PDA

View Full Version : Best Worst offseason moves so far

motife
03-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Ask the experts
What has been the best offseason move thus far, and the worst?
By PFW staff
March 10, 2008

A little more than 10 days into the 2008 free-agency period, the NFL’s offseason has been anything but quiet.

Brett Favre has retired, Randy Moss re-signed with New England, stars like Jonathan Vilma (Saints), Marcus Stroud (Bills) and Shaun Rogers (Browns) were traded, and a number of players have moved to new cities via free agency — most notably CB Asante Samuel (Eagles) and OG Alan Faneca (Jets).

There are many more players’ futures still to be decided, with franchise tags still to be settled or lifted and a number of unrestricted free agents still on the market. There likely will be a few more trades prior to the April 26-27 draft, as teams scramble to fill as many holes as possible prior to the annual selection meeting in order to give them more flexibility and options on draft weekend.

So, as we stand in the midst of this flurry of activity, we thought it would be interesting to ask a few PFW editors to offer their opinion on the best and worst moves of the offseason, thus far.

Editor-in-chief Keith Schleiden:

Best move: Patriots re-signing WR Randy Moss
The Patriots have taken some personnel hits this offseason. But the one free agent they couldn’t afford to lose — WR Randy Moss — will remain in Foxborough after agreeing to a three-year deal worth a reported $27 million. Yes, the Patriots have won multiple Super Bowls without Moss. And yes, the Patriots have lost the only Super Bowl in which Moss played for New England. But given his ability to stretch the field and open up a record-setting offensive attack, his return was paramount to the Patriots making another run in 2008. Moss may have been able to get a few more dollars elsewhere, but nowhere would he have been put in a situation that allows him to succeed so easily as in New England.

Worst move: Bears signing ex-Redskins WR Brandon Lloyd
The Bears lost Bernard Berrian to the division-rival Vikings and released WR Muhsin Muhammad, making the WR position an area of serious need. So, they’ve added Marty Booker and Brandon Lloyd. Booker is still capable, leading the Dolphins in receiving a season ago. There are questions, however, about whether Lloyd has ever been capable in the NFL. He was a fourth-round pick of the 49ers in 2003, but his antics and lack of commitment led to his being traded to the Redskins in ’06. What did Daniel Snyder get in exchange for $10 million guaranteed? 25 catches and no touchdowns in two seasons. Lloyd has some intriguing skills. But he’s a career underachiever who has already made his fortune. There’s little reason to believe he will all of a sudden “get it” in Chicago.

Executive editor Dan Arkush:

The re-signing of Moss, coming off a record-breaking season, really sticks out — especially when measured against all the moves involving the highest-profile pass catchers that have or haven’t been made (see Larry Fitzgerald in Arizona) this offseason. Moss could have really played hardball with the Pats if he wanted do, but for the second straight season, he agreed to settle for less money than he could have made elsewhere — although a $12 million signing bonus and $3 million in guaranteed money is hardly chump change. Keeping Moss in the mix assures New England of once again having one of the most potent passing attacks.

Worst move: Jets signing ex-Cardinals OLB Calvin Pace
Put simply, this was the biggest case of overspending as there has been so far in an offseason characterized by financially questionable dealings. I understand the Jets feeling pressure to keep up with the Giants and Patriots by creating a buzz with their willingness to open their checkbook. And I give major props to Pace, whose career was rejuvenated last season with his switch to outside linebacker in the Cardinals’ 3-4. But there’s NO way he should be getting a $20 million signing bonus for basically one good year while proven commodity Lance Briggs ended up settling for $13 million from the Bears.

Senior editor Eric Edholm:

Best move: Packers trading DT Corey Williams to the Browns for a second-round draft pick
I really thought the Packers were shrewd by franchising DT Corey Williams and getting a second-rounder for him. They liked him as a player but didn’t want to pay him. The Browns clearly did. So the Packers made the smart move of franchising Williams, which inflated his value and gave them security to work out a deal. He has some talent, but he always did his best work in a rotation. I think the Browns overpaid for him. It’s subtle moves like this that make Ted Thompson a good GM.

Worst move: Jets signing ex-Lions OL Damien Woody
Most of the Jets’ moves have surprised me, but Damien Woody was the oddest. They gave $11 million guaranteed to a guy who has exactly five starts at right tackle under his belt. He played pretty well there late last season from what I saw. But people around the Lions say he was fully intent on getting paid. And we know what happened the last time he did: He got fat and lazy with the Lions, losing his starting spot. As much as I liked the Alan Faneca signing, that’s how much I disliked the Woody deal.

Senior editor Mike Wilkening:

Best move: (tie) Titans signing ex-Falcons TE Alge Crumpler and Saints signing ex-Panthers MLB Dan Morgan
I can’t fault Atlanta for cutting Crumpler or Carolina for tiring of waiting for Morgan to stay healthy. Instead, I’ll praise the Titans for signing Crumpler to a low-risk two-year contract and the Saints for signing Morgan to an incentive-laden one-year contract. Both players can easily outplay those deals … if they can stay on the field, of course.

Worst move: Jets signing ex-Cardinals OLB Calvin Pace
Last season, Pace notched 98 tackles and 6.5 sacks; in his four previous seasons, he had a grand total of 84 tackles and 7.5 sacks to this credit. On the basis of his ’07 production, Pace reportedly received a six-year, $42 million deal from the Jets that includes $22 million guaranteed. Yes, consistent pass-rush pressure is hard to come by, but the Jets paid significant money for a player who 1) has played at a high level for only one season and 2) now has to learn the intricacies of a new defense.

Associate editor Dan Parr:

Re-signing WR Randy Moss saved the Patriots from normalcy. New England came eerily close to allowing the most vital addition to an offense that went from good to record-setting and scary-good last season get away. His departure would have made the Patriots’ “O” look a lot more like the rest of the teams in the league.

Worst move: Panthers not improving their offense
The Panthers failed to upgrade an offense that was in dire need of weapons at receiver and running back, settling instead for second- and third-rate stopgaps. Carolina replaced departed disappointments WR Keary Colbert and RB DeShaun Foster with more scrap-heap material like over-the-hill WR Muhsin Muhammad and backup RB LaBrandon Toefield.

Associate editor Matt Sohn:

The Patriots needed Moss. Moss needed the Patriots. And yet, up until his three-year, $27 million deal was finalized, there was doubt as to whether he would continue with the team that enabled him to put together one of the finest receiving seasons in NFL history. In the end, Moss realized he was far better off staying put and taking a small pay cut than he was in going elsewhere and adding a couple million bucks to his bank account. Without Moss, the Pats’ offense is good. With him, it’s outstanding. More importantly, with Moss, they’re right back in the Super Bowl mix.

Worst move: Raiders re-signing DT Tommy Kelly
There are curious moves and then there are baffling moves. The Raiders’ seven-year, $50 million re-signing of DL Tommy Kelly qualifies as the latter. When fully healthy, the versatile Kelly is a solid NFL starting defensive lineman. Nothing more, nothing less. But, the Raiders, perhaps panicking knowing that Warren Sapp was retiring, inked him to one of the richest contracts for a defender in league history, eating up a huge chunk of valuable cap space in the process. Throw in the fact that he’s coming off a reconstructed knee that he blew out in Week Eight, and we have ourselves the craziest decision that Al Davis has executed.

oregonpackfan
03-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Worst move: Oakland Raiders signing WR Javon Walker to a huge contract.
With his knee problems, Walker is nowhere near the receiver he once was.

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 08:11 AM
I think the worst move has to be the Bears STILL not making a commitment to improve the offense by standing pat at QB and letting their best WR skip town.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Worst offseason move: Brett Favre deciding to retire. :)

wist43
03-13-2008, 08:22 AM
It's not the worst offseason move, but I don't like the Williams trade... would much rather have made a run at him last offseason.

Drafting Harrell, then letting Williams walk when it's clear that Williams is the far better player makes no sense to me.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-13-2008, 08:37 AM
It's not the worst offseason move, but I don't like the Williams trade... would much rather have made a run at him last offseason.

Drafting Harrell, then letting Williams walk when it's clear that Williams is the far better player makes no sense to me.

We really don't know that much about Harrell yet. He very well might turn out to be an every down player, something that Williams never was and was never going to be. Now we actually have a guy who might turn out to be a very good player over someone who you know is only a rotation type of guy.

And it's not like we lost him for nothing, we did get a 2nd round pick in return, not bad IMO.

Last year I wasn't happy about drafting Harrell because I also thought it would pretty stupid to draft a guy just to lose another at the same position who is already good. However, now we have a younger player who may turn out to be better than Williams and we got a high pick in return, not to be if you ask me.

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 09:34 AM

C'mon Wist. Harrell has ONE YEAR under his belt, and you are completely convinced that Williams is the FAR BETTER PLAYER?

Also, we didn't let Williams walk...we got a 2nd round pick in return for him.

I'll certainly concede that Williams was a far better pass rusher...the guy had the ability to get after the QB, although not as consistently as you would like from someone commanding a $6M+ salary. Williams was mediocre in terms of stopping the running game though...take away his sacks, and he averaged about 1.5 tackles a game in his career.

Harrell was disappointing last year, but showed flashes of being a sturdy run stuffer. He has a good eye for the football and had a high number of tackles when compared to the amount of time he was actually on the field.

The two guys are completely different. I see Harrell more as an eventual replacement for Pickett. If Favre had returned, then I think I might be more apt to agree that keeping Williams could've helped GB in 2008. However, without Favre, I like the trade even more...since Williams clearly wasn't in the long term plans at the salary level he was going to command.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-13-2008, 10:49 AM
If Favre had returned, then I think I might be more apt to agree that keeping Williams could've helped GB in 2008. However, without Favre, I like the trade even more...since Williams clearly wasn't in the long term plans at the salary level he was going to command.

Wait a minute. These are the same EXACT reasons for why I said we should trade KGB in that one thread I started and you completely rejected the idea. Why is it different for Williams? I don't get it........

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Wait a minute. These are the same EXACT reasons for why a said we should trade KGB in that one thread I started and you completely rejected the idea. Why is it different for Williams? I don't get it........

Was that before or after Favre retired?

I think these are two completely different issues. Williams netted a very valuable 2nd round pick. Cutting KGB would net nothing. It's not like we need the money freed up now. Also, we are going to have to extend deals on our core players starting next year. KGB can be cut then, and it won't harm the cap. Signing Williams to a long-term contract would have tied up money long-term. If you want the money long-term and only planned on having Williams for this year, then it's a no brainer to take the 2nd round pick for him.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Wait a minute. These are the same EXACT reasons for why a said we should trade KGB in that one thread I started and you completely rejected the idea. Why is it different for Williams? I don't get it........

I think these are two completely different issues. Williams netted a very valuable 2nd round pick. Cutting KGB would net nothing. It's not like we need the money freed up now. Also, we are going to have to extend deals on our core players starting next year. KGB can be cut then, and it won't harm the cap. Signing Williams to a long-term contract would have tied up money long-term. If you want the money long-term and only planned on having Williams for this year, then it's a no brainer to take the 2nd round pick for him.

After Favre retired. And didn't say cut KGB, I said trade him. Heres the thread... http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=11576

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Wait a minute. These are the same EXACT reasons for why I said we should trade KGB in that one thread I started and you completely rejected the idea. Why is it different for Williams? I don't get it........

We have already paid KGB, and most of his deal is a sunk cost at this point. We don't have to pay him additional money in terms of potential future cap hits if he flames out. As such, why cut him when he offers value to the team (even if less than his pay rate) and is already built into the current cap costs of the team?

We also can't move KGB for a 2nd round pick. With his current deal, we probably couldn't get anything in return for him outside of a 7th round pick. I doubt we could even get that. We could...and did...get something of solid value in return for Williams.

That is the difference.

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 11:16 AM

It was before. There has been no KGB discussion on here in the last week.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-13-2008, 11:21 AM

It was before. There has been no KGB discussion on here in the last week.

It wasn't before Favre retired. I whole point of the thread was that maybe we should trade KGB because without Favre I don't see us going to the super bowl. Basically what you said about Williams. Click on the link above.

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2008, 11:34 AM
After Favre retired. And didn't say cut KGB, I said trade him. Heres the thread...

Trade him? Yes, if the offer is right. If you could get a 2nd round pick for him, I'd do it. Otherwise, I don't think it's worth it. We have candidates to replace Corey Williams (with Pickett, Jolly, Harrell, Muir and Jenkins able to go inside), so we don't have a huge hole at DT. We don't have anybody capable of replacing what KGB brings to the table.

I think people just get tired of the KGB talk. People have been talking about cutting or trading KGB for years. Why? What he does is hard to find. Sure, if somebody wants to give you the moon, then you trade him. I wouldn't go out of my way to trade him. I definitely wouldn't cut him.

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 12:55 PM
I whole point of the thread was that maybe we should trade KGB because without Favre I don't see us going to the super bowl. Basically what you said about Williams. Click on the link above.

What point is there in dumping a guy who still has value to the team and getting nothing in return?

We got a 2nd round pick for Williams. We probably couldn't get anything in a trade for KGB with his current deal.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-13-2008, 01:26 PM
What point is there in dumping a guy who still has value to the team and getting nothing in return?

There would be no point. You obviously didn't even the thread. But whatever it doesn't matter, just forget it. When it comes down to it I could care less if we trade him or not.

cheesner
03-13-2008, 02:13 PM

C'mon Wist. Harrell has ONE YEAR under his belt, and you are completely convinced that Williams is the FAR BETTER PLAYER?

Also, we didn't let Williams walk...we got a 2nd round pick in return for him.

I'll certainly concede that Williams was a far better pass rusher...the guy had the ability to get after the QB, although not as consistently as you would like from someone commanding a $6M+ salary. Williams was mediocre in terms of stopping the running game though...take away his sacks, and he averaged about 1.5 tackles a game in his career.

Harrell was disappointing last year, but showed flashes of being a sturdy run stuffer. He has a good eye for the football and had a high number of tackles when compared to the amount of time he was actually on the field.

The two guys are completely different. I see Harrell more as an eventual replacement for Pickett. If Favre had returned, then I think I might be more apt to agree that keeping Williams could've helped GB in 2008. However, without Favre, I like the trade even more...since Williams clearly wasn't in the long term plans at the salary level he was going to command.
Harrell may not get many sacks, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have considerable impact on the passing game. Harrell has trouble getting around blockers. He doesn't have trouble pushing them back. By collapsing the pocket the QB must hurry his pass or roll out. This helps the DBs in coverage and the DEs in getting sacks. When JH was at Tenn his final year, their sack total dropped very significantly after he was out. Even though he only had a few.

Regardless, Even though CW is more effective as a player than JH last year, he was pretty much at the top of his game. JH, however, still has a ton of upside. He will likely be considerably better than CW in the few seasons. That is the role of a GM - to envision the future of players to make wise financial/player decisions.

BooHoo
03-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Harrell is still unproven. He didn't show enough last year to warrant a first round pick. Let's wait and see how he performs over the next two years.