by the FBI or Secret Service. So the people protecting the rich assholes are held to a hire standard than the politicians? That's crazy!!!

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Are you suggesting that Spitzer should only resign if the non-sex charges stick? Those charges aren't likely to be pressed.

It doesn't matter if charges are pressed, Huck. The evidence is there...the guy DID it. His trust with the public has been broken...which is why a guy who was elected by 70% of the voters now has 70% of the voters in favor of his resignation.

If officials believe his resignation is enough of a punishment to not press charges, so be it. This is a crime that only hurt Spitzer and his family...spending a bunch of money to prosecute a guy who had to resign from public service in humiliation is hardly a worthwhile effort IMO. If Spitzer had not resigned, you can bet charges would be forthcoming.

Leaper, it appears that you must cast the first yes vote. I get your point that your local alderman doesn't have to resign for soliciting, but in the spirit of the question, you are a solid YES.

You purposely worded your question to cover ALL politicians, and you made it specific to SEX...ignoring the other illegalities of the Spitzer case. Then you try to pigeonhole people when they make it perfectly clear what their opinion is, despite your lousy ass poll question.

Harlan Huckleby
03-13-2008, 08:33 AM
This seems silly to me. If prostitution is illegal why would anyone say a politician should not lose their position if prosecuted for an illegal act?

Your view runs counter to tradition. There are many minor crimes for which public officials would not automatically resign: open bottle, sports betting, domestic disturbance, driving without a license, concealed weapon or other firearm violation, jaywalking, disturbing the peace, DWI, marijuana possession, really any misdemeanor and some felonies. I would put solicitation down there with removing a “do not remove” tag from a mattress.

FYI people.......Politicians can control their urges just like the average joe....or find it someplace legally.

Prostitution is as much a part of our social fabric as little league baseball or Late Night TV. Police routinely ignore it, they typically only crack down when it is so obvious that it creates a nuisance. Every large hotel in larger cities has prostitutes. Do not be surprised if your priest has a special friend out of town, he may even insist that she pretend to be Mary Magdalene.

I bet if the FBI did a broad sting, they could round-up truck loads of politicians, judges and senior goverment officals in Washington.

I'm glad you spoke-up, because I guess a lot of people agree with you regarding prostitution. I was listening to a call-in show yesterday, and several women were saying that the issue of trafficing (forcing women into prositution against their will) should be addressed by going after the demand side - making soliciation a felony. :shock: I think we have a gender gap in how this issue is viewed. :D

Harlan Huckleby
03-13-2008, 08:44 AM

It doesn't matter if charges are pressed, Huck. The evidence is there...the guy DID it. His trust with the public has been broken...which is why a guy who was elected by 70% of the voters now has 70% of the voters in favor of his resignation.

I'm sure that 90% of the public wanted Larry Craig to resign. These sex scandals always start-out with a giant flurry of indignation.

If you think that prostitution is an impeachable offense, fine, I'm just asking.

You purposely worded your question to cover ALL politicians, and you made it specific to SEX...ignoring the other illegalities of the Spitzer case. Then you try to pigeonhole people when they make it perfectly clear what their opinion is, despite your lousy ass poll question.

The question was perfectly understandable and direct. You made the legitimate, although minor point that I did not specify what level of politician. OK, I clarified that we are talking about major politicians, not locals.

I made it specific to SEX because I'm trying to see what people think about this issue. Other legalities are a broad and confusing issue. Pigeonhole people? That's the purpose of surveys, one trys to narrow the questions to get straight answers. You are the one who brought in the Spitzer case and gave an essay answer.

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm sure that 90% of the public wanted Larry Craig to resign. These sex scandals always start-out with a giant flurry of indignation.

I believe Craig should also resign. It was pretty clear the guy was looking for something that a man of his stature should be smart enough to stay away from.

However, let's be fair. In Craig's situation the details aren't quite as damning. He was not potentially on the hook for multiple felony offenses, as Spitzer is. He also was not charged with a prostitution-related offense...so I fail to see how his situation mirrors Spitzer. While we all can reasonably ASSUME what Craig was looking for, he wasn't actually caught in the act. In his case, public embarrassment and eventually being voted out of office is probably punishment enough.

As such, I think the case for Spitzer's resignation is far stronger than for Craig...due to the charges that could be brought against him and the fact he prosecuted people in the past for doing the exact same things...the hypocritical nature of Spitzer's antics, not the sex itself, is what has people so outraged.

You are the one who brought in the Spitzer case and gave an essay answer.

Not really. I said "it depends" because it does. As such, I have to vote "no" because there are circumstances where I might not view illegal sex by a "politician" as an impeachable offense...and "it depends" is not an option.

Claiming I have to vote "yes" is ridiculous.

Harlan Huckleby
03-13-2008, 10:44 AM
In Craig's situation the details aren't quite as damning. He was not potentially on the hook for multiple felony offenses, as Spitzer is.

OK, but those charges are absurd. The Mann Act for the hooker taking a train from New Jersey!? come on.

He also was not charged with a prostitution-related offense...so I fail to see how his situation mirrors Spitzer.

what!? Craig pleaded down to disorderly conduct, but he was busted for soliciting sex. Soliciting a prostitute and soliciting for sex in a bathroom are similar misdemeanors.

The legal crap is just superficial. The real scandals were over sexual misconduct. And nobody should resign over these sorts of issues, in my view. Let the voters weigh it at the next election.

.the hypocritical nature of Spitzer's antics, not the sex itself, is what has people so outraged.

right.

As such, I have to vote "no" because there are circumstances where I might not view illegal sex by a "politician" as an impeachable offense..

Look Leaper, I'm just trying to understand what you're saying. You gave a speech that appeared to be unambiguous. If you want to clarify, give an example where illegal sex shouldn't be an impeachable offense for a senior politician. (But stop whining about being misunderstood. :P )

Harlan Huckleby
03-13-2008, 10:46 AM
I believe Craig should also resign. It was pretty clear the guy was looking for something that a man of his stature should be smart enough to stay away from.

Fine. Your position is that politicians should resign if they get busted for sexual misadventures.

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Fine. Your position is that politicians should resign if they get busted for sexual misadventures.

Generally, yes...but I still find it strange why you wish to find "yes" or "no" answers to a topic that is so far-reaching.

I would wish for people to resign when they show serious indiscretion, although I'm not going to campaign for people to resign. It also depends on the exact situation and the person's response to it. Do they show remorse and a willingness to change their behavior...or are they just mad they got caught? That is as important...maybe more so...than just what they did IMO.

One guy caught with a hooker may show real contrition and a desire to change as a result.

One guy caught with a hooker may not show any remorse or contrition, and is trying to just make it all go away.

Even with the same crime, the two situations are very different IMO because of the reaction of the individual.

Freak Out
03-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Spitzer needed to go because he was not going to be able to do the job he was elected to do.....many NY legislators were not going to allow it to continue, it was impeachment hearings and constant harassment until he gave up or was thrown out. I have not read much about this whole affair but I don't think any charges have even been filed?
The sad thing is that another public official got caught with his pants down and wallet open and now his wife and three lovely daughters will suffer publicly for it.....for that he needs an ass wooping like he's never had.

Partial
03-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Spitzer cost hundreds of Milwaukee residents jobs. Good riddance that he got caught. Couldn't have happened to a better guy. Hopefully his wife takes him to the bank in the divorce.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Why should any rich Politician get special treatment? I remember a professor in college tell us if you've ever smoked marijuana or drank regularly to excess you can right now forget ever being hired by the FBI or Secret Service. So the people protecting the rich assholes are held to a hire standard than the politicians? That's crazy!!!

That statement (professor's) is patently false.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-13-2008, 02:00 PM
harlan,

You can't compare a governor to a senator. A gov is sworn to uphold the laws of his/her state. A senator isn't.

That is a major difference.

Harlan Huckleby
03-13-2008, 05:34 PM
harlan,

You can't compare a governor to a senator. A gov is sworn to uphold the laws of his/her state. A senator isn't.

That is a major difference.

What you say is relevant. But most important difference between Senator and Governor is that the Governor is a far more visible job.

There was a hundred times more publicity surrounding Spitzer than Vitter. (Hey, that sounds like a good comedy team or cocktail, spitzer & vitter) Spitzer is governor of state with largest media market in the world.

I'm against mob justice, especially with emotional issues of personal conduct. If Spitzer had misused his office then its a no-brainer he has to go or be impeached. I think elections are the mechanism to deal with sex scandals.

MJZiggy
03-13-2008, 06:14 PM
what!? Craig pleaded down to disorderly conduct, but he was busted for soliciting sex. Soliciting a prostitute and soliciting for sex in a bathroom are similar misdemeanors.

The legal crap is just superficial. The real scandals were over sexual misconduct. And nobody should resign over these sorts of issues, in my view. Let the voters weigh it at the next election.

I thought it was only solicitation if they agreed on a price. I think Craig was just trying to get laid and that's between him and his wife (and whoever else gets involved).

Harlan Huckleby
03-13-2008, 09:00 PM
I thought it was only solicitation if they agreed on a price. I think Craig was just trying to get laid and that's between him and his wife (and whoever else gets involved).

it's solicitation if they make you wear a condom.