PDA

View Full Version : J Stew to need surgery!!!

PackerPro42
03-13-2008, 06:53 AM
"NFL Network's Mike Mayock reports that Oregon RB Jonathan Stewart may need surgery on his big toe. The procedure would keep him out four to six months.
Stewart suffered a turf toe injury in November and didn't miss any games. He also ran the forty at the Combine, but performed no shuttle or cone drills. In the meantime, he had MRIs done and doctors recommended he undergo surgery. Individual teams will evaluate whether surgery is required. Expected to be a first-round pick, his stock will fall dramatically with any team who"

Depending on the severity of the toe surgery it is very possible that this could drop him out of the first round. I'm not sure whether it's a chronic condition, but stewart has always had that knock on him for not being able to stay healthy and toe injuries can often times be career altering.

*If this is true, this could put him right in contention for the Packers to snag him.

SkinBasket
03-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Just what we need. Another player who won't be ready to contribute until mid-season, if at all this year, for all the TT haters to cry about being a wasted 1st round pick.

I don't like RBs with bionic toes.

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 08:09 AM
No thanks. We need a CB or OL prospect.

wist43
03-13-2008, 08:20 AM

TT won't draft for need... he's proven that.

PackerPro42
03-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Word, and we could use a solid RB to back Grant.

Deputy Nutz
03-13-2008, 09:23 AM

TT won't draft for need... he's proven that.

We needed a weakside linebacker, he took Hawk.

We needed a wide receiver, he took Greg Jennings

We needed offensive guards he took Colledge, and Spitz.

We needed running backs. he selected Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn.

Hell, we needed a back up QB for Favre and an eventual starter, he took Rodgers.

He took Harrell. and now with the trade of Williams he parlayed that into a second round pick. He chopped off the need for a defensive tackle at the knees.

Say what you will about the prospects he drafted, that is up for debate, but don't say he won't draft players out of need.

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 09:38 AM

Solid, yes. First round pick, nah.

Brandon Jackson was a 2nd round pick last year...and could very well develop into a solid #2 back this season. Bring in another kid with a 3rd or 4th round pick, and we'll be in good shape IMO.

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Say what you will about the prospects he drafted, that is up for debate, but don't say he won't draft players out of need.

I agree with you Nutz.

Sure, Thompson doesn't always pick the position of greatest need when his pick comes up...but only a dumbass would do that. His high selections have all filled areas of need...some immediate and some for the future. That is precisely how a GM is supposed to draft, unless you live in Wist's unhappy world where the only success is taking an All Pro with every pick.

oregonpackfan
03-13-2008, 09:51 AM
This injury does show Stewart's toughness and dedication to the team. Last year, he played the last two games of the season and the Ducks Bowl game with this nagging toe injury.

He could have chosen to sit on the bench to give his toe time to heal. The Ducks had lost several key starters on offense due to season-ending injury, including QB Dennis Dixon. Stewart chose to play on to help the team win those games.

He may have paid the price, however, in his draft status.

By the way, Stewart is a junior who declared early. He is not that old.

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 09:56 AM
I like him...I just don't see using a first day pick on him (or any other RB)considering our needs elsewhere and the potential talent on the board in those areas on the first day.

Partial
03-13-2008, 11:44 AM

I like Stewart a lot. I'd love to take him if he falls. That would be a top 10 prospect in the draft imo at the bottom of the first. Excellent value.

Deputy Nutz
03-13-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't think Stewart is quite a top ten prospect, but he is talented. I like his ability to play through pain, I would take that type of character over someone who decides to miss games because of a nagging injury. Although if he is selected I don't expect much contribution from him in 2008. Which is fine, because even if the Packers took a top round corner, they would most likely see more bench than field.

twoseven
03-13-2008, 01:17 PM
If the toe is not going to be fixed by surgery I say no way. But if it is then you may have stolen at #30 what could be a bigtime back and you still have two picks in the second round. Harris and Woodson are our CBs all next year barring injury. Not drafting a CB in round one doesn't seem like the end of the world to me considering he's going to be a nickel at best until 2009.

Other than BPA CB, what do we have to select at #30 that we cannot get at #56, #60, #92? Stewart if healthy after surgery would be the power back with speed that we do NOT have, and that Grant and Bjack will never be. If surgery means the toe completely heals and the only knock is you have to wait for him to be ready, I say big deal. Doesn't waiting basically define what Harrell and BJack did for most of 07', they sat on the bench all year because they weren't yet ready to contribute fulltime? Harrell might as well have been recovering from surgery for what he was able to offer the first 3/4 of the year. As for throwing any old draft pick at a power back later on, I say we need to compliment Grant, not put another less talented guy behind him on the depth chart (Wynn).

BallHawk
03-13-2008, 02:05 PM
The fact that people want to draft a banged up RB in the 1st round when we have what essentially is a 1,000 yard RB combined with a 2nd round draft pick is absurd. We have needs much more pressing than a #2 RB.

Lurker64
03-13-2008, 02:21 PM
The fact that people want to draft a banged up RB in the 1st round when we have what essentially is a 1,000 yard RB combined with a 2nd round draft pick is absurd. We have needs much more pressing than a #2 RB.

Thompson has shown that he can fill needs with late round picks (we had three of Thompson's 6th round picks starting last year, and we got to the NFC championship). I wouldn't be at all upset of Thompson drafts somebody in the first round who has tremendous upside and the potential to be a star if that player has tremendous value, even if we have a lot of talented players at that position. As was pointed out in another thread, Thompson may draft for needs but he often does not draft for "needs" as diagnosed by fans and pundits. I would say actually that the #1 need on this team right now is, in fact, impact players and playmakers regardless of position.

I'm not an NFL scout, but the Packers employ several. If those guys come to the conclusion that Stewart is too good to pass up, and the coaches come to the conclusion that we can make it work with Grant, Stewart, and Jackson, then I'm not going to complain. My guess is that with Grant as the #1, Stewart as the power back, and Jackson as the 3rd down back, that would be a pretty good backfield.

cheesner
03-13-2008, 02:22 PM
From last year's draft, we know that TT is not necessarily put off by an injury.

We also know from last year that TT will draft a player at a position we are already deep at.

If he is the BPA and could make a significant impact on the team, by all means, do it. Even if that impact is 1 or 2 years down the road. I agree that there are far more pressing needs for the Packers, but then again, as fans, we don't know what is all going on. BJ could have put on 80 lbs this off-season. Ryan Grant may want $15M/season or planning on sitting. Who knows? The Packers sure wouldn't be putting that out there. Or going the other way, our deficiencies could not be as bad as we thought. Perhaps our young CBs are really looking good this offseason. Weren't we all worried about our TEs last year?

twoseven
03-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Stewart and Grant/Bjack are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT kinds of back.

How banged up did Stewart look in 07' and during his combine?

We have ZERO power running backs worth a spit. If Grant gets hurt or defenses key on him who then is our savior? BJack, Wynn? What other dire needs do we have that demand the #30 pick.. another backup at which position exactly?

twoseven
03-13-2008, 02:36 PM
My guess is that with Grant as the #1, Stewart as the power back, and Jackson as the 3rd down back, that would be a pretty good backfield.
Ding ding ding.. someone that knows the difference between the three backs, and how they should be used.

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 02:59 PM
We have ZERO power running backs worth a spit. If Grant gets hurt or defenses key on him who then is our savior? BJack, Wynn? What other dire needs do we have that demand the #30 pick.. another backup at which position exactly?

It doesn't really matter...with no veteran upgrade to the interior line, and with Favre's departure, the run game is going to have a tough time moving the ball in 2008. Expect a steady diet of 8 man fronts.

Partial
03-13-2008, 03:21 PM

It doesn't really matter...with no veteran upgrade to the interior line, and with Favre's departure, the run game is going to have a tough time moving the ball in 2008. Expect a steady diet of 8 man fronts.

Correct. That's why we need a playmaker at RB. Stewart would satisfy that.

The Leaper
03-13-2008, 04:17 PM

So what the hell is Grant?

twoseven
03-13-2008, 07:01 PM

Another playmaker, one with size.

I agree that without the interior line improving and Favre gone that the running game will probably struggle. I just don't think you look past a talent like Stewart if he falls in your lap because of what might be a manageable toe issue. Hearing that Dorsey, the DT from LSU, might fall due to a hairline stress fracture in his leg made me laugh as well. Most wounds heal, the talent that you get at the time of their recovery can pay huge dividends.

IMO, anyone that thinks that all we need is Grant and some random backs behind him is in for a helluva surpirse in 08'. He isn't an unknown anymore, defenses will be prepared for him, and minus Brett he's gonna get plenty of 8 in the box. I'm not saying Grant won't be able to have good games, but the odds are against him running wild all year long if he's our only quality back. These days any teams that try to get by without two cpable backs are taking their chances. Teams that don't have a reliable power back for short yardage (like us), and do nothing about it get exactly what they deserve.

Partial
03-13-2008, 09:38 PM

A slightly above average back.

I don't think Grant has anywhere near the YPC he had with with TJack under center.

MJZiggy
03-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Who gives a shit who hands him the ball? They turn, hold the ball out and he takes it. It's not like Brett blocked for him or anything.

Partial
03-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Who gives a shit who hands him the ball? They turn, hold the ball out and he takes it. It's not like Brett blocked for him or anything.

Are you serious?

C'mon Zig, you don't think that having a guy like Favre keeps safeties and linebackers deeper? The passing game opened up the running game. Note Grant's colossal failures when the passing game wasn't effective.

Favre was the 2nd best player in the league and you're trying to say that he had little effect on how the defense gameplanned?

Just like a great receiver can open up the running game, a great QB can even moreso.

Grant is very, very overrated around here.

MJZiggy
03-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Any quarterback who can throw the ball with any effectiveness can keep linebackers deep. If you can't throw the ball effectively, you don't last very long as a QB in the NFL. They now have to gameplan against Rodgers' scrambling ability, something they didn't do with Favre in his later years. I think McCarthy's ability to be unpredictable in calling the game will determine more. If he can keep them guessing, I think there lies the possibility that you're quite wrong.

BallHawk
03-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Grant is very, very overrated around here.

He put up about 1,000 yards rushing in half a season so I would imagine people are excited about him. Unless I see him falter early in the season it is safe to assume he's as good as people say he is. He runs well. I know he had Favre as a QB, but we haven't seen him without Favre handing off to him so you can't hold that against him. He did everything he was asked and more. That is what playmakers do.

Partial
03-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Any quarterback who can throw the ball with any effectiveness can keep linebackers deep. If you can't throw the ball effectively, you don't last very long as a QB in the NFL. They now have to gameplan against Rodgers' scrambling ability, something they didn't do with Favre in his later years. I think McCarthy's ability to be unpredictable in calling the game will determine more. If he can keep them guessing, I think there lies the possibility that you're quite wrong.

Rodgers is an OK scrambler, he isn't a world beater. They aren't going to gameplan for that at all. It's only going to happen on broken plays.

Yes, a good quarterback will keep a defense honest. How many QBs were close to Favre's level last year, or close to the game changing level?

I'd say 4-5.

Rodgers has a long way to go before he's in this category.

Partial
03-13-2008, 10:28 PM
I disagree. He did not run the ball well in the cold when the passing game wasn't keeping 6-7 guys in the box. In fact, he was terrible. I'd like to point out that BJack looked great on all the days that Grant looked awesome as well. I am not sold on either at this point. They both look like they belong in the league, but there are 1500+ people that belong in the league. I don't think either can be considered solid yet.

BallHawk
03-13-2008, 11:06 PM
He didn't perform well in the cold because McCarthy abandoned the running game. Notice MM stuck to the running game against the 'Hawks and look what Grant did.

I can understand if you don't think he's a playmaker, but if 1,000 yards doesn't qualify you as solid, what does?

Partial
03-14-2008, 12:01 AM
He didn't perform well in the cold because McCarthy abandoned the running game. Notice MM stuck to the running game against the 'Hawks and look what Grant did.

I can understand if you don't think he's a playmaker, but if 1,000 yards doesn't qualify you as solid, what does?

You forget that Favre threw for 2 touchdowns and had the playaction working all game long.

1000 yards isn't what it once was, but doing it in 10 games is impressive, I'll give you that.

I hope you're right and he turns into a premiere rusher, but I am not convinced that he is yet. He has shown he is good enough to win when he isn't carrying the load. Next step is to show he is. I know JStewart can do that. I don't know that Grant can.

The Leaper
03-14-2008, 08:10 AM
I know JStewart can do that. I don't know that Grant can.

Stewart hasn't even set foot in the NFL yet, but you KNOW he can carry an NFL team? That is a ridiculously stupid comment. Stewart was on a highly talented team for Oregon, so he hardly carried the load himself in college. Translating that to the NFL without any proof is nonsense.

That's not to say that Stewart will fail to be a great NFL RB...but no one KNOWS it at this point. Reggie Bush was supposed to be great. Ki-Jana Carter was supposed to be great. Plenty of RBs have dominated in college, only to struggle in the NFL.

If you weren't convinced that Grant is a very good RB last year in seeing his vision and patience that broke numerous long runs behind a mediocre OL that the rest of the Packer RBs failed miserably behind DESPITE the presence of Favre, you don't have a high level of football knowledge.

Zool
03-14-2008, 09:36 AM

Stewart actually showed that his team loses when he's "carrying the load". Check out the game that Dixon went out, and the 2 games following that. Those 3 teams finished the year a combined 20-18. Oregon had one loss going into the Arizona game and lost all 3 games with Dixon out.

You might want to start separating opinions from facts.

oregonpackfan
03-14-2008, 10:05 AM

Stewart actually showed that his team loses when he's "carrying the load". Check out the game that Dixon went out, and the 2 games following that. Those 3 teams finished the year a combined 20-18. Oregon had one loss going into the Arizona game and lost all 3 games with Dixon out.

You might want to start separating opinions from facts.

You are correct that the Ducks lost the last 3 games of the season. They did beat South Florida in the Sun Bowl.

To claim that that Oregon still lost despite Stewart "carrying the load" is a disservice to Stewart. Prior to losing Dennis Dixon, the Ducks lost several other crucial players to season-end injuries including receivers Brian Paysinger, Cameron Colvin, co-tailback Jeremiah Johnson, and their starting middle linebacker. When Dixon went down, Stewart was their primary threat on offense.

Those injuries devastated the Ducks, particularly on offense. To his credit, Stewart played through those games with a bad toe.

Zool
03-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Mainly I was calling Partial out on his claim about Stewart's ability to carry the load to win games. When Dixon (who was getting tons of Heisman talk at the time) went down, so did their national title hopes. Stewart might very well be a stud, but he didn't carry the team as was previously suggested.