PDA

View Full Version : Barnett reaches deal in bar incident

GBRulz
03-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Glad this one is put to rest.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080312/GPG0101/80312149/1978

Packers’ Barnett reaches deal in bar incident

By Dan Wilson
Gannett Wisconsin Media

APPLETON – Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett entered into a deferred prosecution agreement today on two disorderly conduct charges that will result in criminal charges being dismissed.

“This achieves our goal,” said his attorney, Avi Berk, after a short court hearing.

The charges stemmed from an altercation in a downtown Appleton nightspot on the night of June 16-17.

“Nick will not get a criminal conviction and Nick will not get a criminal record,” said Berk.

Berk said the ultimate dismissal of the charges would also remove any grounds for suspension from the NFL for off-the-field conduct.

Under the terms of the agreement reached with special prosecutor Ray Pelrine and approved by Outagamie County Judge Harold Froehlich, Barnett entered a no contest plea to one of the two charges.

No conviction will be recorded and as long as Barnett has no more run-ins with the law between now and July 1, the charge will be reduced to an ordinance violation and he will pay a fine of $500 plus court costs.

The other charge will be dismissed outright.

Another condition requires Barnett to attend an anger management course. Berk said that requirement has already been fulfilled through a league-sponsored program.

On the night of June 16-17 Barnett knocked drinks from the hands of two women during an argument in the Wet Bar, 344 W. College Ave. and threw the cell phone belonging to one of the women against the wall, damaging the phone.

In a separate incident about 45 minutes later Barnett again confronted one of the women, threw a drink in her face and knocked her to the floor. Barnett then left bar in the company of another Packer player.

Wilson writes for The Post-Crescent of Appleton.

packinpatland
03-12-2008, 07:42 PM
No conviction will be recorded and as long as Barnett has no more run-ins with the law between now and July 1, the charge will be reduced to an ordinance violation and he will pay a fine of $500 plus court costs.

I'm assuming then that Goodell can't issue a suspension, 'detention' or anything, right?

Rastak
03-12-2008, 08:05 PM

I'm assuming then that Goodell can't issue a suspension, 'detention' or anything, right?

Wrong. He most certainly can.

However, I think this case was way overblown and I'd be surprised if Barnett got any punishment from the league.
He certainly shouldn't.

MadtownPacker
03-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Yeah, he can still get in trouble. The NFL has conduct rules setup. It being considered a crime in the eyes of the law means nothing. In this case I would be shocked if Nick Beats got any static from the punkass commish.

Kiwon
03-13-2008, 04:30 AM
I haven't done any research but I'd say the Packers have had better than average offseasons lately as far as players running afoul of the law.

The Bengals probably have a dedicated line at their HQ for law enforcement to use with their guys in the off-season.

swede
03-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Yeah, things have quieted down since Mossy Cade left town.

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 09:59 AM
I doubt the NFL does anything to Barnett for now...even though they could. This incident will certainly be used against him if he gets in trouble again though.

Merlin
03-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Do we really want our MLB to be attending an "Anger Management" course? The last thing we need is Barnett out there picking daisies and complimenting the opponents!

CaliforniaCheez
03-13-2008, 04:01 PM
When you mention "Anger Management" classes I can't help but picture them being given in South Park style.

That's more punishment than a fine. At least he has taken his punishment.