PDA

View Full Version : ESPN analyzes Packers draft needs 03/17/08

motife
03-17-2008, 04:57 PM
As the NFL draft approaches, "SportsCenter" is putting every NFL team with a first-round pick "On the Clock." Scouts Inc. will break down each team and look at what questions still need answering. Today it's the Packers, who own the 30th overall pick in the first round.

The Green Bay Packers are facing one of the most difficult transitions in recent NFL history after the retirement of future Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre. The Packers are a young, talented team with a nucleus that could be a force for years to come, but losing a player with Favre's ability, experience and leadership is tough, especially when he is the quarterback and face of the franchise. Green Bay would have been one of the Super Bowl favorites in the NFC with Favre under center, but his departure might be too much to overcome. With the No. 1 offense in the NFC last season and a salty defense, the Packers should be poised to make another run at the postseason, but the challenge for third-year coach Mike McCarthy will be getting his franchise to leave the past behind and move forward with a positive outlook.

Key Additions
The Packers have not added much since losing in the NFC Championship Game, but re-signing DT Colin Cole and RB Vernand Morency has given them needed depth at those positions. General manager Ted Thompson and the Packers' front office haven't extended themselves during what has been a very active offseason across the league, but they have a well-established roster and many of their needs will likely be filled in the 2008 draft.

Mock Draft: Packers
The Pick (No. 30 overall):
S Kenny Phillips, Miami

Todd McShay: The Packers would rather draft a cornerback, but they would settle for the top safety prospect in this year's weak crop. Phillips has the natural athleticism and can be a powerful hitter for his size. However, he needs good coaching to change his inconsistent ways.

Key Losses
The obvious void at quarterback will be analyzed all season. There is the loss of Favre's production on the field, but you also have to take into account the impact his experience and leadership had on a young roster. On defense, Green Bay lost a productive defensive tackle in Corey Williams, who was among the top DTs in the league with 14 sacks over the last two seasons and extremely active in defensive coordinator Bob Sanders' scheme. The Packers will also miss the services of veteran tight end Bubba Franks, who had been playing in a diminished role in recent seasons but was still an effective red zone target and a good blocker at the point of attack.

Remaining Questions
The biggest is obviously how Aaron Rodgers will fare as Favre's replacement, and there is also the issue of who will be Rodgers' backup. Thompson must address two other critical positions, as CBs Charles Woodson and Al Harris are going into their 11th seasons while OTs Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher are also getting on in years. A viable blocking tight end will also need to be acquired between now and August to shore up the ground game. Green Bay is in better shape than most teams as the NFL draft approaches but clearly has issues to deal with.

Spaulding
03-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Todd McShay: The Packers would rather draft a cornerback, but they would settle for the top safety prospect in this year's weak crop. Phillips has the natural athleticism and can be a powerful hitter for his size. However, he needs good coaching to change his inconsistent ways.

Not that we couldn't use secondary help and possibly replacing inconsistent Collins or pushing Bigby to improve in coverage to stay on the field BUT that last little suggestion on his need for good coaching has me thinking please no. Not with Crapenheimer back there to screw things up.

Collins has pretty much flatlined with good old Kurt back there. Can't imagine a safety who is inconsistent is going to thrive with us.

Hoping for a polished cornerback (Aqib Talib) or an elite DE to slip way down (Merling or Harvey).

Happy St. Patty's Day eveyone![/img]

ND72
03-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Hoping for a polished cornerback (Aqib Talib) or an elite DE to slip way down (Merling or Harvey).

The Merling part will come true. Merling has had a bunch of physical problems this offseason and might need surgery before the draft on multiple areas (back, toe, & knee). Kiper & McShay both said he's still probably a 1st day pick, but is a for sure 3rd round pick right now because he hasn't been able to perform.

packrulz
03-18-2008, 06:13 AM

The Merling part will come true. Merling has had a bunch of physical problems this offseason and might need surgery before the draft on multiple areas (back, toe, & knee). Kiper & McShay both said he's still probably a 1st day pick, but is a for sure 3rd round pick right now because he hasn't been able to perform.

I'd be fine with Phillips or Merling, this draft will be for depth anyway so they wouldn't have to contribute right away.

BallHawk
03-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Typical ESPN bland article. Not much information, lot of waffling.

Partial
03-18-2008, 11:13 AM
I can't determine if A-Rod looks like a surfer dude or if he looks like jesus. Perhaps Jesus was a surfer?

BallHawk
03-18-2008, 11:14 AM
I can't determine if A-Rod looks like a surfer dude or if he looks like jesus. Perhaps Jesus was a surfer?

I always thought of him as a fisherman- Jesus, that is.

MadtownPacker
03-18-2008, 01:02 PM
We dont need these ESPN clowns telling us what a team they watch maybe 2 to 3 times a years needs. We know Thompson better get his ass in gear and find not one but two CBs that can play this physical, WR abusing scheme. If he gets say three fast, about 5'11-6'1, around 190lbs rookies I KNOW that he will hit on at least one. Probably end up being the late rounder too!

I wouldn't complain at all if TT spent all the picks on CB and OL.

LL2
03-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Every mock has the Pack picking CB or S, and because of that I'm predicting TT will do the opposite of what the mock drafts predict. TT tends to run counter to what everybody thinks.

MadtownPacker
03-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Every mock has the Pack picking CB or S, and because of that I'm predicting TT will do the opposite of what the mock drafts predict. TT tends to run counter to what everybody thinks.He is taking a TE in the first round. No better way to help ARod be successful than getting him a safety blanket..

Zool
03-18-2008, 01:15 PM

Fishing men from the devils hand?

BallHawk
03-18-2008, 02:43 PM

Fishing men from the devils hand?

If that's how you want to put it, sure.

MadScientist
03-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Sure he was. He didn't walk on water, he was just hangin' 10.

I'm with LL2 on the draft prediction. So I'll predict a WR that TT will say is the BPA and the only one left with a 1st round grade, despite at least one TE, CB and OL on the board that some of us are really excited about.

Green Bud Packer
03-18-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm with LL2 on the draft prediction. So I'll predict a WR that TT will say is the BPA and the only one left with a 1st round grade, despite at least one TE, CB and OL on the board that some of us are really excited about.

And actually know very little about.

I'd bet Thomps is drafting O.L./D.L.

DonHutson
03-18-2008, 05:07 PM
ESPN is just packaging old info and calling it news.

Phillips is overrated because he's the only S out there.

I'm assuming none of the players I like will be there (Rodgers-Cromartie, Branden Albert, or Felix Jones) so I'd be all for trading down into the early 2nd. That might require Brian Brohm to still be on the board to give some teams incentive to move up.

I'd like to see a CB, LB, and OL somewhere in the first 3 rounds. You could accomplish that while still taking just about anything with the first pick.

My sleeper prediction would be Pat Sims (DT) Auburn. He just seems like a Ted pick: big, mean, athletic, tough, he played with a broken hand last year, and everyone would say we don't need him.

Joemailman
03-18-2008, 06:31 PM
I see NFL Draft Countdown has the Packers picking a FB with one of the 2nd round picks. I'm sure that's exactly what Ted has in mind. Does anyone pick a FB on the 2nd round? That would be like picking a punter on the 3rd round.

Partial
03-18-2008, 07:22 PM
I see NFL Draft Countdown has the Packers picking a FB with one of the 2nd round picks. I'm sure that's exactly what Ted has in mind. Does anyone pick a FB on the 2nd round? That would be like picking a punter on the 3rd round.

I saw that too and gave a big WTF to Scott Wright. No way in hell does that happen. Korey Hall is fine at the position. Even if we didn't have anybody, no way is TT spending a 2nd on FB.

If TT is unsure about Collins, Rouse or Bigby, I could see him adding a first day safety. I have a hunch Collins is gone after this season. Someone will overpay for him to be a starter.

Lurker64
03-18-2008, 07:31 PM

William Henderson was drafted with the 66th pick, which isn't far below our last 2nd round pick. It's not that ridiculous.

I believe the player NFLDraftCountdown has us taking is a tweener FB/RB. A curious pick, but he could fill the role of a power back in this offense. Mostly though, I think that Wright doesn't know this team as well as he could.

Edit: Whoops, wrong guy.

Partial
03-18-2008, 07:35 PM

William Henderson was drafted with the 66th pick, which isn't far below our last 2nd round pick. It's not that ridiculous.

I believe the player NFLDraftCountdown has us taking is a tweener FB/RB. A curious pick, but he could fill the role of a power back in this offense. Mostly though, I think that McShay doesn't know this team as well as he could.

It's Scott Wright who does the NFL draft countdown stuff, but I agree in principal. Anyone know who McShay has us taking??

I suspect the first three picks will be defense.

pack4to84
03-19-2008, 04:41 AM
On draft day Atlanta would come calling to move back in the first round. With there first pick they will take OT Long. Then offer TT and the Packers there 2 second round picks to move back into the 1st rd to select there QB of the future. Atlanta holds the 38 and 47 picks of the second round.

packrulz
03-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Here's Vandermuse's chat from yeterday: http://forums.packersnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=33796&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

run pMc
03-19-2008, 08:34 AM
On draft day Atlanta would come calling to move back in the first round. With there first pick they will take OT Long. Then offer TT and the Packers there 2 second round picks to move back into the 1st rd to select there QB of the future. Atlanta holds the 38 and 47 picks of the second round.

Depending on who's still on the board, that might be a very tempting scenario. Can you imagine TT loading up on CB's and OL's in R2?

DonHutson
03-19-2008, 11:18 AM

Depending on who's still on the board, that might be a very tempting scenario. Can you imagine TT loading up on CB's and OL's in R2?

I'd take that and never look back. There's at least a dozen players that would be appropriate for the #30 pick. You'll still have a choice between many of them at #38. One or two may even still be on the board at #47.