PDA

View Full Version : The Religious Right

MJZiggy
03-13-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't understand. Seems like an oxymoron to me. Could someone please explain?

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Great. Another thread degrading religion.

MJZiggy
03-13-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm not degrading religion. I simply don't understand a political group that uses religion but goes against what most religions stand for. It's not the religious part, it's the right part.

Harlan Huckleby
03-13-2008, 10:00 PM
cat fight!

Joemailman
03-13-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm not degrading religion. I simply don't understand a political group that uses religion but goes against what most religions stand for. It's not the religious part, it's the right part.

Not sure exactly what you are referring to, but there are many conservatives in this country who want to mix religion with politics. The result is often a corruption of religion. As a Catholic, I believe that the worst periods of Catholicism were those periods where the Church became completely enmeshed in matters of state, and in some parts of the world the Church actually was the state.

Harlan Huckleby
03-13-2008, 11:42 PM
I have heard in the last year that evangelical christians are fragmenting politically. Or to put it another way, significant numbers are embracing causes formally associated with liberals, like environmentalism, and humane treatment of immigrants.

Preacher Huckabee has also talked-the-talk when it comes to compassion for the little brown people.

Iron Mike
03-14-2008, 12:09 AM
Preacher Huckabee has also talked-the-talk when it comes to compassion for the little brown people.

????? The Oompa Loompas?

http://www.1halloween.net/images/cosoompa.jpg

Joemailman
03-14-2008, 07:10 AM
I have heard in the last year that evangelical christians are fragmenting politically. Or to put it another way, significant numbers are embracing causes formally associated with liberals, like environmentalism, and humane treatment of immigrants.

That is correct. To some extent, it is a generational divide. The younger generation has dismissed the Pat Robertson's of the world and are more concerned about Darfur than they are about gay marriage.

swede
03-14-2008, 07:38 AM
This thread has a high potential for amusement. The left side of the room explaining to us all how religion and conservative politics work.

And after a quick break for a commercial message Barbra Streisand will join us to explain how nuclear fission works and why it's bad for your complexion.

Zool
03-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Joemailman
03-14-2008, 10:16 AM
This thread has a high potential for amusement. The left side of the room explaining to us all how religion and conservative politics work.

And after a quick break for a commercial message Barbra Streisand will join us to explain how nuclear fission works and why it's bad for your complexion.

Sounds great! :P

sooner6600
03-15-2008, 02:05 PM
My Friends;

As a naturalized Oklahoman who lives in the buckle of the bible belt
I might have something to say about it.

Upon coming home last night I found not one but two religious tracts (advertizements) on my door.

One was from the Joe's Whitlesses and the other was from NW Baptist Church. As it is close to Easter they were cadging for souls.

- - - - - - - - - --

As for the folks who live in South East Oklahoma (little dixie) they are
in a connundrum. They will not vote for a black nor a woman.

My Methodist friend says they will sit on their hands cause they don't like to vote Republican either.

Moral to the story is not all religious folks are on the right.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -

On the other hand many of my evangellical friends are true to the spirit
and lead good honest lives.

As for me; I'm the baddest Bennedictine this side of the Tiber River.

go figure