PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams ace to stay in Green Bay

Carolina_Packer
03-17-2008, 09:46 AM
From Yahoo Sports: Monday, Mar 17, 2008 8:55 am EDT

Special team ace White will stay in Green Bay

Tracy White, the Green Bay Packers' most productive player on special teams over the last two seasons, will be back in 2008.

White agreed with the Packers on a two-year, $1.8 million contract that contained a $250,000 signing bonus. White said Sunday that the Broncos offered him a signing bonus in the $500,000 range early in free agency but that fell through when they signed Seattle linebacker Niko Koutouvides.

"I love it in Green Bay," said White, who visited Denver and Pittsburgh during the first week of the unrestricted free-agent signing period before deciding to re-sign with the Packers. "Basically, I was talking to Green Bay the whole time."

This is certainly good news for the Packers. These kind of unsung heroes make a difference to the team.

The Leaper
03-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Great signing. White is a leader on special teams, and worth the cash.

MadtownPacker
03-17-2008, 11:37 AM
From Yahoo Sports: Monday, Mar 17, 2008 8:55 am EDT

Special team ace White will stay in Green Bay

White agreed with the Packers on a two-year, $1.8 million contract that contained a $250,000 signing bonus. White said Sunday that the Broncos offered him a signing bonus in the $500,000 range early in free agency but that fell through when they signed Seattle linebacker Niko Koutouvides.I dont like that he was gonna slip away for 250Gs. TT needs to jump on things sometimes. It is OK to play his hand but in this case I think he made a bad call not getting it done and showing some love to a team player.

The Leaper
03-17-2008, 12:04 PM
I dont like that he was gonna slip away for 250Gs. TT needs to jump on things sometimes.

It certainly wasn't a sure thing Mad, so I don't know how critical you can be.

It sounds like he got a competitive offer...but not a slam dunk one...then circumstances took that offer off the table. He apparently wasn't getting much other interest either that could challenge GB's offer...which is why he signed now. The fact he was always talking to Green Bay probably means he was giving us a chance to match regardless.

$250k might seem like nothing...but if everyone on your roster gets an extra $250k, that's $13M of nothing eating up over 10% of your cap.

Green Bud Packer
03-17-2008, 03:26 PM
I read the Steelers had a better offer on the table until Green Bay improved their offer.
Brendon Ayanbadejo left the Bears for Baltimore and White thinks he can take his spot in the Pro Bowl.
If he keeps forcing turnovers he just might.

motife
03-17-2008, 04:55 PM
might have already been reported, but PFW say Packers will not bring long snapper Rob Davis back.

He's either going to sign with another team, or work in the Packer's front office.

MJZiggy
03-17-2008, 07:59 PM
PFW's a little behind on this one (not the first time). Davis transitioned to (I believe) the Professional Development office just after Favre retired.