PDA

View Full Version : Paolantonio defends Favre remarks

packinpatland
03-17-2008, 10:28 AM
http://fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/43532

Paolantonio defends Favre remarks
Posted: Monday March 17, 2008 06:51AM ET
ESPN reporter Sal Paolantonio has received a record number of e-mails in response to his controversial column about retired quarterback Brett Favre, with the majority coming from angry Packers fans. In response to a column by Press-Gazette sports editor Mike Vandermause that appeared online and in print today, Paolantonio sent this letter to the editor via e-mail: "Thank you for Mike Vandermause's smackdown of my espn.com column on Brett Favre. But I take issue with one major point: I was not trying to criticize Brett Favre, only offer some healthy perspective, provide an alternative take. Favre, as I pointed out, is a bonafide first ballot Hall of Famer. But I just wanted to hit the pause button on the over-the-top deification of No. 4. In my view, he is not even the greatest Packers quarterback of all time. That would be Bart Starr. Bart Starr has always been treated like Ringo Starr -- underappreciated and, these days, overlooked. I was trying to provide some historical context that my brethren in the media often ignores. By the way, I do use a hairblower, but I never bring it to the press box with me."

Ringo Starr as a comparision to how Bart Starr was treated..........???
Yea.........'Peaches 'n Cream' was a brilliant, Beatles-caliber song.
Aside from their names being spelled the same......please...... :roll:
Paolantonio appears to be a bit of a jerk.......JMO :wink:

Fosco33
03-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Media = Controversy = Additional Article Interest = Additional Company 'Interest' = Additional Revenue

I hate to admit it - but I was glancing past the 20th 'Favre Special' and, of course, clicked and disagreed with Sal's take.

I always look back at '97-98, '03-04 and maybe even last year as the clear 'missed opportunities' for more championships.

But that's football (and life).

Screw Sal and his sensationalistic viewpoints. True fans would understand the motive and do ourselves a favor - and not reply/defend. As Brett's already done that for himself on the field!

Cheesehead Craig
03-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Sal just does controversial topics (like his overrated, underrated book) as a way to pretend he's a sports writer still. Just makes inflamatory comments and uses the hits that comes from that to show he's "popular". Just like shock jocks on the radio.

MadtownPacker
03-17-2008, 11:42 AM
As mentioned, this flab bucket has only one agenda and that is to keep himself in public circulation. I didnt read much of the article in question to begin with.

Chester Marcol
03-17-2008, 12:14 PM
I've been a Packer fan for a lot longer than Favre has been QB. It's so easy to lose site of those glaring stats when a player gets the Wisconsin's Favorite Son designation. It's pretty hard to argue the stats since our last Super Bowl appearance.

Sal's timing and delivery were pretty crappy. That completely comes off as a scene stealer move and of course the flaming that occured shortly after. As much as I know we've been pretty fortunate to enjoy more winning seasons than most any other team, I know I've been disapointed more times than not over the last 10 years of playoffs when I've felt we had a team that could at least compete for the Super Bowl title only to have it handed away. Sal for some reason thought that was the best time to put those stats out there. He was wrong, at least on his timing. The stats are what they are.

I'm glad I got a chance to see the best regular season QB to play the game. But I'm excited for the next chapter and find out if we have that QB who has the hunger to win the big one.

Packers4Ever
03-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Sal what's-his-name? I happened to catch this column when it was pretty
fresh on the site - - what a class A JERK !! He's not fit to tie Brett's shoelaces.

I heard he can't reach up to his computer, someone brought him a little
stepstool for help.
:evil: Still angry :twisted: