PDA

View Full Version : Strahan undecided

GrnBay007
03-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Doesn't appear the media is badgering him for being undecided they way they did the last couple years with Brett.
Going out after a Superbowl year at age 36....why not??

Giants' Strahan still up in air about retirement
BY BOB GLAUBER | bob.glauber@newsday.com
March 13, 2008

Michael Strahan still hasn't decided whether he'll play for the Giants next season. But after seeing Brett Favre and Warren Sapp pack it in after long, successful careers, he does admit that retirement crosses his mind.

"I can't say I don't love to play and don't love to see the guys," Strahan said yesterday morning at a promotional appearance in Times Square. "But when I see guys like Favre and Sapp and [Chiefs guard] Will Shields, all these guys who are players from my era, say, 'Enough's enough' ... Sometimes, you wake up and your body is hurting and you're thinking, 'Man, maybe enough is enough.' You think about it."

Strahan, 36, said he won't make up his mind until after an upcoming vacation. Even then, he's not sure he'll have a final decision. "If I think about it now, forget [about playing]," he said. "I haven't had enough time to calm down and not think about it. I'm tired of even thinking about football. I want to make my decision on my time."

Strahan said the physical toll of 15 NFL seasons will be a deciding factor. It's gotten to the point where he wonders whether the pounding is worth it - especially after winning his first Super Bowl ring last month.

"My body is hurting," he said. "I can get it geared up enough to go out on Sunday. But the problem is I have to live a life the other days of the week. And now, when we're not even playing and you wake up and you're hurting ... you take 10 steps before you can stand up straight and walk right. That's not good at thirty-something years old. Those are things that you have to take into account and realize that is something that goes along with it.

"You think: 'Is this going to go away, or is this just how my life is going to continue and I'm going to make it worse by sticking around?' There is really nothing else for me to do and prove, so anything I do from this point out, it's to have fun and be around the guys, nothing more than that."

KYPack
03-14-2008, 01:13 AM
That would be a vicious HOF class, eh?

Rastak
03-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Doesn't appear the media is badgering him for being undecided they way they did the last couple years with Brett.

Two reasons

1) He's a DE, not a QB.
2) Last year it was generally assumed he was trying to twist money from the Giants. This year, maybe it does deserve some more attention.

The Leaper
03-14-2008, 09:10 AM
The only reason Strahan hasn't retired yet is because his wife took him to the cleaners in his divorce.

GrnBay007
03-14-2008, 11:15 AM
The only reason Strahan hasn't retired yet is because his wife took him to the cleaners in his divorce.

Yep. Forgot about that.