PDA

View Full Version : Warren Sapp

packinpatland
03-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Think his hit on Clifton will delay his induction into the HOF?

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2008, 07:52 PM

No. It was borderline dirty, but it wasn't against the rules. He probably shouldn't have done it, but it's a rough game.

packinpatland
03-13-2008, 08:07 PM
It's well documented that I, next to never, agree with Dr.Z........but....
he says:

"Three years later, in 2002, he got into that thing with Packer tackle Chad Clifton. It was one of the meanest, filthiest plays I've ever seen on a field. Sapp took a 20-yard run at him, on a Buc interception, while his back was turned, and blindsided him with such ferocity that he left his feet, delivering the block. Clifton went to the hospital with a dislocated hip. There was no call. Gutless officials aren't exactly new to the game. The penalty for such plays is called unnecessary roughness. A play that is not necessary, get it? It's in the books. And they were far away from the action.

Sapp is a glib, witty person who will make a colorful TV announcer some day, but after that play I've never been able to think of him with any kind of respect."

MJZiggy
03-13-2008, 08:18 PM
I agree too, except that he broke Clifton's pelvic bone.

gbgary
03-13-2008, 08:36 PM

No. It was borderline dirty, but it wasn't against the rules. He probably shouldn't have done it, but it's a rough game.

nothing borderline about it. it was/is one of the biggest cheap-shots ever!! F that guy!!

Pacopete4
03-13-2008, 08:56 PM
the Sapp hit sucked.. but the guy is easily a HOF'er, cant take it away from him

MJZiggy
03-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Actually, yes they can if they want. He still has to get voted in. That's not guaranteed.

KYPack
03-13-2008, 09:05 PM
It is quite possible Sapp won't make first ballot. Cris Carter didn't make it this time because:
A He was a pretty serious loadie his first few years in the league and voters took that into consideration whne casting their votes. 1st time candidates are considered special and some feel Sapp need to wait.
B Art Monk made it and they weren't going to put two WR's into the hall.

A problem Sapp has is guys like Dr Z are down on him. Dr Z was the guy who kept Monk out for several years. Sf he has like minded voters, Sapp, too, will wait.

Many packer fans think Sapp is the Anti-Christ, but he will be in the hall. He was the best DT in football for 5-7 seasons and had a HOF career. I also wouldn't mind seeing Big 99 be skipped and get disappointed. That was one cheap freaking hit.

Freak Out
03-13-2008, 09:59 PM
To me the hall of fame should be a special place for sportsmen as well as great athletes.....but Sapp won't be the first cheap shot artist to make the hall or the last.

The Leaper
03-14-2008, 07:55 AM
I agree that it is quite possible Sapp won't be a first ballot HOF guy...he'll get in, but due to his brash personality and incidents like the cheap shot on Clifton, he might have to wait a year or two to get in.

RashanGary
03-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Jenkins layed out a QB in the same way. It's not dirty at all. It's football. Clifton just ended up injured and Sherman freaked out and Packer fans are really emotional and irrational so they freaked out too. The truth is, Clifton should have been ready.

The Leaper
03-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Jenkins layed out a QB in the same way.

Sapp LAUNCHED himself into Clifton. I remember the play with Jenkins. He did not launch himself into the opposing player.

There is a clear difference. Sapp uncorked on a 300 pound guy and drove him backward. Jenkins bowled over a QB. If Jenkins hit the QB the way Sapp hit Clifton, the QB would've snapped in two.

run pMc
03-14-2008, 08:21 AM
It was an unnecessarily vicious hit. Might play into some voter's minds.
He was a good player, and worthy of consideration into the HOF. I don't think he's a first-ballot guy, though.

MadtownPacker
03-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Jenkins layed out a QB in the same way. It's not dirty at all. It's football. Clifton just ended up injured and Sherman freaked out and Packer fans are really emotional and irrational so they freaked out too. The truth is, Clifton should have been ready.While youre right that Clifton should have been ready considering he was on the same field with a lowlife like sapp I hardly find it "irrational" to think he is a piece of shit.

If he had hit TT you would have your fruit of the looms in a bunch so save the "Packer fans are really emotional and irrational" bullshit because you are the same way.

packinpatland
03-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Jenkins layed out a QB in the same way. It's not dirty at all. It's football. Clifton just ended up injured and Sherman freaked out and Packer fans are really emotional and irrational so they freaked out too. The truth is, Clifton should have been ready.

That's putting in mildly.

This has been hashed and rehashed many times.......I honestly don't think the hit was the issue as much as the 'viciousness' of that hit.

Zool
03-14-2008, 09:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyrAghd9v_s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fZadtODREo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3xi50DT5vs

THIS is the biggest cheapshot I could find.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ7ZWkxIhOg

packinpatland
03-14-2008, 12:16 PM
That first one of the punter getting hit......wow.........I'm surprised he got up. :shock:

Partial
03-14-2008, 01:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyrAghd9v_s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fZadtODREo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3xi50DT5vs

THIS is the biggest cheapshot I could find.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ7ZWkxIhOg

The DeSean Jackson one was worse.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Packer fans outraged over sapp hit, justified?

Don't seem to recall the same level of outrage when Charles Martin body slammed McMahon.

Karma methinks.

The Leaper
03-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Don't seem to recall the same level of outrage when Charles Martin body slammed McMahon.

Considering there was no internet and sports radio was hardly as popular as it is today, it isn't surprising that you don't remember what public sentiment was. The world was different 20 years ago.

Both Martin and Sapp intentionally went out of their way to injure another player. Sure, Sapp can hide behind the legality of the hit...but that doesn't change his intentions with the hit. It takes a hell of a lot of force to break someone's pelvic bone...and Sapp could've easily blocked Clifton without that level of force. He chose not to.

In terms of outrage, I don't see much here...it is all water over the bridge at this point. The point is that Sapp's reckless attitude in a play like the Clifton hit is what could prevent Sapp from being a first ballot HOF player in the minds of the voters. I don't think anyone has claimed that the Clifton hit should keep Sapp out of the HOF.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-14-2008, 02:33 PM

Considering there was no internet and sports radio was hardly as popular as it is today, it isn't surprising that you don't remember what public sentiment was. The world was different 20 years ago.

Both Martin and Sapp intentionally went out of their way to injure another player. Sure, Sapp can hide behind the legality of the hit...but that doesn't change his intentions with the hit. It takes a hell of a lot of force to break someone's pelvic bone...and Sapp could've easily blocked Clifton without that level of force. He chose not to.

In terms of outrage, I don't see much here...it is all water over the bridge at this point. The point is that Sapp's reckless attitude in a play like the Clifton hit is what could prevent Sapp from being a first ballot HOF player in the minds of the voters. I don't think anyone has claimed that the Clifton hit should keep Sapp out of the HOF.

You are misunderstanding the "recall" part. Packer fans weren't as outraged. Lot of bear hate. lots of justifying the hit.

Martin, just like Sapp claimed he never meant to hurt him..just "rough him up."

"It was at least 20 seconds after the interception," said Jerry Markbreit, a retired NFL official who worked the game. "I don't think he had an awareness of how late it was, or that the play was over. McMahon was walking to the sideline, had relaxed, and he picked him up and smashed him to the ground."

Gregg had a ton of thugs on those teams and packer fans never said one thing about the kenny stills of the world. Stills was quoted before the game as saying they were going to pick up Mcmahon and dump him on his shoulder.

Martin was long a cheap shot artist. Not to mention being on roids.

And, GREgg defended him on that play. Gimme a break.

Let's not forget that martin put mcmahon out for the season as well. Many bear fans, etc. thought it prevented them from repeatning.

Packers didn't cut him.

In the end, i highly doubt that it will be more than a blip in the discussion.

What Sapp did was wrong, but it was and has been part of football.

gbgary
03-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Packer fans outraged over sapp hit, justified?

Karma methinks.

i'll be sure to show my outrage for the martin hit when his name comes up for the hof. : D

Iron Mike
03-15-2008, 01:37 PM
I'll also remember Sapp calling out his TB teammates when punked by GB once again......"Some of us need to go see the Wizard to get some courage" or his pre-game run through the opponents' warm up.

What a class act. :roll: