PDA

View Full Version : Will it ever get spent

RashanGary
03-16-2008, 05:07 PM
The Packers have 35 million in cap space and will likely be pushing large amounts forward with front loaded deals and cap loop holes. Next year there should be even more open space. Are we just going to scrape by, never spending and trying to compete with teams spending much more?

I don't think that will happen. I think after this season you are going to see the Packers more active in giving extentions than we have in a decade. The Packers might spend more money next off season than any team in the league. The major difference is that all of our guys will be at one year early discounts and they will not be over the top, franchise crippling moves.

UFA next year
Poppinga
Tauscher
Montgomery
(I see Tausch and Poppinga getting locked up right now with fair, front loaded deals)

Restricted next year
Bigby
Bush
J. Hunter

Exclusive next year
Grant

UFA 2009
Jennings
Spitz
Rodgers
Peprah
Blackmon
N. Collins
J. Coston
D. Colledge
Kampman
T. Moll
Pickett
Jolly

Right now I think we can lock up Poppinga and Tauscher before they hit UFA where both will get overpaid. I'd rather keep them now for less.

RashanGary
03-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Bigby - 3.5 mil per
Grant - 5 mil per
Jennings - 6.5 mil per
Spitz - 4 mil per
Rodgers - 6 mil per
Kampman - 7.5 mil per
Pickett - 4 mil per
Jolly - 5 mil per

Lets assume these guys all take steps and earn dollar amounts something like this.

This is 41 mil per year. Right now we're only paying these guys about 13 mil so that is a cap change of 28 million. That eats up a lot of the $$ we've been pushing forward the last couple years. For those who don't think Thompson will ever spend it, just wait. This team is young and getting paid peanuts. A lot of our new core players are going to need extentions sooner than later.

Bretsky
03-16-2008, 05:09 PM
I think we will get used to having a ton of cap space available for the future and we'll get used to frontloaded contracts. We were in great shape to sign our own last year; we're in great shape to sign our own next year. And the year after...etc.

RashanGary
03-16-2008, 05:14 PM
I think we're going to go on a major spending spree next year, Bretsky. I could see another one happening the following year. We're in very good shape now and should be in decent shape for a long while, but as our quality players enter their 2nd contracts we're going to be paying them much more than the rookie peanuts they are getting now.

RashanGary
03-16-2008, 05:16 PM
I think we will get used to having a ton of cap space available for the future and we'll get used to frontloaded contracts. We were in great shape to sign our own last year; we're in great shape to sign our own next year. And the year after...etc.

I'll betchya another two beers that Ted Thompson is a top 5 spender next off-season/season. It won't be UFA's, but it will be guys a year early and they will be our best young players that get the big time money they deserve.

red
03-16-2008, 05:29 PM
whats with the constant double post JH? every time you post its a DP

is it just to boost your post count? there is an edit button if you forget to add something, or to answer yourself

when i read this thread there were 5 posts, and 4 were yours

i'm with b, we're never going to sign anyone else's FA, and continue to have a ton of free cap space that we'll use to front load our own guys

digitaldean
03-16-2008, 06:48 PM
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the Packers are saving their nickels and dimes in case of the players /owners don't agree to keep the CBA going.

If the owners (led by Jerry Jones and others) opt out, 2010 will be an UNCAPPED year.

Once the situation gets uncapped, we are going to be like MLB. Skins/Cowboys/Giants will be the Red Sox and Yankees while other teams like the Saints could be like the Royals.

The Leaper
03-17-2008, 08:55 AM
This is 41 mil per year. Right now we're only paying these guys about 13 mil so that is a cap change of 28 million. That eats up a lot of the $$ we've been pushing forward the last couple years.

You do not account for several key players who will not make as much money going forward and will provide cap relief.

KGB (current $5M)
Clifton (current $4M)
Tauscher (current $3M)

That $12M probably becomes no more than $4M two years from now...as KGB and Clifton are likely to be gone (could remain at vet minimum I suppose, but unlikely IMO) and Tauscher will probably have a front loaded new deal that isn't worth much 3 years from now.

You also have to remember that the cap probably goes up at least another $12M in the next 2 years...it has gone up $7M a year the last 2 years.

So, that is an additional $20M to counter your $28M...and Jolly ain't getting $5M a year from Thompson. Even with a modest increase in his level of play, the guy isn't worth more than $2M a year. So there is another $3M off your amount.

So, signing all those guys at your levels (other than Jolly, who I reduce to $2M) and watching KGB and Clifton ride into the sunset costs us a total of $5M.

Bretsky
03-17-2008, 07:18 PM
I think we're going to go on a major spending spree next year, Bretsky. I could see another one happening the following year. We're in very good shape now and should be in decent shape for a long while, but as our quality players enter their 2nd contracts we're going to be paying them much more than the rookie peanuts they are getting now.

If a major signing spree means signing your own I agree. Heck, where else are we going to spend it ? By the Way, IMO you overpiad for Bigby, Spitz, and Jolly on your list and you did not take into account how much the cap has been going up each year.