PDA

View Full Version : Poor lil bears!

GrnBay007
03-15-2008, 02:18 AM
Bears falling further behind NFC North foes
by Adam Schein

Someone needs to remind the Bears that the goal in the off-season is to improve the ball club. I'm having a hard time comprehending the thought process in Chicago.

Let's get the good out of the way first.

I love the fact that Lance Briggs is back in Chicago. He's a Pro Bowl caliber linebacker, a fantastic tackler and playmaker built for Lovie Smith's system. Briggs is the perfect wingman for Brian Urlacher.

And as President, Founder, CEO, and often sole member of the Rex Grossman fan club, I was happy to see the much maligned quarterback re-sign in the Windy City for another year. The free-agent market was very thin at quarterback. Grossman still has talent and upside. He does have a conference championship on his resume. He knows Ron Turner's offense and couldn't leave town on the low note that was 2007. Grossman's return is good for the team and the player.

But here we are two weeks into the off-season, and I'm scratching my head on Chicago's decision making. The team is getting worse, specifically at the receiver position. Key areas of need haven't been addressed, like safety, offensive line, and, yes, Cedric Benson at running back. Potentially perfect fits in free agency weren't pursued. These questions and areas of weakness loom large as the teams in the division get stronger.

And I'm writing this while defending Grossman!

Everyone likes to blame Grossman for everything in Chicago. But you cannot ignore the enormous holes on this team.

I understand Bernard Berrian got gobs of guaranteed money to join the rival Vikings. He had 16 million guaranteed reasons to defect. But Berrian told us last week that he would've re-upped with the Bears if the guaranteed money would've been remotely close. Even in a season where Berrian admits he dropped more passes than he should've, the wideout hauled in 71 passes and amassed just under 1,000 receiving yards. And he has an excellent rapport with Grossman, especially on the deep ball.

And it is gut-wrenching for Bears fans to think of Berrian catching the all the passes Troy Williamson dropped through the years.

And it is even worse to think of Brandon Lloyd replacing him.

Brandon Lloyd? You have to be kidding me!

He was a total bust in Washington after Joe Gibbs and Vinny Cerrato foolishly gave the Niners third- and fourth-round picks as well as millions of Dan Snyder's cash to Lloyd.

How did Lloyd respond? He caught two total passes last year! And this performance followed an underwhelming 23 catches in 2006. It was highway robbery. I don't care that he played for Turner in college. This is a terrible move.

I know Marty Booker has always been a favorite of general manager Jerry Angelo. But does Booker represent an upgrade over Muhsin Muhammad? I don't think so. It's a wash, at best.

And where's the push for a defensive tackle to replace the underachieving Darwin Walker?

Can Chicago possibly back on Mike Brown and Adam Archuleta at safety? Shouldn't Eugene Wilson be on the radar?

And let's be honest here — the Bears need to be in the running back business.

Michael Turner would've looked great in a Chicago uniform, but he signed with the Falcons.

Cedric Benson has been a total bust, with opposing players like Shaun Philips and Luis Castillo openly questioning his toughness. Benson's disappointing 2007 came to a bitter and dramatic end when he fractured his ankle and was placed on injured reserve in late November. You can't bank on him for anything in 2008.

Chicago never should've traded Thomas Jones. Thus, Angelo must consider a carry-the-mail back in the first round of the draft. Jonathan Stewart from Oregon or Illinois' own Rashard Mendenhall, two physical and speedy backs that should be big-time players, have to be on the radar. Mendenhall would be perfect.

Investigating Shaun Alexander is also a worthy option.

But while thinking running back, Chicago also needs to also replenish its offensive line and could be in the tackle business in the first round.

This is what happens when you have major problems on offense.

Could Grossman actually represent stability?

Scary.

It's seems like the 2006 Super Bowl run was ages ago. Minnesota is vastly improved with Berrian and Madieu Williams. Green Bay, even sans Favre, is rock solid. And hey, let's give Matt Millen some credit for picking up cornerbacks Leigh Bodden and Brian Kelly.

Unless the Bears suddenly join the off-season party, 2008 already has the makings of another frustrating season.

Packnut
03-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Even now in the off-season, the Chicago media is ripping the Bears every couple of days. It's a beautiful thing................... :lol:

RashanGary
03-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Other than letting Thomas Jones go and not re-upping Barrian a year early at a cheaper rate, I think the Bears are doing it the right way.

If I had to guess (just based off the way the NFC North teams approach building a team), I'd guess Chicago and Greenbay are going to be the two teams competing for the North for the next 5-10 years.

I think the Vikes are going to fall off. They're spending too idioticly. I think it will catch up to them sooner than later.

Fritz
03-15-2008, 08:54 AM
If he thinks the Bears offseason is bad, how 'bout them Lions?

The good news: Millen seems to have given over personnel decisions to Rod Marinelli.

The bad news: Rod Marinelli is bringing back as many former Tampa Bay Bucs as he can get his hands on. He's signed six - count 'em, six - former Bucs to the Lions' squad. Not the Bucs who made it to the playoffs this year - the ones who were around when Marinelli was coaching the D-line down there.

It's a recipe for disaster when a GM or coach brings in players from back in the glory days of his old organization to try to rebuild the franchise.

Oh, and then he cut Kevin Jones and traded Shaun Rogers. Jones was admittedly injury-prone, but he worked his azz off to come back last year from the lisfranc injury. And - poof - he's gone.

As are Rogers, Damien Woody, Boss Bailey, and Teddy Lehman. Which would be fine, but their replacements are former Bucs who the Bucs didn't care to re-sign...

I think the NFC North is the worst division in football.

Tony Oday
03-15-2008, 12:05 PM
And the Vikings have Tavaris "Jump Pass" Jackson....Looks like we repeat if we can win 6 games ;)

The Leaper
03-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Other than letting Thomas Jones go and not re-upping Barrian a year early at a cheaper rate, I think the Bears are doing it the right way.

What?

The Bears were a couple good offensive players away from winning the Super Bowl 2 years ago. Now, they don't have one good offensive player on the roster.

The Bears have wasted the peak years of a great defense...and are well on their way to wasting the prime years of an elite return man like Hester.

I hardly call that "the right way".

plattevillepackerfan
03-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Ahhhh, Bear fans in Wisconsin, Bear fans everywhere, Bear fans in da flatlands youd better beware. Cuz were gonna gettin out our shotguns, were gonna hunt dem down, gonna blow away dem varmits when dey come to Packertown!

MadtownPacker
03-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Ahhhh, Bear fans in Wisconsin, Bear fans everywhere, Bear fans in da flatlands youd better beware. Cuz were gonna gettin out our shotguns, were gonna hunt dem down, gonna blow away dem varmits when dey come to Packertown!That should be a song. Put on a slumping country background.

Welcome to the forum.

plattevillepackerfan
03-17-2008, 11:48 AM
It is a song, its called Bear fans in Wisconsin, by Bananas at Large. It's a Great song.

mngolf19
03-17-2008, 01:13 PM

If I had to guess (just based off the way the NFC North teams approach building a team), I'd guess Chicago and Greenbay are going to be the two teams competing for the North for the next 5-10 years.

I think the Vikes are going to fall off. They're spending too idioticly. I think it will catch up to them sooner than later.

The Vikes spending is only idiotic if it causes them the inability to afford key players in future years. They have been signing all of their key players and are top 5 under the cap every year. And they are expecting to be again next year. They are actually looking at some of those key players retiring in a year or 2 and are trying to make the best run they can while they can. And at the same time not keeping someone who could be replaced by a draft pick. I'm comfortable with their balance. And yes, some of their FA's have not panned out but that was small potatoes cap wise.

Zool
03-17-2008, 01:39 PM
The Vikes just had some bad drafts for a few consecutive years. I'm not sold on T-jax being viable so I'm not worried about them this year or next. If they could get a QB and hold onto Peterson and Taylor. And if the Berrian signing pans out, and Rice continues to improve, the will be damned tough in 2-3 years.

Too bad they play in that shit house dome. Every time I go I'm reminded how much I hate it.

Scott Campbell
03-17-2008, 02:13 PM
The Vikes just had some bad drafts for a few consecutive years. I'm not sold on T-jax being viable so I'm not worried about them this year or next. If they could get a QB and hold onto Peterson and Taylor. And if the Berrian signing pans out, and Rice continues to improve, the will be damned tough in 2-3 years.

Too bad they play in that shit house dome. Every time I go I'm reminded how much I hate it.

Hey, those tickets are worth every penny - as long as you're paying 3 bucks a piece.