PDA

View Full Version : BRADY POPPINGA TO GET EXTENDED? LOOKS LIKE IT.

gbpackfan
03-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Well, it looks like Poppinga is going to be the strong side backer for awhile. Fine by me, I actually like the kid. He improved year 1 to year 2 and he brings a ton of energy to the D. Definition of "packer people." His challenger (and our depth) will be coming from the draft, not free agency.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers recently took the first step designed to lock up linebacker Brady Poppinga on a long-term contract......

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=728441

Tony Oday
03-14-2008, 11:05 PM
I like his intesity! he hits people hard and thats fun! Now he just needs to learn that a TE can catch too ;)

Hawk and Popp need to go to coverage school :)

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Hawk and Popp need to go to coverage school :)

Hawk? He was pretty darn good. Statistically, he came out the best in coverage of the LBs that played enough to qualify. I know he's not that good. He was average as a rookie, but was definitely above average in 2007.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Am not sure I like this. What has Popp shown to make almost three million a year? Sure he improved over last year, but he still wasn't that great. I was actually hoping we draft a linebacker in the draft to compete with him for the starting job.

mission
03-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Not the news I wanted to hear ...

I like this whole "packer people" thing and I loved that push he made on whoever to have AJ's (i think?) back on that one play but we can have packer people on special teams too ............

Bretsky
03-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Poppinga is alright; nothing to get excited about but there are worse starting linebackers as well. I'd be actually a bit surprised if he made a ton; IMO he's worth in the 2MIL per year range. But I suppose we need to find ways to eat cap space somehow.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Poppinga is alright; nothing to get excited about but there are worse starting linebackers as well. I'd be actually a bit surprised if he made a ton; IMO he's worth in the 2MIL per year range. But I suppose we need to find ways to eat cap space somehow.

Fine eat up cap, but do it on guys who deserve it. Tauscher, Collins, Bigby, and Grant all have one year deals. I would much rather eat cap on those guys because IMO I could care less if we lose Popp in free agency in a year if he doesn't make a giant leap this year.

Tony Oday
03-15-2008, 01:02 AM
I think Taucher will be gone next year...I dont agree with it but thats what I think...

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2008, 01:06 AM
Tauscher, Collins, Bigby, and Grant all have one year deals.

Is this true? I was looking at the future FAs, and thinking we're pretty good next year. Grant and Bigby are signed for at least 2 more years. Collins might be a FA or RFA.

mmmdk
03-15-2008, 02:35 AM
I think Taucher will be gone next year...I dont agree with it but thats what I think...

I sure hope not - what makes you think so?

twoseven
03-15-2008, 06:30 AM
I'd agree with you if you said Clifton will be gone ater next year, but Tausch is a less expensive and more productive tackle with a good 3-4 years left IMO.

RashanGary
03-15-2008, 08:44 AM
I think locking Tausch up to a good 4 year deal with 8 mil guaranteed or something like that would be completely fair. That guy is as good as they get at RT.

Fritz
03-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Man, if Poppinga went into free agency next year and TT didn're re-sign him people would be going ape shit (great expression) over TT's lack of activity. How come re-signing your own is somehow not as sexy as signing someone else's re-tread?

RashanGary
03-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Tausch will turn 31 next year. He's been so consistant, sturdy and durable. I see no reason he can't be a guy who holds up till 34. He'd be a perfect candidate for a nice extention to eat up some of our cap space.

RashanGary
03-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Until we find a starter, we have Poppinga. Once we find him, you can still tolerate paying a top backup a couple million per year to play 6 games per year due to injury and to play every game as a ST's demon.

Bretsky
03-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Man, if Poppinga went into free agency next year and TT didn're re-sign him people would be going ape shit (great expression) over TT's lack of activity. How come re-signing your own is somehow not as sexy as signing someone else's re-tread?

Poppinga is not that good; I'd have no problems if TT found an upgrade there.

3irty1
03-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Extending Pop doesn't mean they can't draft a linebacker to compete with him. He only played 52.whatever % of snaps. I think its a great time to platoon.

RashanGary
03-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Extending Pop doesn't mean they can't draft a linebacker to compete with him. He only played 52.whatever % of snaps. I think its a great time to platoon.

I agree and if they pay him 2.5 per year, it's not like he's eating up big cap space. The cap is over 120 million now. 2.5 is a drop in the bucket. If they found a better starter, Poppinga could still play 6 or 8 games per year due to injury and every game on ST's. It's not like he wouldn't be used and it's not like 2.5 is a lot of money in todays NFL.

Plus, you still have the 5th and 6th LB roster spots to use on developmental guys so it's not like he's making the roster stagnant either.

KYPack
03-15-2008, 10:35 AM
His fills against the run are absolutely first rate.

He struggles in play action and his coverage (while improved) ain't there yet. You could probably criticise every 3rd LB on most teams in the same manner.

If he keeps making strides in cover, he just might become a first rate plugger. I think he is worth keeping, at this point anyhow.

Tony Oday
03-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Im not saying I dont want Tauch but look at the track record here...if he signs for a moderate to low contract look for him to be in green and gold if not look for another 4th-7th round pick there...Again I want him here I thin khe has earned the right to play here for his whole career.

RashanGary
03-15-2008, 12:06 PM
I'd say Tauch deserves 4 years, 20 mil with 8 guaranteed. He's a damn good player and has shown zero signs of drop off.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-15-2008, 12:35 PM
I'd say Tauch deserves 4 years, 20 mil with 8 guaranteed. He's a damn good player and has shown zero signs of drop off.

I 100% agree with this. He's not that old for a tackle, he is still healthy, and he is still at the top of his game. When Clifton is a free agent in two years we should let him go because by then he will be 33 and he has bad knees. Not only that but it would be very hard to replace two starting all pro tackles in consecutive years.

Since TT likes to extend players contracts that only have a year left, I think he should extend Tauscher and Grant very soon. I would be nice to do Tauscher’s deal now and do Grants deal hopefully at least by mid-season next year if not earlier.

RashanGary
03-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Yeah, Poppinga and Tausch would be good to redo right now.

Grant, Bigby, Jennings, Spitz and Jolly are guys we could redo after this season if they show they are big time players for another year. Rodgers could even be considered if he has a big year.

Harlan Huckleby
03-15-2008, 10:56 PM

you say that, but they've tried scores of linebackers over the recent years who were worse than Poppinga. What are the chances of getting a better player? I really don't see Poppinga as any kind of a weak link.

Lurker64
03-15-2008, 11:11 PM

Just curious, are there any players or any positions where you would have a problem if TT found an upgrade there? Personally, my answer to that question is "no."

Tarlam!
03-16-2008, 03:30 AM
I was on Poppinga's bandwagon even when we still posted on that place that won't be mentioned here.

I don't see him as a liability at all. He is a real locker room dynamo and a real Packer person. Can't underestimate that and TT doesn't.

I also agree with you guys calling for a Tauscher contract extension. Tuasch fits the Packer person bill in my book. So does Cliffy, but the knees are of concern. Still, if Cliffy can be had as a backup for non crazy money, I'd löove for him to get paid and sit back and help coach a younger guy....

I know, I am a dreamer.

twoseven
03-16-2008, 06:42 AM

you say that, but they've tried scores of linebackers over the recent years who were worse than Poppinga. What are the chances of getting a better player? I really don't see Poppinga as any kind of a weak link.
Chillar IMO, or a high round pick in the draft could both be better than Pop. We may get neither, and signing Pop to an new deal may be the right move at that point.

When's the last time that GB had a mike/will as solid as Nick and AJ? The days of GB settling for mediocre play at LB are over for awhile. It's pretty easy to notice the plays Pop doesn't make next to two guys in Hawk and Barnett that seem to make their plays a majority of the time. Pop is not on their level, can't say he'll ever be. Looking for a SS that is on their level is perfectly acceptable.

Personally I would like to see Chillar and the draft play out before Poppinga gets any new deal.

Merlin
03-16-2008, 11:54 AM
RE: Extending Brady Poppinga.
To: Anyone who thinks Poppinga isn't worth 3 M a season.

I like who we have here.

Love,
Ted

twoseven
03-17-2008, 04:18 AM
Just realized Poppinga will turn 29 at the start of the season, forgot about his delay into NFL, rookie at 25 (due to his mormon missionary work?).

The Leaper
03-17-2008, 09:19 AM
I think talking to Pop is a good idea...I doubt you are going to see the Packers sign him long term anytime soon, unless Pop agrees to a Packer friendly deal. However, opening up the lines of communication is smart.

The only reason this story gets prime billing is because nothing else noteworthy is going on. The writers have to earn their keep somehow.

Guiness
03-17-2008, 09:41 AM
I like that we extended Popp for medium money.

He's not a liability for the most part, and he's done one thing that I think is important - he's improved from year to year. He reminds me of Kampman, who was mediocre for his first couple of years, but kept improving. I remember a lot of discussion that he should be replaced/upgraded...

I'm not saying that Popp will turn out like him, but as long as he keeps improving, I think he's fine there, and there are other things that can be focussed on.

The Leaper
03-17-2008, 09:47 AM

I wouldn't say zero signs...his durability isn't what it used to be. When he's 100% he is a great RT. The issue is that he rarely is 100% anymore...and that will only get worse in the years ahead. While he is still capable at 85 or 90%, the question is how often he can be at 85 or 90% over the next 3-4 years.

I don't like the $8M guaranteed if it is a bonus. If his legs go out after 2 years, you are still on the hook for half that against the cap.

Merlin
03-17-2008, 11:52 AM

I like Tauscher as much as the next person but his is at the end of his career and he is showing signs of slowing down. He is not the player he once was.

I have said this many times, thank God you have nothing to do with the Green Bay Packers organization.